[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

8 minutes ago, sanaeozora said:

To be honest, I hope Shi-jin is never forced to choose between his job and Mo-yeon. He genuinely loves what he does for a living and it would be heartbreaking to see him having to give it up. 

Same thing for me too...I don't want any of them to give up what ever it is that they are doing now simply because they are already doing great jobs as is...I really love that they are complementing each other in doing their jobs and that they can bring out the best in each other while doing them...So YSJ giving up his job for his love should be out in the story's course this time..

I want YSJ to earn his first star and take a picture with his father, mother, and KMY...hehehe...

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Tinkiebell said:

Yikes. Please don't let that happen.

I said this before, but I'm gonna say it again: I hope KES wouldn't go down that route where SJ will be the one having to push MY away. I'd honestly be disappointed and annoyed, because it's one of the most typical things that the K-drama land has to offer: the noble idiocy syndrome. Please don't succumb to it!

I mean, we already have one character (SDY) in this drama going down that noble idiocy route, sacrificing his own happiness with the assumption that he's bringing happiness to the person he's sacrificing for, YMJ, when in fact, his sacrifice only makes YMJ even more unhappy. 

I wouldn't want to see SJ do that. I hope whatever challenge comes their way, he will fight it alongside her, together, not while driving the other one away. I think their love should be strong enough at this point for this, no?

Come on SJ, you've been slayed 3 times and yet you live. It's your turn to slay now, remember? 

I have faith in Writer-nim. :) 

(But having said all this and having seen enough K-drama to know how they work, Writer-nim, if you think you reaaaally have to go down that ridiculous route anyway... like like if there's really no other way to keep their romance a suspense for the viewers, then fine. Do it. Just please don't let it drag for more than one episode. No, not even. 30 minutes. 30 minutes is all I'm willing to give. Deal?

I agree with you. DY's case as noble idiocy is enough for me and I am hoping for a change!! Let's face it: KMY did change in the episode 8, little by little, she showed by her words and actions that she cared for YSJ and the confession was only the cherry on the cake. After that, YSJ will pursue her even more. Just like KMY rejected YSJ a couple of times, DY did the exact same thing, he kept pushing YMJ over and over again. Sometimes, just like KMY, he couldn't help himself to reveal his feelings for YMJ.

So I am hoping that the next episode will be also a turning point for DY as well. Actually, KMY and DY have been acting the same way but for a different reason and it is about time that DY starts seeing Ltn General for whom he is and that DY's rejection doesn't contribute to YMJ's happiness. It is quite the opposite, he only contributes to her father's happiness. 

@Ahpheng I am wondering how long it takes to make one C-strip?!

• Like 14

Finally joining DotS soompi forum after silently reading this entire time. Totally appreciate all the insights and thoughts shared for every episode! All of you are just awesommeee :)

I actually have so much pent-up thoughts I would like to let out because this show is too superb and because I have been holding it in all these time. But when i started typing, my thoughts are everywhere and I can't even coherently form sentences, haha. Hopefully for a start, this makes sense because I love DotS to pieces! :heart:

Truly, this is one of the rare good dramas nowadays that has all aspects of great directing, writing and acting. Having watch countless of Korean dramas for years, this is one gem to be treasured for a long long time. I seldom come across dramas that have this many memorable scenes where I would rewatch again and again. Normally, for dramas  I love, they usually only have a few scenes spread throughout the entire course of the drama. But for DotS, I found myself hitting rewatch sooooo many time in just one episode alone - and for all 8 episodes. It is just amazing how the scenes are so well made - emotions, flow and tone all hitting the right notes and intensity at the same time. Particularly breathtaking are when Captain YSJ and KMY talk to each other. Honestly, there were times where I literally held up my breath because the feels were just too overwhelming. 

Edited by iamemilykay
  • Like 24

1 hour ago, jinkx0820 said:

Same thing for me too...I don't want any of them to give up what ever it is that they are doing now simply because they are already doing great jobs as is...I really love that they are complementing each other in doing their jobs and that they can bring out the best in each other while doing them...So YSJ giving up his job for his love should be out in the story's course this time..

I want YSJ to earn his first star and take a picture with his father, mother, and KMY...hehehe...

I think that the best compromise they can reach is by both of them realising that their chosen professions can and actually have to complement each other in order for them to save as many people as possible.

But @melissala when I spoke about Shi-jin being forced to choose I was thinking of the Lt Gen asking him to give up being with Mo-yeon or else...but as @bebebisous33 just mentioned, this drama has so far done well avoiding cliches, so I can be hopeful that we will see him taking that picture with his dad, Mo-yeon and an absurdly beautiful set of children.

• Like 13

i really have serious dilemma right now...at one side i want to watch the newest episode of Dots right away after airing and the other side i want to save it to watch it later (save the best for the last), because it will feel empty after i watched all new episode while i must waiting a week to watch new episode...but the first side always won..looks now...i become so empty and Wednesday still far away...so what i always do is just keep re watching that episodes again..

i cried again when watch ep 7 and 8....what have been this drama did to me????i cried in the last 3 episode...3 okay...though ep 8 a bit calm episode but still i cried because KMY..yeah thats why i found her characters more amazing because she can makes me cried..she acted so well as KMY...i never thought SHK can makes me cried like that..even just a bit but still my tears fall down..

i watched ep 6 again with my mom... and i tell her, mom do you remember her???she was ji eun in Full House, and my mom said i know, i just want to ask you is that woman is jieun..hahahahaha...the one that always being called as rice cooker or birds in full house,,hahahaha..When the earthquake scene happen in ep 6, she talk to me...wah that scene  is awesome..how to made it to be like a real earthquake like that?? (even my dad shocked too watch that scene)...thats how well done that scene being made by the staff..even my mom and dad that not a kdrama viewers can make comment like that. i kinda proud to make them watch a bit of this drama.yeah because yeah this drama is amazing..Their popularity is equal with the quality...quality of acting, script or story, directing...cinematography, etc...its not a perfect drama but the good things in this drama makes me forget about the bad things..just dont judge from the popularity one...this drama also has quality...its worth to watch and really worth to spent 16 hours...2 months to watch this drama..for now i still dint care about the ending, and in this half of drama, i think this drama really maintain its quality.

wah....so the next OST will be JUNSU?????? heat-trick then JUNSU and JOONGKI...junsu sang ost from joongki last 3 dramas..waowwwwww....i cant wait to listen the full song,,,lets slay the ranks again!!!!!! i will comment about ep7 and 8 tomorrow, because its already night here...i think i will ended up wrote a long post again when made comment about this drama..really cant help....i wonder what kind of lipstick kiss will be.....after wine kiss now lisptick kiss????hmmmm...i am so curious yeah... (upsss sorry shinee i change your song's lyrics)

• Like 18

15 minutes ago, sanaeozora said:

I think that the best compromise they can reach is by both of them realising that their chosen professions can and actually have to complement each other in order for them to save as many people as possible.

But @melissala when I spoke about Shi-jin being forced to choose I was thinking of the Lt Gen asking him to give up being with Mo-yeon or else...but as @bebebisous33 just mentioned, this drama has so far done well avoiding cliches, so I can be hopeful that we will see him taking that picture with his dad, Mo-yeon and an absurdly beautiful set of children.

lol I think if that happened he'd be like... bye!  I really do hope the Lt. Gen gets over his man crush for SJ and realizes that DY is a great guy and would be a great son-in-law who is not going to harm his MJ's career in any way. 

And rewatching the episode, man some of the Viki comments seriously do not understand MY and really expected her to go fall all over him crying when SJ came out joking and making light of nearly dying.  She was really worried about him and said so herself, but she didn't like how he joked about it.  I totally like her "sourpuss" ways of being the adult in the relationship.  She balances out his more carefree attitude and adds a sense of seriousness and reality to their interactions.  

• Like 17

3 hours ago, smiletall said:

Honestly, I don't care why SJK is being so stingy with talking about how it was to work with SHK, but I would just like her to get some well-deserved credit. The SJK craze is like a wall right now, and he COMPLETELY deserves all that praise.  And while I don't really expect the same public recognition that SJK is getting, it would be nice if at least her lead co-actor recognized the work and effort she put in publicly. I know for sure he does. I just want him to say it damn it >.< (if only so I can read it.) Am I being too selfish in that respect? lol

I do like that Jin Goo and Kim Ji Won at least are more willing to talk.  So at least there's that. 

I agree, it's not even a question of who deserves how much praise but usually co-stars attribute the success of the drama to each other. Like JIS and SHK during TWTWB - he would compliment her and then she would compliment him, it was just such a healthy process. But, I don't think it's because he's in a relationship because he could use the same tactic JIS did - compliment his co-star but also draw a clear line in the public's mind that you only view each other as friends and professionals.

Something must be up which we obviously have no clue about and we'll never get to know, but I believe that the atmosphere during the drama was in fact very friendly between all co-stars. I've read many accounts of the supporting cast members who have said lovely things about the work experience. 

• Like 16

@ilovesjk

8 minutes ago, ilovesjk said:

Even the time he was filming Nice Guy, his mention of Moon Chae Won was very scarce and when he did mention her, he made sure to mention her with Park Shi Yeon. Given that Song Joong Ki is skilled in the PR department, I usually take what he says with a grain of salt. Not that he’s a liar but we have to understand the nature of his career and this is likewise with all actors.

Ah, that's actually good to hear for me. Since I was actually hoping it was cuz he was just being too cautious, too professional, and careful with his words in public. 

I never doubted the quality of their personal and working relationship since I know they most likely do get along. I did see the secret photo a fan took of SJK, LKS, and JIS taking a pic with SHK's poster add and laughed cuz it was too cute. Plus, SHK would not post pictures of him and JG on her IG if they did not get along. 

But it's just a bit frustrating when his other peers are encouraging each other and he's pretty mum on the topic. I do understand he wants to prevent a scandal most likely in consideration for SHK (I mean she was getting so much heat on that article about on-screen couples that became real life couples and the comments were basically.. leave SJK alone! -.- just, really).  But I also think it's to manage his image since he is really booming right now. So whether it's his consideration or his management, I don't think it's a weird coincidence he's not saying very much is all. And i wish he would. And it's not cuz I ship them in real life. (If they date or don't date, I'd be happy either way). But because I feel like SHK deserves some acknowledgement and credit too. Even if it's not that big. It's still a kind thing to do. And I believe there are ways of expressing it while maintaining professionalism. But I also get that other people may read way too much into it and so he might be more likely to err on the side of caution. Kind of like, better safe than sorry type thing :/

• Like 12

Hmm you all have to remember how private Korean stars are. SHK has become very private over these years and SJK has as well. In Korea, the more private clean-cut image you have the more like-able you are. While in the USA and other places you can hug your costars and keep saying good things and post pics on IG in Korea it is tougher, especially when both are single and of the status that SHK has especially (she pretty much helped found the Hallyu). Ji Won and Jin Goo can post more stuff because he is married and has a son so no one will say anything. I know that these reasons suck but just because they are not "looking" close does not mean that they did not bond. 
I 100% believe that good chemistry cannot be created on-screen between two people who cannot get along off-screen. SJK probably just does not want to create any issues in the public's eyes for SHK so he doesn't comment much.

Don't stress so much and just enjoy watching the show! If you want to discuss more about them the Song Song couple thread is open as well :) 

• Like 20

8 minutes ago, joongkyo said:

Something must be up which we obviously have no clue about and we'll never get to know, but I believe that the atmosphere during the drama was in fact very friendly between all co-stars. I've read many accounts of the supporting cast members who have said lovely things about the work experience. 

I agree. I think they all worked really well together. And the drama is evident of the good teamwork.

Whether something is up. OR NOTHING AT ALL. And it's just me. I have no problem acknowledging that ahaha

But I do think that it's important for co-stars to recognize each other, even if the public doesn't recognize them equally. It just seems like a good thing to do. And like you said, a healthy process. 

Oh wells. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, gangurhar said:

Don't stress so much and just enjoy watching the show! If you want to discuss more about them the Song Song couple thread is open as well :) 

Exactly!!!

REMINDER from moderator: About Song Song couple or SHK or SJK there are other threads for that!!

Please try to post something that has to do with the drama itself... not the actors or actresses!

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, smiletall said:

I agree. I think they all worked really well together. And the drama is evident of the good teamwork.

Whether something is up. OR NOTHING AT ALL. And it's just me. I have no problem acknowledging that ahaha

But I do think that it's important for co-stars to recognize each other, even if the public doesn't recognize them equally. It just seems like a good thing to do. And like you said, a healthy process. 

Oh wells. 

Don't worry, I know where you're coming from - I asked the same questions to myself and then I realised SJK did this project despite the year 2014-2015 being the worst patch of SHK's career. If he was so supremely careful, Blossom and he would never have done this project once they knew SHK was associated with it. It's his return project, the stakes are extremely high for him , so I think that's proof that SJK would have had actually "wanted" to work opposite her. Maybe we could take some comfort in that?.

But, yes it would make me much more happier if he could vocalise what we know to be true. Things seem to be taking a turn for the better though, last few articles many of the popular comments were about SHK's performance. 

Moving on!. Why, exactly is MJ's dad coming to Uruk?.

Daniel mentions something about human trafficking, which made me think those young kids might be potential victims. I think KMY is going to get involved and that's how she gets caught by Argus's gang. When SJ comes to rescue her, then Argus puts 2 and 2 together and realises what is brewing between our main OTP . Because I don't think he really paid attention to her at the funeral.

• Like 6