[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

So today over our small town military helicopters were flying (they're doing some practice thing idk the details) but all I could think about while working was YSJ and the helicopter scene with KMY :) 

totally distracted me at work 

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, d172 said:

Should I call it pre-withdrawal syndrome? 

We need a plan to handle the post DOTS scenario :D ... all of us!!! Lets devise one quickly!!

I love the kdrama songs but this probably the first kdrama for me where the OST is as good as the drama itself!! I find myself replaying these songs (although I can't understand any korean except the standard words love, missing, fate etc)

• Like 9

Just came back from all the madness of a real world and listen to this song. It made me smile and sad at the same time... Coz too many things happen in the real life... I want to go back to you ....

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, sanaeozora said:

That's what I think/fear will happen too, especially the part of Lt Gen messing with Mo-yeon when she might already be shaken up post kidnapping AND post attempt to push her away by Shi-jin, she might already be vulnerable and creepy Lt Gen in Shi-jin Obssessed Mode is the last thing she needs. Hopefully she'll find the strength to fight for her man!

I am expecting something different: KMY might decide to stay by YSJ's side after the abduction, while YSJ will decide to give her up. On the other hand, YSJ might stop Ltn General from meddling in his love life first... so far, he has never objected to the marriage between him and YMJ because it didn't seem important to him. Now, YSJ is with KMY, he might change his behaviour and make a statement to the Ltn General. Then KMY will be abducted and YSJ will be surprised and feel responsible for it.

Honestly, I wish something different (YSJ giving her up is so cliche to me)...  I wished, he doesn't push her away, but he is suddenly questioning his job as such. He told KMY once, someone has to do this job and it will be time for him if someone else can replace him. I wish, this would trigger something in YSJ: to think more about his future and a change of career maybe... and ask himself, what is more important to him?

• Like 17

Guest Tinkiebell
1 hour ago, gangurhar said:

I feel that YSJ will push KMY away after her kidnapping thing. He will probably feel responsible for it and will feel that his job is too dangerous. General Yoon will probably play a role in this because he won't be happy seeing YSJ not with MJ and Yoon can ruin YSJ's military future.

but I also feel that KMY this time will fight for them and won't let YSJ go 

47 minutes ago, sanaeozora said:

That's what I think/fear will happen too, especially the part of Lt Gen messing with Mo-yeon when she might already be shaken up post kidnapping AND post attempt to push her away by Shi-jin, she might already be vulnerable and creepy Lt Gen in Shi-jin Obssessed Mode is the last thing she needs. Hopefully she'll find the strength to fight for her man!

Yikes. Please don't let that happen.

I said this before, but I'm gonna say it again: I hope KES wouldn't go down that route where SJ will be the one having to push MY away. I'd honestly be disappointed and annoyed, because it's one of the most typical things that the K-drama land has to offer: the noble idiocy syndrome. Please don't succumb to it!

I mean, we already have one character (SDY) in this drama going down that noble idiocy route, sacrificing his own happiness with the assumption that he's bringing happiness to the person he's sacrificing for, YMJ, when in fact, his sacrifice only makes YMJ even more unhappy. 

I wouldn't want to see SJ do that. I hope whatever challenge comes their way, he will fight it alongside her, together, not while driving the other one away. I think their love should be strong enough at this point for this, no?

Come on SJ, you've been slayed 3 times and yet you live. It's your turn to slay now, remember? 

I have faith in Writer-nim. :) 

(But having said all this and having seen enough K-drama to know how they work, Writer-nim, if you think you reaaaally have to go down that ridiculous route anyway... like like if there's really no other way to keep their romance a suspense for the viewers, then fine. Do it. Just please don't let it drag for more than one episode. No, not even. 30 minutes. 30 minutes is all I'm willing to give. Deal?

1 minute ago, bebebisous33 said:

I am expecting something different: KMY might decide to stay by YSJ's side after the abduction, while YSJ will decide to give her up. On the other hand, YSJ might stop Ltn General from meddling in his love life first... so far, he has never objected to the marriage between him and YMJ because it didn't seem important to him. Now, YSJ is with KMY, he might change his behaviour and make a statement to the Ltn General. Then KMY will be abducted and YSJ will be surprised and feel responsible for it.

Honestly, I wish something different (YSJ giving her up is so cliche to me)...  I wished, he doesn't push her away, but he is suddenly questioning his job as such. He told KMY once, someone has to do this job and it will be time for him if someone else can replace him. I wish, this would trigger something in YSJ: to think more about his future and a change of career maybe... and ask himself, what is more important to him?

May be the kidnapping will also change KMY's perspective of YJS's job... about why he chose to be a soldier. Also in a previous preview didn't they show her driving a jeep into the fight scene...(or may be i was delusional!)

My feeling from the preview scene with Lt Gen. Yoon is that he is asking YMJ and SDY abt their final answer. Maybe he will give up.

• Like 8

KMY in her own way she already love and care on SJ even before the audio voice recording was played. Only SJ doesn't notice it.....or he just clueless(man in reality are clueless)

If only SJ understands woman, then he was not feeling being rejected thrice:

ex;  When KMY said... i've been comforted already by you...Thank you for coming back to me...Had it not been for you...I might've ran away today.

another one...When KMY want to join SJ to rescue the boy who was still inside the collapse power plant....She translate the medicine  prescription into English...(SJ himself was train to read prescription) She just want to make conversation on him and to make sure that he must take care going down there.....You notice how worried she is when they lost contact on SJ .....and when they bring the young boy out and she saw the writing on his hand...KMY remember  the first time she saw it.

• Like 17

30 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

After the last two episodes, I don't think it'll happen for those reasons.  SongSong is subverting cliches so far, so I hope KES doesn't go down that obvious road.   I do think and hope that he'll start to question his job though.  Being a special forces solider is well and good for time, but there also comes a time when you have to let over people take over.  There are other things he can do to help people, that also allow him to have a more normal life.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, melissala said:

After the last two episodes, I don't think it'll happen for those reasons.  SongSong is subverting cliches so far, so I hope KES doesn't go down that obvious road.   I do think and hope that he'll start to question his job though.  Being a special forces solider is well and good for time, but there also comes a time when you have to let over people take over.  There are other things he can do to help people, that also allow him to have a more normal life.

Exactly... but to me, the drama hasn't used the typical ingredients for a k-drama:

- no love triangle

- no evil plans from a third part to break the OTP couple aso

Their dialogues were so well written, KMY and YSJ really listened to each other and they liked each other very early (so no hate first then come to love you after time passes!). The reasons KMy had for rejecting YSJ were understandable to me and I wasn't upset with her at all.

As conclusion so far, KSE has been avoiding a lot of cliches, that's why I am hoping, it will stay that way.

@Ahpheng Thanks for mentioning me again! I am glad that you enjoyed reading my analysis!!:)

• Like 18

Guest Tinkiebell
14 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Exactly... but to me, the drama hasn't used the typical ingredients for a k-drama:

- no love triangle

- no evil plans from a third part to break the OTP couple aso

Their dialogues were so well written, KMY and YSJ really listened to each other and they liked each other very early (so no hate first then come to love you after time passes!). The reasons KMy had for rejecting YSJ were understandable to me and I wasn't upset with her at all.

As conclusion so far, KSE has been avoiding a lot of cliches, that's why I am hoping, it will stay that way.

@Ahpheng Thanks for mentioning me again! I am glad that you enjoyed reading my analysis!!:)

Adding to the list:

- A cool and amazing male lead in K-drama land doesn't have to come from an elite power (aka Chaebol) family.

- K-drama male lead doesn't have to start off being an arrogant and rude jerk.

- No need for a slow romance build-up. Immediate attraction in the first episode, first date in the second episode, first kiss at the end of the third episode works too ;) 

So yeah, KES has managed to steer away from these cliches. So, hopefully she won't have to go down that noble idiocy route with the main couple.  

Again, having faith in you, Writer-nim! ^_^

3 minutes ago, sanaeozora said:

To be honest, I hope Shi-jin is never forced to choose between his job and Mo-yeon. He genuinely loves what he does for a living and it would be heartbreaking to see him having to give it up. 

To me, it would be great if he could come to a compromise... not just give up his job or his love for KMY! There is surely a different solution! 

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, sanaeozora said:

To be honest, I hope Shi-jin is never forced to choose between his job and Mo-yeon. He genuinely loves what he does for a living and it would be heartbreaking to see him having to give it up. 

It's never a good idea to change just for your SO.  I wouldn't want him to have to chose between the two.  That's a recipe for disaster and bitterness in the future.  He should only do it if he wants to move on, but not because of anyone else.  MY loves him as he is right now, and his job is such a huge part of who he is even if she dislikes the job.  Being forced to "settle down" isn't what I was thinking of at all, but maybe reevaluating what he really wants in life.  I don't expect MY to go back to her fancy Seoul hospital either at the end, so I can see them both changing to suit each other's goals and ambition.  SJ will never be happy as a general sitting in an office though.  I just can't see it.  

Though I also agree above that relationships take compromise.  It doesn't have to be either MY or his job, but they can work out something. 

• Like 13