[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

1 hour ago, CatWhiskers said:

Now I know why K.Will's OST for Dots is saved and only release for this week's episode.  The title says it all "Say it! What are you doing?" Seems to refer to our KMY. Except hers is more like, "Broadcast It Yo!!"

*2 hours later.....* and I am still replaying that last scene. Ah.....I will keep hitting that replay button until next Wed.

I agree with that, sort of. The title "Say it! What are you doing?" refers to her not being able to confess yet. So the song is like "Just say it! What are you waiting for? Your man is going insane waiting for you". That's what I think. 

Edit: It played at the ending of episode 8 because it was confession time ;) 

• Like 14

I could not enjoy today show Coz I am in the midst preparing for my interview tomorrow. Is driving me nuts - but after looking listening to this song and thinking of all the crazy SJ-MY, DY-MJ and the crews hardwork.....  And oh yeah that "silly women" who have her recording voice played of all the days.... I knew it when she record it at that time - the thing would come back to hunt her :D

That last scene in episode 8 - is a to die for.... CAPTAIN SJ - be kind to the Women mankind....

• Like 15

3 hours ago, yaqiyuki said:

제9부
스피커로 흘러나오는 유언에 모연은 상황실로 뛰어 들어와 핸드폰을 사수해 빛의 속도로 도망간다. 
시진은 특전사답게 창문으로 몸을 날려 모연을 따라가고..! 
한편, 갑작스런 윤중장의 우르크 방문에 긴장하는 네 사람이다.

EP09
While her testament was being broadcasted through the speaker, Mo Yeon dashes towards the control room and runs away in the speed of light with her phone.
Like an army ranger, Si Jin flungs his body towards the window to follow Mo Yeon..!
Meanwhile, the sudden visit to Uruk by Lieutenant General Yoon makes the 4 of them nervous.

Thanks for the preview for the next episode.  The word "testament" sounds so odd to me and I interpreted the preview slightly differently.  I hope you don't mind but I read the preview as:

While her last wishes were transmitted through the speakers, Mo Yeon rushed to the control room to take back her phone and flee at the speed of light.

As would be true of the special forces, SJ flies through the  window to chase after Mo Yeon..!

Meanwhile, four people are nervous by the sudden arrival of Lieutenant General Yoon to Uruk

• Like 17

HAHAHAHA! Waaa I've been squealing up to the last min. Just when I thought that we wouldn't be getting anything from this episode.. NOT EVEN A HUG!! But the ending is sooo much better! I DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING!! I'm too happy and giggly I can break the things surrounding me.:wub: What a funny way to confess KMY! And for all the people of Urk to hear? Haha! That epic priceless smile at the end took my heart away. That sweet tooth-decaying smile definitely deserves an award! Feeling like a billion bucks, eh? Shi Jin? Now I can sleep with a smile on my face. One whole week won't be as cruel for I think we'll be getting 2 KISSES!! (Cartwheels woooh!) One of the best and such a feel-good episode! Aaaand the best cliffhanger. I LOVE IT!! :heart: 

RUN MO YEON, RUN!!!

• Like 17

reading all your post and comments and screen capture......makes me grinning ear to ear and smile like a fool in the middle of night....hahahahahahahaha..

kyaaaaaaaa....we got many lesson today from uri beauty doctor KMY....hahahahahahahahhaha... i will wrote in my note all that lesson that i got today...hahaha...so i wont be KMY 2.0 later...such embarrassing moment, but cant help thats really cute toooo...YSJ smile in the end...i am the one that melted and dying here.......

Spoiler

song for YSJ tonight :

Hey 거기 미소가 예쁜 남자 바로 너 너어어어 아아아아
날 미치게 하는 그런 남자 몸매도 얼굴도 시선강탈

Hey you, guy with the pretty smile Youuuu Ahhhh

You are a man that makes me go crazy You steal looks with your body and face

(mamamoo you are the best) hahahahahahahaha...yoo si jin ssi.....you are the best!!!!!!

okay tonight like many of you already wrote..... i will said many thanks to YOU DR DANIEL SPENCER.....you did a very very great job tonight!!!!!!!!! and ofc special thanks to WATERPROOF PHONE and SPEAKER....you makes this magical twist in the ending....love it so much....you three deserved daesang award in supporting role at tonight episode and you are like best matchmakers in the song song world....hahahahahahaha....but the all that happen because of uri genius KES chakanim....chakanim jinjja daedanhadaaaaa!!!!!!! now how i can wait until next wednesday!!!!!!

ah...finally K.will ost is out!!!!! i cant stop playing it....repeat mode on.....this song really fit with the ending today....hahahahaha...malhaw mwohae??????because this song already spoiled since first episode, i already can sing along with this song...yeah i am on karaoke mode on to this midnight!!!!!what have you done Dots....how you can be this wonderful!!!!!! its great that all 6 OSTs becomes big 6 in melon ranks...huwaaaaa....how cool....all 6 okay....all osts that already released...cool!!!!even all idol singer song being kicked out from big six at this hour...i hope tonight we can break 30% rating!!!!!yeah its the time..... *pray with all troopers here*

ps: wah i enjoyed reading theory about the connection from the tittle and story of this drama....how can you make that theory???even until today i still questioning why this drama being tittle dots....its great analysis especially you connect it to greek myth...i love reading everything about greek myth,,,

• Like 19

'Descendants of the Sun' Song Hye-kyo stays next to Song Joong-ki

2016/03/17 | 

photo702893.jpg

On KBS 2TV's 'Descendants of the Sun' episode 8, Kang Mo-yeon (Song Hye-kyo) gave up on returning to Korea.

The Hyeseong Hospital medical team decided to return to Korea. Park Byeong-soo (Kim Byeong-cheol) asked Kang Mo-yeon to make a list of the medical team members, who would return to Korea.

Kang Mo-yeon went to see Yoo Si-jin (Song Joong-ki), who was under disciplinary action. She told him, "It's an unfair and inflexible group". As Yoo Si-jin responded, "The principles are still alive", Kang Mo-yeon said, "I hope you will survive not the principles". And then she gave the medicine to him. Yoo Si-jin said, "Thank you for saving my life".

Kang Mo-yeon said, "I'll give you the list of the returning medical team soon. I'm on the way to a meeting. Yoo Si-jin asked, "Are you on the list too?" and Kang Mo-yeon said, "This is the chance for me to leave". Yoo Si-jin couldn't say anything.

Kang Mo-yeon met the Hyeseong Hospital medical team and asked, "Please let me know if you want to return to Korea". Ha Ja-ae (Suh Jung-yeon) and Choi Min-ji (Park Hwan-hee) yielded their air tickets to patients. Song Sang-hyeon (Lee Seung-joon) couldn't help but give up on returning to Korea because Ha Ja-ae decided to stay. Kang Mo-yeon also gave up on returning to Korea.

HANCINEMA

Spoiler

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, miri13 said:

I do have a question: Who is Daniel and his wife?  I can't figure out who or what they are.  They are so strangely dumped into the storyline, with a gun first for her and then him at the memorial ceremony that SJ attended.  

Their character bios say somethings that make no sense in light of what I saw in the episodes, especially LYH.  Supposedly her father was a eastern medicine doctor and that is why she is good with drawing blood, acupuncture and picking out herbs in the mountains. While helping her father, she sees him get shot and she gets shot only to wake up to see Daniel. She is grateful to him and follows him through flood, mudlide, tsunamis, earthquake (name of disaster and it is probably listed).  I assume he operated on her and saved her.

Regarding Daniel, he is a peacemaker doctor who left his wealth to help people.  He graduated from a very reputable medical school to go into service. He is talented and great visuals.  More importantly, he has a strong mentality but that gets broken down over time and then he meets YH.  They come to Uruk.  

Though it is not in the character bios, but in one of the episodes, did it say YH is North Korean?  So then is Daniel a spy?  What is a peacemaker?  Is he supposed to be in organization like doctors without borders?  If so, then I doubt a spy.  The mystery couple that makes no sense in this plot...yet.

I have been wondering that myself. The writer seems to be giving very little back stories to characters, aside from Si Jin, Dae Yeong and Myeong Joo. Even Mo Yeon, we know very little about her except that she's a doctor, nothing about her in the past. I guess because we only get 16 episodes there is no time for everyone, but I hope there is at least time for the ones who are relevant to the plot. I do hope Daniel and Ye Hwa's back stories can be explored. As someone pointed out in a previous comment, Daniel seems to be too good to be true, he may turn out to be a bad guy in the end. 

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, miri13 said:

Captures so perfectly what I am sure many were feeling.  It is good to see you here my friend.  Died of laughter watching the scene.  Died reading this.  People at work think I am mad...stressed about work when I am really just laughing my richard simmons off.

BRAVO Kim Eun Suk.  I don't know how she did it, but even though the horrors of the earthquake, there is so much humor in the dialogue.  When I think it is going to be an epic melo moment, instead it is hilarious.  Plus the PD and cinematographer did a tremendous job to juxtapose the moments with lighting and darkness. 

I loved this "confession" by MY, for example. We think it is going to be another sad or nostalgic song to help the weary and instead we get the funniest and most embarrassing moment.  Even without words it is hilarious, but the words/sounds she makes are hilarious.  Is it just me?

MY:  (sob sob)  If I knew I would be in an accident like this, I should have just tossed aside the work to be a professor or doctor (boo hoo)

SJ-ssi, are you coming?  You are not coming. Not coming. (sob)  I don't think I can persevere until he comes. (sob sob)

Even then, he will find me first if I die. (sob sob).  If I knew I was going to die like this, I should have just confessed truthfully. (SJ smirking in disbelief and delight as he hears it) [Love the backlight on him while there is soft edges and shadows to show how intimate the moment could be, BUT IT IS NOT so adding to the comical nature of this scene)

I received a kiss from such a cool prince who appeared before me. Should have done my best to confess. (heave sob sob - see her heave run run for dear life) [But she is running through the dark barrack area that highlights with two soldiers about to go on patrol - juxtaposition that highlights how out of place this confession is]

BUT THE SCENE I LOVED MORE was between SJ and trapped boy M, whose name I can't quite remember, after the stupid boss caused a collision.

Spoiler

Everything is dark after the opening collapsed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIkB6smfSko

M: Ajhussi, are you dead?  [then shouts]  IS THERE ANYONE THERE.  THERE IS A DEAD PERSON HERE.

SJ: (slowly wakes up) I am not an ajhussi (old man).

M:  Are you ok?  I thought you died ajhussi.

SJ:  I told you I am not an ajhussi. (as he gets up.) [I love how the lighting changes from the dark to one beam from above hitting both their faces, as if saying have hope and humor even in darkness]

M:  How can that be important right now?[me snickering]

SJ:  THAT is always important. [me guffawing] (sounds of grunts from pain)  Did you get hurt anywhere?

M:  Are you worrying about me?  What?  Look at you, you are bleeding from your wrist right now.

SJ: Your feet has been released.

M:  What is the point of that?  We are still trapped.

SJ: Big Boss - is anyone at central?  Central?  Alpha team?

M: Now connection lost.  We are going to die here. [lighting is darker now around M, highlighting back to the seriousness of their situation]

SJ: We are going to get out of here alive. Hey dude - don't you have family to go back to?

M:  I have no family.  Do you have any? (SJ starts wrapping up his arm.)

SJ: You heard the voice of the woman doctor through the transmission?  I really like her.  But I have been rejected three times already. Slayed but still live. (lighting behind SJ is brighter so it seems not as dark) [meanwhile - I am starting to laugh because this response is so out of place]

M:  (groans) wow, still living. If it was me, I would have just died.  

SJ: I will definitely overcome and conquer. [ME - laughing out loud and in admiration]

(scenes when MY is getting ready to go in if there is an opening)

SJ:  That woman right now is outside dying of worrying about me and thinking why didn't I accept his confession?

M:  So you are satisfied right now?

SJ:  No, worried.

I loved the dialogue and change of pace.  Everything could have been more dramatic in the sense of dire hopelessness, but instead it is dramatic due to the infusion of comedy.  I love it.

There are great dramas due to brilliant plot, acting, and directing that is so tight (like Signal).  DotS is not that for me, although it has parts of it. But then there are dramas that CAPTURES YOUR SOUL, and won't let you go even though you see all of its freckles and warts. In fact, I fall due to the warts?  I love the cheese and unrealistic aspects of it, which all highlights for me that there is beauty in the small things and key relationships despite the chaos and horrible people around you.

Not just you, but MY's ugly boohooing crying made it even funnier than it should have been.   The moment when she recorded that was embarrassing enough for her, but to have everyone hear it... Plus what she says is just funny too.  MJ is going to have a field day teasing her :P

And lol SJ thinking MY was going to run into his arms with worry.  She only regrets it inside, she'll never let you know.   I like that he refuses to give up though!  You can overcome it!  Don't die SJ, you gotta win her over. 

The balance is really well done between comedy and drama I agree.  Some dramas really can't do it that well, but DoTS does a great job making you laugh one minute and making you cry the next. 

• Like 18

14 minutes ago, miri13 said:

I do have a question: Who is Daniel and his wife?  I can't figure out who or what they are.  They are so strangely dumped into the storyline, with a gun first for her and then him at the memorial ceremony that SJ attended.  

Their character bios say somethings that make no sense in light of what I saw in the episodes, especially LYH.  Supposedly her father was a eastern medicine doctor and that is why she is good with drawing blood, acupuncture and picking out herbs in the mountains. While helping her father, she sees him get shot and she gets shot only to wake up to see Daniel. She is grateful to him and follows him through flood, mudlide, tsunamis, earthquake (name of disaster and it is probably listed).  I assume he operated on her and saved her.

Regarding Daniel, he is a peacemaker doctor who left his wealth to help people.  He graduated from a very reputable medical school to go into service. He is talented and great visuals.  More importantly, he has a strong mentality but that gets broken down over time and then he meets YH.  They come to Uruk.  

Though it is not in the character bios, but in one of the episodes, did it say YH is North Korean?  So then is Daniel a spy?  What is a peacemaker?  Is he supposed to be in organization like doctors without borders?  If so, then I doubt a spy.  The mystery couple that makes no sense in this plot...yet.

I sometimes have this idea that Daniel works for Argus.. Like he is an "insider" for Argus at the camp.

But I hope I'm wrong. :( This is just probably me and my Western drama addiction. 

• Like 8

I just wanna laugh at myself cos everybody's all giddy about episode 8, while I'm here still crying over episode 7. :tears::sweatingbullets:

I honestly was anxious of what the viewers will feel about yesterday's episode when I was just reading the live recaps (ep 7) since most (aka regular viewers or the non-fans) will probably just watch for the "romance". But I am very grateful that the episode had so much heart you would not even think about the romance for a bit. It would not bore you and make you skip some scenes cos everything seems just so important and worthy. 

I cried so much. The scene after MY finally made a decision broke me. Add to that the heart-wrenching background music when they were laying down the dead bodies, esp. the manager. 

Anyway...

i am totally shipping Ki Beom and the young lady doctor/nurse!!!

• Like 14

all of us learn something in today's ep, right? hahaha what I learned is "stop guessing what happen next in DOTS", try to guess and fail everytime 'til now :phew:

everything I want to say about the ending you guys said it, so I will talk about sth else

Doc. JiHoon, it's ok to feel like a loser right now because as a doctor you did run away from saving your patience when he most needed, but just because you're lack of experience in this kind of situation, you choose your human instinct instead of doctor's priority. But who can blame you? You will be a father soon, you're son of a mother, husband to a wife, you need to live for them too. Be strong, get up from where you failed and you will be great. Just don't let the guilt eat you up B)

I can repeat the ending and happily waiting for ep 9 :wub: (I'm lying, I need ep. 9 now to know what will captain do with his doctor after the broadcasting confess). This week's eps are about confessing, our captain constantly, and doctor do it on broadcast :w00t: Doctor win in number of listeners :D:lol: 

• Like 21