[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

24 minutes ago, giragira said:

My thoughts after watching with subs :

• People wondering why MY seems angry with SJ. She was not angry most of the time. She was angry when he pulled the prank with her, she was also offended when he seemed to ignore her. She's being careful to draw a line because he's starting to be flirty again but she just wants to make it clear to him that she hasn't changed her mind even though she's there. So she is putting on a wall between them. 
  • I still think some scenes were contrived, and some of the dialogue didn't flow really well. "The ship is wrecked because it's bewitched" and then MY's "Were you ever bewitched?" was not a great follow up. First of all it's not a good flow, the other thing is it made it seemed like she was flirting , right before she shut him down. So  the writer's making MY giving mix signals is damn confusing for SJ to handle
  • The whole VIP -blame it on the doctor thing I do not buy it AT ALL. I think that was poor logic. Well you can just let the doctor operate on him and still blame it on the doctor if she failed. So what's the big deal about not allowing to operate? It's better logic to say, that you can't let her operate because if she fails, Korea is blamed. If you don't let her operate you'd just be following orders, and if the guy dies it's not their problem (and the doctors). 
  • They  both got a jealous moment!  love it!  I also love the part where she's just ogling shirtless guys, it helps to portray her as a normal woman who doesn't mind a bit of view. She minded having a full on relationship with SJ because I think she knows it's going to be a serious relationship if she gets into it.  Not the level of a fling! 

One interesting thing is that the production crew picked Zakynthos to shoot the scenes for Uruk because of that shipwreck.  The Greeks were very excited about this, as well as having the Korean production in their area.

One of the location scouts saw a picture on the internet of the Navagio shipwreck and decided to make it the location for the romance.  So in fact not only did they shoot in Greece because of that scene, but that scene was one of the first things conceived of in terms of blocking for the drama.

• Like 7

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Descendants of the Sun" Episode 3

photo697051.jpg

After a long week of waiting, "Descendants of the Sun" has graced us with another episode that came in at an unheard of 23.4%. Again, I can't iterate enough how slick and gorgeous it is or how fantastic the actors are in their roles. Song Joong-ki, despite his pretty face, is 100% masculine and in charge of his character while Song Hye-gyo owns the drastic change in hers. Not to mention that we finally get to see the beauty of Greece that plays the role of the country Uruk where the drama takes place. Please be sure to stick around for some home grown insight about Greece from Orion, HanCinema's own Greek goddess.

The drama has a wonderful way of transitioning from scene to scene using objects as transitional material, very much like musical composers do with different motives and themes in songs. Its use of sound and light are the most noticeable (good) side effect of having time to produce. And, of course, there is the fact that the camera revels in the natural grandeur of Greece and its expansive waters and craggy, verdant islands. It really is stunning.

Dots3Dots4

As for the plot, well, this episode was weaker than the first two. The events that occurred seemed disjointed and only included in order to show off the skills of the characters. When the episode concluded, the details fit together, but the duration of the show was a little strange in pacing. Then there are the foreign actors come to add awkwardness yet again. At least their roles served solid purposes, but the stunted line delivery and silly faces detracted from the severity of the situation - the black arms market is no paltry matter and it was hard to focus with David McInnis pointing guns at bad actors.

With that said, there was some amazing character development. Si-jin is as immature and fallible as they come. He's not good at flirting with Mo-yeon and errs many times, but he absolutely adores her. His learning curve is quick and his intuition is quicker. He can see something drastically different in her demeanor and behavior. Losing the professorship for the third time and to a reason as demeaning as nepotism has broken Mo-yeon's spirit and will to be a good doctor. She has become a ladder-climber, and Si-jin doesn't like to see it. I appreciate the disappointment he openly shows in her. He doesn't shy away from that or how he still feels about her. That emotion motivates him to push her to remember the passion she once felt as a doctor, to the point where he will hold others at gunpoint to help her save a life. A bit dramatic, but quite effective.

Dots1Dots2

Their situation is a reversal of the second episode where she criticized him for following orders that weren't for the greater good. He obviously kept it with him as his actions in the episode show. Mo-yeon and Si-jin are like mirrors for each other: being around each other forces them to reckon with themselves.

We finally get to truly meet Myung-joo who is as feisty as Dae-yeong is serious. Her appearance is quite short, but enough to render her quite likable. Onew as youthful and naive doctor Lee Chi-hoon is adorable and good for comic relief, at least for now. I saw those tears in the trailer. And I am looking forward to see how hard circumstances mold and change our characters. Until episode 4!

posterphoto697055.jpg

Orion's trivium: The beautiful beach featured in the episode is "Navagio (Shipwreck)" beach in Zakynthos, Greece. The beach is only accessible by sea and air, although there is a lookout point on a monastery at the top of the cliff and a location for rope jumping. As beautiful as the scenery is, the story behind the shipwreck is less than romantic.

The vessel, named "Panagiotis" ended up there in 1982, according to many reports, when bad weather got it stuck near the shore. The ship was actually carrying smugglers of cigarettes and there are a few versions as to how things went down. The simplest one is that it just hit the bottom near the shore after its engine failed. Another one has the Greek Navy or coastguard chasing them until they were forced to shallow waters.

According to the most interesting one, the captain and crew locked the smugglers up in order to profit off of the goods themselves. When the ship got stuck at the drop-off point, they dumped the waterproof packages into the sea, hoping it would help. As it clearly did not, the crew and smugglers simply headed for shore and were later arrested. It is said that local residents looted the vessel and took the cargo found all over the area. The authorities later gathered all the illegal items from homes near the location.

photo697050.jpg

Written by: Raine from 'Raine's Dichotomy'

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-descendants-of-the-sun-episode-3-92007.html

INTERESTING ...

• Like 15

19 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

I hope that this show will continue to do well... Successful pre-produced shows could be a thing of the future if DoTS does well and the Korean public begin to get used to this manner of productions. So far the editing looks good and promising. And SJK... My, my... He's got the right mix of boy and man in him. So very fine this specimen is. Heh...

Well it doesn't really matter what the public thinks.  They have to pre-produce because the Chinese Communist propaganda ministry (which overseas broadcasts) changed their decree in early 2015 so that all foreign streaming shows have to be pre-approved in their entirety before they can be broadcast in China.  It was in large part to try to stifle Korean dramas in China, and to get Chinese to simply steal the content as it aired in Korea instead of contributing to the Korean economy or countries by legally licensing the content but the Koreans just adjusted their production schedule.

From now on almost all the big budget Korean productions will be pre-produced.

• Like 6

Hi chingu deul, this is my first post in this thread.. I'm coming to this forum after finishing the 1st and 2nd episode last night but not manage to write here yet. Here I come after watching the 3rd episode this morning, can't wait to watch the next episode with Engsub by tomorrow. However, I'll watch it first on air without sub, anyone have the streaming link? Please share it with me, appreciate it, kamsahamnida :D

When the first time I saw the trailer, I thought this is a movie since the trailer is so interesting as movie. I'm sooo happy to found out that this is a drama which means I can enjoy Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo relationship more longer. Looking forward about all other character as well. The plot story also feel fresh and making my heart pumping almost at every scenes. No wonder this drama has achieved rating above 20% only at 3rd episode. Seems like it will keep increasing by seeing how interesting the story will go from the next preview.

This drama seems like it's produce by a movie production team, we can see from the acting of each character, the Ost, the editing, the lightning, the effect, and many more. I'm sure all of u also agree with me, hehe :D 

Song Joong Ki also looks so mature and so cool in this drama, love him so much :wub: added to that Song Hye Kyo also looks so pretty as a doctor, no wonder all patients will always choose her.. :D

Good job for the production team, PD-nim, writer-nim and all who are meritorious of producing this drama. :heart:

• Like 13

2 hours ago, dienummereins said:

I reaaallyy realllyy hope the patient won't die. it will become a very complicated situation for our OTP

But somehow I predict he'll die. It might be the scene from next episode preview where SJ is on detention and MY burst into tears

yes. you see in the preview that have coffin like that. 

and have the bad guy the american guy lol 

TTTT.TTTTT

• Like 3

Descendants of the Sun Episode 3 Recap

Posted on March 2, 2016 by ockoala

hsdsd.jpg

It’s fantastic that a pre-produced big budget drama like Descendants of the Sun is getting the ratings enough to likely recoup and justify the cost. It’s important so that production companies remain willing to take such risks and continue to produce watchable fare that elevate the quality of K-drama entertainment. DotS is cheesy without being corny, like a best of compilation of K-drama classics packaged in a sleek modern update. The music is calming down heading into the third episode, as is the fast-paced action once everyone reunites in the fictional country of Urk.

Kim Eun Sook doesn’t force the OTP romance in the least, once the coincidences and immediate chemistry is established, now Shi Jin and Mo Yeon take their time to try and figure out how to work in close proximity without getting too close. Shi Jin tries first to keep Mo Yeon at a distance but caves faster while she seemed irked that he wasn’t still as interested in her but once he revives some of their sparkling banter then she shuts him down again. Poor Shi Jin – forever Mo Yeon blocked lol!  Her emotions aren’t terribly consistent or intense but feel plausible to me, like a woman trying to figure out her career and love life but willing for some give and take.

http://koalasplayground.com/2016/03/02/descendants-of-the-sun-episode-3-recap/#more-73363

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Kỳ Thần Đỗ said:

I assume that the result would be more serious  in term of diplomatic. Cause the patient is not normal one but President of the country and his staff denied to operate. I guessed that the operation will be successful but SJ stitt get detention for not complying orders. That is why I dont really buy the scene. As a commander, he should think for the whole picture. What will be in worst situation and who will take a responsibility? How serious the result could be?  May be I think too much in this case. It is just a drama, dont take it too serious. KKKK

Who said that SHK is overacting? I love her cute expression and I believe that most of us have the same feeling. Dont listen to those negative comments, SHK, Keep fighting. Your drama will be the best one of 2016!!!!

yeaaa. my bf just watch this episode and he also think like you *as he is not korean drama viewers like us*, he think so ridiculous. in the real life, most of the police and the doctor just put hands up cuz there will be no benefit for both of them AT ALL. then specially u are handling with this kind of VIPs....

maybe we cant take it serious bcoz this is just a drama LOLOL. 

• Like 6

Descendants of the Sun Continues to Dominate the K-drama Competition

February has been a great month for Korean dramas. The three major K-dramas which started back in January – Moorim School, Madame Antoine, and Cheese in the Trap – continued onward with steady ratings. Even with the latter receiving much backlash from fans because of its divergence from its source, the web comic by Soonki could not dampen the K-drama success February had overall.

To be frank, the reason why February was such a good month for K-dramas is for two new dramas that made their debut that month. The first was Please Come Back, Mister, which marks the return of Jung Ji Hoon (better known as Rain) to K-dramas. Many fans anticipated Rain’s return because his drama made its debut with double-digit ratings in its debut for Seoul National Capital Area (TNmS Ratings).

However, it is Descendants of the Sun that really earns the praise of K-drama fans. It made its debut on February 24, 2016 with an average of 13 percent in the Seoul National Capital Area (average of TNmS Ratings and AGB Nielson). The next night, ratings have gone up an average of two percent. Apparently, those two episodes set up Descendants of the Sun as it dominated the competition with its third episode. With nationwide and Seoul National Capital Area for both TNmS Ratings and AGB Nielson, the K-drama earned over 20 percent viewership ratings.

Apparently, viewers love Descendants of the Sun because the ratings provided by both TNS Media Korea and AGB Nielson shows the K-drama earned over 20 percent in viewership rating for both the Seoul National Capital Area and nationwide. Specifically, TNmS was 21.8 percent nationwide and 22.7 percent for Seoul, while AGB was 23.4 percent nationwide and 24.6 percent for Seoul. All of them ranked second in viewership except for TNmS in Seoul which ranked first. To put things into perspective, a fifth of South Korea’s population is 10 million people. Just a little over that number tuned in to watch the third episode of Descendants of the Sun.
Descendants of the Sun dominating the charts and placing high also dethroned tvN, as reported by Korea Times. The broadcasting system had shows on top of viewership rating charts for January and February. In fairness, the controversy surrounding tvN’s K-drama Cheese in the Trap may have hurt the broadcasting system as a whole, ergo hurting their other shows. But the fact Descendants of the Sun earned a viewership rating that actually beat the best of 2015, Yong Pal, means the K-drama is outperforming beyond expectations.

It is good that Descendants of the Sun is doing so well because its network, the Korean Broadcasting System (KBS), was having trouble for most of 2015. Anyways, for those who are interested in watching Descendants of the Sun, it airs on Wednesdays and Thursday at 9:55 p.m. KST on KBST.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2849348/descendants-of-the-sun-continues-to-dominate-the-k-drama-competition-with-over-20-percent-ratings/#XZd4GrGsukl3giKl.99

• Like 18

'Descendants Of The Sun' Slaughtered Its Competition With 23.4 Percent Ratings

The killer chemistry of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo keeps driving 'Descendants of the Sun' to the number one spot.

(Photo : KBS)

"Descendants of the Sun" delivered record-breaking ratings with its third episode, surpassing the viewership of 2015 juggernaut, "Yong Pal." 

According to data released by Nielsen Korea, the KBS drama received 23.4 percent in nationwide viewership. This was figure reflects a significant audience increase of 7.9 percent.

The military drama has the potential to yield the strongest ratings of 2016, as audiences tune in for the compelling chemistry of stars Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo. 

Episode three of "Descendants of the Sun" opened with the reunion of Yoo Shi Jin (Song Joong Ki) and Kang Mo Yeon in Urek, a fictitious nation whose ethnic composition and political climate resembles the war-torn nation of Sarajevo.

REEAD MORE http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/114059/20160302/descendants-of-the-sun-slaughtered-its-competition-wtih-23-4-percent-ratings.htm

They did ''Slaughtered Its Competition''...Congratulations!

• Like 16

4 hours ago, gangurhar said:

Its an unreleased OST by K. Will. They haven't said anything about what it is called but it'll prb release sometime next week

How bout the song in episode 2? The moment when MY & SJ supposed to meet at hospital but MY has emergency surgery....it sound like gummy's voice...do u happen to know the song? if yes, please tell me....

• Like 2

Wwwoooowwww first in 3 years...

My pray being answer only in 1 epsd of this new month... Is on 20 even beyond 20.. Wwoooww... Make me had a goosebump when i read that morning about this 20.. So happy with this fate of Dots..

Honestly is really beyond my expectations .. Not really enthustiatics with the pair at first.. But nowww... I'm so stuck with this two... Really stuck :D

Hope their not messing around with a sad end.. That really gonna make me .. :confused:

Btw Let's we enjoy this Dots.. N Hope is gonna break another record again as soompi article said.. To be the highest rating for all time drama  :heart:  Well.. At least always on top till the end

• Like 8

1 hour ago, andy78 said:

Then there are the foreign actors come to add awkwardness yet again. At least their roles served solid purposes, but the stunted line delivery and silly faces detracted from the severity of the situation - the black arms market is no paltry matter and it was hard to focus with David McInnis pointing guns at bad actors.

Hahaa This!!

I also thought it was weird the guy was killed for no real purpose. He didn't even do anything wrong! It was just a show assuming that we are idiot viewers:

"This is the bad villain"

"He kills even his own man, so he is cold blooded"

"therefore you shall be very worried when he cross paths with our UN crew" 

plus he took a direct quote from Eragon movie character Durza Congratulations you've been promoted, showing that he is aligned with all evil forces in the universe.  

On the other hand, i'm glad that guy was killed off. I'd probably do the same for his line delivery.  

• Like 6

Oh oh oh.. My heart is jumping crazily looking at the picture of second couple.

I hope they coud make it...Love is love, it will not take something bull**** like position into account. Life is short and so our love. Dont waste any second to regret, to waver. Catch it and nuture it as today is the last day. Bravo Moong Joo and  Seo Dae Young. 

By the way, I thought that you must be totally clean and clear to join army or police, right? You cannot be under previous conviction? I dont really know the regulations.

• Like 2

I'm just really really happy that this drama is well-received from both K-fans and I-fans. I've seen more people commenting here as well. The reviews are great, the ratings are good. I don't really care about records as long as it does well domestically and internationally..but if it does break some records, it'll be better. :)

BTW, good job for choosing Greece..such a beautiful country.

• Like 9