[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Hi everyone, I'm really excited and so looking forward to this drama.  It's nice seeing some familiar faces on this thread also :D

I've translated Song Hye Kyo's interview for Elle where she talked about Song Joong Ki and Descendants of the Sun.  Here is the first part of the interview (will translate the rest when I have more time).

This Elle photoshoot took place on March 8 of this year in Paris. Kyo met up with the writer in a Itaewon bar again, sharing wine together and discussing various topics for this interview.

Q:  When I heard the news that day that you're going to star in "Descendants of the Sun", I was really pleasantly surprised.
A:  Originally the news was supposed to come out later, but the reporters seemed to have very good insight.  Because this drama is going to be broadcasted in the later half of the year, originally the news was going to come out after Joong Ki gets discharged from the military first, but it seems to be that the reporters heard the news from broadcasting personnel and released the news.

Q:  We are looking forward to the "Song Song" superstar pairing. How's the Song Song chemistry actually?
A:  Joong Ki and In Sung have a really good relationship.  When we were filming for TWTWB, Joong Ki came to visit In Sung at the filming set.  At that time, we didn't talk much.  Not to mention I was also his senior, that's why he only came to give a greeting and then he left.  After that, we often bumped into each other everywhere.  Like sitting in a cafe drinking coffee, we would greet each other.

Q:  What kind of man do you see Song Joong Ki as?
A:  Joong Ki is very good looking.  His skin is very white, not easy to get tanned.  Skin is even more white than an average woman's, personality is very carefree.  He is really a manly type.  Very mature and very polite to his seniors.  I'm not saying that he treats me really good, but I've seen the way he treats others.  I felt he is a very good friend.  Joong Ki is born in 1985.  There are many people who are younger than him, but compared to them, Jong Ki seems to have a sense of steadiness to him.  Haven't come across that feeling for a long time. His acting is also very good.

Q:  It's interesting that Jo In Sung's first work after his military discharge is with you in "That Winter the Wind Blows", this time Song Joong Ki's first work after his military discharge is with you also.  What do you think of that?
A:  Is that right? Really? Now I know! Ah--have not really thought about that, it's really interesting (laughs)!  In that case, I'm really apologetic?  I'm really sorry (laughs).

Q:  You really did not know? SHK, don't you know this point is very interesting?
A:  I seemed to have forgotten about In Sung's military discharge...although at that time, I do know I was the first to star opposite him after his military discharge.  But unexpectedly this time it's the same for Joong Ki!  (laughs) I had apologized to Joong Ki, after returning to work from a 2-year military service, he has to work with a noona (older sister).  It should be with a younger, beautiful actress, but it was to be with me, I'm really sorry.  Very interesting, now it seems like I've become an actress for military dischargers (laughs).

Q:  In that respect, it seems like this may become the interaction between the two actors.  An actor who has been inactive for a long time should be very warm.
A:  Yes.  His enthusiasm is simply no joke.  Joong Ki and I have very similar personality, especially towards work.  I hate arriving late for filming because I would delay or stop the shooting scene.  I also want all staff to unconditionally enjoy their jobs.  I hope when everyone (the staff) thinks of me, they would be happy and thinks I'm a good person.  I can't stand it if there's even one person who thinks I'm annoying.  Joong Ki and I are very similar in that aspect.

cr to SHK baidu for the Chinese translation

• Like 23

@crixa: I do remember you...:D Thanks @hclover96 for the trans ..seems that SHK have a good impression of SJK..that's good...I did watch him in Sungkyunkwan Scandal and Innocent Man and he's really good..He is such a flower boy in Sungkyunkwan that's why I'm so impressed watching him so manly in innocent man...Can't wait to watch him as a soldier and SHK said her character is like a mature Han Ji Eun from Full House..I do miss her in a rom com all bubbly and stuff, she seem to take melodrama (not that I dont like her previous works, I'd watch anything she is in.) a lot so I'd take this even if its a mature version of the lovely Han Ji Eun...:)

• Like 2

"Very interesting, now it seems like I've become an actress for military dischargers (laughs)."

Aww haha poor SHK, she's the MS discharged men welcoming actress :lol::P

​That says a lot about SHK as an actress I think.  The time away to serve in the military is a critical time for the male actors.  What projects they choose for return is a huge decision for them I'm sure.  Of course both JIS and SJK would have had a lot of offers but still, they need to choose carefully all sorts of things considered and they both chose to work with SHK.

PS:  Unless SHK lives under a rock I have no idea how would not have known she is the first acting partner for JIS and SJG's first post-military projects.  But oh well.

Edited by seungshinl
  • Like 2

Thanks @hclover96 for the translation. I'm pretty sure both Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo are super excited about this drama as well cos it's Kim Eun Sook... Since we have to wait a while for this drama, I really want to see theirs official posters now so i can start dreaming lol well I'm already dreaming about these two everyday haha I really want to see what will they look like in the drama. :wub::wub:

Edited by tovsleeptov
  • Like 5

Guest 02yoxanoh

Yay! Finally Dots has already started first day of shooting today :) Hope everything is ok due to MERS outbreak in SK. MERS, MERS go way , don't come back anymore!! Stay safe Dots cast and crew and  all the people in SK!!!

Meanwhile, Let's enjoy this lovely MV of SongSong couple clip from their previous drama The Innocent Man and That Winter The Wind Blows ♡♥♡

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/pKeoe5rjL58/?resourceId=0_06_02_99

Cr. @hclover96 / SHK thread 

Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo revealed to have started filming 'Descendants of the Sun'

Get ready for Song Hye Kyo and Song Joong Ki's return to the Korean small screen! Especially as this is first drama since leaving the military.  This will be her first drama in two years since 'Wind Blows in Winter.'

The two were revealed to have now begun filming for their KBS 2TV drama, 'Descendants of the Sun.'  A rep stated, "On June 12, the two of them, Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo, had their first filming.  The location was in Seoul."

The drama will air later this year!

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2015/06/song-joong-ki-and-song-hye-kyo-revealed-to-have-started-filming-descendants-of-the-sun

• Like 10

wow​ that MV really super sweet plus The One Song. They really absolutely cute on the screen.

Yay! Finally Dots has already started first day of shooting today :) Hope everything is ok due to MERS outbreak in SK. MERS, MERS go way , don't come back anymore!! Stay safe Dots cast and crew and  all the people in SK!!!

Meanwhile, Let's enjoy this lovely MV of SongSong couple clip from their previous drama The Innocent Man and That Winter The Wind Blows ♡♥♡

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/pKeoe5rjL58/?resourceId=0_06_02_99

Cr. @hclover96 / SHK thread 

Edited by myonlykyo
  • Like 1

this is @hclover96 post in SHK tread, i drop here. 

---------------------------------------

I've just found out that the Elle interview is pretty long and there were 3 Chinese translations done by 3 different people.  Of course there was a little discrepancy regarding the translations, but they are pretty similar.  I'm just combining all of them together because each translation has something different in it.  This is a continuation of the interview talking about DotS.  I'll translate the last part of the interview tomorrow where she talks about her views on marriage and other topics that are not related to DotS :)

Q:  There are lots of overseas shooting?
A:  Really a lot.  Originally intended to film on an island in Greece, heard a lot of overseas filming use Korean photography equipments to shoot.  Compared to other dramas that have overseas filming, this drama has a lot.  I've been to Santorini and Athens, Greece before, but the filming is said to be on an island that I've never been to.  Really very beautiful.

Q:  In Descendants of the Sun, what kind of woman is Dr. Kang Mo Yeon?
A:  Joong Ki is a soldier, I'm a doctor who was deployed to the region.  This is a drama that has a disaster area as the background, so I guess it's a very serious role, but in fact it's a very cheerful character.  She's an upright, intelligent doctor who wants to be recognized by others, but she's also a tomboy, articulate, likes to drink and is very open-minded.  I haven't encountered such a cheerful character in Korea for a long time.  Up to now, I've acted in a lot of sad roles.  A bit like "Full House" from a long ago, a grown-up version? (laughs)  But in this drama, there will of course be lots of sadness because the background is a disaster area, with injuries and death to unfold the story.

Q:  I've heard that actors have a harder time playing cheerful characters.
A:  That's right.  To be honest, cheerful characters are harder.  For sad roles, you can immerse in the atmosphere and just continue with that.  But for cheerful roles, it seems to be really hard.  Laughter is the most difficult.  So in the beginning, I had a few meetings with the writer.  After we talked, we went to drink.  Seeing how I was at that moment, there were a lot of changes being made to the script.  Said there was inspiration after seeing me.

Q:  Because this a doctor's role, the medical terms and lines would seem quite difficult.  Is there any special preparation for it?
A:  Probably would have to wear a doctor's white coat.  Because this role is a doctor, I think medical terms and lines would be quite hard.  I thought I would never want to act as a doctor or lawyer (laughs) because of the technical terms.  But the role is really good and the project is good as well.  So no matter what, I would try hard to do it.  There's no other way aside from trying hard (laughs).  If there are NGs, I can only do it until "OK", really.  The staff will probably have to suffer (laughs).

Q:  What's the writer's style?
A:  Has a similar feel as when I teamed up with Teacher Noh Hee Kyung, a feeling like she's always teaching me, but Teacher Kim Eun Sook has more of a "searching for freedom" feel.  When we chat, if I need to do anything, she would say "Yes! I need you to feel what you're feeling when you're doing this now.  Do not forget this feeling now."  Like that I would remember how I usually am.  She did not tell me to look at the script more.  However, like that an actor who can't act out such feelings would re-think and modify.

by @hclover96 

• Like 10

"it's a very cheerful character.  She's an upright, intelligent doctor who wants to be recognized by others, but she's also a tomboy, articulate, likes to drink and is very open-minded.  I haven't encountered such a cheerful character in Korea for a long time.  Up to now, I've acted in a lot of sad roles.  A bit like "Full House" from a long ago, a grown-up version? (laughs)  "

Tomboy and cheerful role!!!!!Kyaaaaahhhh!!!!Please, somebody tell me when is this drama airing????:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t: She's so feminine in real life so this adds up to my excitement....:D No photo from 1st day filming...Ah so secretive..:tears:

Edited by jjeennyy19
  • Like 5

Guest 02yoxanoh

11326347_989814014382159_425077830_n.jpg

cr. SHK thread

Fighting Dots !!! So stoked!! Really Can't wait !!! 

The anticipation is killing me!!!!!!!! :D 

GO DOTS !!! GO SONG SONG COUPLE !!! ♥♥♥ 

BREAK A LEG !!!

I can already feel myself shipping Kim Ji Won with Song Joong Ki :sweatingbullets:

I hope the writer'll flesh out the second couple (Kim Ji Won & Jin Goo's characters), they seem interesting.

Even if I get disappointed with the drama, I hope it'll be a hit. Maybe that way the channels will be more inclined to shoot the dramas in their interity before airing them.

Live-shooting is often detrimental to the quality of the show T_T

• Like 2

I can already feel myself shipping Kim Ji Won with Song Joong Ki :sweatingbullets:

I hope the writer'll flesh out the second couple (Kim Ji Won & Jin Goo's characters), they seem interesting.

Even if I get disappointed with the drama, I hope it'll be a hit. Maybe that way the channels will be more inclined to shoot the dramas in their interity before airing them.

Live-shooting is often detrimental to the quality of the show T_T

hhmmm you'll probably a bit dissapointed later since in every Kim Eun Sook's drama.. 2 lead female is kinda a biiattch and never get too far with the male main lead. KES is a writer that worship the main OTP herself....

• Like 6