Quantcast
alleverything

[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

@CatWhiskers ohh dear, you still remember that. Honestly i forgot about that and right now i am too lazy to look it up.

I'm in for the rewatching session. I have plenty of free time now so lets do this. Aja

• Like 7

@melissala No worries. I was thinking I would split my two episodes up through the week so I'll definitely still be posting on Wednesday. Lol!

@kokodus Decided to do 2 episodes per week and just spend the week spazzing about those eps. Kind of like watching live. So watch whenever you can and feel free to make yourself look obsessed [like myself. :phew:]

As if I needed an excuse to watch this show some more and spaz on the thread...:P

• Like 4

1. WHAT MAKES YOU WATCH DOTS?

Because of the casts. I really love SHK since Full House, and recently, became addicted to SJK.lol:) aside from being a kpop fan, I also love watching Kdrama, and since I've been busy with my school, it's been a while since I watched korean drama. And I heard about this drama and they said that it is really really goood that's why I decided to watch it.

2. WHAT MAKES YOU TOTALLY LOVE IT AND GOT SO HOOKED?

Everything, the plot, casts, the love story of MY and SJ,DY and MJ and the bromance,production, OST etc. hahahah I can't even move on with this drama, I also love it because it is not a drama with love triangle, instead they made another love story for the second main lead. I really love the way how SJ looks at MY, how he stares, their kissing scene. Just no words can describe how great this drama and how it gave me so much feels.

Edited by lovelyapriiil
  • Like 7

14 hours ago, winterbubbletea said:

Ah...I don't really think the scene is lewd...I just find it appealing because the actions were more consistent and fluid. 

It's like watching butter melt on toast....

The subbers at Viki explained that "Want to come over and eat ramen?" is "often used as a racy pick-up line" (that last quote is their explanation).

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

The subbers at Viki explained that "Want to come over and eat ramen?" is "often used as a racy pick-up line" (that last quote is their explanation).

But they really are just eating ramen only LOL!!! Even in the dark if ramen slurping is consider racy I dunno what is wrong with these people. HAHA

• Like 7

Friends, I've reached that point in my life where I'm finding DotS related things every day in my life.  Help?

First, this past week, one of my coworkers was telling me about how he'd met a radiologist who was in a wheelchair.  So of course I thought of Doc Pyo.  :P

Second, I'm currently watching Obstetrics & Gynecology (totally because of SJK, but am actually enjoying the drama -- surprisingly) and there are two scenes in that drama that made me think of DotS.  The first time was when the main male lead was arm wrestling the second male lead, and the second male lead's phone started to ring.  The main female lead (who'd been watching them from the side) then said, "Jeonhwa, jeonhwa," which reminded me of the Subway scene in DotS where YSJ was trying to deny that he was jealous while forbidding KMY to drink with other men and his phone rang.  The second time was when SJK's character in OB-GYN commented on the timing of something.  Given that it was him saying the line, it was truly a DotS flashback!  Sounded the same and everything.  The only difference was that he trailed off after saying, "The timing..." without ever saying "The timing is weird," as he did in DotS. 

And finally, the best (most hilarious?) moment.  I went on a mini road trip this weekend and, as I was driving, had the DotS soundtrack on in the background.  Just as the song switched to "You Are My Everything," in the distance, no joke, two Army helicopters flew by.  Hahahaha.  It was so awesome.  If only ropes had dropped and YSJ had come to save me from some traffic jams.  ;) 

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, winterbubbletea said:

But they really are just eating ramen only LOL!!! Even in the dark if ramen slurping is consider racy I dunno what is wrong with these people. HAHA

That's because, as KMY's mother would say, they're two Innocents.  ;)

KMY did ask him what was up with the insincere 19+ invitation though (again, Viki's translations), and his response was that he was being sincere; that's when he pulled out the ramen packets. 

I can totally see how, in general, it'd be used as a pick-up line.  A guy and a girl are out late together, one of them asks the other if they want to come over for ramen.  It's an innocent enough sounding question because ramen is often eaten as a late night snack, but once you have someone over to your house at that hour . . . . who knows what will happen next.  *eye waggle* 

I guess it's the S. Korean version of, "Want to come up and see my etchings?" pick-up line, if you're familiar with that saying.  (If not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etching#.22Etchings.22_euphemism)

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, winterbubbletea said:

I think it's just the implication behind the words. In order to eat ramen, SJ and MY would have to be in the same space. On a normal date, this would be akin to SJ inviting MY into his house...where it's just the two of them... alone. ;) So it would be implying that he wants to be alone with her and usually being alone in a man's house right after a date leads to sexy time. 

@themarchioness I laughed hard at the mini road trip part of your post. :lol:

Am I the only one who wants MY saying "jeonhwa, jeonhwa" as a ringtone? [Along with about a billion other lines from this drama...]

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, phikyl said:

Am I the only one who wants MY saying "jeonhwa, jeonhwa" as a ringtone? [Along with about a billion other lines from this drama...]

I had to share that moment with you guys! I fear its significance would be lost on most of my other (non-Kdrama watching) friends. :P  Only you guys would really get it/appreciate it.

And now that you mention it, yes! That would make a great ringtone!

• Like 6

I'm cheating and watching early, but I liked this scene

Bb7tFHg.jpg

Says DY

PtT3o6a.jpg

Say Si Jin.

20 minutes in to the drama, and he already wanted to dump DY and his phone problems for a girl 

• Like 13

This is my look because it's Monday! :anguished:

web_654783904_b54cba45_IMG_4888.JPG

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

That's because, as KMY's mother would say, they're two Innocents.  ;)

KMY did ask him what was up with the insincere 19+ invitation though (again, Viki's translations), and his response was that he was being sincere; that's when he pulled out the ramen packets. 

I can totally see how, in general, it'd be used as a pick-up line.  A guy and a girl are out late together, one of them asks the other if they want to come over for ramen.  It's an innocent enough sounding question because ramen is often eaten as a late night snack, but once you have someone over to your house at that hour . . . . who knows what will happen next.  *eye waggle* 

I guess it's the S. Korean version of, "Want to come up and see my etchings?" pick-up line, if you're familiar with that saying.  (If not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etching#.22Etchings.22_euphemism)

I thought that's more like the whole...want to go to my house to see a movie...or have a late night coffee. Hmm...I rather have the ramen...and not the late night whatcha call it...the ramen is more appealing XD

31 minutes ago, phikyl said:

I think it's just the implication behind the words. In order to eat ramen, SJ and MY would have to be in the same space. On a normal date, this would be akin to SJ inviting MY into his house...where it's just the two of them... alone. ;) So it would be implying that he wants to be alone with her and usually being alone in a man's house right after a date leads to sexy time. 

I dunno about the alone portion LOL! Their chef Gi Beom was all ready waiting for his pick up lines and etc etc to go cook their ramen!

• Like 9

@melissala Hey, it's already Monday in Korea so technically you're right on time! ;) I was about to do the same and start jotting down notes for eps 1 &2 since I'm about to start my 4th marathon watch...

• Like 9

23 hours ago, melissala said:

I agree, that's what he might think but I disagree that was a rejection.  She did not say yes, but she did not say no.  He also told her to think about it, and was actually the one to walk away from her after she gave him first aid.  She also eventually did accept him after that, without fully rejecting him before hand.  I do see your point in that he again basically asked her to confess and she didn't say anything, so maybe technically she rejected him, but I don't think that's fair to say she did right then.  It also wasn't really the right time moment to focus on their romance considering what she just had to do. 

Though then the next day he mentioned the three rejections, and that she's probably upset she didn't accept him and was worried about her.  So, while I can see his POV, I don't think it's fair to call that a rejection. I'll give him two rejections of course though. :P  It's like him saying she wrecked three cars, she didn't.  He can't count.  There's was only two and the third he was the one driving. 

Hahaha... yeah well... as far as SJ was concerned though, it was probably a rejection. That silence... that hesitation. I know. I've done it before to someone way back when in my youth. Heh heh heh... I simply did not say anything because I was unsure, and let it simply die a natural death. I'm sure the guy read it as a rejection. :P So... methinks our Captain can count still. For sure better than our Sergeant. Hahaha...

• Like 7

19 hours ago, CatWhiskers said:

Can I start something new here? I have been quite curious.

1. WHAT MAKES YOU WATCH DOTS?

2. WHAT MAKES YOU TOTALLY LOVE IT AND GOT SO HOOKED?

1. I had seen all the trailers before the start of the show and must say, the one of SJK doing the pull ups caught my attention, though not enough for me to actually look him up online - his was a name I had heard of but never followed. The few times I did see his pics, I really thought he was too pretty. But like I always say, look what a couple of years in the military has done for him. Hahaha... But his is a look I know most guys dislike. My hubby, nephew, male buddies - ALL of them cannot understand what it is about him that girls fancy. Hahaha... Then I saw the trailer of him with Song Hye Kyo - and I like her - got me putting the start date on my calendar to watch it. 

2. I got hooked from the first episode. Gotta admit the opening sequence with that minor confrontation with N. Korea got me intrigued. Part of me wished they had continued on a stronger story arc between them and N. Korea, but I reckon it wouldn't have sold as far and wide if that were the focus or basis of their story. And then of course, the love story between KMY and YSJ got me. I love the sincerity both characters came to the story with. Even KMY's struggles were very real and I could understand that. Somehow that moved away significantly from the Kdramas of old where there was a lot of pushing and pulling and pure teenage type of dramatic angst that got too tiring to watch after a while. Maybe in a play, like R&J where you need to squeeze all that angst into 2 hours, but for a long drawn drama, nah. I'm over those types of shows. I found KMY to be a realistic characterisation of (asian) women today. And of course, SDY+YSJ. Every boy needs a friendship like the one those 2 had. I wasn't so much into SDY and YMJ's relationship - I thought there was indeed too much pulling and pushing with that one, and I, like YSJ, would tell SDY that he's such a fool. Heh...

• Like 11

@themarchioness' road trip sighting - WIN! Hahaha... I find myself also using many things that happened in DOTS as analogy for things I want to explain to people. hahaha... Ah... the wonderful world of seeing relevance through KDramas. Only 2 dramas have made me this active on Soompi - YongPal and now DOTS. Why? I must give it to the acting. The cast for both shows were very well chosen. You can see care went into picking the entire cast, including the supporting characters. 

And yes, @phikyl, @kristy86 (Please keep the gifs and pics coming, repeat them, I don't care! I love them!), @melissala and whoever is doing timed rewatch from this week starting with ep 1 & 2 - LET'S DO IT!

• Like 10

@gilaswan I'm currently working my way through the early pages of the thread so don't worry! I will have plenty of gifs and pictures incoming when I post. Lol! [Side note: Major thanks to all the early posters who were making gifs while doing live recaps. :wub:

I too, was not very interested in the love story between DY and MJ. I much preferred the refreshing take on modern relationships coming from SJ and MY. DY and MJ's relationship seemed to be the one that covered the typical tropes; meddling father, different status, etc so I didn't ever question what would happen with them. I already knew because we've seen it in every other drama out there. Lol!

• Like 10

@melissala Ohohoho. I love that look. The smitten, smile to self, pensive look. He must be thinking what a confident, sassy woman and so pretty...have to get to know her.

• Like 10