[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

13 minutes ago, cutiesarjen said:

I have a question. What do they mean by "my best and you glance"?

It was a word play joke, starting from the camping scene.  YSJ had asked to hang out in the tent and KMY agreed provided he did not cross the line.  Once in the tent, YSJ asked her where the line ("seon") was and in response, KMY answered with his best and her glance because both "best" and "glance" have the sound "seon" in those words. 

It's similar to when YSJ asked her blood type and instead of giving him a straight answer, KMY answered with similar sounding words.  The two of them were fond of their word plays.  Another example is when KMY was telling him that she'd been invited back to her medical school to attend the ceremony as one of their shining graduates.  YSJ teased her by asking if she hadn't been asked back as one of their indebted students because "shining" and "indebted" sound similar. 

(Much appreciation to Viki for explaining all these subtleties in their subs.)

• Like 11

'Descendants of the Sun' to hold an OST live concert on May 14

‘Descendants of the Sun’ stars Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo.

The production team of this year's blockbuster drama, "Descendants of the Sun," is now preparing to hold a special concert on May 14 in light of the heartwarming and chart-topping OSTs for the global hit drama.

The latest reports revealed that the team will be holding a special concert under the title of "Descendants of the Sun OST concert" on May 14 with two scheduled events, K-pop Fighting has learned. The concert will take place at Kyonggi University in Seoul, South Korea and will kick off starting 3 PM KST and is followed by another at 7 PM KST.

The concert will gather the cast members and various singers of the drama, wherein each singer is said to perform their respective OSTs. To name a few, these singers include Park Ji Yeon aka Gummy for "You Are My Everything," EXO's Chen and Punch for "Everytime" and Davichi for "This Love."

Apart from that, the shows' cast members, Jin Goo, Kim Ji Won, Seo Jung Yeon and Lee Seung Joon have confirmed their guest appearances to the special concert. The sale of tickets recently opened on April 22, Friday on Ticket link Co. Ltd.

"The actors and singers are going to create a stage together," a concert representative said, All K-pop reported. "We will be having a lot of activities including performances, collaborations, and special events that have the similarity with some scenes from the drama."

As of this writing, the production team seems to be in a bit of a pickle since they have yet to receive confirmation of attendance from the series' lead stars, Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo. To date, the on-screen couple is busy working on their respective projects.

Joong Ki, who played Captain Yoo Si Jin (aka Big Boss) in the series, has experienced an enormous growth in his popularity throughout Asia. He has recently been tapped as ambassador to boost Korean tourism and became the face of over 30 local and international brands.

While Hye Kyo, who played Dr. Kang Mo Yeon, has once again praised for her donations of Korean language brochures to the Statue of Liberty in New York. In an interview on April 21, the 34-year-old star expressed that it harms her pride as a citizen of Korea every time she travel to other countries and see brochures in Japanese and Chinese dialect at various museums and archaeological sites, but no Korean leaflets.

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

It was a word play joke, starting from the camping scene.  YSJ had asked to hang out in the tent and KMY agreed provided he did not cross the line.  Once in the tent, YSJ asked her where the line ("seon") was and in response, KMY answered with his best and her glance because both "best" and "glance" have the sound "seon" in those words. 

It's similar to when YSJ asked her blood type and instead of giving him a straight answer, KMY answered with similar sounding words.  The two of them were fond of their word plays.  Another example is when KMY was telling him that she'd been invited back to her medical school to attend the ceremony as one of their shining graduates.  YSJ teased her by asking if she hadn't been asked back as one of their indebted students because "shining" and "indebted" sound similar. 

Ah i get it now. Thanks for the answer @themarchioness 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

I can understand the word play based on homonyms, but what about her choice of words? Does she then mean to tease that there is no real "line" therefore because what he "crosses" will depend on his "best" reasons for getting her affection which would be determined by how she then "glances" at him? Is that right? heh...

• Like 6

Okay now, so I misunderstood the meaning of "my best and you glance" then. Haha, can I get any dumber? 

I thought what he meant by my best is him always good at apologizing to her, like in the scene when they are bickering about RV. And you glance is MY weapon to win over SJ, she will flutter her eyelashes and act cute in front of him.  LOL, their words play really got me...

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Finally!!! I've always been wondering what "my best and your glance" meant :) Thank you!

• Like 12

13029613_1086376838101590_60917356572473

13047865_1086376038101670_67515730800963

13087719_1086376338101640_91899268832681

Spoiler

13029566_1086527954753145_38133754712248

13087148_1086396024766338_5200098238966713055890_1086396398099634_10222488462224

Spoiler

13055083_1086486278090646_35624618263909

13029415_1086477814758159_7805168879859113040855_1086475004758440_53508144757653

Zakynthos Shipwreck or Navagio Bay (GREECE)

The beach of Navagio or Shipwreck cove is the most famous beach of Zakynthos lying on the western side of the Ionian island, close to Anafotiria village. The Shipwreck is one of the most photographed landscapes in Greece. It is considered as one of the best beaches in Greece. It was initially called Agios Georgios but owes its new name to the shipwreck of a boat that transported illegal cigarettes, in 1983. The ship was washed ashore. With the years passing, the sand completely surrounded the ship which looks now as it emerges from it. The vestiges of the ship can be seen in the middle of the large white sandy beach which has amazing turquoise and crystalline waters. Huge vertical cliffs of white rocks are surrounding the sand creating a unique and enchanting image. To reach this paradise, one has to take a little boat from the small port of Porto Vromi. These taxi boats are leaving every hour and the trip is about 30 minutes

Source: www.greeka.com

• Like 15

13 hours ago, kristy86 said:

You may also try Deep Rooted Tree, if you like historical drama :D  he's also great in there as the young King Sejong :wub: 

I've been re-watching from ep 1, how long do I have to do this? 

Everytime I see SJ's expression when he said: Red Velvet did nothing wrong, I can't... :joy: Cheeky captain!

I can already imagine how their marriage life would be, isk isk isk...

me too, how long do I have to re-watch DOTS, other dramas failed me hard :astonished: 

I'm watching ep 3 now. hehe :glasses:

• Like 7

2 hours ago, themarchioness said:

OMG kudos to you! That line has been rolling in my mind since I have no idea why MY replied SJ like that, I even thought what she meant is SJ should try his best or take a glance in order to cross the line :D And wow so it's not the only first time but turns out that they have been always enjoying the word play  :w00t: Combine with the scene when MY saved SJ then drive the car and screamed because of excitement, then SJ said "No idea why she can go to medical school" and now, do you understand how she managed it SJ? :phew: Seriously can't get enough of these two. :wub: Perfect match from heaven :lol:

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, superbigcat said:

OMG kudos to you! That line has been rolling in my mind since I have no idea why MY replied SJ like that, I even thought what she meant is SJ should try his best or take a glance in order to cross the line :D And wow so it's not the only first time but turns out that they have been enjoying the word play for a period of time  :w00t: Combine with the scene when MY saved SJ then drive the car and screamed because of excitement, then SJ said "No idea why she can go to medical school" and now, do you understand how she managed it SJ? :phew: Seriously can't get enought of these two. :wub:

I don't want to burst bubbles, because YSJ-KMY are very cute with all their word plays, but I also think this is something the writer just really likes.  There was another word play between KMY and the hospital director when she was trying to hand in her resignation, for example, and we know there was nothing lovey-dovey going on there!  I can't remember what it was exactly; I'd have to go back and watch this scene.

I have to once again give a shout out to the Viki subbers for explaining all these moments in their subs.  It really elevates the viewing experience.  Without the explanation, these moments are completely lost on the non-Korean spakers.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

I don't want to burst bubbles, because YSJ-KMY are very cute with all their word plays, but I also think this is something the writer just really likes.  There was another word play between KMY and the hospital director when she was trying to hand in her resignation, for example, and we know there was nothing lovey-dovey going on there!  I can't remember what it was exactly; I'd have to go back and watch this scene.

I have to once again give a shout out to the Viki subbers for explaining all these moments in their subs.  It really elevates the viewing experience.  Without the explanation, these moments are completely lost on the non-Korean spakers.

the word play between KMY and hospital director is easy to understand since their family name "Kang" and "Han" are the beginning of Korean words for "stubborn" and "free" respectively, sth like that, I got that 

but YSJ and KMY, their word play drove me nuts, I have to ask you guys here, then ask my Korean friend again, then ask my teacher again, I drove them nuts because of DOTS, hahaha. Anyway, finally understand, it's cute and like unique style of them, yet I wish they never play word again, or else everybody around me will become insane  

• Like 7

^ Not just the writers and the lines they chose though - the director and how he chose to capture the emotions visually. And of course the actors and how they brilliantly portrayed those feelings so subtly. SHK's eyes! How she acts with her eyes! Indeed her "glance" is powerful! 

• Like 17

@Meowth07 Wow, thanks so much for your long and insightful post :D 

I really love the part with MY and Col. Park. He answered MY first three questions with so much proud in his voice. He's so proud of SJ and DY. But the last question makes him lower his head and I can feel his regret that she have to sign the non-disclosure agreement to cover SJ's death. 

Kang Min Jae's line is also so memorable to me, with his tone and facial expression it's so cute but also sad.

10 hours ago, SkyKid said:

me too, how long do I have to re-watch DOTS, other dramas failed me hard :astonished: 

I'm watching ep 3 now. hehe :glasses:

I was just re-watching ep 6 last night, and I cried like a baby during Mr. Ko's scene again, MY cried while remembering his warm smile. SHK is right, Mr. Ko had a big smile but it looked so sad. I will forever remember this scene. 

O1rkf1R.gif

In the last special during the interview, I think SJK said he is amazed by the script for this scene. When SJ arrived with the heli, he first looked for MY but he didn't show it. They only stared at each other. And during the shoelaces scene, after he said "be careful" he just walked away. SJK said something like: "It's insane." 

I don't know but I guess he's just like most people who would probably think SJ will hug MY or whatever to show how relieved he is finding she is not hurt. But then after saying those word he just walked away. I really thought he's going to hug her, but they have more important thing to do at that moment, just knowing she's fine is enough for him. This scene touched me deeply  :wub:

• Like 15