[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Descendants of the Sun Lifts Korean Dramas From Slump; Boosts Economy

Descendants of the Sun Lifts Korean Dramas From Slump; Boosts Economy

Descendants of the Sun is more than just drawing attention and interest to South Korean culture. It is also, in its own way, helping boost the South Korean market overseas.

The show will hit Japanese airwaves in June, a source reveals. According to Yonhap News, Descendants of the Sun will premiere in Japan on Japanese satellite TV channel Eisei Gekijo. The broadcasting rights for the Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo starrer was sold for over AU$120,000 per episode. The deal was sealed in March.

This marks a positive development for South Korean drama series in Japan since Japanese broadcasting companies have been hesitant to spend on Korean shows in the last three years. Soompi reports that the fall of Korean dramas in Japan started in 2012 when Jang Geun-suk’s Love Rain failed to meet expectations after having been bought for over AU$380,000 per episode. Since then, export prices for dramas fell below the AU$120,000 mark.

Descendants of the Sun has lifted the South Korean drama scene from that slump.

“Because it stars Hallyu actress Song Hye-Kyo and recently discharged Song Joong-Ki, as well as having a positive response that it is entertaining, the drama had an increasingly expensive price tag, and the competition among buyers became fiercer,” an industry representative stated.

The heartwarming military-themed romantic story from KBS 2TV drama series has created an army of loyal followers worldwide. The drama is also currently being broadcast in Hong Kong through Viu TV.

Hyundai Motor Co. also revealed that it has received increasing inquiries from China regarding its Genesis sedan which was featured in one of Song Dae Young (Jin Goo) and Yoon Myeong-joo’s (Kim Ji-won) kissing scenes. The self-driving abilities of the Hyundai Genesis were shown in that particular scene, and it has piqued buyers’ interest.

“I would like to have a car that can go by itself like I saw in the show,” 23-year-old Grace Wang told Straits Times. “It is so cool.”

Descendants of the Sun garnered over 2.6 billion views in China through video streaming site iqiyi.com.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Alrighty friends... @rainbowbrite, @melissala, @Jalhanda, @thepixies, @Ahpheng, @annettegatuslaoand @whoeverelse who might want to read the fics...here you go. Chapter 5.

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1114759/5

There's a NSFW warning on this one... :P

Yeayy! please do tag me if you write again, i've been refreshing this thread to see if you write another chapter. Thanks writer-nim!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rumasa79 said:

Yeayy! please do tag me if you write again, i've been refreshing this thread to see if you write another chapter. Thanks writer-nim!

Maybe I should be like KBS... episodes every Wed and Thu. Hahahaha...

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Maybe I should be like KBS... episodes every Wed and Thu. Hahahaha...

Hey, it's actually a very good idea! :D:D

Since  i'm having a severe case of withdrawal syndrome, i need a dose of DoTS weekly and your reading your writing is an awesome way to cure my DoTS high..my deepest gratitude for you, chingu!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, rumasa79 said:

Hey, it's actually a very good idea! :D:D

Since  i'm having a severe case of withdrawal syndrome, i need a dose of DoTS weekly and your reading your writing is an awesome way to cure my DoTS high..my deepest gratitude for you, chingu!

Awwwww...I second the motion...I am like an echo of @rumasa79....but seriously @gilaswan...for someone who is quite choosy in reading FF's yours is really one of the epic ones...I adore your writing skills!

• Like 6

Just now, ilwoo_aein said:

[Scan] DOTS BTS pic of SJK

Oh my oh my..Captain Yoo so COOL and HANDSOME :w00t:

credit: as tagged

Captain really should not wear white shirt, make us fans go crazy like this is a crime :wub::wub::wub:

today is Tuesday, and tmr is nothing to me :tears: how I miss DOTS, 5 really need to find another drama to watch, otherwhile I will stuck with DOTS and this thread 4ver :D

while watching DOTS, I know I said it like riding an emotional roller coaster, like blockbuster movie, yet SJK and SHK keep telling us it's melodrama. Now I know what they mean, I miss DOTS, but what I miss the most is their love, their story. I love YSJ and the way he persuaded his girl, never for once play noble-idiocy such as breaking up for his gf's sake despite how much difficult the situation can get. And I love how KMY, a little hesitate at first, but once she decided she's in the relationship, she stays strong, she becomes his peace, she's his homeland. :wub::heart:

• Like 8

What's the age gap of Mo Yeon and Si Jin ? If Si Jin is born in 1983, that means they are the same age isn't it. I remember in Ep2 Mo Yeon says she's the noona. Was she joking ? Because in ep 12, Si Jin says he's the oppa. So whose older or are they the same age ?

Just now, princessmantou said:

What's the age gap of Mo Yeon and Si Jin ? If Si Jin is born in 1983, that means they are the same age isn't it. I remember in Ep2 Mo Yeon says she's the noona. Was she joking ? Because in ep 12, Si Jin says he's the oppa. So whose older or are they the same age ?

They didnt reveal their ages directly but there were many scenes where YSJ says that KMY is older, like during the cafe 'i love you' scene in ep 15.

But some friends here noted that during the 2nd ep when dae young shows the list of medical voluteers coming to Urk, KMY's birth year was marked as 1983. Since we know that si jin is Pisces that means his birthday must be in jan/feb.

So considering all these hints, i think KMY is older only by few days or weeks

Btw, i dont recall him saying he's the oppa in 12th ep. Did he say that??? *runs off to rewatch the 12th ep eventhough it was only yesterday i watched that ep*:rolleyes:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kokodus said:

They didnt reveal their ages directly but there were many scenes where YSJ says that KMY is older, like during the cafe 'i love you' scene in ep 15.

But some friends here noted that during the 2nd ep when dae young shows the list of medical voluteers coming to Urk, KMY's birth year was marked as 1983. Since we know that si jin is Pisces that means his birthday must be in jan/feb.

Btw, i dont recall him saying he's the oppa in 12th ep. Did he say that??? *runs off to rewatch the 12th ep eventhough it was only yesterday i watched that ep*:rolleyes:

Yes he did. He calls himself Si Jin Oppa. It's the rooftop scene. KMY is born in 1983 on September. If he's a Pisces he is older isn't it. By the way the cafe scene where he say they should say I Love You by age... he didn't specify if she should go first because she's older or younger. He just said 'Then let's go by age' in Korean. I'm Korean... so thats the actual direct translation. 

Edited by princessmantou
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, princessmantou said:

Oh... and I have to note... they spoke Banmal in Korean. Which means informal language... In Korea no one speaks that way unless you are the same age... even if you are dating the guy. Unless she's married to him... if not the formal tone remains

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kokodus said:

b416910.jpg

as you can see, Kang Mo Yeon's name is 1st on the list, and in the column of ID, according to Korea's ID system, they will have DOB-Social No as their ID No, so Doctor Kang was born 14 September 1983. YSJ is a Pisces, 1983 => so Jan/Feb 1983.

YSJ is older than KMY at least 6-7 months :D 

also, knowing Korean has their lunar calendar plus their school enrollment system (ex: kid was born from early 1982 to March 1983 went to school together, kid from March 1983 to early1984 went to school together), I think it's safe to say YSJ is an oppa to KMY, even if they was born in the same year, he will go to school sooner than her 1 year :phew:   

however, I have one question "is their age, who is older that important?" when I watch it, I don't even care to question B)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SkyKid said:

b416910.jpg

as you can see, Kang Mo Yeon's name is 1st on the list, and in the column of ID, according to Korea's ID system, they will have DOB-Social No as their ID No, so Doctor Kang was born 14 September 1983. YSJ is a Pisces, 1983 => so Jan/Feb 1983.

YSJ is older than KMY at least 6-7 months :D 

also, knowing Korean has their lunar calendar plus their school enrollment system (ex: kid was born from early 1982 to March 1983 went to school together, kid from March 1983 to early1984 went to school together), I think it's safe to say YSJ is an oppa to KMY, even if they was born in the same year, he will go to school sooner than her 1 year :phew:   

however, I have one question "is their age, who is older that important?" when I watch it, I don't even care to question B)

It's not importany... Yes... in Korea if you are born before March its considered a 1982 kid. I'm wondering because she say she's the Noona in ep 2. But at the rooftop scene... he calls himself oppa... So I was wondering... by the way Pisces is Feb-March... not Jan/Feb

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, princessmantou said:

It's not importany... Yes... in Korea if you are born before March its considered a 1982 kid. I'm wondering because she say she's the Noona in ep 2. But at the rooftop scene... he calls himself oppa... So I was wondering... by the way Pisces is Feb-March... not Jan/Feb

please don't quote pic, and when did he call himself an oppa, I can't recall that scene?:rolleyes: