[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

46 minutes ago, hclover96 said:

DotS has been exported to Japan for the price of $100,000 USD per episode, overall sales price of 2 billion won for 16 episodes.  Since 2012, Korean dramas' sales price being exported to Japan have been declining for the past 3 years.  Being sold to Japan for $100,000 per episode may have a rebound significance.

cr to weibo for the news

That's great news!. I was wondering there was no news about DOTS's impact in Japan, considering how the first Hallyu wave was all about dramas that made it big in Japan. Hopefully all these updates means that there will be a period of promotion and fanmeets for the whole cast of DOTS in Asia. I think fans would really appreciate it and it would give the cast an opportunity to experience the impact the show is making is Asia presently.

• Like 14

hi  @gilaswan here's another translation of his elle interview from soompi.

Actor Song Joong Ki had his first interview and photo shoot after completing his military service with Ellemagazine. Having started filming his comeback drama “Descendants of the Sun,” the actor reveals that he selected this drama because of the story. He also comments on how working withSong Hye Kyo has been great due to their similar personalities and ability to understand each other. Staff members reportedly said, “It’s supposed to be a melodrama, but aren’t they too close?”

http://www.soompi.com/2015/09/17/song-joong-ki-reflects-on-his-vacation-with-jo-in-sung-and-lee-kwang-soo/

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, msriz said:

Staff members reportedly said, “It’s supposed to be a melodrama, but aren’t they too close?”

Thanks for the link!

Again, this logic surpasses me too. Hahahha... What's the correlation again? It's a melo therefore they cannot be close? Whuuut?? Hahahahaha... *stumped*

• Like 8

Hi there!

So after much pestering and enduring squees from @maplekist unnie, me and my twin unnie @xiashenghan gave the first episode a try. Ad we were blown away!

I was ready to point out mistakes because as much as I am a fan of joonki I wasn't much fond of hyekyo and her stoic acting. I was also thinking that dots was overrated and the romance was too cheesy. Who falls in love from first sight, really? (Cough @delfin cough) But my peeps, @maplekist @yaqiyuki @delfin and my MIL @moodypie asked me ad my twin unnie to watch it. After much much hesitation I watched the first episode yesterday, planning to watch the second (if I was satisfied with the first) today. I kinda cheated twin unnie... I feel like I watched it yesterday because I watched the second episode at midnight. Eeeek. Don't kill me...

So far I'm loving all four leads and even the sub characters. The characterization is spot on and we feel every character from the depth. I never imagined to be taken by the characters because I remember laughing at my peeps for being such... girls.. Haha. I'm totally taken by both guys now. A wise soul once said I'd ear my words one day. And here I am, eating so much while swooning so hard.

Of course I'm a die hard joonki lover. Ever since I saw him in Will It Snow For Christmas as the heroine's elder cute bro, and in Gaksital I knew I'm going to be taken by him. Then I watched Werewolf Boy and got so intereythat I couldn't wait for Nice Guy. I watched the hell (excuse my language) out of NG and I even wrote fanfics for them. I was so in love with him. But I wasn't ready to see him with SHK because... I dunno.. I just didn't. But I'm loving him so so so much in uniform (and out of it, nekkid) and I can't help but drool all over my laptop and phone.. The joonki charm, its infectious.

Added to my hot namja list (my loooooooooooong list) is Jingoo. Who knew he would steal my heart? As much as I love joonki (a loooooooot), Jingoo is the scene stealing actor for me. His stoic expression whenever jiwoo comes, his straight faced jokes (I'm cracking up so bad) and jingoo jingoo JINGOO! This namja is making my ovaries burst. I'm so full of jingoo!

I'm sure twin unnie @xiashenghan feels me. We are dying. Positively.

Please accept the two of us... Urm.. For a name, we are generally known as the Pervy Twins.. 

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Thanks for the link!

Again, this logic surpasses me too. Hahahha... What's the correlation again? It's a melo therefore they cannot be close? Whuuut?? Hahahahaha... *stumped*

I might be wrong but I think what SJK meant was that since the story line is Melo, the staff expected that the actors and the mood on set would be more serious ( like when Meryl Streep played Miranda Preistley in devil wears prada because of her character she never interacted with the cast mates to stay in character). But since they got along so well the mood on set was not like that for a melo drama. So the staffers were just pulling his leg and asking him if the melo aspect of the drama would come through to audience if the lead actors got along so well that they forgot the emotions they're supposed to convey.

umm, did I make any sense. If not, ignore my post. Hope I didn't confuse you further.

• Like 19

I'm watching this now and I'm totally in love with Jin Goo all over again. His character is definitely my type. Wish he was lead. Idk why he hasn't been given any lead. I hope this drama will help him. 

• Like 7

'Descendants of the Sun' commands six-figure tag in Japan

Sensational South Korean television series "Descendants of the Sun" has been exported to Japan with a big price tag, industry sources said Sunday, reviving a foray into the market that the country had trouble reaching lately.

The sources said the KBS 2TV drama has been sold at $100,000 per episode. It airs on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and the sixth episode of the 16-part series will be on air this Wednesday.

"Descendants of the Sun" is the first South Korean drama to command six figures per episode in nearly three years, according to the sources, indicating that Japan, which once seemed reluctant to import South Korean shows, is ready to bring in programs from its neighbor.

An earlier KBS series, "Winter Sonata," took Japan by storm in 2002 and established a market presence for South Korean shows there. Over the ensuing decade, popular TV series commanded as much as $200,000 per episode, and then in 2012, "Love Rain," starring Hallyu icon Jang Keun-suk, went for $300,000 per episode.

"Love Rain," however, was a bust in the ratings war at home, and was also poorly received among critics. Other dramas that were sold to Japan in the similar price range also disappointed both critically and commercially, leading to a downward spiral for South Korean TV programs in Japan.

It coincided with the rise in anti-Korean sentiment in Japan, and the few dramas that were sold to Japan barely cracked $100,000 per episode.

Enter "Descendants of the Sun," whose most recent episode drew a 31.2 percent rating in the nation's capital last week.

A love story between an Army captain and a doctor who travel to a war-torn country called Uruk to save lives, it's the first Korean show to be aired in South Korea and China simultaneously. It's also been noted for being completely pre-produced. Traditionally, Korean shows are produced on an episode-by-episode basis to leave some wiggle room for tweaks.

"When 'Descendants of the Sun' got off to a phenomenal start in both Korea and China, Japanese buyers put it at the top of their list," one local industry source said. "The competition led to such a high price tag."

It's the first show by the male lead Song Joong-ki since the end of his mandatory military service. Song Hye-kyo, the female lead and a long-time Hallyu star, is in her first TV drama in three years.

Industry sources say Jang Keun-suk could get his redemption in the international market with much-anticipated SBS series "Jackpot," which will premiere on March 28. (Yonhap)

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160313000278

And another shorter article

'Descendants of the Sun' to go to air in Japan

Spoiler

By Park Si-soo

KBS TV drama series "Descendants of the Sun" will go to air in Japan.

According to news reports, the Korean broadcaster recently signed a contract to sell the 16-episode drama to a Japanese broadcaster for $100,000 per episode. The Japanese buyer is unknown.

Industry insiders welcome the news, raising expectations that this deal could lead to a full-fledged resumption of imports of Korean TV dramas and shows by Japanese TV stations.

Japanese broadcasters have been reluctant to import Korean TV content for years due to chilly diplomatic ties, caused by conflicting views on Korea's easternmost islets of Dokdo, comfort women and other historic issues.

•  
  •  

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2016/03/386_200235.html

@moondovegoddess21 Welcome aboard! Enjoy your time spazzing here with us DOTS lovers :wub: 

• Like 18

Hello everyone. Hehe, I'm a new member in this thread. For the past days, I've been silently reading and lurking into this thread. I am so overwhelmed by your insights regarding this drama, and it's a joy in my heart to be able to share my feelings into this thread in the near future! :D

I was anticipating Descendants of the Sun even before the 1st episode was released, the trailer immediately caught my eye. And when I watched the 1st episode of DotS, I have no regrets because it was always worth my time! Hehe. I think this is the first kdrama that I was literally hooked, maybe because of KMY and YSJ's relationship, since I think its hard to maintain a relationship with both of their professions. I'm always looking forward in the new episodes of the DotS!:wub:

• Like 17

@gilaswan   @nataliakay   Agree gilaswan's dissection and intepretation of the kiss scene is SPOT ON ! It is just fascinating the actor/actress could film the scene so naturally and convey the emotions without a word. I think it is my favourite K-drama kiss scenes of recent 5 years (close 2nd being Healer's first kiss).

Indeed a beautiful scene, in an old kitchen, without any falling snow/leaves. The directing is really superb.

It's weekend here where I am and all I could think of is BISCEPS !!! 

• Like 12

Netizen Buzz

tae.jpg
Article: [Exclusive] 'Descendants of the Sun' exported to Japan for 2 billion won... reviving the dying Hallyu wave in Japan

Source: Yonhap News via Nate

1. [+862, -28] The plot is totally something the Japanese would like. It's sweet but still full of yearning and of course the male lead is handsome and the female lead is beautiful. It's probably perfectly to their tastes.

2. [+847, -34] Maybe Song Joong Ki will surpass Bae Yong Joon ♡

3. [+711, -36] When something's good, all eyes are the same..

4. [+42, -6] Even 2 billion won isn't enough

5. [+38, -2] I think Jin Goo will be more popular in Japan, he has that Japanese actor feel to him. He has a macho feel.

6. [+31, -6] This drama is going to dominate Korea, China, and Japan

7. [31, -5] I heard Japanese women love Korean men because they serve in the army so they think it's masculine of them ㅋㅋ

8. [+28, -0] The plot seems like it'd be something the Japanese would like but I don't think the lines can be translated perfectly... I've noticed that the translations are off on other dramas so it worries me..

9. [+22, -0] Japan has a self-defense force and isn't on a conscription like Korea so they don't have that army feel. I'm sure the women will fall hard for Song Joong Ki's soldier character.

10. [+22, -4] All of the visuals are the types that Japanese ajummas would like

11. [+16, -0] Looks like Joong Ki's about to land on lots of cash.. Bae Yong Joon managed to turn his life around with just 'Winter Sonata'~

12. [+12, -0] Song Hye Gyo's already a Hallyu star (probably one of the founders of Hallyu) and Song Joong Ki has gotten popular with 'Running Man' but this will certainly catapult him up there

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/descendants-of-sun-exported-to-japan.html

• Like 24

I'm happy for KJW with her rise in popularity becoz of DOTS and getting many offers. I hope and would love to hear more praises for Song Hye Kyo too. She is a GEM in DOTS and deserves much more attention!!

Kim Ji Won Experiences Rise in Popularity Thanks to “Descendants of the Sun”

Kim Ji Won Experiences Rise in Popularity Thanks to “Descendants of the Sun”

Actress Kim Ji Won becomes the “blue chip” in the commercial industry with the explosive popularity of KBS 2TV’s “Descendants of the Sun.”

Kim Ji Won debuted as a model for the beverage company OranC. With her distinctive features and kind image, she grabbed the public’s eye receiving much love.

Currently, Kim Ji Won is appearing in KBS 2TV’s “Descendants of the Sun” experiencing the height of her popularity due to her beauty and acting. She portrays the role of army surgeon Yoon Myung Joo, who is the one and only daughter of the Special Operations Commander.

Kim Ji Won shines in her uniform with her cute bob. Hearing military speech spoken by her is quite charming. She is leading the “girl crush” wave popular in the mini drama series in recent days.

Spoiler

Army surgeon Yoon Myung Joo comes on strong in the name of love. She’s very straight forward. In “Descendants of the Sun,” Yoon Myung Joo is in love with Seo Dae Young (Jin Goo). The two are in love with each other, but Yoon Myung Joo’s father Yoon Joong Jang (Kang Shin Il) opposes their relationship.

Seo Dae Young tries to avoid her, but Yoon Myung Joo doesn’t give up. Even when he tells her, “I have a change of heart,” she responds saying, “I don’t believe you.” She even follows him to Uruk. But Seo Dae Young is called back to Korea by her father and the two say heartbreaking goodbyes as soon as they meet.

Then a massive earthquakes hits Uruk and Seo Dae Young returns to help the victims. The two lovers exchange passionate gazes. Yoon Myung Joo tells Seo Dae Young, “Please don’t get hurt. This is an order. Keep this promise with your life.”

It is said that Kim Ji Won has been receiving many offers to appear in commercial ads since her appearance in the drama. Her agency representative from King Kong Entertainment comments, “She’s currently a model in the fashion and beauty industry working with China. Since her appearance in ‘Descendants of the Sun,’ more offers from communications, cosmetics, and the games industry have been coming in.”

“Descendants of the Sun” is 100 percent pre-produced. Kim Ji Won is currently considering her next project.

“Descendants of the Sun” airs every Wednesday and Thursday on KBS2. Catch the latest episode on Viki!

http://omnifeed.com/article/www.soompi.com/2016/03/11/kim-ji-won-experiences-rise-in-popularity-thanks-to-descendants-of-the-sun/

• Like 13

14 hours ago, wangnyeo said:

Songki oppa announced china fan meeting but!!

demand a world wide fan meeting tour by whole team and a concert like the one done by Reply series  TT 

Agree and~~~

I hope they decide to go vacation to Bali~ hahahaha~

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, inshara2000 said:

12. [+12, -0] Song Hye Gyo's already a Hallyu star (probably one of the founders of Hallyu) and Song Joong Ki has gotten popular with 'Running Man' but this will certainly catapult him up there

This comment is gold..... LOL:bawling: but true though.

YES!!! THIS IS SO TRUE. If you ask the "millennials" or the Y generation in my country who their first favorite Korean actress was, they would probably say SHK or "that girl in the drama Full House". Full House was such a hit in my country (PH!) and they love SHK so much cos she doesn't age. LOL. 

I wonder which TV network will get to buy DOTS here in the PH. Hope it will revive the Filipinos' love for Kdrama which has been dying out in the last years. 

--

btw, I didn't know Love Rain was sold that much in Japan. Didn't even bother watching the trailer. Hope they increase DOTS' rate!!!!

• Like 18