How do you talk to girls walking between class?

Ninshark

question mainly for guys, something I've always wondered. How do you talk to a girl walking on campus? someone who's in between classes or going home? It's kinda like.. do you just stop them? but you'd be taking time away from them trying to get to where they're going right? It seems at least 3x easier to approach a sitting girl than a moving girl. You can just go up and talk to them, but someone walking around? you'd have to chase them down, flag them, and keep up, while at the same time not making it seem like you're following in them. how do you do this?

I actually found out how to talk to girls in situations like this accidentally. One day I get out of class and this girl is wearing these really cute shoes and this really cute blouse. I told her I like your shoes and she does a little giggle and says "Thank You". We then start talking for about 5 minutes and hurry on to class.

Then I did this again to another girl and I wasn't even trying to flirt with her either it just happened. I still do this and it works a good percentage of the time. So just compliment the girl you want to talk to but you obviously don't want to be disrespectful either. You are thinking too much just do it. After you compliment her then introduce your self maybe even ask them Their Facebook or phone number. Ask them what classes they are taking or where they are from. Now this obviously is more difficult to do if a girl is in the Library focusing on studying.

I'm not even an attractive guy and very short but this still works. If I look like an 8th grader and I can pull this off I'm pretty sure you can do this. No need to chase her down and I'm pretty sure you will see them again too so if it doesn't work this time she Might say hi to you the next time she see's you. If somone compliments you in a respectful way are just gonna keep walking and ignore them? Most people will stop and say something back. If they look like they are in a hurry it's okay. It's no need to rush anything either. You can always talk to her later.

I just say whatever comes to my mind. If I come up blank, I fall back on "Hey how you doing?" Here's an example of a pick-up I've done before. Not pre-meditated
Me: Excuse meHer: Yes?Me: .... That's all I got. Just excuse me.Her: Do I know you?Me: You could. Could be your lucky day.Her: Or the worst.Me: Well, there's always that. Most likely that. But the fun part is finding that out. I'm J by the way.Her: Mia. Me: Are you in a hurry to get somewhere Mia?Her: I'm going to see a friend.Me: Well I don't want to take up too much of your time Mia. I would however, like to take you out sometime and show you the worst time of your life. What do you say?Her: *laughs* Alright, here's my number.
Just be playful and light-hearted. The hardest part is just going up and saying Hi. It's not even the rejection. That's not the part that scares people IMO. It's just getting out of your comfort zone and putting yourself out there. For better or worse. Don't take it personally if it doesn't work out and you never know what you can make of it. Good luck

Guest alphaone

The truth is, talking to a girl that you don’t know isn’t as hard as most guys imagine.  Guys always have some kind of anxiety when talking to girls especially if they’re strangers, and that’s normal.  First of all, you need to realize that they are just regular human beings like yourself.  Then you should know that it is okay to be rejected.  Why?  Because everyone is different and unique.  Not everyone is going to like you.  Just like how you won't get along with everyone in the world.  But that’s okay because on the brighter side some people will absolutely love you!  The hardest part for most guys for these kind of interacting with a stranger girl situation is the fear of rejection.  As well, guys tend to take rejections too personally, ie. "she rejected me because I am just not attractive."  The truth is, a failed interaction is simply failed chemistry, and that is affected by numerous factors that you may not be able to control.

That being said, there is something you CAN control, and that is how you present yourself.  Most guys do not understand the meaning when they’re given an advice “just be yourself”.  In fact, it is the best advice any guy can get.  You should be yourself and talk to her about anything that you want to talk about, just like how you would talk to your regular friends.  And here is where most guys have misconception.  Most guys believe that there is a special "method" you do to talk to girls in one situation (such as in class), then another method for another situation (such as on the street).  The truth is, there is no magic method that "works" in ALL social situations.  This is because humans (including girls) are not computers that run on some sort of magical "algorithm". That is to say, in any social interactions (including talking to girls), there is no algorithm for you to learn so that an input A (wanting to talk to a girl) will always generate output B (she ends up liking you).  Believe it or not, girls are adept at deciphering what kind of a guy you really are within a short amount of time (as short as a few minutes), simply through your overall vibe (that includes the way you talk, body language, facial expressions, etc.) that you give off.

Girls usually won’t tell you to go away if they’re already sitting down unless they’re in a bad mood and want to be left alone.  However when they are walking somewhere (work, class, etc) they usually have a time constraint.  That’s why when they don’t have time they’re not going to stop walking and talk to a random stranger like you unless you’re interesting (different from all the guys who talk to her on daily basis).  You simply need to respect that she is in a rush, let her know you are respecting that, and interact with her quickly within this short amount of time.  The reasonable thing to do is to at least let her know honestly why you stopped her, and then let her know you would like to contact her later when you both have time to get to know her further.

And lastly, this is where it leads to an important point here: "get to know her".  Most guys are too quick to like a girl and expect her to like them back.  So essentially, instead of simply wanting to get to know another human being, you are jumping to the conclusion that just because she is "cute/pretty/beautiful" etc, you for sure like her already (without getting to know her).  And so, most guys approach with a "personal benefit" in mind (ie. want to get her).  So an important point here is to eliminate that benefit-seeking mentality.  You should restructure your mentality so that you are talking to her because you genuinely want to get to know another unknown human being, and you don’t expect anything in return. Her good looks should only be something that caught your initial attention, but nothing more.  That way, you’ll be much more natural and actually have fun talking to girls, or people in general.  How you talk to a girl should have minimal differences compared to how you talk to your friends.

thanks for all the advice. @evirus I can relate to yours. There is once in awhile that there is a girl so perfect she overrides all my inhibitions, and I have tried the compliment approach, but she wasn't as receptive as yours. just bad luck. I suppose I can do it for the really attractive ones, but I'd be missing out on the huge portion of above average ones.

Archived