[Variety 2015] Three Meals A Day - Fishing Village 삼시세끼-어촌편 (tvN)

user posted image It wouldn't be TMAD Fishing Village without Papa Yoo!

June 12, 2016  

Yoo Hae Jin Surprises “Three Meals A Day” Cast With Belated Addition To The Show

Source: Soompi by notclaira 

Yoo Hae Jin Surprises “Three Meals A Day” Cast With Belated Addition To The Show

Actor Yoo Hae Jin is joining Cha Seung Won, Son Ho Joon, and Nam Joo Hyuk on “Three Meals A Day – Gochang Edition!”

The production staff stated on June 13, “The background of the new season is Gochang in Jeollabukdo (North Jeolla Province). Actor Yoo Hae Jin has been confirmed as a fixed member for the new season.”

Yoo Hae Jin’s participation in the show has been unclear up until now due to his film schedule. However, the movie production company gave him permission to appear and tweaked his schedule and Yoo Hae Jin was able to join the cast late.

Cha Seung Won, who regretted that Yoo Hae Jin was not able to participate, was shocked when Yoo Hae Jin surprised him on set.

The new season will air starting July 1.

Source (1)

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit confused here. While it retains the same 3 cast, this new TMAD is no longer on Manjae-do but a countryside area in Gochang County, North Jeolla. Should there be a new thread or perhaps, some amendments on the existing thread title?

June 29, 2016

‘Three Meals a Day’ cast is all set

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

SSI_20160617105013_V.jpg

The first episode of the tvN reality show “Three Meals a Day,” starring Cha Seung-won, Son Ho-jun, Yu Hae-jin and Nam Joo-hyuk, will air on Friday. 

The upcoming series will be the fifth season of the variety program, which launched its first season in 2014. The program features celebrities in rural settings making home appliances with wire and wood and foraging for cooking ingredients.

Cha, Son and Yu previously took part in two seasons of the series last year on Manjae Island in South Jeolla. Nam has been added as a new member for the new season, which will take place in Gochang County, North Jeolla. 

“As it was released in the media, Yu originally could not join the new season due to his hectic schedule,” the program’s producer, Na Young-seok, said at a press conference held in Sangam-dong, western Seoul. 

“The production crew was going to cast a celebrity similar to Yu, but then we decided to cast someone completely different in case Yu could join back the next season.”

Yu was able to join the program at the last minute, and the four members have been confirmed for the upcoming show. 

“The four members are like a family, each fully fulfilling their role,” Na said. 

By Jin Min-ji

June 29, 2016

'Three Meals a Day' aims to promote slow life

By Kim Jae-heun The Korea Times

16-04(279).jpg
From left, Son Ho-jun, Cha Seung-won, Yoo Hae-jin and Nam Joo-hyuk are seen in a scene from a "Three Meals a Day" episode in Gochang, North Jeolla Province, which is set to premier this Friday. / Courtesy of CJ E&M

"Three Meals a Day," tvN's popular reality cooking show, begins a new season ― this time in Gochang County, North Jeolla Province ― to promote healthy cooking and the slow lifestyle. Last season was shot in Jeongseon County, Gangwon Province last year from May to September.

"Many vegetables and fruits grown in Gochang will appear in our new episode," said the show's producer Lee Jin-ju during a press conference at Standford Hotel in Mapo-gu, Seoul. "If you find yourself interested in the show please try cooking at home with the ingredients. Our show is successful if people start to use organic ingredients after watching our series.

The reality cooking show invites popular actors Cha Seung-won, Yoo Hae-jin, Son Ho-jun and Nam Joo-hyuk to stay in the countryside and cook using only ingredients they find on the local farms. The show aims to deliver a message on the importance of preparing meals and eating together as a family, which is often ignored in fast-moving modern cities.

"We are trying to focus on the process of preparing the meals you would find in the countryside, which we believe is another fun part of watching the show. Meanwhile, the members of the cast will build a stronger fellowship among themselves through working together," Lee said.

Actors Lee Seo-jin, Ok Taec-yeon and Kim Kwang-kyu appeared in the previous season's episodes in a fishing village to show off the picturesque scenery of Manjaedo Island in South Jeolla Province. For the Gochang series, the production crew plans on showing both the seaside and mountains of the town.

Actor Cha's cooking skills are another interesting feature to watch as his unique seafood cooking style grabbed audiences in the episodes shot in the fishing village. This time the actor has to use ingredients grown in the fields and mountains.

"When I told my wife I would do this show again, the first question she asked me was ‘what kind of dishes will you make?' I think it will be the audience's common question as well," Cha said.

"In the episodes at Gochang, the actors cooked food they wanted to eat at that time," said script writer Kim Dae-joo.

"What Cha cooks in the episode is not commonly seen in ordinary life. They are his own recipes. However, if Cha has 100 different dishes he can cook, he can only make half of them in countryside because of the limitation of using available ingredients. So we decided to provide him some tools," said producer Na Young-seok.

Na also added that not all the necessary ingredients are available to cook different dishes in Gochang although there are small fields near where they are shooting. Na allowed the actors to work part-time for local residents and earn money to shop for the necessary ingredients in nearby towns.

"Of course we had the actors farm the crops for their part-time jobs as part of the entertaining segments of the show. But we used a documentary filming technique when shooting the actors working in the rice paddies, because rice is the main source of food for Koreans and it is important to show how rice is farmed," said Na.

Three Meals a Day will premier at 9:45 p.m. this Friday.

jhkim@ktimes.com

On 6/28/2016 at 10:00 PM, rubie said:

I'm a bit confused here. While it retains the same 3 cast, this new TMAD is no longer on Manjae-do but a countryside area in Gochang County, North Jeolla. Should there be a new thread or perhaps, some amendments on the existing thread title?

I agree! Just to avoid confusion. I'm looking forward to this new installation and I am hoping and I have a feeling ODK will do Eng Sub and Chinese Sub since I noticed lately majority of their new releases have subs already and they're slowly subbing older shows. They already uploaded ep1 raw.

*Update - I just got the email confirmation from ODK to say they don't have the license to add Eng Subs to TMAD Gochang. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to GOFH4 Arabic for sharing their file, without you this would not have been possible. You rock! ;)

I know this is pretty late but if anyone is still interested to watch with Eng sub, here is Episode 1

P.S. It seems that dramanice has also found the sub file, so they have started uploading subbed episodes, as of now episode 2 is already up. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Congratulations to my favorite 3MAD family, Chajumma, Papa Yoo and son Ho-junnie [+ Sanchae and Byul and new son, Uriga-nam of Gochang] for winning the Daesang for Variety. You guys deserved it, after all the hardships of not having enough catch and other ingredients in Manjae-do. :wub::D;)

more deets here: http://www.soompi.com/2016/10/09/tvn10-awards-honor-best-variety-shows-dramas-past-10-years/

• 1 year later...

Fishing village 1st season is my fave from the 3MAD series. Chajumma is an awesome cook, he cooks quickly without any fuss. haejin is great with hands and making all sorts of items to make their life a little bit easier, hojun is nice as their young sidekick. Both chajumma and haejin seems to adore hojun. Haha. I liked it when they hang out together and share stories. Plus i also think it was one of the most extreme locations in the 3MAD series, combined with extreme weather. 

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

May 9, 2019

Making reality television isn’t all fun and games: Producers talk about the struggles of casting and developing original content

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

08203837.jpg

Reality show producers from television channel tvN discuss their jobs and the industry during the “Creator Talk” event at the CJ ENM building in Sangam-dong, western Seoul, on Tuesday. Pictured above are some of the channel’s shows, including “Mother’s Touch,” “Comedy Big League” and “Street Food Fighter.” [TVN, SCREEN CAPTURE]

As it is all around the world, reality television in Korea offers viewers a much-needed escape from their everyday lives. 

Audiences here can tune in to several dozen reality shows to get their daily dose of laughter or live vicariously through their favorite celebrities as they cook or travel the world. For many, it’s the one time of the day that they get to relax and forget about work. 

But for TV producers - commonly known as PDs in Korea - creating reality television means a lot of stress and unforeseen challenges. 

On Tuesday, five PDs behind some of Korea’s hottest reality shows on TV channel tvN got together at the network headquarters in Sangam-dong, western Seoul, to share with local press what really goes on behind the scenes. They also addressed common viewer complaints and voiced their thoughts on competition from creators on YouTube. 

If there’s one thing they all can agree on, it’s that being a PD is not an easy job. 

“[Being a PD] is really tough, and I think a lot of it has to do with responsibility,” said Jeong Jong-yeon, who directs “The Great Escape,” a show where celebrities try to escape from puzzle-ridden rooms by solving riddles. “At night, I sometimes can’t sleep because I’m worrying that we won’t be able to film according to plan and that I’ll embarrass myself in front of all my colleagues.” 

Moon Tae-joo, who directs the popular cooking program “Mother’s Touch: Korean Side Dishes,” said it’s the ratings that stress him the most. 

“If my show airs on Wednesday, the ratings are automatically sent to us by email the next morning,” said Moon. “On the days the ratings come out, I wake up as early as 5 a.m. If they’re high, I feel happy, but if they drop from the previous episodes, I get discouraged.” 

The directors took the event as an opportunity to address two big elephants in the room - casting celebrities with a criminal past and complaints that reality shows on tvN are too similar, with many that are based on food, travel or a combination of both.

Son Chang-woo took the mike to address the challenges of selecting trustworthy cast members. 

His low-budget travel series “Salty Tour” faced controversy for casting celebrities of questionable character like Jung Joon-young, the singer who admitted to distributing sex videos he filmed of women without their consent, and Kim Saeng-min, who sexually harassed a staff member while filming another program in 2008. Both Jung and Kim had been regular members in “Salty Tour.” 

“As producers, we have a responsibility [for selecting cast members],” said Son “I think it’s important to set criteria and standards for verifying them. We are trying to create a platform for PDs so we can share information and not cast problematic celebrities.” 

The PDs also responded to growing complaints that most tvN reality shows were becoming replicas of one another since celebrity cooking show “Three Meals a Day” aired its first episode in 2014 to tremendous success. Many of tvN’s subsequent food-related shows, such as “Youn’s Kitchen,” “Coffee Friends,” “Miss Korea” and “Korean Hostel in Spain,” all involve Korean celebrities going abroad or to an idyllic place like Jeju Island to cook for regular customers or guests. 

“‘Mother’s Touch’ is not just another mukbang program,” said Moon. “When I first conceptualized the program with Kim Su-mi, we wanted to add a story to each side dish.  We wanted to incorporate that longing for our mother’s food in each episode.” 

Spoiler

On the show, veteran actress Kim Su-mi demonstrates how to make common side dishes, or banchan in Korean, to a cast of famous celebrity chefs. 

“There are comments from viewers that they’re tired of seeing food and travel programs, but I think the shows share universal themes,” said Son. “As someone who needs to create a show, my focus is on using elements that viewers like, rather than copying other PDs.” 

According to Son, he gets ideas for shows while traveling abroad and during drinking sessions with younger colleagues. 

Similarly, Park Hee-yeon, who directed “Street Food Fighter” starring celebrity chef Baek Jong-won, said she takes note of current trends by meeting people and asking them about their interests and experiences.

For Kim Min-kyeong, who directs comedy show “Comedy Big League,” YouTube is a big source of inspiration. 

In one of the show’s regular skits, a comedian parodies mukbang ASMR, a popular variation of mukbang on YouTube where vloggers usually eat something crispy or crunchy while whispering.

“A lot of comedians watch YouTube videos while waiting on set and operate their own YouTube channels,” said Kim. “We sometimes get good ideas from YouTube to incorporate into our show.” 

BY KIM EUN-JIN [kim.eunjin1@joongang.co.kr]

• 3 months later...

Source: Soompi

1. Three Meals a Day

three-meals-a-day.jpg

This series sounds very simple; guests are invited to the countryside where they are to stay and make three meals a day. The series first premiered in 2014 with Lee Seo Jin and 2PM’s Taecyeon. Even they seemed to be confused throughout the season as to what the show was actually about, but it proved to be a success regardless as they were invited again the following year.

three-meals-a-day.jpeg

As the show went on for several more seasons, they invited various celebrities on the show and the cast members would help the cast members make meals and engage in various tasks in the countryside like fishing and having to take care of some animals. It’s slow-paced, but really relaxing to watch. You’ll also get a kick out of seeing the superstar cast members and guests throughout the seasons!

three-meals-a-day1.jpg

Spoiler

three-meals-a-day.gif

Archived