[Taiwanese Drama 2014-2015] Dear Mom 我的寶貝四千金

sugarplum892

angelangie said: the ending was awesome.....every loose knots tight up neatly....QQ as most of us had guess here.....ended up alone....which i think will serve the purpose, the the boss and HQ went their own way too....
i felt anger when HQ went on her tirade and accuse QQ but then i felt sorry for her too.....it was like a war of emotion and you cant blame her, she didnt want to make Li Mama suffer but she couldnt help it....she wanted to accuse someone and she wanted to let it out, while it was selfish of her to make another suffer but it wasnt what she wanted either, she just couldnt contend it any longer and the thing just broke out.....
it was like her emotion was taking over and it just flow out in between the crack....i guess it finally crack....and of course Li Mama was devastated, that somehow a daughter she had raise up was a home wrecker......
it was honestly a sad moment, but she QQ burst out at HQ i was also like you guys was angry with her but given her conscience which had been eating her raw, i guess the crack happen to her too but one thing for sure when Li Mama wanted to kneel and said sorry, QQ with no thoughts left, kneel right in and stop the mother from doing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh good.  Now that the forums are back, I can finally provide a brief update.  Still catching up and honestly, what with everything going on, I'm not that much farther ahead of where I last posted.  Right now though we seem to be in the throes of the QQ storyline and it's painful.  I'm not one to fast forward through things but I've had to do it a lot.  It's just so annoying to watch.  Watching the boss lash out at his other employees after QQ left was particularly irksome because yeah, you lost a good employee and now everyone else is having to pick up the slack, but who's fault is that?!  His own!

YW can be kind of annoying too at times now.  Married but still a child in so many ways, I don't get it.

And the Littlest Sister had so much potential in her storyline but now they're taking her down an path that doesn't make sense for either her or YH's personality.  I know they had to do it because of the actresses' real life situation but I wish they'd found a better way to work around it.  Film from chest up like they do in the US?  :P

Honestly, at this rate, the only person whose story I am enjoying watching is the oldest sister's.  Sigh.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And the Littlest Sister had so much potential in her storyline but now they're taking her down an path that doesn't make sense for either her or YH's personality.  I know they had to do it because of the actresses' real life situation but I wish they'd found a better way to work around it.  Film from chest up like they do in the US? 

:P

Honestly, at this rate, the only person whose story I am enjoying watching is the oldest sister's.  Sigh.

​Sorry for disappearing for a while, I was quite busy for the past few weeks. Did you finish the drama yet, themarchioness?

Haha, I agree with you. I did not like the twist in YH's and XX's storyline either. It was definitely very unfitting of YH's character. I had to self talk myself so much into believing it but then the process of trying to believe it really made me lost a lot of love for YH. I was upset and disappointed in his character even though it seemed so out of his personality to do such a thing, but I guess the drama was trying to show that things like this do happen....>.<".

I also love AQ's storyline more and more as the drama progresses. She's a lovely woman that definitely deserves to have her happily ever after :D!

• Like 1

​Sorry for disappearing for a while, I was quite busy for the past few weeks. Did you finish the drama yet, themarchioness?

Haha, I agree with you. I did not like the twist in YH's and XX's storyline either. It was definitely very unfitting of YH's character. I had to self talk myself so much into believing it but then the process of trying to believe it really made me lost a lot of love for YH. I was upset and disappointed in his character even though it seemed so out of his personality to do such a thing, but I guess the drama was trying to show that things like this do happen....>.<".

I also love AQ's storyline more and more as the drama progresses. She's a lovely woman that definitely deserves to have her happily ever after :D!

​Welcome back, S.C.!  Thank you for stopping by to follow-up with my progress. I'm stillllll not done.  I "somehow" managed to fill my plate with a lot of dramas in the meantime so I'm now juggling to fit everything in.  Honestly, this wouldn't be a problem for "Dear Mom" if I was feeling the storylines more, but I just got so frustrated with so many of the sisters that I let it fall to the wayside.  It's now something I watch when I'm doing cleaning around the house, as it's something I can keep on in the background and not have to sit in front of to understand completely.

Having said that, I did do some housework this past weekend, so I did watch more of the drama and now I'm entering the final stretch (only 5 more episodes to go). 

Right now I'm in the throes of the whole YH-XX mess, and like you said, it was just upsetting and disappointing to have to watch.  It was nice to see QQ recovering in the countryside though.  She's already reached out to AQ via text, and it looked like from previews that she'll soon be returning to Taipei and telling her boss that things are officially over.  Thank goodness, that was long past overdue, except it also looks like the boss's wife will be confronting her and that didn't look pleasant.

YW has been in the background a lot lately, and really, I'm okay with that.  Gives her less opportunities to act like a child.  :P

And AQ, well, she's the only one worth watching at this point.  Her ex just came back so she's now having to deal with that fall-out, but of course she is doing so in a thoughtful, respectful sort of way.  I so agree with you about her being a lovely woman.  I remember at the start of this drama, I was all about the YW and XF storyline.  I even remember getting frustrated with AQ in the beginning because she kept spending money she didn't have and hiding her divorce from her family, and while I knew she was doing all that from a good place -- trying to do nice things for her family, and not let them worry -- it still made me feel disappointed because I wanted her to grow up and realize she had a problem on her hand, and then do something about it.  Well, she did, and I think that's what has made her so loveable out of the four sisters.  I'm not trying to pick favorites, and I recognize that the other sisters have grown and matured in their own ways as well, but I just feel like out of all of them, AQ has done so by leaps and bounds.

I'll be sure to keep popping by to share my progress, and I'll certainly share when I've completed the series (hopefully that won't be too distant in the future).

Edited by themarchioness
  • Like 1

Made some more progress this weekend and now I'm only 2 episodes away from the finish line.

My main beef in this post is with QQ's boss.  I found that conversation he had with his wife so incredibly distasteful; the one in which he asked her for a divorce and explained why he worked so hard (to avoid having to go home to her), etc. 

I believe in the sanctity of marriage and don't believe it's something people should enter into lightly.  However, I'm not so naive to think that all marriages are or should be forever.  Sometimes people who marry with the best intentions simply over time cannot make it work; it happens.  This is clearly what happened with the Boss and his wife.  They married when they were young, before they had an opportunity fully mature and develop, and over time their paths drifted.  That would've been fine and acceptable under ordinary circumstances.  However, what the Boss did in that conversation was to blame all their marital woes on his wife.  That was hardly fair!  And completely uncalled for.  I hate how he refused to hold himself accountable for anything (talk about being cheap and petty!), and I'm so glad the wife was strong enough to stand up for herself and point out that everything he hated now was everything he'd once loved about her, and that it was he who'd changed, not her.

The Boss truly deserves to be sad and alone.  I was relieved when QQ sent him the text to break up with him and even more relieved that although she did show up at the park when he asked her to meet him there, it was to say good-bye to him from a distance.  I was really afraid that she'd cave once more, as she has so many times before, and so proud when she did not. 

• Like 1

Made some more progress this weekend and now I'm only 2 episodes away from the finish line.

My main beef in this post is with QQ's boss.  I found that conversation he had with his wife so incredibly distasteful; the one in which he asked her for a divorce and explained why he worked so hard (to avoid having to go home to her), etc. 

I believe in the sanctity of marriage and don't believe it's something people should enter into lightly.  However, I'm not so naive to think that all marriages are or should be forever.  Sometimes people who marry with the best intentions simply over time cannot make it work; it happens.  This is clearly what happened with the Boss and his wife.  They married when they were young, before they had an opportunity fully mature and develop, and over time their paths drifted.  That would've been fine and acceptable under ordinary circumstances.  However, what the Boss did in that conversation was to blame all their marital woes on his wife.  That was hardly fair!  And completely uncalled for.  I hate how he refused to hold himself accountable for anything (talk about being cheap and petty!), and I'm so glad the wife was strong enough to stand up for herself and point out that everything he hated now was everything he'd once loved about her, and that it was he who'd changed, not her.

The Boss truly deserves to be sad and alone.  I was relieved when QQ sent him the text to break up with him and even more relieved that although she did show up at the park when he asked her to meet him there, it was to say good-bye to him from a distance.  I was really afraid that she'd cave once more, as she has so many times before, and so proud when she did not. 

​That's awesome! We are on the same page! I also have two episodes left too that I've been meaning to finish, but I just haven't had the time or urge (when I did have time) to do so >.<". I don't know what it is, but I guess it was mixed of different things. One part of me wasn't ready to say goodbye to a drama that I did enjoy for most part, but then another part of me was just so frustrated or turned off by some of the new/old plot developments (i.e. the Boss and QQ affair and YH's and XX's new plot twist) so it kind of affected my interest level in keeping with the drama.

I totally feel your frustration with the Boss because that was my biggest problem with him as well. All he does is complain constantly and blame HQ for his misery, yet he doesn't recognize or admit that he is part of the problem too. Throughout the entire drama, I haven't seen him put a single effort in trying to make this marriage work, but instead all he does was just sit there and mull about how it's not working, blah blah blah. In my eyes, he has no one to blame but himself for his so-called "unhappy" marriage because he was the one who let the marriage fall apart! He did nothing to try to make it work but did everything that would break it apart, which is why I feel no pity for him. He sounds like the type of people who would constantly complain about how bad life is treating them, but, in reality, they have not done a single thing to try to change the situation. So I am also very glad that his wife was able to stand against him because she definitely deserves so much better!!

But anyways, I shall calm myself down now. I didn't expect to get so worked up about the Boss after such a long time haha! I guess it shows how upset I am with him lol.

• Like 1

​That's awesome! We are on the same page! I also have two episodes left too that I've been meaning to finish, but I just haven't had the time or urge (when I did have time) to do so >.<". I don't know what it is, but I guess it was mixed of different things. One part of me wasn't ready to say goodbye to a drama that I did enjoy for most part, but then another part of me was just so frustrated or turned off by some of the new/old plot developments (i.e. the Boss and QQ affair and YH's and XX's new plot twist) so it kind of affected my interest level in keeping with the drama.

That's so funny.  I felt the exact same away about watching the remaining episodes!  LOL. 

I finally powered through though and now that I'm mid-way through Episode 83, I have to say, it's not been so bad.  Crossing fingers and knocking on wood but, so far, they've been working through the drama.  The parents are coming around to YH/XX.  And with luck, we won't have to see the Boss anymore.  Now that the drama is returning to the warmth of its story, which is the awesome bonds of this family, I'm kind of looking forward to watching the remaining 1.5 episodes that I've left.  Perhaps this weekend....  ;)

• Like 1

That's so funny.  I felt the exact same away about watching the remaining episodes!  LOL. 

I finally powered through though and now that I'm mid-way through Episode 83, I have to say, it's not been so bad.  Crossing fingers and knocking on wood but, so far, they've been working through the drama.  The parents are coming around to YH/XX.  And with luck, we won't have to see the Boss anymore.  Now that the drama is returning to the warmth of its story, which is the awesome bonds of this family, I'm kind of looking forward to watching the remaining 1.5 episodes that I've left.  Perhaps this weekend....  ;)

​Yyyeahhh....perhaps this weekend too....hehe :D

​some mention that the ending is crappy but to me it was nicely done lols....perhaps i dont set the bar too high i tends to be easily satisfy :P 

​Me too! I would say I'm quite easily satisfy (I think...) as well as long as it's a happy ending lol. And I'm sure the ending for Dear Mom was a happy one....right lol?! Just kidding haha :lol:!

​some mention that the ending is crappy but to me it was nicely done lols....perhaps i dont set the bar too high i tends to be easily satisfy :P 

​For those who thought the ending was crappy, did they explain why?  I quite liked it myself.  It was simple but then, so was the entire drama if you really think about it.  At its heart, it was a tale of a mother who only wanted for her daughters to be healthy and happy.  There may have been up and downs, but what they learned is that so long as they weathered the bad times and celebrated the good times it with the love and support of their family, they'd be okay.  That's what I think the viewers were supposed to get out of the drama, and that's what the ending delivered.

As you can see, yes!  I've finally finished Dear Mom.  I thought the ending, and indeed the entire drama, was nicely done.  It may have been a long journey for me to complete this drama, but I'm glad I did.  It certainly made me appreciate my own mother even more!

Special thanks to angelangie and S.C. for keeping me company during this last bit, and S.C., I look forward to hearing your thoughts as well once you've finished.  :)

• Like 1

Hello hello I am new on soompi ... just want to pop in and give my comments on the drama :) haha but it's been some time since I watched the drama so forgive me If I get any names wrong

Haha first of all I just wanna say that I only followed XF/YW and YH/XX. XF/YW was so perfect omg though I quite disliked the idea of him being an ex gangster, which to me didnt make sense at all.  But i didnt mind it that much later on coz it became a trigger for the conflicts in their relationship so it wasnt as bad. What I really love about this couple though is their innocence. Both of them have never been in love before and it was so cute to see them struggling to figure out their hearts. Esp for XF, he had no idea he was so attracted to YW, going to great lengths to make her happy. YW was so cute too, at the beginning how she thought XF liked her and got too embarrassed around him causing XF to be conflicted too haha too cute :)  

Also, what I love abt these 80 episode dramas is that they do have have to rush through the story. I really love that they dedicated an entire episode on the wedding ( or was it two, I cant rmb) it was so real to life and it made me reflect esp since I am a girl too. Seeing how YW was so distressed about leaving her family, It really made me think. At first, I also had fantasy-like thoughts about marriage, that it would be all happy, spending the rest of your life with your love one. It ever occured to me that marriage is about leaving ur family, ur parents. So when YW was balling her eyes out, I did not feel that it was an exaggeration at all. 

The way they ended the whole wedding YW leaving the house with the dream the dad had of YW returning home was just too perfect. Normally, we would think that dads do not love daughters as much as they show affection for their sons. But this scene here just shows that dads do love their daughters, so much so as to be missing her so much that she appears in his dreams. 

Now moving on to YH/XX. I had so much expections for this and was burnt so badly I cant even :(  can I just say that I started watching this drama coz of jack li ( I loved him in love family) so i was really looking forward to this couple. First I was disappointed when I realised the pairing is a teacher student pairing.  But I let that go since I found XX's quite cute and matches well with YH. And then they destroyed the whole thing by only developing their story only in like what the last 10 eps ??? It's not as though they didnt plan for it in the first place ,  the posters and everything already shows there was supposed to be four couples. Urgh seriously I am so mad. They rushed the whole thing so it just ruined everything. The story was so bad I cant even what's with the sudden pregnancy ??? There wasn't any chemistry either and it's sad coz I know jack li can act. But maybe coz there was no development, even the actors could not convince themselves that they are in love so how are they supposed to convince us?

Other than the romances, all the male characters in the drama are so endearing haha can I keep them all. I love how they are so protective of their ladies. Especially when trying to get YW/XF together and also during the reveal of the divorce.

in conclusion, despite the great disappointment that is YH/XX this drama is perfect. I have watched other 80 ep dramas before so I just tuned in for the fairytale-like romance story. But instead,  I leaned so much more. 

I'm up halfway, around 43ep? But didn't have the motivation to continue because QQ and boss route is killing all the fun. YW/XF are soooo cute together, that's a known fact but I feel like I also get tired of this couple pretty easily because it gets a little bit too repetitive :P Maybe I'm just someone who prefer the "budding romance" phase than the "marriage/dating" phase, lol. I also think that the writer put too much emphasis on them that at a point it feels more like "YW's story", rather than the story of 4 daughters.

I'll probably pick this back up one day but I still have Love Cheque Charge left hanging there in around 40+ep too so It may be hard. It seems that I get tired of SETTV long dramas at around the 40ep mark... The only long drama I loved from SETTV is Fabulous 30, It was satisfying from beginning to end. I'll hold my final verdict for this one until I get back to it.

Edited by c_gunawan541

Hello hello I am new on soompi ... just want to pop in and give my comments on the drama :) haha but it's been some time since I watched the drama so forgive me If I get any names wrong

Haha first of all I just wanna say that I only followed XF/YW and YH/XX. XF/YW was so perfect omg though I quite disliked the idea of him being an ex gangster, which to me didnt make sense at all.  But i didnt mind it that much later on coz it became a trigger for the conflicts in their relationship so it wasnt as bad. What I really love about this couple though is their innocence. Both of them have never been in love before and it was so cute to see them struggling to figure out their hearts. Esp for XF, he had no idea he was so attracted to YW, going to great lengths to make her happy. YW was so cute too, at the beginning how she thought XF liked her and got too embarrassed around him causing XF to be conflicted too haha too cute :)  

Also, what I love abt these 80 episode dramas is that they do have have to rush through the story. I really love that they dedicated an entire episode on the wedding ( or was it two, I cant rmb) it was so real to life and it made me reflect esp since I am a girl too. Seeing how YW was so distressed about leaving her family, It really made me think. At first, I also had fantasy-like thoughts about marriage, that it would be all happy, spending the rest of your life with your love one. It ever occured to me that marriage is about leaving ur family, ur parents. So when YW was balling her eyes out, I did not feel that it was an exaggeration at all. 

The way they ended the whole wedding YW leaving the house with the dream the dad had of YW returning home was just too perfect. Normally, we would think that dads do not love daughters as much as they show affection for their sons. But this scene here just shows that dads do love their daughters, so much so as to be missing her so much that she appears in his dreams. 

Now moving on to YH/XX. I had so much expections for this and was burnt so badly I cant even :(  can I just say that I started watching this drama coz of jack li ( I loved him in love family) so i was really looking forward to this couple. First I was disappointed when I realised the pairing is a teacher student pairing.  But I let that go since I found XX's quite cute and matches well with YH. And then they destroyed the whole thing by only developing their story only in like what the last 10 eps ??? It's not as though they didnt plan for it in the first place ,  the posters and everything already shows there was supposed to be four couples. Urgh seriously I am so mad. They rushed the whole thing so it just ruined everything. The story was so bad I cant even what's with the sudden pregnancy ??? There wasn't any chemistry either and it's sad coz I know jack li can act. But maybe coz there was no development, even the actors could not convince themselves that they are in love so how are they supposed to convince us?

Other than the romances, all the male characters in the drama are so endearing haha can I keep them all. I love how they are so protective of their ladies. Especially when trying to get YW/XF together and also during the reveal of the divorce.

in conclusion, despite the great disappointment that is YH/XX this drama is perfect. I have watched other 80 ep dramas before so I just tuned in for the fairytale-like romance story. But instead,  I leaned so much more. 

first of all welcome to soompi :) hopefully you enjoy your stay here and will stay with us longer lols.....like u....it had been sometimes since i last stick to a drama this long and to be honest while i dreaded some of the stories i still do enjoy it too lols....it had certain concepts that honestly really worth learning and make you kinda believe that there are still more to the world than what is really happening and it make you kinda wanna trust on and keep on believing that things will be alright......

oh i get what you mean about the pregnancy parts lols....it was probably because the actress was really pregnant so it kinda hard on her to be on full times filming and they might cut out some of her scenes and concentrate on the other 3 sisters though to be honest i wouldnt mind them cutting out the boss and QQ parts lols :P

but i gotta say that they tied up everything nicely :)

the actress playing XX was really pregnant ? 

I'm up halfway, around 43ep? But didn't have the motivation to continue because QQ and boss route is killing all the fun.

Totally feel your pain.  I ran into the same problem.  My solution was to just fast forward through a lot of their scenes, and that worked to get me to the end.  Fortunately, it does resolve nicely.  :)

• Like 1

first of all welcome to soompi :) hopefully you enjoy your stay here and will stay with us longer lols.....like u....it had been sometimes since i last stick to a drama this long and to be honest while i dreaded some of the stories i still do enjoy it too lols....it had certain concepts that honestly really worth learning and make you kinda believe that there are still more to the world than what is really happening and it make you kinda wanna trust on and keep on believing that things will be alright......

oh i get what you mean about the pregnancy parts lols....it was probably because the actress was really pregnant so it kinda hard on her to be on full times filming and they might cut out some of her scenes and concentrate on the other 3 sisters though to be honest i wouldnt mind them cutting out the boss and QQ parts lols :P

but i gotta say that they tied up everything nicely :)

the actress playing XX was really pregnant ? 

Yes she was really preg, the husband is actually 'Feng Gou' :D surprise? :D 

omg really hahahaha that's so unexpected she looks young!  Ouh haha then I guess it's forgivable that their screentime got cut 

• 4 months later...