Park Bo Gum 박보검 ♥ 朴寶劍 ♥ パク・ボゴム | Upcoming Drama 2024: When Life Gives You Tangerines | Upcoming Drama 2024: Good Boy

autumnight

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Jan. 21-27, 2019

dramaratings_2.jpg

Song Hye-gyo and Park Bo-gum’s drama Boyfriend ended with a solid 8.9 percent.

Wednesday, Jan. 23      
What’s Wrong Mr. Poong-sang 9 KBS 7.5%
What’s Wrong Mr. Poong-sang 10 KBS 8.8%
Spring Must Be Coming 1 MBC 2.2%
Spring Must Be Coming 2 MBC 2.2%
An Empress’s Dignity 35 SBS 11.0%
An Empress’s Dignity 36 SBS 14.0%
Boyfriend 14 tvN 8.0%
Thursday, Jan. 24      
What’s Wrong Mr. Poong-sang 11 KBS 7.0%
What’s Wrong Mr. Poong-sang 12 KBS 8.0%
Spring Must Be Coming 3 MBC 1.5%
Spring Must Be Coming 4 MBC 1.9%
An Empress’s Dignity 37 SBS 10.9%
An Empress’s Dignity 38 SBS 13.9%
Boyfriend 16 tvN 8.7%

(skipped unrelated.....)

LINK here : http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/01/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-jan-21-27-2019/

*** The drama's ending is simply beautiful in all ways. I find the drama so classic, which can be enjoyed for many years to come. Love it from the beginning till the end! I enjoyed watching it.  :lol:

6 Heartbreaking Moments From The Finale Of “Encounter”

883cffa2ee08400d9306cb483e74ff93.jpeg?s=

Me watching the latest episodes of “Encounter.”

song-joong-ki2.gif

We saw the preview to episode 15, and if that wasn’t enough to break you, then I don’t know what is. Watching Park Bo Gum being sad is like watching a puppy suffer.

park-bo-gum2.gif

I don’t know if it was because I was watching “Encounter” late at night, but I’ve never felt so emotionally connected and broken for the characters as I did while watching the latest episodes – especially in episode 15. It was to the point where every new scene would just top the previous one in terms of heartbreak. Just in case you need a recap of just how monumentally sad episodes 15 and 16 were, here’s a look at six moments.

Warning: Spoilers for episodes 15 and 16 ahead.

1. Woo Seok not being able to let go of Soo Hyun

encounter19.png

To start off, we can’t leave Woo Seok in the dark, because this man was so desperate to bring Soo Hyun back into his life. Although he’s not second-lead syndrome worthy, it was definitely sad to see how much he loves Soo Hyun but can’t be with her. It was especially sad that he felt like he had to push her away in order for her to have a life.

encounter28.png

He just looked so woeful being all alone in his big, cold house at the end of episode 16.

encounter33.png

2. The breakup

We all saw this coming from last week’s episodes. After Jin Hyuk’s mother asks Soo Hyun to break up with her son, she makes up her mind.

encounter110.pngencounter23.pngencounter31.png

But when the moment happened, as predictable as it was, it didn’t prepare us for Park Bo Gum’s reaction and just how broken he was.

encounter41.png

Park Bo Gum broken = us broken. 

Especially when he said these words:

encounter20.png

3. When Jin Hyuk finds out his mom had asked Soo Hyun to break up with him

Screen-Shot-2019-01-23-at-10.13.46-PM.pn

Jin Hyuk overhears his mom talking to his dad about meeting Soo Hyun. The dad thinks Jin Hyuk’s mom made a big mistake, but she doesn’t regret it because she doesn’t want Jin Hyuk to get hurt. The part that made this situation really heartbreaking was the fact that Jin Hyuk didn’t even get the tiniest bit upset at his mom. This shows Jin Hyuk’s maturity, understanding, and how he’s pretty much perfect.

Spoiler

4. When Jin Hyuk goes and sees Soo Hyun

After Jin Hyuk learns about his mom meeting Soo Hyun, he takes the initiative to go and see her again. It’s his desperate attempt at trying to get her back, but she doesn’t change her mind.

encounter24.pngencounter111.pngencounter25.png

This leads to the part that really shattered our hearts:

encounter32.pngencounter42.pngencounter51.png

Despite Jin Hyuk’s efforts, Soo Hyun can’t imagine living in Jin Hyuk’s world and doesn’t want her public lifestyle to have any sort of negative effect on him or his family. This particular part was sad because we could totally feel Jin Hyuk’s anguish and heartache. The writing in this scene was also perfect as Soo Hyun’s reasoning was so realistic and made complete sense. It almost convinced me that he was better off without her.

encounter26.png

Still can’t get over seeing Jin Hyuk so alone, crying on his hands and knees after she leaves the room.

5. Jin Hyuk’s mom meeting Soo Hyun again

encounter112.png

After having a talk with Jin Hyuk, his mom starts to regret having told Soo Hyun to break up with her son. She understands Jin Hyuk’s sincere feelings for Soo Hyun and decides to meet with her to apologize and take back what she had said.

This part was mainly sad because not even Jin Hyuk’s mom could convince Soo Hyun. I was hoping that it would give some sort of incentive for Soo Hyun to get back together with Jin Hyuk, but it seemed like she had firmly made up her mind.

6. The reconciliation

When Soo Hyun finally realizes that she wants to be with Jin Hyuk, she goes to find him. The entire scene is pretty perfect with the lightly falling snow, the background music, and their facial expressions.

encounter43.pngencounter52.png

Although this part wasn’t heartbreaking in the sense that it was sad, it did break our hearts because we could see just how much Jin Hyuk loves Soo Hyun. He was so persistent and determined on never giving up on his love for her. It’s unconditional and so touching.

encounter27.pngencounter113.png

Bonus: This OST

As if the episodes weren’t mournful enough, we had this OST playing in the background, making everything monumentally sadder.

Side note: One of the best parts about this series was the OST. Every song was perfection.

Final thoughts

After hearing that Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo were going to star in a drama together, I was pretty apprehensive and didn’t have a strong desire to watch it. However, I wanted to give the premiere episodes a shot. What was really surprising was just how enjoyable it was to see the beginning stages of Cha Soo Hyun and Kim Jin Hyuk’s relationship. I loved the developing romance between the two characters and especially appreciated a lot of the lines in the script. By episode 4, I was totally intrigued and couldn’t wait to watch the next episodes. I even almost forgot about Song Joong Ki (except for maybe during the kiss scenes).

encounter5.gif

Towards the middle of the series, things started to slow down a bit. There weren’t too many dramatic moments, and a lot of focus was on Cha Soo Hyun’s mother and whether she was going to get in the way of their relationship. Other than that, there really wasn’t much going on. Despite this, I appreciated the simplicity of the script and was able to chalk it up as being a simple fairy-tale story with two gorgeous main leads. Seriously, you could watch the two watch paint dry and it’d be picturesque.

encounter4.gif

The last two episodes came as a surprise in terms of being pretty emotionally invested in Jin Hyuk’s character and his desperate pleas in trying to get Soo Hyun back. His love was so pure, so innocent, and Park Bo Gum was able to pull it off flawlessly. What the series started to lack in dramatic moments was definitely made up for in the last two episodes.

While I can’t say that it’s a series that is super exciting to watch, this one hits all the notes if you like a good classic romance K-drama. It’s also perfect to watch this winter season while you cozy up in bed. Park Bo Gum’s charm will sure to warm your heart!

encounter6.gif

Watch the final episodes of “Encounter”:

Watch Now

credit : soompi news

Spoiler

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gumtaek said:

Hi gumtaek, thanks for sharing this. The Good Data Corporation analyzed 33 dramas that aired between January 21 and January 27 in the areas of online articles, blog posts, community forums, social media, and views on video clips. So NICE that the couple managed to keep their places as No. 1 and No. 2 on the buzzworthy actors list from last week. :lol:

4 hours ago, gumtaek said:

*** Also, thanks for sharing this - Bogum is known to have a close friendship with BTS and in particular, with V. NICE that they have each others’ backs. Although, V wasn’t able to watch all the episodes due to his busy schedule. Well, in the past, Bogum also went to support BTS at their concert despite of his busy schedule. The friendship is simply admirable! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, gumtaek said:

:)

gumtaek, thanks for sharing this IG clip.  I'm surprised with his performance of TWICE‘s “What is Love?” And he rocked & nailed it. Hahaha - He performed numerous songs. He's not just an actor but there in the FM he showed off his excellent singing and dancing skills. Watching the video, he reminded me also of Lee Jun Ki covering one their songs, too & other female group. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Interview trans posted by @khxy in encounter thread (thank you).

Park Bo Gum's  interview excerpt

" I don' feel the age gap between us"

How do you feel about working with Song Hye Kyo?

First of all, it's a magical feeling to be able to work with her. She took care of me well,  because she acted well as Cha Soo Hyun, i was able to focus fully as Kim Jin Hyuk too.

What can you learn from Song Hye Kyo?

When i heard Song Hye Kyo's senior reciting her lines, i thought that i really need to work hard and learn as much as i can.

"Eventhough our age gap is quite huge but we can converse well. Cha Soo Hyun and Kim Jin Hyuk's chemistry is great, that's why you can't feel the age gap"

" Green grapes are light ,sweet and maybe a bit of underripe flavor. I was worried about how can i portray the this character well but i gradually understand the character when i was acting with Song Hye Kyo senior in Cuba."

" I am surprised that my long hair will attract much attention.It's hard to manage but i think that hairstyle suits Kim Jin Hyuk at certain point so i decided to leave it ."

During the interview, Bo Gum asked the journalists " When you were watching our drama, did we really not have chemistry?"

His frank question created an atmosphere during interview.

He first received scripts for first 4 episodes, Kim Jin Hyuk's character is just like Don Quixote. He is not aggressive/ forceful but tenacious.

Regarding ratings, he says "  I mentioned before during press conference that i don't really pay much attention/care much about ratings( insist on getting a certain ratings). I just hope that the drama can bring warmth to many and a relaxing one. That's why i am grateful to see the results and i think to have this kind of ratings is really wonderful. Nowadays, we have a number of great dramas, i don't have any regret whatsoever. I am most grateful towards viewers and fans who diligently watch our drama from the start till the end."

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Trans From @bubblechoco (thank you)

- I think he had decided to take on this project after receiving the script for the first 4 episodes
- Bogum thinks Jinhyuk is very straightforward when it comes to love, and he said he would probably do the same but might not be able to do as far.

- He talks about his acting controversy in earlier episodes, he accepts people comments as he knows he is still short of something. But he comments this is really the way that he yawns and said maybe he should have his mouth open wider next time.

- Scenes that leave him the lasting impression: Yeonja's apologising to Jinhyuk / Soohyun's tangerine preserve scene.
- Sighs his 20s is passing real quick and wants to get the most out of it, and when it's about time he will enlist without hesitation.

- When asked about the crying acting, he said he it does feel sadder watching the preview with the OST that comes with it (E15 Preview has Baek Ahyeon's OST).
- He said P.O. is a loveable cutie.
- He praises Director Park Shinwoo for getting things into fine detail, especially the seaside scene in EP1, when Soohyun envisages people dancing and next to them there's a lady is dancing with a guy in white shirt. He comments maybe it's something that the audiences won't realise too.

- He is now busy on his Fan-meeting Tour, and will start looking at new project in April. He wants something that is different from Kim Jinhyuk, and to try acting in different role.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

(Yonhap Interview) 'Encounter' launches actor Park Bo-gum well into his manhood

Actor Park Bo-gum stormed into the public consciousness with his role as a quiet and gentle genius teenage Go player in the wildly successful local TV series "Reply 1988," which ran from late 2015 to early 2016.

His next role, in the 2016 KBS period romance drama, "Love in the Moonlight," again cemented Park's image as a youthful, sweet-hearted actor on the border between the adolescence and manhood.

With his latest role in the tvN romance series, "Encounter," Park took a clear, irreversible step into his manhood both as an actor and a person.

"I wanted to present (the leading character) as a young man, rather than as a boy, as well as the process of the young man's rebirth as a genuine man," Park said during an interview with Yonhap News Agency on Monday.

Co-starring Song Hye-kyo of the 2016 mega-hit "Descendants of the Sun", the new drama aired its final, 16th episode last week.

The drama's male lead, Park's Jin-hyuk, an open-minded newcomer on the staff at a newly opened hotel chain, rescued the hotel owner, Cha Soo-hyun (played by Song), from her long-strained life as the daughter of a high-profile politician and the ex-daughter-in-law of a wealthy family.

"I am always left with a sense of regret whenever I act in a project. (When I started acting in 'Encounter') I was under pressure and wanted to do well because this was my first contemporarily set drama," Park said. "As more episodes went on-air, I tried to portray (Jin-hyuk) as actively expressing his love (for Soo-hyun)."

The 25-year-old shares Jin-hyuk's sensitivity to other people's feelings, but Park is more reserved when it comes to romance.

"I resemble Jin-hyuk in that he puts other people's hearts ahead (of his own), but he is more direct and outgoing in terms of expressing (his love)," according to Park.

"When I meet someone I love, I say 'I like you' often, but saying it as often as Jin-hyuk did is really difficult. I learned a lot from him."

When it was announced in July last year, the casting of the latest TV show, drew both excitement and bemusement as it brought together two TV stars who were born 12 years apart as a couple.

Spoiler

"When it was announced in July last year, the casting of the latest TV show, drew both excitement and bemusement as it brought together two TV stars who were born 12 years apart as a couple.
"Our interaction wasn't divergent to the point of realizing the age gap; the shooting was very smooth because we both understood our characters well," Park noted.
For Park, it was his first TV appearance since his last KBS drama in 2016, as well as his first TV role playing a fully-grown adult.
"When I first came across this scenario, it looked really fresh and interesting in the ending of each episode. I also liked the sweet mindsets of Jin-hyuk and other characters," he said.
"Looking back from the point of the show's ending, I think it was a heart-warming and smoothly plotted drama, although there are various points of view," he said.
"But I still have my first pledge that I would not be affected by the show's viewership and I am happy with its results. I think it was good enough."
"Encounter" started off with a solid viewing rate of over 10 percent, which is high for cable TV programs, but the figure came down to the 8-percent range at the time of the show's ending last week, according to Nielsen Korea.
Playing the role of Jin-hyuk was a soul-searching journey for Park.
"Jin-hyuk clearly and surely knows the happiness of everyday life. I happened to see through his eyes what I have missed out on, neglected or gotten used to (in the course of the past 20 years)."
"Acting is what I like and chose to do, and it's satisfying that I could find happiness in my work."
He also mentioned a possibility of early military enlistment. All able-bodied South Korea men are required to do 19 months of military service because the country is technically still at war with North Korea.
"I wanted to join (the military) at a time that wasn't too late," he said.

Following the drama's ending, Park kicked off an Asian fan-meeting tour over the weekend in Seoul. Some 5,000 fans gathered to meet and greet Park in the first leg of the Asian tour, held at the stadium of Korea University on Saturday, according to Blossom Entertainment.
He will meet 50,000 more fans when he visits Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan and the Philippines as part of his Asian tour.

https://m-en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20190128009800315

• Like 3
  • Love 2

When I read about the acting controversy, I thought to myself, what was that all about? Only to find out afterwards that it was his 'yawn' in Episode 3 which netizens even made fun of. Our boy really has a healthy and humble mindset and I love that about him.

Spoiler

Allow me to rant and will revert to my 'striving to be Bo Gum mode'. But isn't that nitpicking? After all there is not one right way to yawn. We can yawn with our signature style. Bo Gum has been refined so I am not surprised at all that he yawned that way...refinely.

Spoiler

About the ratings, our boy is under so much pressure to turn all his projects into mega-hits but who has that track record? Moreover, by cable drama standards, an average rating (Episodes 1-16) of 8.475% is very high for a cable drama and is considered a critical success (check dramabeans spotlight on Bo Gum and Koalasplayground and my post on ratings in the drama thread p.146) To have 3 consecutive successful projects is quite a feat! 

@autumnight: Did they use filters with these photos, too?

Dx_w2pnV4AAQHwg.jpg

Dx_w3PZUwAAK8x2.jpg

credit: Logo

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Dx-ndX6V4AEQMu8?format=jpg&name=large

Totally love and admire how BoGum handled post drama interviews. He knows they will try to twist his words to make headlines but he is too smart for their sneaky intents. Well done boy. 

Those interviewers are too obvious... tsk tsk

First asking about SJK ( haha... he doesn’t care :lol:, if they are so curious they should ask the couple not him) followed by lack of chemistry... totally loved how he turned the table and asked them the question ’Did you really not feel any chemistry?hahaha.... smart boy, he knows them too well). ^_^

As we all know how he is respectful to the core, he answered all questions regarding SHK and drama’s cast and crew very respectfully and that’s why I’m so proud. He will even try to bring himself down but will never do it to others, be it his seniors or juniors. 

Lastly about his acting... yes Bogum that’s how you should approach it. Be humble, receive the criticism with open mind and work on your weaknesses and do your next project better. You weren’t perfect but you made everyone root for Jinhyuk, his happiness and love. That’s all that matters for now.

Also about the impending military service, it will happen eventually, I’m just so thankful that BoGum is not like some actors obsessed with fame and popularity. I just hope he will leave something behind when his time comes to go.

I laughed a lot when he said he resembles mango... soft outside but hard inside. Bogummy, you may think you are like a mango but to me you are a cinammon roll, you don’t have even 0.0001% negativity, maliciousness inside you. Sometimes I wish you were a little selfish but I guess then you wouldn’t be the Park Bogum that I come to love, praise and support. :wub:

@mellinadear thanks a lot for sharing his interviews here. @gumtaek you have worked hard, thanks. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3