Park Bo Gum 박보검 ♥ 朴寶劍 ♥ パク・ボゴム | Upcoming Drama 2024: When Life Gives You Tangerines | Upcoming Drama 2024: Good Boy

autumnight

2 hours ago, onlysb1 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

[Interview] Park Bo Gum “wants to become an actor whom others want to work with again”

tumblr_ofu7p1BemI1qaf5qqo1_500.jpg

Nowadays, regardless of age, there is one actor that the people of South Korea all love. Like the clear autumn sky without any clouds, he laughs brightly and and is unable to hide a heartwarming smile.

The main character is actor Park Bo Gum (23). It would not be an exaggeration to say that 2016 is Park Bo Gum’s year. In the first half of the year, he acted in tvN drama ‘Reply 1988’ as quiet, mysterious Baduk player Choi Taek and received much love from viewers. In the second half of the year through the KBS drama ‘Moonlight Drawn by Clouds’, he successfully transformed into Crown Prince Lee Yeong and caused the ‘Park Bo Gum syndrome’.

In ‘Moonlight Drawn by Clouds’, the Crown Prince of the nation Lee Yeong and a male-disguised eunuch Hong Ra On who enters the palace, fall in love and an unpredictable palace romance is painted out.

The first broadcast of ‘Moonlight Drawn by Clouds’ recorded viewership ratings of 8.3% and was the lowest among the 3 free-to-air Monday-Tuesday dramas. People voiced their concern that ‘Park Bo Gum was also unable to break the Reply curse’. But with steady growth and solid acting skills, he earned the nickname ‘ending fairy’ and the last episode recorded ratings of 22.9%, Yoo Jung’s beauty also played a part in the job well done.

Through this project with just his eyes and facial expressions alone, he received rave reviews as an actor but felt that he was still lacking in many areas. Nevertheless, ‘Moonlight Drawn by Clouds’ received a lot of love from viewers and the actor said his thanks and showed humility.

On the 27th, in a quiet cafe in Samcheong-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul, <Today News> met him (Park Bo Gum), who has been receiving a lot of love since his debut, for an honest talk.

tumblr_ofu7p1BemI1qaf5qqo2_500.jpg

Q. Drama ‘Moonlight Drawn by Clouds’ was the first sageuk you challenged. Did you feel pressured?

I really wanted to try a sageuk so because of that I did not feel there was a burden initially. If not for this sageuk I would not have the chance to try on beautiful hanboks, so I thought I had a really happy and fun time shooting ‘Moonlight Drawn by Clouds’. However, the Crown Prince Lee Yeong was difficult to understand and express as a character. ‘Moonlight Drawn by Clouds’ comprises of many seniors, Yoo Jung, Jin Young hyung, Dong Yeon, Soo Bin and the staff, like an Avengers team with many good people working together. However, the burden also increased and my shoulders felt heavy. Actually, at the script reading I was not fully aware of the character Lee Yeong. The director and writer had confidence in me understanding Yeong’s mind as time passes. So during the casting shoot, I was uncertain about ‘How can I digest the role of Lee Yeong well’ and ‘I wonder if I am doing well’.

Q. While shooting, which scene did you feel was the most difficult?

In the side chamber/palace hall, the scenes opposite the ministers and officials. It was a rare opportunity to use lines related to politics, so there were a lot of terms and words which I was not familiar with. But because the seniors’ acting far exceeded what was described in the script, so my emotions were drawn out/expressed well and we were able to complete filming successfully.

Q. Crown Prince Lee Yeong’s romance, politics, etc. There are many different aspects to be shown by one person. Depending on the situation, it must not be easy to express a change in emotions.

Firstly, thank you for finding out. In the beginning, it took a lot of effort for me to better represent the flow of emotions. I studied the script intensively in order to portray emotions that fit the situation. If there was any part I missed out on, the director helped me to imagine, understand and express them better.

Q. In the scene where Crown Prince Lee Yeong grabs the knife clenched in Hong Ra On’s hand and cut off the bracelet, many viewers shed tears. What kind of feelings did you have at that time?

I was thinking that ‘now is really the end (with Ra On)’. Looking at Ra On trying to push me away, it hurt my heart and I felt regretful.

Q. While doing this project, you felt that you were lacking a lot. What points were unsatisfactory for you?

The sageuk has a good foundation, I wanted Lee Yeong to act as a supplement. I wish I had more time to be worried about being a good actor in charge. Viewers may not have realized this, but when I saw some parts I felt disappointed at not being able to better express my emotions richly and robustly.

Q. In a recent interview with the media, Kim Yoo Jung mentioned that if she could work with you in another project, she hopes that she will be in the upper class, and Park Bo Gum could be a corner store boy (son of corner store owner).

(Laughs) If there is such a witty and lively project, I want to try it no matter what. I hope that I have the chance to work with the Moonlight Drawn by Clouds actors again.

Q. After playing Lee Yeong for such a long time, it must not be easy to get out of character.

I think I have gotten out of the character Lee Yeong. But because of Lee Yeong I learnt a lot while acting, so I will cherish it in my heart for a long long time and not forget it.

tumblr_ofu7p1BemI1qaf5qqo3_1280.jpg

Q. You reportedly learnt to play the geomungo for the drama. But it did not appear in the actual broadcast.

The writers were also very disappointed. Originally there was a scene where I could play the geomungo, but in the end there wasn’t enough time so the situation didn’t allow for it. Many people would feel regretful about missing that part. Nevertheless, in the title sequence it was showed albeit slightly, so I still feel quite happy. Before the start of the drama, I learnt many things. Afterwards they become part of my talent, so I feel really grateful.

Q. How are your geomungo playing skills.

I can play ‘Butterfly’, ‘Plane’ and ‘Arirang’ (laughs). I practiced the most for ‘Butterfly’ and ‘Airplane’, unfortunately I have no opportunities to show everyone so far, but it was good to have the opportunity to learn South Korean traditional instruments.

Q. The adlib gukbap rascal (rice soup rascal) received a good response from viewers. Were there any other fun adlibs?

When lifting Sam Nom, the line ‘Stretch out your arm’ was also an adlib. Surprisingly, Yoo Jung responds with her own adlib ‘You have to lift me up higher’ so I thought ‘she’s not called an acting senior in vain’.

Q. You appeared wearing a variety of outfits, such as cheollik, gonryongpo (dragon robe) and gatdopo. Which costume is the most memorable?

Everything was good. Actually it is a rare opportunity to be able to wear such beautiful hanboks through the drama, it feels like shooting a pictorial. I am thankful to the director for his directing and designer for creating such beautiful hanboks. For me I love all the costumes without any exception.

Q. The teaser ‘Boombastic’ became a widely discussed topic. Did you know about it?

I knew. For the first teaser video, I watched senior Kang Dong Won in ‘A Violent Prosecutor’ for inspiration. I practised a lot at home watching the video (laughs). I felt a little shy about dancing at the National Palace of Korea wearing the Crown Prince robes. I am thankful that many people have showed a lot of interest in the Boombastic video.

Q. KBS has plans to adapt ‘Moonlight Drawn by Clouds’ into a musical. Don’t you want to try challenging the role of Crown Prince Lee Yeong in a musical?

I have thought about challenging this. Initially, I wanted to give it a try. Now I just want to be remembered by people as Lee Yeong from the drama.

tumblr_ofu7p1BemI1qaf5qqo4_500.jpg

Q. All this while, you have had a busy shooting schedule. Did you take a break after the finale?

I went on an incentive trip to Cebu, Philippines. Actually, the only places where I can fully rest are above the sea and in the sea (laughs). In fact I haven’t done any activities in Cebu, Philippines before but I found it amazing when the locals recognized me. It turns out that ‘Moonlight Drawn by Clouds’ aired through the channel KBS World and many people also watch Music Bank.

Q. Your fans’ age group has widened from 10 to 40 years old. Do you recognize how popular you are?

I think it is really amazing and I am thankful that the fans who love me have such diverse ages. Sometimes I half-jokingly and half-seriously tell them to put their families first over me. Actors are able to work happily thanks to everyone’s support, it provides a driving force for them. It is thanks to the support and love from the fans, that I am able to work happily.

Q. Usually your image is one that is kind and upright. Have you ever gotten angry with other people?

I have. I have been (angry before). But I don’t really remember when (laughs). It is not easy for me to get stressed out.

Q. Was there anything rebellious that you did recently?

During the incentive trip to Cebu, Dong Yeon and I went to eat local food without telling our guide, it was the most rebellious thing I did. Since we traveled so far, it would be disappointing to eat only Korean food so we went to try local food nearby and it was memorable to try eating liver.

Q. Because of your kind image, you have nicknames like Eat Bo Gum, Joyful Bo Gum, Thankful Bot, Bo Gum Ministry, Bogum Magic, etc. Which is your favourite amongst these?

I like them all. I like eating and I think I am always in high spirits, so they all seem to fit me well. Especially Bogum Magic because it means that someone was touched because of me and changed, I think it feels good. I am thankful to Defconn hyung who made this beautiful neology.

Q. Surely you will sometimes feel frustrated or burdened by this image.

I have always lived this way for 24 years, and I have no complaints or stress about doing so in future.

tumblr_ofu7p1BemI1qaf5qqo5_500.jpg

Q. When you work, you may face hard/difficult times. How do you overcome them?

I call my family a lot. When I feel very hot or very tired, I will call my father and he will say ‘This is what you wanted to do. Since you wanted it so much, shouldn’t you do it happily and with thankful feelings’. After that, I would think ‘Yes, I’m blessed. I accomplished my dream’ and this makes me happy.

Q. When you are 24 years old, it is the time to dream about love. Do you want to date?

I want to. Actually, it feels like I dated the character Ra On in the drama. Just looking at the script itself, there are many scenes which make my heart flutter. On set, what I see is not the script, but I listen to her real voice, see her expressions and look at her eyes, so the character Ra On made my heart flutter. I unknowingly reached out to touch her face and liked her.

Q. What are your plans in the future?

After all of the interviews have finished, I am expected to leave next week for a pictorial shooting overseas. Also if I have the time, I want to meet both domestic and international fans. I have not decided on my next project so far.

Q. Finally, what sort of actor would Park Bo Gum like to become in the future?

I would like to hear words like ‘I want to work with the actor Park Bo Gum again in future’ from the staff whom I have worked with before. I want to meet the staff who took good care of me. I want to become an actor whom people want to work with again.

Source: Today News

Credits https://parisonheavens.wordpress.com/

@parisonheaven. I hope you don't mind, thank you for your translation. ^^ 

Thank you very much for the link to some more interviews. @sara2908Thank you for posting more interviews too.

The more I read Park Bo Gum's (also Kim Yoo Jung's and others) interviews, I could felt more heavy responsibility on Park Bo Gum's shoulder. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, sara2908 said:

CwAiE2LVMAAcEgg.png

Bogummy one year ago on Mubank. 

Cv_hY9BUAAARCj5.jpg

His old K fans must have missed the time where they could approach him without any barriers as of now. What a change in a year after Bogum popularity exploded.

Bo Gum in the picture  give me a villain vampire feel........ 

• Like 4

@sara2908, thanks for the updates. Finally, we got to see Bogum's pics after one and half day drought, i think? He looks good in that black suit but yeah, he has lost weight so much. I hope he'll gain some weight during his overseas trip this time. Not too much in camera flash during his trip will help him a lot. He deserves a well rest and break. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Michelle JG said:

I read an article from Naver , an actress named Han Chae Young mentioned she wishes to act with Park Bo Gum in her next project while she  was interviewed in MBC Section TV. The article just posted 30 mins ago. Hot from the Oven. 

I think Soompi will translate and post soon. 

Oh, Han Chae Yong!  I know her. She was the actress who played Chun Hyang... one of the earlier dramas that I cherished. She used to be called South Korean Barbie or something.

han-chae-young-e1446556932966-759x432.jp

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Michelle JG said:

I read an article from Naver , an actress named Han Chae Young mentioned she wishes to act with Park Bo Gum in her next project while she  was interviewed in MBC Section TV. The article just posted 30 mins ago. Hot from the Oven. 

I think Soompi will translate and post soon. 

This is the video when Han Chae Young said she wishes to act with bogum ( around minute 1:17 )

• Like 11

57 minutes ago, in00022 said:

This is the video when Han Chae Young said she wishes to act with bogum ( around minute 1:17 )

Thanks for sharing the video here. The way she mentioned Bo Gum name is so adorable. Her laughter too. 

She used to be called South Korean Barbie or something.  

@tiendoank  i agree that she looks like a doll. pretty

• Like 5

MOONLIGHT DRAWN BY CLOUDS FASHION: CROWN PRINCE LEE YEONGSeptember 10, 2016

image_3670681301472615612654

Moonlight Drawn by Clouds not only have stellar casts, cinematography, music direction and screenplay, but also an awesome fashion designer / stylist backing up this show. Never have my eyes been so at ease with the choice and the colours of hanbok chosen for each characters in a sageuk. This is definitely the first. Park Bo Gum has worn many hanbok for the past episodes, and each of them fits him perfectly. He’s handsome and gorgeous in the Crown Prince robe, but I actually love it most when he’s in normal hanbok wear. Let’s take a look at the Crown Prince’s wardobe.

https://eukybearlovesdrama.wordpress.com/2016/09/10/moonlight-drawn-by-clouds-fashion-crown-prince-lee-yeong/ 

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, Michelle JG said:

Thanks for sharing the video here. The way she mentioned Bo Gum name is so adorable. Her laughter too.

*sorry to cut your post*

hahahahahhah ....yeah ..... she looks so shy when she said "Park Bogum" name :D hopefully her wish comes true ... maybe she play as his noona in drama .....^_^

• Like 2