Park Bo Gum 박보검 ♥ 朴寶劍 ♥ パク・ボゴム | Upcoming Drama 2024: When Life Gives You Tangerines | Upcoming Drama 2024: Good Boy

autumnight

MY REACTIONS: I dont know why they dont want Netflix. This also happened to Encounter. CJ Entertainment owned the rights of the drama so until now it has not been forwarded to Netflix. 

I dont use TVing. I cant access it but I will try. I dont know the reason of this. Wonderland film has a better plan, for me, than Seobok. Wonderland will be released thru Netflix but Korea and China will be in theatres. 

But this is a big corporation so of course they planned it better than what i was thinking. I think CJ ENM wants to expand to OTT thru TVing and eventually becomes a rival of Netflix.  :P

<Seobok> Simultaneous release at TVING and theater on April 15

Screenshot-2021-0303-102230.jpg

The movie <Seobok> (director: Yong-ju Lee), which gathered a lot of attention due to the meeting of actor Gong Yoo and Park Bo-gum, will be released on April 15th. It will be released as the original content of TVING, an online video service (OTT), and will be released at the theater to meet more audiences.

http://www.sisa-news.com/mobile/article.html?no=149138

:crazymad:

:crazily:

The reason why Gong Yoo X Park Bo-gum's 'Seobok' chose the theater and TVing at the same time.

The blockbuster film "Seobok," starring actors Gong Yoo and Park Bo-gum, will be released at the same time in theaters and video streaming services (OTT). 

Although "Time of Hunting" and "Seungriho" have gone straight to Netflix, it is actually the first time that the theater and OTT have been released at the same time. 

It is predicted that the reorganization of the video industry, which is rapidly gaining momentum in the wake of the spread of the novel coronavirus infection (Corona 19), will accelerate further.

A desperate measure worth 16 billion won.

Film investment distributor CJ ENM Film Business Headquarters and production company Studio 101 announced on the 3rd that they will show "Seobok" at the same time at the theater and OTT TVing on the 15th of next month. TVing is a subsidiary of CJ ENM.

"Seobok" is an expected production of Chungmuro, which cost KRW 16.5 billion. The film is directed by Lee Yong-joo, who has attracted 4.11 million viewers through "Architecture 101" (2012). 

It depicts what happens when Seobok (Park Bo-gum), the first human clone of mankind, and Ki-heon (Kong Yoo), an intelligence agent who moved him to the top secret, faced an unexpected situation. 

While trying to release theaters at the end of last year, the number of confirmed Covid - 19 people increased rapidly, and the release was postponed indefinitely. 

Rumors were rampant in the film industry that the theater would go straight to OTT as the release of the movie was delayed. CJ ENM Film Business Headquarters explained in a press release that "Seobok"

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/469/0000585026

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

On the slice of life genre and my top three slices of life K-dramas

What is the slice of life genre?

A lot of Korean drama viewers may be familiar with this term, but for those who are not, a slice of life means “realistic representation of everyday experience in a movie, play, or book.” As a genre, it depicts naturalism or relatability to everyday life.

Viewers may not necessarily be going through the same exact situation depicted in the movie or book, but the recurring themes of friendship and family, the struggles of everyday life, as well as the stark portrayal of our enduring human nature is what makes this genre very beautiful and very appealing to a lot of people.

The slice of life genre is a prevalent recurring theme in a lot of K-dramas. Varying from hospital to office and even school dramas, the K-drama land has perfected the recipe on how to make the best slice of life dramas.

The base and most important ingredient in slice-of-life genres is the casting. A good ensemble not only means the actor and actresses must accurately portray their characters to the best of their ability, but they must also develop a good rapport with the whole cast and their characters to produce a seamless and tight woven drama that will leave the audience yearning for more.

The second equally important factor is the plot. The everyday issues and struggles the character(s) must go through is what makes a K-drama fall under the slice of life genre. The main plot does not necessarily have to relatable to everyone, such as life in prison in Prison Playbook or life as a surgeon in Hospital Playlist, but it is the human interaction and everyday struggles that essentially counts. In a way, this factor is what makes or breaks the whole drama.

Finally, to top it off, insert (in all the right moments) a heartwarming soundtrack. This is bound to captivate not only the attention of the viewers but all of their emotions as well. If you have watched any of the three dramas I will further discuss in this blog, you are bound to remember the emotional and nostalgic songs, Youth by Kim Feel and Chang Wan Kim, or Hyehwadong (or Ssangmundong) by Park Boram from Reply 1988 as well as the intro rap song OK by BewhY with Gray and Bravo, My Life by Eric Nam from the Prison Playbook. There is also the phenomenal rock performance of the Canon by the Mido and Falasol band in the Hospital Playlist.

As common as it may sound to make a slice of life K-drama, no one else can pull it off as perfectly as the director Shin Won Ho and writer Lee Woo Jeong, the brilliant brains behind Reply 1988, Prison Playbook, and the Hospital Playlist, my top three K-dramas in the slice of life genre.

(Director Shin Won Ho and writer Lee Woo Jeong also worked together on Reply 1994 and Reply 1997 and co-worked with writer Jung Bo Hoon in Prison Playbook.)

Reply 1988 (2015) | 20 episodes

Spoiler

5.jpg?resize=428,606&is-pending-load=1#0

Plot: Set in the nostalgic period of the 1980s, this drama revolves around the lives of the five friends and their families who lived in the neighborhood of Ssangmun-dong.

The Slice of Life: If there is one word to describe this drama, it would be: nostalgia. I was not born in the 1980s and definitely not as a Korean citizen. I did not experience the exact same things the Ssangmun-dong gang did, but it made me reminisce and remember my own childhood and growing up years. The years I would hang out with my friends to play on the streets, the times when I would run away from my household chores, and the only concern I had in life was how to tell my parents I got a poor grade in Mathematics and Science. I think this only goes on to show that despite the differences in our culture and time period, there are universal experiences we are all undergoing and relate to as human beings.

Another beauty of this drama is that you can take your pick on who you relate to the most among the Ssangmun-dong gang. You can either relate to Jung Hwan’s rich kid problems or to Sun Woo’s responsibilities as the family’s breadwinner. Personally, since I came from a big family with four older sisters, I related with Sun Deok Sun (played by Lee Hye Ri) the most. It made me laugh that the culture of hand-me-down clothes and shoes doesn’t only exist in the Philippines and her love/ hate relationship with her older sister is just all too real and relatable. I probably fought over the same things as room sharing issues with my own sisters as she did with Bo Ra. Her struggles as the middle-overlooked child also hit home, being a middle child myself.

Overall, family issues such as ordinary sibling rivalry (minus all the political and rich power struggle), complex child-parent relationship, and the notion of best friends for life portrayed in this drama is what makes Reply 1988 fall under the slice of life genre. A beautiful must watch (if you have not) and always one for the books, no matter what you’re going through in life. However, a word of caution: this drama will surely make you cry and laugh until you are rolling on the floor, will make you love the Ssangmun-dong gang (ultimate squad goals), and will give you a heavy dose of second male lead syndrome!

My favorite line: “In some ways, one’s own family is the most oblivious. But… what is so important about knowing? In the end, what helps you overcome obstacles is not brains, but someone who will take your hand and never let you go. In the end, that’s family. Even for heroes, the people they go back to, in the end, is family.” – Sun Deok Sun, Reply 1988

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : https://annyeongoppa.com/2021/03/01/on-the-slice-of-life-genre-and-my-top-three-slices-of-life-k-dramas/

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

@gumtaek, @Sakurafairy, @BogumNoona, thank you for the info on Seobok's showing. do you know if TVing is available in the Philippines? up to now, there is still no definite decision if the theaters will already be allowed to open although it is suggested already.

@willenette, "slice of life" genre is my favorite though i also watch other KDrama genres. up to now, despite the many, many (i lost count already) Kdramas i've watched, nothing beats "Reply 1988". it is still my #1 Kdrama of all times.

by the way, there will be a local adaptation of "Encounter" to be shown in one of our local TV channels soon (i originally wrote beginning March 8, saw the ad again last night and it says "Coming Soon", apology for the mistake). this TV station also aired "Reply 1988" dubbed in our native language.    

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Sorry I am jumping in late in this topic, but I had to have an outlet for my fangirling over Park Bo Gum.  Reply 1988 got me interested in him, Moonlight Drawn By Clouds aka Love in the Moonlight made me swoon but life happens and I watch Record of Youth in Netflix and bam!  It all came flooding back - why he is so awesome!  So I went back and found Encounter.  I kick myself for not having watched it sooner.  Now with both ROY and Encounter on my brain, can't get enough of him.  2022 seems so far away...but the 1st quarter of 2021 is near to the end, he's got a couple of movies that we can look forward to...can't wait until he returns so we can see him grow further - as an actor and in life!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

welcome to the thread @J-Pooh. just like you, i was bitten by the Bo Gum bug while watching "Reply 1988".   if you have the time, read this thread from Page 1 and you will appreciate Bo Gum even more. we are all eagerly waiting for his return and excited as to the projects he will take on after his military service.  :hooray2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

in relation to @gumtaek's post on wishes for Bo Gum to play the male lead role in "Princess Hours", i would like to ask our dear chinggus this question :

among the KDramas you have watched so far, which role do you wish Bo Gum to take on? why?

have a good day chinggus! looking forward to your replies.   :grin:

• Like 2

@Rom828 - After seeing PBG in Record of Youth as a baddie (thug-like one), would like to see him play something like the "the Doctor's Son" in Heartless City.  I thought Jung Kyung-ho was great in it, but PBG can take it to the next level.  But rather than dramas, would love for him to explore movies.  He expressed a desire to be in Hollywood - I agree, his big eyes can charm the western world too!!  Not a superhero movie, something with grit would be nice - so he can show off his acting chops.  He's not just a pretty face after all!

• Like 3

Get To Know The Korean Celebrities Who Have A 'National' Title

Probably one of the highest honors that a Korean celebrity can get is the title of being a "Nation's ______." Receiving such high regard means that as a celebrity, you have reached the peak of getting public love and interest.

We have compiled some of the celebrities whom you might not have known to have received the title.

#5 Park Bo Gum

This South Korean Oppa doesn't only have only one but three titles! For his mesmerizing charms and high-class image, Park Bo Gum is dubbed as the "Nation's Boyfriend," "Nation's Crown Prince, " and "Nation's Man of Good Influence."

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : KoreaPortal

http://en.koreaportal.com/articles/48293/20210304/get-to-know-the-korean-celebrities-who-have-a-national-title.htm

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

well said @J-Pooh. Bo Gum can take just about any role to a new level.  he is someone who really prepares and studies the roles he take on. add to that, he has an amazing acting skill and a face that can launch so many different expressions. isn't he called the "king of micro expressions"? even the slight twitch of his eyebrow can add depth to the scene he is acting on. and his eyes, especially when he is angry, the shape of his eyes changes and you can really feel the intense emotion. 

as for me, i would like him to play the role of Ji Sung in "Kill Me, Heal Me", one that has dissociative identity disorder (DID) and has 5 split-personalities; the role of Lee Byung Hun in "Mr Sunshine" ; and the role of Ahn Hyo Seop in "Romantic Dr Teacher Kim".  it is actually my wish that if ever "Romantic Dr Teacher Kim" will have a part 3, Bo Gum will play the other doctor alongside Dr Kim.  i know most of us wanted to see him play a doctor role especially after seeing him wear that scrub suit in "Record of Youth".  :approves:

• Like 2

Welcome to the thread  @J-Pooh

I agree with you. As I said earlier on this page  I really want for him to venture on noir type movies or dramas. Gong Yoo mentioned before that he being a villain will be an excellent chance for him to showcase more his acting prowess. 

Yup,  super agree,  he isn't just another handsome face. He really has that great acting skills. Try to watch Hello Monster and you will fall in love more to his acting.

@Rom828 I love that drama Kill Me, Heal Me. Bogum will be great in that kind of role.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

@Rom828 Bogummy as ML in Kill Me Heal Me will be killing me! Oh dear, you planted that idea in my mind :D

Imagine him wearing pink skirt and pink hairband running along the road chasing every handsome oppa, andweeee!!

• Like 3

happy Monday chinggus! found this article while looking for something to post here . a bit long but it's worth the read. enjoy! :glee:

Park Bo-gum (The Prince of ‘Love in the Moonlight’) // Review

There are actors who build up a grand body of work and you cannot help but acknowledge their brilliance. There are others who make an immediate impression with their powerful good looks and manage to hold the interest with competent performances. And then, there are those rare actors who surreptitiously grow on you and steal your heart, without you even realising it full well. Ever since, I watched Park Bo-gum play the Josean prince, Lee Yeong, in the well-crafted, romantic/ action drama, Love in the Moonlight… I have been mulling about that last category.

How did a fresh-faced, disdainful, even delinquent lad transform into a magnificent, heroic figure so seamlessly ? How did a wayward, boyish prince don the mantle of a regal king, in such an easy, flawless manner? When did the transition actually happen? When did the charm catch me so unawares that I found myself totally mesmerised by Prince Lee Yeong?

As much as I appreciated the story, lavish production, music and, the excellent performances in Love in the Moonlight, I kept waiting for that one face who would light up the screen, with blinding brilliance, each time he appeared. Park Bo-gum just shines and dazzles as Lee Yeong. He inhabits and animates the character of the prince with utter, consummate perfection.

4c419c5fa17788c930fbddab4dc73ad9 (1)

Is there any another actor who has eyes that twinkle more? Bo-gum‘s black, black eyes simply gleam with an inner radiance. When he smiles, his eyes beam and glitter… as if illuminated by a secret flame. He holds unshed tears in them or anger that is masterfully controlled. He can convey hurt, vulnerability, tenderness… as well as strength, determination, passion just by a subtle motion, an artful flicker or an impish gleam. It helps that the young actor has a smile that is equally dazzling and can launch quite a few thousand ships.

There is handsomeness and talent aplenty on Korean screens, men who look elegant and stylish and ooze gorgeousness, men who are lean, mean and can flaunt their fighting skills with stunning dexterity and, men who act and express excellently. Lee Min-ho, Gong Yoo, Ji- Chang-wook, Oh Ji-ho, Jo In-Sung etc. are some of the celebrated actors, who come immediately to mind. Bo-gum, by comparison, may not be the one who strikes at once, when he appears on screen… but his stature keeps growing, inch by uncanny inch, till he seems to tower fantastically and, you begin to fiercely and passionately root for him.

There is a scene in Love in the Moonlight, where the young prince kneels before the king and the royal court, almost hugging the ground, weeping and, confessing his weakness and flaws… questioning his own ability to shoulder royal responsibilities… and then, very subtly… his posture straightens, his face hardens and, his eyes acquire a deep confidence. Lee Yeong smiles to himself and states simply and clearly that despite all that, he sees no reason why he should not be crowned the king. It is an impressive scene… that reveals the hidden strengths of a prince who is surrounded by foes and must play his hand right in order to triumph. The scene also shows a glimpse of Park Bo-gum‘s chameleon acting abilities, his power to transform without one superficial gesture.

My exposure to Korean cinema may be limited but after watching this young actor, I have a feeling that Park Bo-gum may have one of the most emotive faces that I have ever seen. His appearance is startlingly youthful but he is able to successfully demonstrate maturity and majesty as Lee Yeong. His poise and understanding are in full display, especially in those moments when he is caught perilously in an inner crisis.

Lee Yeong is attracted to the beautiful eunuch, Hong Som-nom, and cares for him deeply, without knowing that the attendant is actually a girl in disguise. He desperately struggles against his emotions but accepts his own apparently dubious sexuality and doomed future, with a degree of calm and decisiveness that is both exciting and extraordinary.

The sheer courage of the king-to-be is beautiful to behold. So is Bo-gum‘s skill in turning a dicey character trait into a breathtakingly beautiful romantic possibility.

His sharp, clear, almost glass-like features add a certain brittleness to him… a vulnerability… as if he can shatter under all the burdens and yearnings. Bo-gum also possesses a palpable softness that does not quite go away, even when he’s displaying rage. This may be the reason why the prince comes across as precious, even someone to be protected. His emotions seem to spring from a place so deep, unfeigned and heartfelt, that he seems quite otherworldly. And, you cannot help but feel moved by him.

Therefore, when Bo-gum as the prince, draws upon some hidden source of  determination and fearlessness to fight battles and safeguard his lover… without a moment’s hesitation and despite having no hope of a happily ever after… it becomes an act of great poignancy and heroism.

Prince Lee Yeong decides to love the eunuch, albeit a most lovely one, even when he is not aware of his real identity, even when he knows that it would lead to heartbreak and loss. For a little while, he imagines Hong Sam-nom as the elusive female dancer who had made a deep impression on him. But, he recognises the fact that he will follow his heart, no matter where it may lead.

The moment, the prince realises that Hong Sam-nom is actually a girl, his stunningly expressive face reflects all his conflicted feelings… from bewilderment and wonder to acceptance and joy. It is wonderful to watch the young actor perform with just his eyes and face, without moving an inch.

Lee Yeong realises that the force of true love can make miracles happen. That faith grants him the greatest strength. He is determined to protect his love, the way he could not protect his mother perhaps. And you witness, a true coming of age… when a boy becomes a man, and a prince ascends a metaphorical throne.

The main plot of Love in the Moonlight is reminiscent of some of my favourite Shakespearean romantic comedies ever, like As you Like It and The Twelfth Night. In the latter play, Viola, a beautiful noblewoman, is forced to disguise herself as a young man, in order to escape certain unfortunate circumstances. She calls herself Cesario and serves the Duke of Illyria, Orsino, and falls desperately in love with him. Later, when her identity is revealed, Duke Orsino realises that Viola‘s professions of love and loyalty had a deeper meaning. Her love was not only for the master but also for the man. Orsino also realises why he had developed such a fondness for Cesario before. Because of course, she was a woman… and her beauty and femininity were discernible, despite the pretense.

It is fascinating to watch, therefore, a very similar tale unfold in Love in the Moonlight. The dreamy Kim Yoo-jung is Ra-on, the young girl, who pretends to be a boy. She ends up as the attendant of the crown prince, Lee Yeong, and after a series of twists and turns in the story, she is forced to face her own feelings for her master and lover. However, unlike in The Twelfth Night, the emphasis here is more on how Lee Yeong handles his growing attraction for the young page and his struggle to fight for his love in the middle of all the palace intrigues and the violence that threatens him. Ra-on like Viola has her own struggles but the stakes are much higher for the young prince.

42d50c97e60aaf2a8d29fe55d85034be

I could comment on the subsidiary plots and supporting characters in Love in the Moonlight… how they are interesting and relevant and make the drama worth watching. I could single out Kwak Dong-yeon for special praise. He plays Byung-yeon, the prince’s confidant, guard, and closest friend…. and, deserves his own spin off, because of the fascinating way he portrays the utterly mysterious, noble and tough Byung-yeon. I could devote a few paragraphs to the beautiful background score that creates and enhances the mood perfectly. All that would, however, make my piece a bit more unwieldy.

Here, I want to restrict my thoughts to the beguiling main plot that uses Shakespeare’s favourite plot device. A girl masquerading as a woman to infiltrate a man’s world and manipulate her own future. Things do not go strictly according to Ra-on‘s plans, however, and she finds herself caught between love and self-preservation, longing and danger. Fortunately, her lover is not remotely as passive as Shakespeare’s Orlando or Orsino… 

Prince Lee Yeong, singlehandedly manages to manoeuvre many situations just to ensure that the charming, mischievous fellow, who has piqued his interest, will be employed close to him. He offers Sam-nom both friendship and protection. Despite his royal status, the prince never hesitates to display his gentle regard for the lowly eunuch and wins his trust. When he feels something deeper stirring in his heart for the doe-eyed Sam-nom, he does not back down. Instead, he attempts to pursue the truth in order to understand and delve into his own psyche… The prince valiantly scoffs at rumours pertaining to his sexuality and, even has the dauntlessness to admit that he wants Sam-nom and will claim him, no matter what the cost.

Later, when Lee Yeong discovers the true identity of his lover, he is over the moon with relief and joy but keeps her secret, waiting patiently for her to reveal herself. He only confesses his knowledge to Ra-on when he realises that his silence has caused her unhappiness. So, he tells her that he has only loved one person in his life and that the beautiful woman in front of him, is the one… and, promises her that he will treat her as the most precious person on earth, if only she allows him to do that.

Prince Lee Yeong whispers her name… Ra-onna, Ra-onna… over and over again, whenever he can find a few quiet moments with the angelic Ra-on…. as if he cannot quite comprehend his good fortune… as if he cannot believe that finally she is his to love and cherish.

The believability and allure of this romantic tale lies primarily with the two attractive and talented leads… Kim Yoo-jung and Park Bo-gum. Both bring a lot of vitality and beauty to the story and their chemistry is definitely winsome.

However, if there is one aspect that makes Love in the Moonlight unforgettable for me, it is the astonishingly gifted Park Bo-gum. He has the ability to alternate between an almost feminine gentleness and masculine assertiveness… He can portray a world of emotions through his expressive countenance alone. His eyes can emit light and earnestness, sorrow and adoration…. and, his bright, incandescent, child-like smile can draw you in and compel you to break into a smile as well. Park Bo-gum can make you believe in love and fairytales.

5124dc3f8225267545d1de0d3993d722

• Like 1
  • Awesome 3