Park Bo Gum 박보검 ♥ 朴寶劍 ♥ パク・ボゴム | Upcoming Drama 2024: When Life Gives You Tangerines | Upcoming Drama 2024: Good Boy

autumnight

23 hours ago, gumtaek said:

@rahma92

Park Bo gum has secured his Hallyu Status with his two successive hits Reply 1988 ( There's a baduk craze in Turkey because of Choi Taek in Reply 1988) and more so with Moonlight Drawn by the Clouds. While it's true that the latter didn't have the same rating level as the dramas you mentioned, it is considered both as a domestic and international hit (cr: wikipedia). Otherwise, how will one explain the "Park Bogum craze" in the Asian countries where he had fanmeetings? Hallyu Wave refers to an impressive  international following and we can safely conclude that he has it in Asia. However, he has a following, too, in South America, Europe and Oceania based on fancams of people in Cuba, in Chile, in Germany, in Australia, etc. 

For Bo Gum to win Best Actor for a Hallyu Drama in the 2017 Seoul Drama Awards which is an international drama awards ceremony and for him to be given recognition by the Ministry of Tourism for his Hallyu contribution clearly attest to his Korean Wave status.

One thing I am very proud about Bo Gum's drama choices aside from these being ratings hits is that they are also critically acclaimed. It may not may everyone's genre but we can consider them as classic, quality dramas. 

Its true PBG have two hits drama, but its actually not that big in hallyu (its good that moonlight is so big in japan). And I know its weird but I felt that PBG's name is bigger than all his drama  :sweatingbullets: He choose a good drama who make people recognized him. Example like how Lee Hyori didnt know that PBG sing his own drama soundtrack. I bet she didnt watched his drama, but sure she really want to meet him and realized that how big his name. She like him even without watching his drama.
What more amazing he's upgrade his popularity in japan even without drama for two years. How? this is the reason.
zKxoVgq.gif

And yes Reply 1988 is still my fav drama ever. Lovely bogum :wub: 
kbzMy5H.gif

• Love 1
  • Insightful 1

16 hours ago, rahma92 said:

Its true PBG have two hits drama, but its actually not that big in hallyu (its good that moonlight is so big in japan). And I know its weird but I felt that PBG's name is bigger than all his drama  :sweatingbullets: He choose a good drama who make people recognized him. Example like how Lee Hyori didnt know that PBG sing his own drama soundtrack. I bet she didnt watched his drama, but sure she really want to meet him and realized that how big his name. She like him even without watching his drama.
What more amazing he's upgrade his popularity in japan even without drama for two years. How? this is the reason.

Since I became a fan toward the tail-end of Reply 1988 and was closely following him when he took on Moonlight Drawn by the Clouds, I saw from his 2017 fan meetings that Moonlight Drawn by the Clouds was wildly popular not only in Japan (although I have to admit that in terms of airing, MDBC has been aired in Japan more than any country, even SK.), but also in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and popular in Taiwan, Singapore and Hongkong. I have a few videos---I didn't get to save all---of the pandemonium he caused in these Asian countries. I remember in particular what happened when they had their reward vacation in Cebu, Philippines, where he didn't have a fan meet and he was totally shocked by the crowd that met him at the airport.

I am proud that both dramas were not only ratings hits but were also critically acclaimed:

Reply 1988 is the third installment of tvN's Reply series.[7] It received both critical and audience acclaim with its finale episode recording an 18.8% nationwide audience share, making it the second highest rated drama in Korean cable television history.[8][9] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_1988

A domestic and overseas hit, Moonlight achieved peak audience rating of 23.3% in South Korea and was praised for its production, performances and music.[1][2] It won Best Drama Series at the 22nd Asian Television Awards,[3] The series was met with praise by critics and audiences for its production, performances and music.[1][45][46] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_in_the_Moonlight

I really don't know why Hyori didn't know that he sang one of the OSTs of MDBC. We are deducing logically that she didn't watch the drama. However, our intelligent guess of her not watching the drama does not make the drama any less popular.:) As I would always say, sageuk drama may not be our preferred genre or the plot of a particular sageuk drama may not be to our liking, but several facts stand...the drama was a ratings hit which created a syndrome not only in SK (Moonlight Syndrome) but also in many Asian countries and that it is critically acclaimed. Not all Hallyu dramas receive this praise.

In 2018, when he ranked in the top 10 Forbes Power Celebrities in SK even without a project (He topped it in 2017, the first actor to do so), he, together with two in the list, were described by an article as "Steady Power Celebrities". He has been in the Top 10 GallUp Survey since 2016. How do we explain this phenomenon?

Park Bo Gum's insane popularity is a combination of two factors...his choice of projects---we cannot discount this---and his squeaky clean, positive, and bright image. There are several celebrities recognized for their wholesome image but are not as popular. Why? Because their drama or film projects were not ratings or box-office hits. There are several celebrities with very successful drama or film projects but whose private persona do not stand out or who have been involved in scandals, thus, public trust is low or public opinion is not favorable. 

For someone so young Park Bo Gum has achieved so much. I am happy with his achievements. I trust that he will continue to choose good projects---roles that inspire and has a good message to convey. My wish aside from his happiness and safety is that he leaves us with several good projects---dramas and films---before his military enlistment so that he will not be sorely missed.

P.S. I believe that his fame among kids, noonas, ajummas, eommas, and halmonis has to do with his wholesome and bright image. Of course, his exceptional looks and his good dramas/drama performance contribute to it, too.

P.S.S. It never ceases to amaze me how his fame rivals those of top kpop idols. The clincher for me was when an article came out saying that Hong Gil Dong, a common placeholder name in SK, similar to John Doe in the U.S. has been replaced by Park Bo Gum.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

Just now, gumtaek said:

Since I became a fan toward the tail-end of Reply 1988 and was closely following him when he took on Moonlight Drawn by the Clouds, I saw from his 2017 fan meetings that Moonlight Drawn by the Clouds was wildly popular not only in Japan (although I have to admit that in terms of airing, MDBC has been aired in Japan more than any country, even SK.), but also in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and popular in Taiwan, Singapore and Hongkong. I have a few videos---I didn't get to save all---of the pandemonium he caused in these Asian countries. I remember in particular what happened when they had their reward vacation in Cebu, Philippines, where he didn't have a fan meet and he was totally shocked by the crowd that met him at the airport.

I am proud that both dramas were not only ratings hits but were also critically acclaimed:

Reply 1988 is the third installment of tvN's Reply series.[7] It received both critical and audience acclaim with its finale episode recording an 18.8% nationwide audience share, making it the second highest rated drama in Korean cable television history.[8][9] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_1988

A domestic and overseas hit, Moonlight achieved peak audience rating of 23.3% in South Korea and was praised for its production, performances and music.[1][2] It won Best Drama Series at the 22nd Asian Television Awards,[3] The series was met with praise by critics and audiences for its production, performances and music.[1][45][46] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_in_the_Moonlight

I really don't know why Hyori didn't know that he sang one of the OSTs of MDBC. We are deducing logically that she didn't watch the drama. However, our intelligent guess of her not watching the drama does not make the drama any less popular.:) As I would always say, sageuk drama may not be our preferred genre or the plot of a particular sageuk drama may not be to our liking, but several facts stand...the drama was a ratings hit which created a syndrome not only in SK (Moonlight Syndrome) but also in many Asian countries and that it is critically acclaimed. Not all Hallyu dramas receive this praise.

In 2018, when he ranked in the top 10 Forbes Power Celebrities in SK even without a project (He topped it in 2017, the first actor to do so), he, together with two in the list, were described by an article as "Steady Power Celebrities". He has been in the Top 10 GallUp Survey since 2016. How do we explain this phenomenon?

Park Bo Gum's insane popularity is a combination of two factors...his choice of projects---we cannot discount this---and his squeaky clean, positive, and bright image. There are several celebrities recognized for their wholesome image but are not as popular. Why? Because their drama or film projects were not ratings or box-office hits. There are several celebrities with very successful drama or film projects but whose private persona do not stand out or who have been involved in scandals, thus, public trust is low or public opinion is not favorable. 

For someone so young Park Bo Gum has achieved so much. I am happy with his achievements. I trust that he will continue to choose good projects---roles that inspire and has a good message to convey. My wish aside from his happiness and safety is that he leaves us with several good projects---dramas and films---before his military enlistment so that he will not be sorely missed.

P.S. I believe that his fame among kids, noonas, ajummas, eommas, and halmonis has to do with his wholesome and bright image. Of course, his exceptional looks and his good dramas/drama performance contribute to it, too.

P.S.S. It never ceases to amaze me how his fame rivals those of top kpop idols. The clincher for me was when an article came out saying that Hong Gil Dong, a common placeholder name in SK, similar to John Doe in the U.S. has been replaced by Park Bo Gum.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not doubting PBG popularity as hallyu star. This is what I said in my last comment. He didnt have a big hallyu drama in his pocket yet, but still his popularity can competed with other hallyu actor, even an actor who older than him. And I'm not saying that his drama not success in international, its just not as big as other hallyu drama, like Dots, the heirs, or my love from another star. Example I know that reply 1988 is big in cina, but not for Moonlight. Moonlight more bigger in Japan. This is what I mean about "PBG popularity is bigger than all of his drama." it will be amazing to have one big drama with popularity like dots or the heirs. eventho he's already a big hallyu star.

• Insightful 1

2 hours ago, rahma92 said:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not doubting PBG popularity as hallyu star. This is what I said in my last comment. He didnt have a big hallyu drama in his pocket yet, but still his popularity can competed with other hallyu actor, even an actor who older than him. And I'm not saying that his drama not success in international, its just not as big as other hallyu drama, like Dots, the heirs, or my love from another star. Example I know that reply 1988 is big in cina, but not for Moonlight. Moonlight more bigger in Japan. This is what I mean about "PBG popularity is bigger than all of his drama." it will be amazing to have one big drama with popularity like dots or the heirs. eventho he's already a big hallyu star.

I understand that even among hallyu dramas, there are some that are bigger than others in terms of impact. There is leveling/grading among hallyu dramas. I also agree with what you said that a  hallyu drama's popularity level differ from one country to the next. 

After reading your post, I just wanted to review past articles about Moonlight's popularity as a Hallyu Drama so I had to retrieve some screencaps, articles and videos I saved during the height of the syndrome and share what I have  once again in the thread. :)

As I've pointed out, Bo Gum's popularity is a combination of his highly rated dramas plus his bright positive image so this concurs with what you said that his popularity is bigger than all his dramas. If I may add, his being the Music Bank World Tour Mascot also helps in securing his Hallyu status. I will also add another factor which I failed to include in my first response to you: The phenomenon of having two consecutive highly successful dramas in terms of ratings and buzz in a span of 6 months (Reply 1988 and Moonlight Drawn by the Clouds) contributed significantly to his wild popularity) in SK and abroad. This phenomenon led to him to topping the two most credible surveys in South Korea: GallUp and Forbes.

It's every fan's dream to have the star they admire be casted in a mega-hit drama. The most recent scriptwriters who penned these were Kim Eun Sook (DOTS, GOBLIN, HEIRS) and Park Ji Eun  (MY LOVE FROM ANOTHER STAR). 

Spoiler

Kim Eun Sook's dramas were consistently rating hits and generated tremendous buzz. Park Ji Eun's last drama may have earned high ratings but it didn't generate buzz, earn awards and was criticized for its plot. 

Hopefully Bo Gum gets to be offered such a drama with a role that meets his criteria. But if not, it will also be fine for as long as he takes on solidly-written, meaningful and inspiring projects which I trust he will.

Spoiler

His two consecutive hit dramas admittedly placed undue pressure on him---I think stars with hit dramas all experience this---to churn out consistently successful projects. This happened during his the post-Encounter media conference when reporters asked him if he was disappointed with the ratings of Encounter. It's not that Encounter flopped because cable drama ratings data and rankings show that it is one of the most successful cable dramas in terms of ratings. They asked in reference to his past two bigger hit dramas. If it were a different actor with no history of successful dramas, I am sure the reporters would not have asked that question and would instead congratulate him for the drama turn-out.

• Like 1