Park Bo Gum 박보검 ♥ 朴寶劍 ♥ パク・ボゴム | Upcoming Drama 2024: When Life Gives You Tangerines | Upcoming Drama 2024: Good Boy

autumnight

4 hours ago, gumtaek said:

I understand that even among hallyu dramas, there are some that are bigger than others in terms of impact. There is leveling/grading among hallyu dramas. I also agree with what you said that a  hallyu drama's popularity level differ from one country to the next. 

After reading your post, I just wanted to review past articles about Moonlight's popularity as a Hallyu Drama so I had to retrieve some screencaps, articles and videos I saved during the height of the syndrome and share what I have  once again in the thread. :)

As I've pointed out, Bo Gum's popularity is a combination of his highly rated dramas plus his bright positive image so this concurs with what you said that his popularity is bigger than all his dramas. If I may add, his being the Music Bank World Tour Mascot also helps in securing his Hallyu status. I will also add another factor which I failed to include in my first response to you: The phenomenon of having two consecutive highly successful dramas in terms of ratings and buzz in a span of 6 months (Reply 1988 and Moonlight Drawn by the Clouds) contributed significantly to his wild popularity) in SK and abroad. This phenomenon led to him to topping the two most credible surveys in South Korea: GallUp and Forbes.

It's every fan's dream to have the star they admire be casted in a mega-hit drama. The most recent scriptwriters who penned these were Kim Eun Sook (DOTS, GOBLIN, HEIRS) and Park Ji Eun  (MY LOVE FROM ANOTHER STAR). 

Reveal hidden contents

Kim Eun Sook's dramas were consistently rating hits and generated tremendous buzz. Park Ji Eun's last drama may have earned high ratings but it didn't generate buzz, earn awards and was criticized for its plot. 

Hopefully Bo Gum gets to be offered such a drama with a role that meets his criteria. But if not, it will also be fine for as long as he takes on solidly-written, meaningful and inspiring projects which I trust he will.

Reveal hidden contents

His two consecutive hit dramas admittedly placed undue pressure on him---I think stars with hit dramas all experience this---to churn out consistently successful projects. This happened during his the post-Encounter media conference when reporters asked him if he was disappointed with the ratings of Encounter. It's not that Encounter flopped because cable drama ratings data and rankings show that it is one of the most successful cable dramas in terms of ratings. They asked in reference to his past two bigger hit dramas. If it were a different actor with no history of successful dramas, I am sure the reporters would not have asked that question and would instead congratulate him for the drama turn-out.

Yes, there's many big writers in korea like Kim eunsuk, Park Ji eun, and Park Hye-Ryun. And maybe one of them want to cast Bogum in their drama. 

Spoiler

Im not sure about kim eunsuk, for what I know, she want to work with wonbin. 

I know I'm being greedy right now, but as a fan I just want the best for him. He really popular in korea and japan, I hope he can have the same popularity in other country too, (eventho he already a hallyu star) right Im being greedy :vicx:

Spoiler

About encounter, people who already read the script book, saying that the script is too bland. No wonder this writer get low rating in her prev drama before encounter. But then this is make me realized that PBG didnt care about 'a big name' of the writer. We cant predicted him. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ace Bed announced on Feb.27 that the YouTube video of model #ParkBoGum's  advertising  campaign

has surpassed a cumulative 26 million views, the combined number of 13.89 million hits in the first

campaign and 12.69 million hits in the second campaign.

Trans and tweeted by @sword0616

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/26/2019 at 5:32 AM, rahma92 said:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not doubting PBG popularity as hallyu star. This is what I said in my last comment. He didnt have a big hallyu drama in his pocket yet, but still his popularity can competed with other hallyu actor, even an actor who older than him. And I'm not saying that his drama not success in international, its just not as big as other hallyu drama, like Dots, the heirs, or my love from another star. Example I know that reply 1988 is big in cina, but not for Moonlight. Moonlight more bigger in Japan. This is what I mean about "PBG popularity is bigger than all of his drama." it will be amazing to have one big drama with popularity like dots or the heirs. eventho he's already a big hallyu star.

Joining your conversation --- @rahma92 @gumtaek    I think and believe -   The fact himself he is "PARK BO GUM" is equalizing to being the top hallyu star.  Pointing and emphasizing about "PBG is bigger than his dramas" is I think a correct statement also because based on what we observed even after  two years of without drama or movie he still proved himself to be in Korea's Forbes Power Celebrity List because of his full schedule of endorsements and although he became low in standing but still he was there. :wub::wub::wub:                                                                                                 

On the other side @rahma92 about having a big hallyu drama in his pocket is I think and I also believe MDBC is a big hallyu drama in his pocket already . Wiki described it as "domestic and overseas hit" and the press referred to its influence as the "Moonlight Syndrome". When I read the Reception Part of MDBC Wiki it stated all there how it was,  I believe became a "top hallyu drama".  This drama has  branded him as the "Park BoGum genre" or "Park BoGum is a genre" based on Kim PD of MDBC interview with Yonhap (The article is about Park BoGum snapped into role two months into filming: PD said). In terms of rating it has a pretty solid rating although compare to DOTS highest rated episode  it is lower but still it has a solid rating. R88 is a big hit also but it has a group casting and a group story.  So I think in MDBC as the lead actor he already proved himself as top hallyu star in one way or another.                                                                                   

My analysis and observation of your past statements about  'top hallyu drama in a pocket" (correct me if I'm wrong)  here is you are eyeing for PBG to be in the list of the renowned Screen Writer Kim Eun Sook. If in the future he will be chosen by this great SW it will be an honor to his part because of the record of KES and since acting is not a problem with him anymore this drama "to be" would be an excellent collaboration between PBG and KES. Who knows, even SJK with DOTS is not the first choice of this project.  Lots of great actors declined it already before coming to the hand of Ki. I hope this collaboration will be materialized in the future because we know the caliber of this screen writer. If that collaboration will happen in the future and will become a HIT domestically and Internationally then it will become an ADDED LIST of " top hallyu drama in his pocket " :D:D:D                                                                                                                 

I hope for Bogummy to be recognized in formal award giving body like Baeksang or Blue Dragon not by being popular but because of his excellent acting ability because he has the great potentials and we know that he can do it. He just needs to choose a suitable and challenging projects that would bring him to the stage of recognition. B)B)B)

• Like 4

On 2/26/2019 at 7:01 PM, rahma92 said:

I know I'm being greedy right now, but as a fan I just want the best for him. He really popular in korea and japan, I hope he can have the same popularity in other country too, (eventho he already a hallyu star) right Im being greedy :vicx:

Hide contents

About encounter, people who already read the script book, saying that the script is too bland. No wonder this writer get low rating in her prev drama before encounter. But then this is make me realized that PBG didnt care about 'a big name' of the writer. We cant predicted him. :sweatingbullets:

Objectively speaking, Bo Gum is very popular in many Asian Countries, not only in SK and Japan. A case in point was his 2019 Bangkok fanmeet, together with the crazy reception on his arrival and the equally crazy send-off at 1 a.m. (!) at the airport! This was a repeat of what happened when he had his 2017 fanmeets in Bangkok, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, etc. both in the fanmeet venue and the airport and his successful 2017 fanmeets in Taiwan, Singapore, and Hongkong.

Of course, popularity is a good thing but we know it doesn't last. He himself knows it fully well. Bo Gum is very grounded: In a post-MDBC interview, he said that his goal is not fame but rather that through his acting, he will give positive influence to others. This is not verbatim. He said it more beautifully. He also said that he will enjoy it while it lasts but he will not make it his goal in life.This is why I stan him because he, despite his fame, has a good head on his shoulders. He has the wisdom of a sage and knows how to direct and conduct his life. He knows what, in the end, matters in life. I have to say that, as a fan, I have been spoiled by Bo Gum's success in dramas, in surveys and polls, by his insane popularity and it has, I have to admit, conditioned me to want the situation not to changed or to want him to soar even further in popularity. I then realized that I need to go back to very reasons I started stanning him regardless of his popularity: first, it was because of his upstanding persona: his clean and bright image and second, because of his incredible acting skills. 

Scriptbook was bland? The scriptbook contains the drama's screenplay, right? I don't know about all of you but scripts or screenplays, in general, aren't really interesting reads because of their skeletal dialogue format. Unlike books,  they leave out a lot of interesting and exciting details that would required skillful acting and directing. If we watched Encounter, we saw the phenomenon being set to life.

A melodrama has a slow-burn plot. It is "mellow" after all. The whole drama was faithful to its genre: not fast-paced nor highly stimulating. In fact, one thing lollypip of dramabeans appreciated about the drama was that it never went the "makjang" route just to scintillate or attract many viewers who are biased toward fast-paced dramas. It was true to its genre.

If we really watched the drama---I say this because during the drama's airing those who criticized it didn't really watch the drama or lacked the necessary knowledge to appreciate the melodrama genre---if we watched it understanding the genre's elements, we will conclude that it's well-written, quality drama.

I missed out tweeting and posting here an article critique of the drama after its airing describing Encounter as a "high-quality, top-grade" authentic melodrama where acting and directing shone, not the mention,  its outstanding cinematography and good musical

direction. The points mentioned in the article critique proved that Bo Gum made a good choice in taking it on this drama. 

The scriptwriter, admittedly, didn't have a good reputation with regard her past dramas. I didn't watch these so I really cannot say much about them except than these had very low ratings. However, she penned some very successful films one of which was Miracle Cell No.7, one of the highest-grossing Korean films. 

More than the scriptwriter,  Bo Gum cares about the script as he has said in his Esquire Magazine interview. He said he reads the script thoroughly before deciding on a project. We also know that he abides by a set of criteria or principles when choosing roles. I respect him for that. 

• Like 1

Anyone else having problem logging into this forum? On and off, I keep getting error messages... 

Mnet Japan had an interview with Bo Gum about Boyfriend. (Translated by Google :lol:)

http://jp.mnet.com/news/newsdetail.m?searchNewsVO.news_id=20190226135429

【Mnet Official Interview】 "Boyfriend (Original)" Interview with Park Bogum! !

2019/02/26 13: 54: 29

interest.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fjp.mnet.co

© Mnet Japan / Photo by Hiroshi Kawakami 

Q. "Boyfriend (Original)" will be broadcasted on Mnet Japan on March 21st (Thu). 
The reaction is very hot from before broadcasting. Please tell us your impressions. 
I received a lot of support and interest from the beginning of the broadcast, I am very grateful. I am also looking forward to being broadcasted in Japan, and I am happy if you can like the drama. 

Q. Please tell us sights of the drama. 
This drama begins with the meeting of the representative Cha Soo-hyun of the Dongfa Hotel and the adolescent Kim Jin Hyuk. I think that the two people are growing through changes in emotions and pain in their hearts. 

Q. Please introduce the character Kim Jin Hyuk. 
Jin Hyuk is a person with a positive character. Because he is a person who can love himself, he can love people as well. I think that the vessel is very big person. 

Q. Is there a part similar to Mr. Bogum? 
I think his positive attitude is a lot like me. There is something I have learned from Jin Hyuk, but he is not a person who feels happiness for things that he has because of the quality of the item is good or because there are a lot of things. He can love what he has and cherish it. I think that is very attractive.

Q. In the play, many beautiful scenes and romantic scenes will appear, but what is the scene that is memorable? 
Cuba was the place where I first ran the location of this drama. As a result, the scenes shot in Cuba are particularly beautiful finished and strongly left in the impression. In the scene depicting the romance of Soo Hyun and Jin Hyuk, the scenes where the two of them make video calls are the most favorite. It felt like I became a real couple. 

Q. How was the performance with Song Hye Kyo who played Cha Soo Hyun? 
Hye Kyo expressed her character as Soo Hyun lively, so I think I could concentrate on the role of Jin Hyuk. I was very grateful for that time.

Q. What kind of drama became "Boyfriend (original work)" for Mr. Bogum? 
I met a person named Jin Hyuk, I was able to look back over the important people and important times I met in my life. "Boyfriend" is a special time for me, a special moment, a special drama. 

Q. What is your favorite line in the drama? 
"I wanted to see you (Pogoshi Poso)" is the line. I think that everyone in Japan has not seen it yet, but in the play, the dialogue that "I wanted to meet you" came out. I think that the scene and lines clearly express the kind of person Jin Hyuk is. While Jin Hyuk shows a brave side like Don Quijote, I think it became a scene that confessed his feelings. 

Q. Finally, please give your message to MNET Japan's viewers. 
Mnet Japan, viewers of all, "Boyfriend (original work)" will be broadcast for the first time from Thursday, March 21. Thank you for your support and love. It was Park Bogum. Thank you very much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@autumnight: I'm posting an English Transcription of the video you posted. By the way, does Google Translate really translate to English Bo Gum's Japanese interview that well? I use it but translation results really leave much to be desired.:) I thought I was the only one. I've been finding it difficult to log on the past 2-3 days, too.

• Love 1

South Korean heartthrob actor Park Bo-gum ‘meets’ up to 4,000 Bangkok fans during Asian Tour

• The star of hit series such as ‘Encounter’ and ‘Reply 1988’ also plans to visit cities such as Singapore, Hong Kong and Jakarta
Korea Times

Korea Times  

Updated: Sunday, 24 Feb, 2019 4:01pm

South Korean actor Park Bo-gum (right) sang songs in Thai, played piano, danced and discussed his acting career with fans in Bangkok on Saturday, as part of his current âmeet-the-fansâ Asian tour.

South Korean actor Park Bo-gum (right) sang songs in Thai, played piano, danced and discussed his acting career with fans in Bangkok on Saturday, as part of his current ‘meet-the-fans’ Asian tour.

About 4,000 fans turned up to meet South Korean heartthrob actor Park Bo-gum in Bangkok on Saturday.

South Korean actor Park Bo-gum on stage in Bangkok on Saturday, where he discussed his career and sang songs in Thai.
South Korean actor Park Bo-gum on stage in Bangkok on Saturday, where he discussed his career and sang songs in Thai.

About 4,000 fans turned up to meet South Korean heartthrob actor Park Bo-gum in Bangkok on Saturday.

Share:

His appearance at the Thunder Dome events hall was part of his current Asia Tour, offering his many admirers in the region the chance to meet him, learn about his plans for his career and hear his thoughts on some of the films and television dramas in which he has starred.

While on stage, Park, 25, even re-enacted scenes from some of his most popular series with the help of fans from the audience.

During the second part of his meeting with fans, Park played piano, sang songs in Thai and danced as well.

South Korean actor Park Bo-gum waves to his adoring fans at Bangkokâs Thunder Dome on Saturday. Photo: Blossom Entertainment

South Korean actor Park Bo-gum waves to his adoring fans at Bangkok’s Thunder Dome on Saturday. Photo: Blossom Entertainment

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/people-events/article/2187297/south-korean-heartthrob-actor-park-bo-gum-meets-4000

• Like 1