[American Movie 2015] 50 Shades of Grey

sugarplum892

Fifty Shades of Grey: First look released!

Details:

Title: 50 Shades of Grey
Genre:  Erotic, Romance

Production Companies:  Universal Pictures, Focus Features, Michael De Luca Productions, and Trigger Street Productions

Director: Sam Taylor-Wood

Adapted from: Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James
Release Date: February 13, 2015

Cast:

Dakota Johnson as Anastasia "Ana" SteeleJamie Dornan as Christian GreyEloise Mumford as Katherine "Kate" Kavanagh Luke Grimes as Elliot Grey Rita Ora as Mia Grey Victor Rasuk as José Rodriguez Max Martini as Jason Taylor Dylan Neal as Bob Adams Callum Keith Rennie as Raymond "Ray" Steele Jennifer Ehle as Carla Wilks Marcia Gay Harden as Grace Trevelyan Grey Aaron Taylor-Johnson Andrew Airlie as Carrick GreyAnthony Konechny as Paul ClaytonEmily Fonda as Martina

Synopsis:

When Anastasia Steele, a literature student, goes to interview the wealthy Christian Grey, as a favor to her roommate Kate Kavanagh, she encounters a handsome, brilliant and intimidating man. The innocent and naive Ana, startled to realize she wants him, despite his enigmatic reserve and advice, finds herself desperate to get close to him. Not able to resist Ana's beauty and independent spirit, Christian Grey admits he wants her too, but in his own terms. Ana hesitates as she discovers the singular tastes of Christian Grey – despite the embellishments of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family – Grey is consumed by the need to control everything. As they get close, Ana starts to discover Christian Grey's secrets and explores her own desires.

Trailer:

SOOMPI RULES OF CONDUCT

Anything unrelated to the movie character/plot is considered spamming. 

Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread.

02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods

.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 

itemprop="headline" style="font-family: ProximaNova-Light, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 2.25em; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: inherit; line-height: 1.11111em; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-stretch: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); word-wrap: break-word; letter-spacing: -1px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"50 Shades of Grey gets new lip-biting teaser posterA new Fifty Shades of Grey poster has been revealed.
It comes two days before we get to see the next trailer for the Sam Taylor-Johnson-directed film starring Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson.Fifty Shades of Grey movie poster

The second theatrical trailer will hit screens on Friday, November 14.
Dornan recently revealed he won't have any full-frontal naked scenes in the movie.
The erotic drama's supporting cast features Rita Ora, Marcia Gay Harden, Max Martini, Eloise Mumford and Jennifer Ehle. 
Fifty Shades of Grey will hit cinemas on Valentine's Day 2015.

Source

class="headline" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1415845328671_1348" style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 35px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; line-height: 42px; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin: 0px; padding-top: 15px; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-right: 40px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Charlie Hunnam Explains Why He Quit '50 Shades of Grey'Charlie Hunnam shocked "50 Shades of Grey" fans by pulling out of the project just weeks after he was cast as Christian Grey.
However, the "Sons of Anarchy" actor did it not only in his own best interests, but also because he was thinking about what was best for the project, he told Men's Health magazine.
Charlie Hunnam Explains Why He Quit '50 Shades of Grey'

"I was going to finish playing a psychopath who’d just lost his wife [in "Sons of Anarchy"], and five days later I’d be on set playing Christian Grey,” he said. "I was like, 'This is going to be a ... disaster.' It was the opposite of how I’ve tried to ground my career, not stretch myself too thin, and always do my homework."

Hunnam, 34, said that he understands that this isn't necessarily the norm in Hollywood. However, to him, it was of utmost importance.
"There’s a tendency in this Hollywood machinery to take on too much," he said. "You end up not being able to give everything you want."
Source

not having read the books and only hearing about its notoriety, i was hoping the film would give me a visual insight in what the craze is all about. after watching the trailer, i still dont understand what the hype is about. an erotica with no full frontal nudity...wtf?

50 Shades of Grey gets new cover art for tie-in edition book
Fifty Shades of Grey has received new book cover art in anticipation of the film's release.
The movie tie-in edition features Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan) embracing Anastasia Steele (Dakota Johnson) against a wall. 

Fifty Shades of Grey movie tie-in edition by EL James

The other two books in the trilogy, Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed, will also be stickered to tie-in with the movie adaptation. 
Earlier this year, the Fifty Shades of Grey series sold over 100 million copies, making it one of the most read book series worldwide.
A new trailer for the film debuted last week (November 14), showing more of Christian and Anastasia's unique relationship. 
Directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson, the film also features Rita Ora, Marcia Gay Harden, Max Martini and Luke Grimes.
The Fifty Shades of Grey tie-in book will be released on January 6, 2015, ahead of the film's release on Valentine's Day (February 14).
Source

• 2 weeks later...

50 Shades of Grey unveils posters: See Rita Ora as Christian Grey's sister
Fifty Shades of Grey has unveiled a new glimpse of Rita Ora in one of three character posters.
The upcoming adaptation of author EL James's bestselling erotic novel chronicles the sadomasochistic relationship between suave Christian Grey and young student Ana Steele.

Fifty Shades of Grey character poster: Rita Ora as Mia Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey character poster: Marcia Gay Harden Dr. Grace Trevelyan Grey

Universal Pictures' new posters introduce Christian Grey's(Jamie Dornan) family, portrayed by Ora, Marcia Gay Harden and Andrew Airlie.
Popstar Ora has been cast as Christian's sister Mia, while Academy Award winner Harden and Airlie portray the troubled businessman's parents in director Sam Taylor-Johnson's movie.

Fifty Shades of Grey character poster: Andrew Airlie as Carrick Grey

Jamie Dornan recently spoke about the explicit sex scenes in Fifty Shades of Grey, joking that fans shouldn't expect to see his "todger".
"You want to appeal to as wide an audience as possible without grossing them out," he added. "You don't want to make something gratuitous, ugly and graphic."
Fifty Shades of Grey is scheduled to open on February 13, 2015 in the US and the UK.

Source

• 1 month later...

Rita Ora Shares Latest Fifty Shades of Grey PhotoRita Ora, Mia, Fifty Shades of Grey

You guys, we're less than two months away!As time (thankfully) dwindles down until we get to see the highly anticipated Fifty Shades of Grey adaptation—based on E.L. James' addictive erotica trilogy—hit the big screen, we're greeted with a special little holiday treat: a new promo photo!The latest snapshot from the flick, which hits theaters on Valentine's Day, was first shared by none other than singer-turned-actress Rita Ora, who plays the role of Christian Grey's (Jamie Dornan) sister, Mia. And now, fans can get another sneak peek of the Brit in character.The promo features the famous image of Mr. Grey standing with his back to us as he gazes out at the city from his office, and also includes a close-up of Ora rocking a black bob and smoky eyes. She captioned the black-and-white picture, "I like this. I can't wait till next year! #2015 #bots!"
Although Fifty Shades is known for it's sexual intensity, viewers won't be seeing Rita getting down and dirty in the flick. That's all saved for her on-screen brother.Rita told Fuse TV earlier this year she won't be "the most sexual in this movie...I mean, it's to save your own eyes, really!" she joked. "It's an amazing honor to be part of such a huge movement. I'm super-excited; I'm going to go to the movies and watch it when it comes out!"Speaking of Mr. Dornan, the Northern-Irish hunk who plays titular character Christian Grey recently opened up about his kinky research to prepare for Fifty Shades, admitting to Elle U.K. that he visited...a sex dungeon. "I went there, they offered me a beer, and they did...whatever they were into," the 32-year-old confessed. "I saw a dominant with one of his two submissives. I was like, 'Come on, guys, I know I'm not paying for this, but I am expecting a show.' It was an interesting evening. Then going back to my wife and newborn baby afterwards...I had a long shower before touching either of them."Forty-five days, guys. Forty-five days.
Source

Fifty Shades of Grey movie gets R rating for "unusual behavior"
The upcoming Fifty Shades of Grey movie has been handed an R rating in the US.
The erotic drama has been issued the MPAA rating for "strong sexual content including dialog, some unusual behavior and graphic nudity".
Fifty Shades trailer

When the film was first announced, producer Dana Brunetti hinted that two versions may be released: an R rated version and a more explicit NC-17 cut. 
He said: "Everybody could go and enjoy the R version, and then if they really wanted to see it again and get a little bit more gritty with it then have that NC-17 version out there as well."
However, a more explicit version of the film has not been announced.
Fifty Shades trailer

Fifty Shades of Grey is based on the book of the same name by EL James, and stars Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan as Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey. 
The 2015 Berlin Film Festival will host the first international screening of the adaptation.
Source

50 Shades of Grey teaser: Celebrate Valentine's Day with Mr Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey has unveiled a risqué new Valentine's Day-themed teaser ahead of its impending cinema release.
Jamie Dornan takes center stage as dashing businessman Christian Grey, who invites the timid Ana Steele (Dakota Johnson) into his world of eroticism.

The screen adaptation of EL James's erotic novel by director Sam Taylor-Johnson also features Luke Grimes, Rita Ora and Marcia Gay Harden in supporting roles.
Dornan recently opened up about the pressure of playing Grey, admitting that he fears being physically harmed by angry fans of the novel.
Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey in the Fifty Shades of Grey movie

Last week, 'mockbuster' Bound - which stars Charisma Carpenter in a story similar to Fifty Shades of Grey - was released in select cinemas.
Fifty Shades of Grey opens in time for Valentine's Day on February 13 in the UK and the US.
Source
Beyoncé, Sia, Rolling Stones for Fifty Shades of Grey soundtrack
Beyoncé and Sia are among the artists who will feature on the upcoming Fifty Shades of Grey soundtrack.
The Weeknd, Jessie Ware, Frank Sinatra and The Rolling Stones are also included on the tracklist, with the album scheduled to be released on February 10.
Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood, Charlie Watts, and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones, perform on the Pyramid main stage at Glastonbury. Beyoncé 'Haunted' video still

Ellie Goulding's new single 'Love Me Like You Do' also features, after its official premiere earlier this week.
Other contributions come from Annie Lennox, Laura Welsh, Skylar Grey, Vaults, AWOLNATION and Danny Elfman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=725WlG1idPc

However, despite previously speaking about recording music for the soundtrack, as well as starring as Mia Grey in the film, Rita Ora doesn't seem to have made the final tracklist.
Fifty Shades of Grey is based on the popular novel by EL James and stars Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson as Christian Grey and Ana Steele. It will be in cinemas from February 14.
The full tracklist for the Fifty Shades of Grey soundtrack is as follows:
1. Annie Lennox: 'I Put a Spell On You'2. Laura Welsh: 'Undiscovered'3. The Weeknd: 'Earned It'4. Jessie Ware: 'Meet Me In the Middle'5. Ellie Goulding: 'Love Me Like You Do'6. Beyoncé: 'Haunted (Michael Diamond Remix)'7. Sia: 'Salted Wound'8. The Rolling Stones: 'Beast of Burden'9. AWOLNATION: 'I'm On Fire'10. Beyoncé: 'Crazy In Love (2014 Remix)'11. Frank Sinatra: 'Witchcraft'12. Vaults: 'Where You Belong'13. Skylar Grey: 'I Know You'14. Danny Elfman: 'Anna and Christian'15. Danny Elfman: 'Did That Hurt?'
Source

class="headline" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1421281812284_1822" style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 35px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; line-height: 42px; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin: 0px; padding-top: 15px; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-right: 40px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Jamie Dornan: Matt Bomer's Fans Yell at Me About Fifty Shades of Grey1421251228_jamie-dornan-lg.jpg

Simmer down, people! Fifty Shades of Grey is still weeks away from its Feb. 13 release date, but Jamie Dornan is already having some pretty crazy fan encounters. The problem is, they're not his fans — they're Matt Bomer's.

Bomer was never officially in the running for the role of Christian Grey, but not for a lack of popularity. After Dakota Johnson and Charlie Hunnam were announced as the chosen ones in 2013, the Magic Mike star's legions of devoted supporters helped create a petition on Change.org to get him and Alexis Bledel cast instead. It got more than 93,000 signatures.

When Hunnam backed out of the movie a month later, Bomer's fans hoped the White Collar star would be chosen to replace him. Ultimately, however, the role of Christian Grey went to Irish actor and former underwear model Dornan — which some impassioned moviegoers still can't accept.

Jamie Dornan: Matt Bomer's Fans Yell at Me About Fifty Shades of Grey

The Once Upon a Time actor understands that he's not everyone's first choice, but he also says it would be impossible for anyone — yes, even Bomer — to live up to people's expectations.
"I mean, even if you cast Matt Bomer, or Alexander Skarsgard, or Charlie Hunnam, or any of those other guys — we'd all just be doing our best, you know?" he told Elle. "Christian Grey — he isn't a real person. He's a superhero — a myth. He's like Bigfoot! He's unbelievable. He's unattainable. There's no actor in the world who could live up to that."
His costar Marcia Gay Harden may disagree. She told Elle that she was "so impressed" with Dornan, and even likened him to Hollywood superstar Brad Pitt.
"Brad and Jamie are both exquisitely beautiful. And because they're exquisitely beautiful, some people might be dismissive of them," she explained. "But Brad was a heartthrob who wanted to transform, who did transform. So will Jamie."
Source

class="headline" itemprop="headline" style="font-family: ProximaNova-Light, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 2.25em; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: inherit; line-height: 1.11111em; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-stretch: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; letter-spacing: -1px; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"50 Shades of Grey's Dakota Johnson talks "dwindling anonymity"Dakota Johnson has spoken about her "dwindling anonymity" in the lead-up to the release of Fifty Shades of Grey. 
Talking to Vogue, the actress said that although she finds aspects of fame "scary", she won't let it stop her living a quiet life.
Fifty Shades of Grey

"I think about my dwindling anonymity," she said. "And that's really scary because a very large part of me would be perfectly happy living on a ranch in Colorado and having babies and chickens and horses - which I will do anyway." 
Speaking about the anticipated movie adaptation, which had the most-viewed trailer on YouTube last year, Johnson admitted that she wanted to be part of Sam Taylor-Johnson's project because it is "different".
PARIS, FRANCE - JULY 08: Dakota Johnson attends the Chanel show as part of Paris Fashion Week - Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2014-2015 at Grand Palais on July 8, 2014 in Paris, France. (Photo by Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images)

"I wanted to be involved because it's so different, and it's an intense love story," she explained.
"It's just the most insane thing to be a part of. I've never experienced anything like this; I don't think anyone has. It's terrifying - and it's exciting."
Fifty Shades of Grey is released on February 13 and also stars Jamie Dornan.

Source

50 Shades of Grey cast haven't seen film: 'Movie has a chastity belt'
Marcia Gay Harden has revealed that the cast of Fifty Shades of Grey have yet to actually see the movie.
The Academy Award winner appears in director Sam Taylor-Johnson's adaptation of the erotic EL James as Christian Grey's mother Grace.
Fifty Shades of Grey character poster: Marcia Gay Harden Dr. Grace Trevelyan Grey

Harden recently explained that security is so tight for the movie that a screening for the Fifty Shades of Grey cast has not been arranged yet.
"The director is letting the cast see the movie but not right now," she told Access Hollywood.
The actress went on to joke: "I'm going to see it right before the fans do... but this is a movie that is protected.
"It's like they've got a chastity belt around the movie itself."
Jamie Dornan previously spoke about the pressure that comes with playing Christian Grey, admitting that he fears physical harm from angry fans of the novel.
Fifty Shades trailer

The upcoming movie also stars Dakota Johnson as Christian's bookish love interest Ana Steele, and Rita Ora as the businessman's sister Mia.
Fifty Shades of Grey opens on February 13 in the US and the UK in advance of Valentine's Day.
Source

Dakota Johnson Got Whiplash Filming the "Fifty Shades" Movie
/

Hot on the heels of Dakota Johnson's Vogue cover, she and Fifty Shades co-star Jamie Dornan front the new issue of Glamour magazine. "We're going there," the cover line promises — and that "there" might just be the Red Room of Pain, because there's lots of insight into the film's sexy S&M sex scenes in the accompanying feature. So buckle up, or have Christian do that for you, if you know what I mean. 

Both the movie's stars discussed their pre-shoot research, which means, yes, Dornan tells that story about visiting a sex dungeon again. This time, however, he adds that the "dom" (dominant, as in Christian's role in his and Ana's relationship) he met there stuck around throughout filming, and not just because you can't really tell a good dom to go away. His role was to make sure any of the relevant scenes were presented accurately; the first time Dornan ever practiced all the BSDM knowledge — "knots, buckles, how to use a whip," he says — he'd picked up, however, was with Johnson on-set. On her end, she avoided even seeing the movie's Red Room set before entering it for the first time in character, so that her reactions would be as authentic as possible. 

"Some of the Red Room stuff was very uncomfortable," Dornan continues. "There were times I had to do stuff to [Dakota] that I'd never choose to do to a woman." Johnson adds, "It's stressful enough to be tied to a bed naked in a scene. But then they call cut, and you're still tied to the bed, naked." So she gives Dornan props: "Jamie would be the first person to throw a blanket over me," she says. But she still got whiplash from being thrown on a bed too vigorously in another scene. 
At another point in the interview (which is great), Johnson discusses her perception of Ana versus the consensus that her character's timid ways are to her detriment. "I completely disagree with people who think Ana's weak," she says. "I think she's stronger than [Christian] is. Everything she does is her choice. And if I can be an advocate for women to do what they want with their bodies and not be ashamed of what they want, then I'm all for that." 
Source

Dakota Johnson on 50 Shades: It's stressful to be tied to a bed, naked
Dakota Johnson has told Glamour that it was stressful to film the sex scenes in Fifty Shades of Grey.
The actress and her co-star Jamie Dornan appear on all 12 global covers of the magazine as well as Vanity Fair Italy, and gave a joint interview about the project.
Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan in Glamour

"There were times when Dakota was not wearing much, and I had to do stuff to her that I'd never choose to do to a woman," Dornan said of shooting the scenes.
Johnson said: "It's stressful enough to be tied to a bed, naked, in a scene. But then they call 'Cut' and you're still tied to the bed, naked."
Dornan said: "I felt very protective and aware that it probably wasn't easy for her to be put in those situations."
Johnson added: "Jamie would be the first one to throw a blanket over me. And he did a lot of studying, just to make sure that I was as safe as possible. But there were some painful moments."
Of the hype surrounding the film, Johnson said: "If I can be an advocate for women to do what they want with their bodies and not be ashamed of what they want, then I'm all for that.
"But I don't want my family to see it, because it's inappropriate. Or my brother's friends that I grew up with. Also there's part of me that's like, 'I don't want anyone to see this movie'. Just kidding."

Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan front Glamour

Dornan said: "When my daughter's 18, I'm not going to be going, 'You've gotta watch Daddy in Fifty Shades of Grey'.
"But there will be greater things to protect her from than Dad's richard simmons on the big screen."
Of preparing for the role, Dornan said: "One rainy Tuesday evening, I kissed my wife and baby goodnight and went to watch a dominant/submissive session in a dungeon.
"The dominant was our sort-of advisor on the job. So I watched him do his thing… I didn't enjoy it massively, but it was helpful to a point."
Johnson said: "I didn't get to go to the sex dungeon. I wanted to keep myself a little bit distanced from it at first because I wanted Ana's reaction to certain things to be honest and real."
See the full shoot in the March issue of Glamour, on sale this Tuesday, February 3.
Fifty Shades of Grey is released on Valentine's Day, February 14.
Source

class="headline" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1423332610131_1805" style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 35px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; line-height: 42px; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin: 0px; padding-top: 15px; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-right: 40px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan Continue Their Awkward 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Press TourAfter their surprisingly uncomfortable Glamour Q&A, Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson continued to promote Fifty Shades of Grey at a fan screening in New York Friday morning, where the two -- again -- appeared to be just as awkward with one another as they could possibly get.
Though Dakota, 25, and Jamie, 32, obviously posed together for photos, the two looked less than warm, appearing stiff and flashing painful smiles. Perhaps most telling of all, they barely looked at one another.
Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan Continue Their Awkward 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Press Tour

Dakota, clad in a furry Balenciaga ensemble, didn't do much to dispel the uneasy vibe during an interview with the Today show at the screening. Watch how Carson Daly and Natalie Morales practically have to coax her to talk.

Meanwhile, Jamie addressed the awkwardness of filming a movie filled with sex scenes.
"I mean, they were uncomfortable to a point, but you know, we were surrounded by people that we had built the trust with and that we respect, so I think that we all got it to a place where we actually took the discomfort out of it, and we just got to see it and approach it in a professional way and enjoy it," he said.
But though the Fifty Shades of Grey press tour hasn't been the best, clearly, fans of the book could care less. Pre-sales for the highly publicized film adaptation of E.L. James' steamy tale indicate that it is now the fastest-selling R movie ever in the 15-year history of Fandango.
And according to director Sam Taylor-Johnson, the film adaptations of part two and three in the erotic series are definitely on their way.
"That's next," she smiled.
Source

• 2 weeks later...

Fifty Shades of Grey makes record-breaking US box office debut
Fifty Shades of Grey has debuted at the top of the US box office.
The erotic adaptation took $81,670,000 in its first weekend in theatres, which establishes it as the highest-grossing Presidents' Day opener and second-highest February opening of all time, behind the $83.9m taken by The Passion of the Christ.

It also ranks the film among the biggest R-rated movie debuts, with only The Matrix Reloaded, The Hangover Part II and the Mel Gibson biblical adaptation earning more.
Colin Firth's Kingsman: The Secret Service takes the second spot with initial takings of over $35 million, while last week's number one The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water falls to three with $30 million. 
American Sniper is at four with just over $16 million, as Jupiter Ascending moves to five with $9 million. 
Kingsman: The Secret Service

Seventh Son is at six with takings of $4.1 million, while Paddington falls to seven.
The Imitation Game stays at eight with $3.5 million, and The Wedding Ringer falls to nine.
Project Almanac rounds out the top ten with takings of $2.7 million.
Project Almanac

The US weekend box office Top 10 for February 13-15 (studio estimates, all figures in US dollars) is as follows:
1. (-) Fifty Shades of Grey - $81,670,0002. (-) Kingsman: The Secret Service - $35,600,0003. (1) The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water - $30,540,0004. (2) American Sniper - $16,435,0005. (3) Jupiter Ascending - $9,430,0006. (4) Seventh Son - $4,153,0007. (6) Paddington - $4,150,0008. (8) The Imitation Game - $3,525,0009. (7) The Wedding Ringer - $3,400,00010. (5) Project Almanac - $2,730,000
Source

itemprop="headline" style="font-family: Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; font-size: 42px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.1em; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 15px 120px 18px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; border-image-source: initial; border-image-slice: initial; border-image-width: initial; border-image-outset: initial; border-image-repeat: initial; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-stretch: normal; word-wrap: break-word; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;"Box Office: 'Fifty Shades' Goes Limp For $8M FridayThe notion of a major film basically being what amounts to a one-weekend-wonder is not a new concept. Films as varied as The Fault in Our Stars to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II to X-Men Origins: Wolverine took massive nosedives in weekend two after superb debut weekends. On that note, it’s not terribly surprising that Sam Taylor-Johnson’s Fifty Shades of Grey tumbled 73% on its second Friday for a $8 million gross and $114.9m domestic total. That sets the stage for a $24m weekend (-71%) and a $132m ten-day total. That’s the danger of films that play strictly to the converted. The converted showed up last weekend in massive numbers and no one else (comparatively speaking) cared to sample the goods this weekend. Of course, we’re still talking about a $40 million R-rated erotic drama that crossed $315m worldwide just heading into the weekend, so I think the amount of tears that will be shed over at Universal/Comcast Corp. will be minimal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You can chalk this big drop, among the biggest for a 3,500+ screen mega-release like this, to a few perfectly reasonable factors. On one hand, the “Aren’t you curious?” ad campaign, which touted the book and thus the Dakota Johnson/Jamie Dornan movie as a major event didn’t move the needle beyond opening weekend. And the positive buzz over the film’s opening weekend didn’t really convince anyone who otherwise was on the fence or disinterested from checking it out. Moreover, while it would be easy enough to chalk up the film’s mediocre word-of-mouth (a C+ CinemaScore) to the subject matter and/or casual audiences not enjoying what they sampled out of curiosity (“Eww, gross!”), I don’t think we can underestimate the fact that the film adaptation went out of its way to tone down the most explicit subject matter (“Not gross enough!”). I can only speak for anecdotal experience, but the people I spoke with who saw the film because they read the book were indeed disappointed by the relative soft-core nature of the onscreen shenanigans. As I feared, the producers toned down the very content that fans came to see in an attempt to attract viewers that weren’t going to see the film anyway.
To the extent that it matters (let’s be honest, Fifty Shades was never going to have a 40% second weekend drop), did toning down the sexual content, including removing the tawdrier material and removing any and all male nudity, serve to get more general audiences into the theater last weekend or did it merely serve to disappoint the very hardcore fans that turned the movie into a mega smash in the first place and thus cause a massive drop this weekend? Obviously if the answer could well be “all of the above,” but this still reeks of a situation not unlike The Expendables 3, where the powers-that-be cut the film down to a PG-13 for the sake of kids who had no interest which only served to annoy the very hardcore fans who made the first two films into hits in the first place. Now obviously The Expendables 3 cost $100 million as opposed to $40m to produce and obviously Fifty Shades of Grey is going to vastly outperform The Expendables 3 in the end, but it’s a conversation worth having as Universal decides how to go forward with Fifty Shades Darker, which will likely have less “casual interest” and play more as a “fans only” event.
Nonetheless, if Fifty Shades of Grey drops 70% for the weekend, it will be the second-biggest such drop for a 3,500+ screen release ever, behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II (which dropped 72% in weekend two but still earned $1 billion worldwide) and it will be just the seventh film to open on more than 3,000 screens to drop by 70% or more, putting it in company with Doom (72.7%), A Nightmare On Elm Street (-72.3%), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II (-72%), Hellboy II: The Golden Army (-70.7%, thanks Space Chimps!), Paranormal Activity 4 (-70.7%), Valentine’s Day (70.4% on this very weekend), and The Twilight Saga: New Moon (-70%). If we use Valentine’s Day as a guide, we can expect Fifty Shades of Grey to end its domestic run with around $170m, terrific for a $40m R-rated erotic picture aimed at women but not quite besting Catherine Hardwicke’s Twilight ($192m) for the biggest domestic live-action “directed by a woman” grosser ever. It will still best Fatal Attraction‘s $156m 1987 cume for the biggest “sex movie” ever in America and even adjusted for inflation will come in under only Fatal Attraction, Basic Instinct, and Indecent Proposal. Maybe Universal should hire Michael Douglas to play Christian’s father in the sequel.
Source

• 2 weeks later...

Fifty Shades of Grey movie banned in India despite censored sex scenes
Fifty Shades of Grey has been banned in India.
Universal Pictures had submitted a censored version of the film in order to get the approval of India's Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC).

50 Shades of Grey

The edited version of the film featured no nudity and softer sex scenes, according to Variety.
However, the CBFC objected to some of the language used in the film and opted not to approve its release. 
The film has also been banned in Malaysia, Indonesia, Kenya, UAE, Cambodia, Papua New Guinea and the North Caucasus region of Russia.
The film was handed an 18 rating in the UK and an R rating in the USA, while the French film board gave it a 12 certificate.
Source

Archived