[Drama 2015] Shine or Go Crazy 빛나거나 미치거나

ChelseaS

The problem is the real King played by Jang Hyuk was an insane tyrant who killed virtually all of his relatives as well as most of his enemies.

That story was made into 2 KBS historical dramas which are relatively unknown in the West.

He only had one son thru his real queen, who is not the heroine of this drama, and that one son also had only one son who was homosexual and was later deposed and killed, ending that King's bloodline.

the King's love rival's son would succeed the throne. That story is something worth telling in its own right; the love rival never married but had a tryst with a widowed queen, the daughter-in-law of the King depicted in this drama, and produced what would be the only survivor of the Koryeo dynasty who became the king after the homosexual monarch was deposed.

Guest Kdrama-lover

Interesting topic about Kim Ji Hoon., I like him also after watching Pick the Stars and went straight to his other works sans Empress Chun Chu as it was a 78-episode saguek.. Here's wishing, too coz he is a great actor also; but he may need a break after finishing Come, Jang Bo Ri ;) . Well hopefully he'd collaborate with Jang Hyuk sometime soon!, bet it's gonna be so awesome!

January, 2015 pleaseeeeee come sooner coz I'm soooo excited to watch Shine or Go Crazy! Whaiting! :-bd

Guest jhusili

Hello Everyone! 
This is my first time on Soompi & I'm here because I was told this is one place where I can display my uncontrollable whackadoodle love for Oppa and still be accepted and embraced. That I can squee and spazz without feeling like a fool. Is this true? If so, yay! & hugs to you all!
Am so thrilled that Oppa's signed on and will be doing this show. And although I know nothing about OYH she's got cool lips, and that's a must if you want to be paired against Mr Poutster, our ultimate sexy-lipped Oppa. Plus I lovelovelove what I saw of Ryu Seung-soo in Mixed-up Investigative Agency. He was just the kind of ultra dorky that I adore. But I guess all these people will be different from how I'm used to seeing them. This will be exciting!
Err that's it. Good to be here!
Let's keep Oppa Love alive! <3

Guest Kdrama-lover

Hello Everyone! 

This is my first time on Soompi & I'm here because I was told this is one place where I can display my uncontrollable whackadoodle love for Oppa and still be accepted and embraced. That I can squee and spazz without feeling like a fool. Is this true? If so, yay! & hugs to you all!

Am so thrilled that Oppa's signed on and will be doing this show. And although I know nothing about OYH she's got cool lips, and that's a must if you want to be paired against Mr Poutster, our ultimate sexy-lipped Oppa. Plus I lovelovelove what I saw of Ryu Seung-soo in Mixed-up Investigative Agency. He was just the kind of ultra dorky that I adore. But I guess all these people will be different from how I'm used to seeing them. This will be exciting!

Err that's it. Good to be here!

Let's keep Oppa Love alive! <3

>:D< WELCOME to the thread, @jhusili‌ ! :-bd yup!, this the place be to bond with JH fans! Feel free to spazz; let's Shine or Go Crazy over and over again! :D;) \:D/ :x =)) :\"> :P

Guest jhusili

@Kdrama-lover
Awww. Thanks for such a warm welcome. I kind of regret having missed the awesomeness on Soompi Fated thread during its run. I was told it was a ball. I do, however, want to be part of this right from the beginning. Don't want to miss out on any more fun. 
You help me out with the shining part. The kuh-rayyyzzee bit, I do a pretty good job of on my own. :P

Guest jhusili

@yoeda Lol. Yep that must be me. :D So I lived the secret life of a k-drama addict for a long, long time. Then one day the Oppa Tornado hit me & brought me out of my drama closet. And well...now I'm everywhere and a complete nuisance because I can't get enough of Oppa and can't give enough of him to others. Which brings me here. Which is quite...perfect actually.
I love all this fanart though. How cute are those Little Oppas you have below your comment. Will die of all the cute. Gah. :P

Guest rintintintin

HAHAHA! I thought I'm watching Medical Top Team again bec. of OYS but it's not! When i saw the title itself, I feel that I'm watching cartoons there. Sorry for the OT but how about Im Joo hwan? Was he included on this drama??? I can't wait on this but I'm happy when JH is in on this drama. :D

Oh yeon seo.... And hyukkie :x . Big fan of her and working with such great actors (esp JangHyuk)  will definitely benefit her acting skill. Glad hat she will be smart and full of tactic in this one (  i still won't forget the amazing chemistry btw her and kim ji hoon though). I love the pd works but anyone know who will be the writer?

Honey Lee courted to be Jang Hyuk’s queen in Shine or Go Crazyby girlfriday | November 10, 2014 | 15 Comments

I never really thought twice about Honey Lee until her current role in the comically ridiculous rockers-on-the-homestead drama Modern Farmer, but I have so much love for actresses who are willing to put aside their vanity for comedy, which is what she’s doing to great effect. It’s why I’m not necessarily happy that she might go back to darker roles in her next project, since she’s considering MBC’s next Monday-Tuesday drama, Shine or Go Crazy. Okay, so the role also calls for her to marry Jang Hyuk (Fated To Love You)… so maybe the answer is, Who cares about the other stuff when you get to marry Jang Hyuk?

The fantasy historical drama is set in early Goryeo, and is based on real-life historical figures, but drawn with broad, fanciful strokes. Jang Hyuk plays Wang So, son of King Taejo, who founded the Goryeo dynasty. Wang So will eventually be the fourth king of the nation (later known as King Gwangjong), but we’ll meet him as a prince with a dark curse hanging over him, predicting the destruction of the country at his hands.

Oh Yeon-seo (Jang Bori Is Here) has been cast as his great love, and she’s the last princess of Balhae, a dying nation at the time of the story. Their star-crossed love story is represented in the title, since she’s literally the light that keeps him from going crazy. Co-starring are Ryu Seung-soo (Wonderful Season) and Im Joo-hwan (Watch Out For Fools).

Honey Lee is being courted to play Jang Hyuk’s queen, his half-sister princess. Wait, he marries his half-sister? Sigh, royals. This part is accurate historically, since Gwangjong was married to his half-sister Queen Daemok. Her character is described as the prettiest woman in the entire country, and she’s also bright, cool-headed, and knows how to make poison. Hm, doesn’t that seem like a dangerous skill to give your second lead?

After being married to the hero, she’ll pour all her effort into winning his love, which of course puts her at odds with the Balhae princess. She’s an ambitious woman who will become the heroine’s greatest foe. It’s the kind of role Honey Lee has done more of in her past dramas, and while I do get why people keep casting her as the femme fatale, I hope more rom-coms are in her future too.

Shine or Go Crazy follows Pride and Prejudice in January.

cr and more: Dramabeans

Something which has to be mentioned here is that at that time Koryo dynasty practiced incest among the royal family.

King Wang Gun, the founder of Koryo, had at least 25 sons and unknown number of daughters. The central character of this drama, Wang Soh (Kwangjong), married his half sister as mentioned above. He only had one son with her named Wang Joo.

Now, Wang Joo would marry two of the daughters of his mother's brother Wang Wook. He would produce only one child with the older of his cousin-wives( who would be later known as Queen Chunchoo), Wang Song, who was homosexual and later killed.

The love rival of the King in this drama, confusingly named Wang Wook as well, would later have a tryst with the younger of Wang Joo's wives (therefore Wang Soh's daughter-in-law, who is as well as a niece of Wang Soh as well as a niece of himself!) and produced Wang Soon, who is both the great-grandson and grandson of the Koryo Founder Wang Gun.

By that time Wang Soh had killed off all of Wang Gun's sons (Soh's half brothers). Only the two Wang Wooks were spared because one was his bro-in-law and the other , the love rival, was a grandson of the old Silla dynasty and killing him would alienate the still-powerful supporters of the old dynasty.

So, by the time the homosexual (and therefore heirless) Wang Song became King, Wang Soon was the only remaining descendant of the Koryo dynasty and I already mentioned his fate above:

>the King's love rival's son would succeed the throne. That story is something worth telling in its own right; the love rival never married but had a tryst with a widowed queen, the daughter-in-law of the King depicted in this drama, and produced what would be the only survivor of the Koryeo dynasty who became the king after the homosexual monarch was deposed.

Unlike the drama in 2009 Queen Chunchu, the mother of the gay monarch, tried to kill Wang Soon and put her illegit son with a lover to the throne. However that plan did not fan out and Wang Soon became the new king after the monarch and his illegit brother were killed by those who put him to the throne. Kim Jihoon had played the Wang Soon character.

So in the end, the love rival had the last laugh, since the hero's line died out and the rival's line would succeed to the throne.