[Mainland Chinese Drama 2015] Nirvana in Fire 琅琊榜

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many that will watch this drama are Hu Ge's fans. But I will watch this drama because of the production company behind it. Now, something about the production company, in case anyone is interested lik

For western viewers who are not familiar with Chinese history, it's difficult to understand the political part and power relationship between characters of this TV show. But Chinese viewers can easily

I love this drama. Hu Ge and Liu Tao looks great together! I hope they will make another one in the future but in a romance series. This is a deep, touching, and sad storyline. Very heartfelt! I cried

News article that gave an update on the 2nd series: http://www.chinatimes.com/realtimenews/20160809008438-260404

To sum up the important stuff, the script for the spinoff/2nd season is still being written (by the same writer :D) so whether all the original actors will be present in the spinoff is still uncertain. But for sure, Prince Jing will have a part in it. An official press release/announcement will be made when the script is done and things are more certain. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

hello...im a fan of NIF, i heard there will be a sequel with overall new cast and today they announce the context of NIF 2 and the actors that will be involved, Some dedicated fan from tumblr has the content translated

tumblr_ofr8int6rw1rsjs4ao2_r1_540.jpg

Updates on Nirvana in Fire 2 28th Oct 2016

Context: 

• 50 years after events of Nirvana in Fire. 
  • Mei Chang Su, Xiao Jing Yan and most of the people in Nirvana in Fire have already mostly passed away.
  • Xiao Ting Sheng is the head of the House of Chang Lin and the story will involve his two sons and his daughter-in-law. This makes Meng Zhi a distant relative of Xiao Jing Yan through marriage since his niece is Jing Yan’s granddaughter-in-law.
  • I wonder if the Emperor is the little kid who was close to and played with Xiao Ting Sheng in the final scenes of Nirvana in Fire. Highly possible given that he is the first true son of Jing Yan (Ting Sheng is adopted) and from Ms Liu, who was made the empress.
  • We can assume that Empress Xun and Pu Yang Ying are relatively on the antagonistic side of things. Why do men of the Xiao family (bar Jing Yan, ex Crown Prince Jing Xuan, Ting Sheng and Ping Zhang) have evil wives lol. But one does realise that only the good men of the Xiao family have good wives, no? Is it a deliberate running theme in the story, or a mere coincidence?
  • Xiao Yuan Qi is a wildcard in that he is a relative of the imperial household and has the surname Xiao, but nothing else is revealed yet.
  • The publicity seems to focus on Huang Xiao Ming, Tong Li Ya and Liu Hao Ran, which probably means that the story will revolve around the House of Chang Lin. Interestingly, Ping Zhang is already married, so the story seems to be in keeping with the less-romance-focused storytelling in NiF.

credit to: http://the50-person.tumblr.com/post/152427102703/the50-person-updates-on-nirvana-in-fire-2-28th

tumblr_ofqwbaqndR1rsjs4ao1_1280.jpg

i really hope the new sequel can liven up to the expectation and someone with kind heart will subbed it :sweat_smile:

credit to :http://the50-person.tumblr.com/

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I watched this drama in like two days. To me it was simply brilliant. The political plots and relationships were extremely interesting to me. Although it's become one of my favorite drama, my heart ached so much that Mei Chang Su or rather, Lin Shu's brilliant future was robbed by those old scheming men along with the 70,000 souls in the Blaze army and Prince Qi and his family.

I really empathized with everyone who loved Mei Chang Su... he is such an amazing character to me and the actor played him so well. I must admit I cried a lot when the princess, Consort Jing and Prince Jing found out who he really was. The actors really delivered to the point that I was literally bawling with them when they discovered his identity. And no matter how many times I see their scenes of revelation, my heart still breaks for them. 

The political debates and imperial court matters were extremely interesting. Well, even the harem was right up there. However, I found Chang Su's debate with the emperor the most powerful at the end when they were alone and discussing re-trying the treason case. I didn't even realize he was Lin Shu's uncle until that moment. That clarified the grandmother scene from much earlier in the season for me. I wasn't sure how he was related to her until the latter episodes. 

All in all, a fascinating and bittersweet drama. 

• Like 2
On 1/3/2016 at 7:10 PM, CKV27 said:

I love this drama. Hu Ge and Liu Tao looks great together! I hope they will make another one in the future but in a romance series. This is a deep, touching, and sad storyline. Very heartfelt! I cried every time the song the wind blows comes on especially with Hu Ge and Liu Tao parts. This is my fav series to end the year with. Love it! Love it!  I love all the casts. They're all great actors! 

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Even though I felt he would die at the very end, my heart still broke when it happened. As to Princess Nihaung, even though he wants her to find someone else in the future I have to wonder how he expects her to settle for less after meeting such an exceptional man. When she cried so much in episode 12 upon discovering his identity, it felt like she was releasing all the pain of the past 12 years. My heart felt like it was breaking seeing her cry like that. I think the actress did a marvelous job in portraying the deep loss and love the princess probably felt over the years.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Even though I felt he would die at the very end, my heart still broke when it happened. As to Princess Nihaung, even though he wants her to find someone else in the future I have to wonder how he expects her to settle for less after meeting such an exceptional man. When she cried so much in episode 12 upon discovering his identity, it felt like she was releasing all the pain of the past 12 years. My heart felt like it was breaking seeing her cry like that. I think the actress did a marvelous job in portraying the deep loss and love the princess probably felt over the years.

This couple has not that many scenes together but each time they are together, the chemistry between them is so good, even when they are just talking about ordinary stuff! I loved and cried in that scene where Ni Huang explained to Fei Liu why she would always support and obey Lin Shu Ge Ge's decisions and heart wishes. 

1 hour ago, ross27 said:

This couple has not that many scenes together but each time they are together, the chemistry between them is so good, even when they are just talking about ordinary stuff! I loved and cried in that scene where Ni Huang explained to Fei Liu why she would always support and obey Lin Shu Ge Ge's decisions and heart wishes. 

Oh, yes, I enjoyed all their scenes together even though they were so few. Still, despite that, I understood the depth of their love. I also loved it when she explained to Fei Lui about supporting his decision to go to war. I liked the contrast between this scene and Lin Shu's scene with Prince Jing who was begging him not to go because he had no idea of the pain he (Jing) and Ni Huang endured the past 13 years because they thought he was dead.

I felt so sad for Lin Shu when he first saw Ni Huang at the entrance to the Jinling city and she began sword fighting with his two friends. When he closed back the curtain after observing her, the expression on his face gave me the impression that he was trying to shut out the old memories because here she appeared so vibrant and full of life and the future they once dreamed of was no longer possible. I'm sure that her sword fighting also reminded him of the times they practiced together.

Another scene I love is when the grandmother called them before her and she placed their hands on top each other and she was asking them about their engagement and when she let go of their hands and Ni Huang was about to remove her hand from his, he grabbed onto her hand. I thought that action was impulsive without him even realizing what he was doing. 

I also liked his explanation to Sister Xia Dong about his view of Ni Huang. He said that the man worthy of her should be passionate and intelligent...basically an outstanding man. But I think the most touching part of that scene for me was the look he had on his face after Xia Dong left. It seemed to me like a remorseful expression because like he said, he would not approach Ni Huang because his days were numbered and he didn't want to be a burden to anyone. In a later episode, when he was going to reveal to Ni Huang that he was Lin Shu, I remembered just before doing so he told his attendant that Ni Huang is unlike anyone else to him. I thought that was so sweet.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Oh, yes, I enjoyed all their scenes together even though they were so few. Still, despite that, I understood the depth of their love. I also loved it when she explained to Fei Lui about supporting his decision to go to war. I liked the contrast between this scene and Lin Shu's scene with Prince Jing who was begging him not to go because he had no idea of the pain he (Jing) and Ni Huang endured the past 13 years because they thought he was dead.

I felt so sad for Lin Shu when he first saw Ni Huang at the entrance to the Jinling city and she began sword fighting with his two friends. When he closed back the curtain after observing her, the expression on his face gave me the impression that he was trying to shut out the old memories because here she appeared so vibrant and full of life and the future they once dreamed of was no longer possible. I'm sure that her sword fighting also reminded him of the times they practiced together.

Another scene I love is when the grandmother called them before her and she placed their hands on top each other and she was asking them about their engagement and when she let go of their hands and Ni Huang was about to remove her hand from his, he grabbed onto her hand. I thought that action was impulsive without him even realizing what he was doing. 

I also liked his explanation to Sister Xia Dong about his view of Ni Huang. He said that the man worthy of her should be passionate and intelligent...basically an outstanding man. But I think the most touching part of that scene for me was the look he had on his face after Xia Dong left. It seemed to me like a remorseful expression because like he said, he would not approach Ni Huang because his days were numbered and he didn't want to be a burden to anyone. In a later episode, when he was going to reveal to Ni Huang that he was Lin Shu, I remembered just before doing so he told his attendant that Ni Huang is unlike anyone else to him. I thought that was so sweet.

Agree, agree, agree..all these scenes were touching and yes I also like it very much that he told his attendant that NH is unlike anyone else to him. Lady Jing (Prince Jing's mother) told Ni Huang when NH was so worried about Lin Shu's health that NH is the closest person to LS now (as he has lost his family) and that just as she does not want to cause him pain or hurt him in anyway by asking about his health condition/past, he too does not want to hurt her or cause her pain due to what he has suffered.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ross27 said:

Agree, agree, agree..all these scenes were touching and yes I also like it very much that he told his attendant that NH is unlike anyone else to him. Lady Jing (Prince Jing's mother) told Ni Huang when NH was so worried about Lin Shu's health that NH is the closest person to LS now (as he has lost his family) and that just as she does not want to cause him pain or hurt him in anyway by asking about his health condition/past, he too does not want to hurt her or cause her pain due to what he has suffered.

Yes, I remembered that scene too. Just before that scene when Lin Shu collapsed, he urged them not to tell Ni Huang but as the next scenes showed, she found out and respected his privacy by going to Consort Jing instead. To be honest, when I finished this drama it pierced my heart because the past injustice took away such a brilliant person, full of potential, from that world. It was very painful to think about all the friends and the lover he left behind to mourn him. Not to mention all this happened when he was so young so it felt even more hurtful. When he was encouraging Xia Dong to convince Ni Huang to marry in the future, even Xia Dong was crying in that scene because she knew it meant he was dying and her friend would have to experience the separation again but this time final and without any doubts.

One thing I couldn't pinpoint is when Ni Huang began to suspect that he was Lin Shu.

• Like 2
On 11/29/2016 at 7:01 PM, celebrianna said:

Yes, I remembered that scene too. Just before that scene when Lin Shu collapsed, he urged them not to tell Ni Huang but as the next scenes showed, she found out and respected his privacy by going to Consort Jing instead. To be honest, when I finished this drama it pierced my heart because the past injustice took away such a brilliant person, full of potential, from that world. It was very painful to think about all the friends and the lover he left behind to mourn him. Not to mention all this happened when he was so young so it felt even more hurtful. When he was encouraging Xia Dong to convince Ni Huang to marry in the future, even Xia Dong was crying in that scene because she knew it meant he was dying and her friend would have to experience the separation again but this time final and without any doubts.

One thing I couldn't pinpoint is when Ni Huang began to suspect that he was Lin Shu.

Good question. I can't pin point the exact time too. She said it was woman's intuition. It must have come by gradually. When she first learnt that he was Mei Chang Shu, it reminded her of his assistance in sending his trusted man to help/reveal a battle strategy for one of her most difficult battles. She felt he was familiar, that she somehow could trust him, that he was the one behind saving her from losing her virtue/forced to marry the man from the crown prince camp. From then on she tested him - at the garden to view a possible house, checking his current written words with those he had sent her long ago, culminating at the pavilion encounter where she confronted him and broke down emotionally. So happy that he was still alive, and so sad that he had suffered so much and there was no possibility of him being Lin Shu again.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, ross27 said:

Good question. I can't pin point the exact time too. She said it was woman's intuition. It must have come by gradually. When she first learnt that he was Mei Chang Shu, it reminded her of his assistance in sending his trusted man to help/reveal a battle strategy for one of her most difficult battles. She felt he was familiar, that she somehow could trust him, that he was the one behind saving her from losing her virtue/forced to marry the man from the crown prince camp. From then on she tested him - at the garden to view a possible house, checking his current written words with those he had sent her long ago, culminating at the pavilion encounter where she confronted him and broke down emotionally. So happy that he was still alive, and so sad that he had suffered so much and there was no possibility of him being Lin Shu again.

Thanks. That seems like the logical progression that she took along with her intuition. It seems like she suspected Wei Zheng? might be from the Blaze army because she had her elite trackers follow him back to the east after he helped them destroy the chained battleships. She probably stopped thinking about it until Mei Chang Su showed up. I also wondered if the great grandmother recognizing him as Lin Shu also put her on alert.

About the carnal oil that was used on Princess Supreme, I am really confused how it ties into Jing Rui's story. The princess must have already been pregnant with him when the carnal oil was given to her to compromise her into marrying the Marque? Also, who was that empress who gave her the drink? Someone from the past? 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Thanks. That seems like the logical progression that she took along with her intuition. It seems like she suspected Wei Zheng? might be from the Blaze army because she had her elite trackers follow him back to the east after he helped them destroy the chained battleships. She probably stopped thinking about it until Mei Chang Su showed up. I also wondered if the great grandmother recognizing him as Lin Shu also put her on alert.

About the carnal oil that was used on Princess Supreme, I am really confused how it ties into Jing Rui's story. The princess must have already been pregnant with him when the carnal oil was given to her to compromise her into marrying the Marque? Also, who was that empress who gave her the drink? Someone from the past? 

Princess Supreme was already pregnant with Jing Rui when her mother, the Empress made her drink the carnal oil (I didn't know it's called carnal oil, I thought it is a kind of wine) so that she would mistaken the marquis as her lover and hence forced her to marry him.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, ross27 said:

Princess Supreme was already pregnant with Jing Rui when her mother, the Empress made her drink the carnal oil (I didn't know it's called carnal oil, I thought it is a kind of wine) so that she would mistaken the marquis as her lover and hence forced her to marry him.

That's so icky. Oh well it seemed like she made her peace with it over the years.

Regarding Nihaung, since her brother inherited the title, wouldn't he be the one who would eventually take over the army? So if he is the heir, why was it necessary for her to marry into the capital so that her husband would gain the power of the army? I didn't quite get it since she doesn't inherit the title. The king really doesn't trust anyone. He feared the Blaze army and now felt threatened by he Mu's army. The funny thing is his beloved son schooled him on true rebellion and NiHaung is the one that showed up to their rescue after they were getting overwhelmed by the surroundings army of Prince Yu.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, celebrianna said:

That's so icky. Oh well it seemed like she made her peace with it over the years.

Regarding Nihaung, since her brother inherited the title, wouldn't he be the one who would eventually take over the army? So if he is the heir, why was it necessary for her to marry into the capital so that her husband would gain the power of the army? I didn't quite get it since she doesn't inherit the title. The king really doesn't trust anyone. He feared the Blaze army and now felt threatened by he Mu's army. The funny thing is his beloved son schooled him on true rebellion and NiHaung is the one that showed up to their rescue after they were getting overwhelmed by the surroundings army of Prince Yu.

It's ironical, isn't it that Prince Jing, Lin Shu (as Mei Chang Shu) and Ni Huang were the ones to rescue the King during Prince Yu's coup! 

Although Ni Huang's brother inherited the title upon coming of age, she had held the rein for 10 years and was much respected by her own army and feared by the enemies. The King, who did not trust anyone and was always suspicious of everybody, would want her married into the capital to reduce her power base. Remember, he told his eunuch that Ni Huang has been too long in her home town (meaning too powerful) and that he would want her in the capital longer instead of allowing her to return home. That was after she had defeated all her suitors and politely apologised to the King for not being able to find a suitable marriage partner.

• Like 3

For western viewers who are not familiar with Chinese history, it's difficult to understand the political part and power relationship between characters of this TV show. But Chinese viewers can easily follow the logic and pieces the whole picture together even some information is half-revealed or missing. I'd like to provide some background knowledge here to help better understand the connotation of this show.

3 names of the Male Lead

It may be very confusing to fans that why the male lead(played by Hu Ge) has 2 identities but 3 names.  Here is why. 

Originally the boy's name is Lin Shu(林殊). His mother is the emperor's sister Princess Jinyang(晋阳). The emperor has two sisters, Princess Jinyang(晋阳) and Princess Liyang(莅阳), which is also the wife of Xie Yu. His father is the General Lin Xie(林燮), who directly commands an army of 70,000, aka the Red Flame Army, one of the strongest military force in the Liang Dynasty. His aunt Lin Yueyao(林乐瑶) is the emperor's favorite Noble Consort, who gave birth to Xiao Jingyu(萧景禹),Prince Qi, the eldest son. Since the empress's son died of plague in infancy. Xiao Jingyu is the natural choice of the throne.  But after his birth, his mother's health was not well. So the Lin Family sent their adoptive sister, who was once a medical girl, into the palace to take care of her. Later, the medical girl became the emperor's concubine, too and gave birth to Xiao Jingyan(萧景琰), the unfavored Prince Jing. 萧景禹 and 萧景琰 are half brothers and they are both Lin Shu's cousins.  It's just that 萧景禹 is much older.  So Lin Shu comes from a family that was extremely noble by blood and strong in politics and military. His parents have high hopes of him. In fact, his given name means "outstanding, excellent", and indeed he is an such boy and has a bright future before him.  林殊 and 萧景琰 grew up together, believing that one day they will assist the future emperor 萧景禹 ruling this country. 

Ever since Xiao Jingyu(萧景禹) became the crown prince, he has plan to make reforms, but reform means they have to violate vested  interest groups. Some people in the court want to uproot Xiao Jingyu, but with Lin family supporting him, they can't do that, unless the Lin family is gone and the Red Flame Army with it. They used the emperor's paranoroia and prejudice. Thus everything was changed in the battle of Plum Ridge. After the Red Flame Army defeated invading enemies from Yu Dynasty, they were attacked by their own people at their weakest moment and was wiped out. Xiao Jingyu was accused of conspiring against his father. 萧景禹 and his mother 林乐瑶 were put to death.  Knowing her husband and son dead in Plum Ridge, Princess Jinyang(晋阳) lost all hope and committed suicide. The only survivers are the medical girl concubine and her son Xiao Jingyan.

林殊 barely escaped death, nobody knows he is still alive. He has to change his identity and take a new name. But he has his own ways of remembering his sufferings. 林殊 was last seen in the battle of Plum ridge. It's practically 梅岭(The Plum Ridge)(hides) (Shu). He played a game of pronunciations. The words [cang]and [chang] are a pair of level and cacuminal consonants, same as the words [shu]and [su]. Hence, the conniving and vengeful strategist standing before us has the name 梅长苏. Not a single day has passed that he wasn't remembering who he really is.

The third name 苏哲 is a tactic and a cover-up for 梅长苏. The name 苏哲 is a typical scholar name. When he  arrives at the capital, he claims his name is 苏哲, a sick scholar.  But on purpose, he let people of both the crown prince and prince Yu camps know that his real name is 梅长苏, the one strategist recommended by Langya Hall that can help a prince ascending the throne. It will just make both camps want him even more.  When people know  苏哲 is 梅长苏, they won't ask further who exactly 梅长苏 is.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1