[Mainland Chinese Drama 2015] Nirvana in Fire 琅琊榜

sugarplum892

There is a "Special"  for Nirvana, watched part 1, at Mt Lang Ya xiao fei liu was learning to make tea, one cup was being passed to a mysterious hand sticking out without showing the body ( would that be LS)?

Special? WHERE??!??!?! As in an entire whole episode? or a snippet

If it's the snippet, then that was originally going to be added by the production team, but they decided to cut it because it didn't fit in with the rest of the drama.

• Like 2

Brilliant show. Just brilliant. Ep. 32-37... Just like watching a scam going down, a la Italian Job.

Such a good show... one of the best I've seen in recent years... in any language. Sure it's talky but the banter, the wit is just delicious. (At least the bits I do understand.) And I love the mindgames. 

The thing that fascinates me most about it is the thoughtful way in which it shows the decay of institutions on every level when built on deception. The rot sets into the foundations and corruption seeps into the edifice. All the baddies were most probably involved in that case 13 years ago and therein began the erosion of time honoured traditions. When good men lost and evil ran amok, the very best of those institutions fell into disarray. The old guard and their web of influence need to go and I think that's what Mei Chang Su is trying to dismantle bit by bit. 

Wonderful show.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 3

Guest shiuanchou

There is a "Special"  for Nirvana, watched part 1, at Mt Lang Ya xiao fei liu was learning to make tea, one cup was being passed to a mysterious hand sticking out without showing the body ( would that be LS)?

OMG, where can i see this? This is what i saw on baidu described as the ending before the drama ends, and after the drama ended, i went back to baidu, it was edited to match with the aired ending.  I was so sad to see it changed.

There's so much I want to say about the show but I just can't get over the utter brilliance of the entire storyline. It is quite easily the best thing I've seen all year and it's pretty much neck to neck with Guai Xia Yi Zhi Mei as my favourite C-drama of all time. Perhaps the superb balancing act with the myriad of characters might see it edge out YZM just a smidge. ;)

54 episodes and I didn't even feel it once. It's a pity that not more people have seen it in these parts. In fact, I wouldn't have minded if they went for another 10 episodes. It was that good. The wonderful ensemble cast who were assembled to give us a rich tapestry of characters. No real cartoon villains, just men and women with all kinds of agendas. I'm not one for hyperboles but this show was sheer pleasure from start to finish. A rare treat. 

The ending was perhaps a foregone conclusion... no real surprise and not as sad as I expected. Yes, Lin Shu left his loved ones too early but he achieved everything he set out to and he died leaving his country in better shape than what it was. It was to all intents and purposes, a triumphant exit. 

The rewatch value is remarkably high. I'll definitely be back. 

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 3

I'm a bit confused can somebody explain who is Prince Qi. So far I'm up to episode 7 slow watcher but they never really explain who Prince Qi was just that Tienshang is related to him that's why Prince Jing looks out for him when he was a prison slave

Prince Qi gets explained muuuuuuuuccccccchhhhhh later on in the drama.

He was the eldest Prince, and Crown Prince 12 years ago. He along with General Lin Xie were set up as insurgents/traitors and their entire families executed. Tingsheng's mother got taken into the servant prison.

Tingsheng is his son.

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused can somebody explain who is Prince Qi. So far I'm up to episode 7 slow watcher but they never really explain who Prince Qi was just that Tienshang is related to him that's why Prince Jing looks out for him when he was a prison slave

Hidden Content

Thank you so much! That really help me alot since while watching I'm always like who is this Prince Qi and it bothers me for some reason like in my head I'm like did I miss a scene or skip something.

So basically Prince Jing is Tingsheng's uncle that's why he looks after him.

• Like 1

Hidden Content

Thank you so much! That really help me alot since while watching I'm always like who is this Prince Qi and it bothers me for some reason like in my head I'm like did I miss a scene or skip something.

Hidden Content

Yup ^.^, well that and Prince Jing looked up to and respected Prince Qi ^.^

• Like 1

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Yup ^.^, well that and Prince Jing looked up to and respected Prince Qi ^.^

thank you for answering my question! really help clear up and not making me go crazy wondering who is who lol. for those that read the novel, did they every explain why Fei Liu is different than most?

• Like 1

I truly love this drama - I marathon through it in a speed that was unhealthy but so worth it. I love the connections between the characters, the overarching theme/big plot of revenge & restoring family name and the small intricacies and politics. I love how MCS outsmarts everyone and outsmart the tactics meant to outsmart him. 

Personally, I find a (b)romance between MCS and Prince Jing more beautiful than the romance between MCS and NiHuang. I love all the flashbacks and little touching moments. MCS suffered everything and did everything for Prince Jing; I love the "I chose you" and when he said he'd bear all the burden, bloodshed and darkness for Prince Jing. (Kind of makes me wonder if Prince Jing, who is so righteous and simpleminded can really survive the court without MCS...)

Anyway, I think the ending is perfect. A happy ending is, of course, happy, but this ending wraps it up so flawlessly. It truly is the most perfectly bittersweet ending I've ever seen in any drama or show. 

In terms of actors, Hu Ge is amazing and Wang Kai is to damn handsome. 

• Like 5

Because I'm so addicted to Nirvana In Fire, and truly missing those actors in it, I decided to watch the Disguiser which so many of the main characters in it.  I just did an unhealthy marathon and am now truly satisfied...  Great acting.  Truly great team of actors and I love them all.  Going to Watch NIF again since I want more of the Disguiser now. lol  THis is such a vicious cycle.

• Like 2

Because I'm so addicted to Nirvana In Fire, and truly missing those actors in it, I decided to watch the Disguiser which so many of the main characters in it.  I just did an unhealthy marathon and am now truly satisfied...  Great acting.  Truly great team of actors and I love them all.  Going to Watch NIF again since I want more of the Disguiser now. lol  THis is such a vicious cycle.

I know exactly what you mean.I am unable to stop rewatching these two either and they were the cause of the only TV marathon I ever did in my life. I need more shows like this! If you're a fan of Wang Kai (like I am) I recommend this one: 新神探联盟.

• Like 2

LOL. I'm trying to avoid The Disguiser until I go on leave in December. Marathoning Lang Ya Bang was bad enough. I think I did some major damage to our internet allowance two weekends ago. :lol:

That Wang Kai is quite ubiquitous at the moment. I notice that he's in that Wallace Huo drama, which looks like a I Remember You remake. But I'm going to wait until that one finishes airing before taking the plunge. 

Anyway, I'm taking my time to rewatch LYB. The show doesn't get old... and every drama I've watched this year seems to pale into ordinariness after it. It's wonderful in the big picture and wonderful in the details. I really wish they had kept the original title in English or called it The List at the very least. I rather liked that MCS had his rather extensive collection of name plaques that he'd throw into his brazier from time to time. Loved the crackling sound of burnt wood portending the doom of some corrupt official.

I truly love this drama - I marathon through it in a speed that was unhealthy but so worth it. I love the connections between the characters, the overarching theme/big plot of revenge & restoring family name and the small intricacies and politics. I love how MCS outsmarts everyone and outsmart the tactics meant to outsmart him. 

Personally, I find a (b)romance between MCS and Prince Jing more beautiful than the romance between MCS and NiHuang. I love all the flashbacks and little touching moments. MCS suffered everything and did everything for Prince Jing; I love the "I chose you" and when he said he'd bear all the burden, bloodshed and darkness for Prince Jing. (Kind of makes me wonder if Prince Jing, who is so righteous and simpleminded can really survive the court without MCS...)

Anyway, I think the ending is perfect. A happy ending is, of course, happy, but this ending wraps it up so flawlessly. It truly is the most perfectly bittersweet ending I've ever seen in any drama or show. 

In terms of actors, Hu Ge is amazing and Wang Kai is to damn handsome. 

My favourite arc has to be when MCS takes down Xia Jiang and Prince Yu. It was gloriously beautiful in its execution. Not only because he undid the damage that they did, he used the very tactic that they used to create a rift between him and Jingyan and turned it against the original instigators. I can watch that arc with happy abandon over and over again.

I think one of the real surprises... dark horses in this show... is Yujing. Despite his sometimes boyish frivolous demeanour, there's something very perceptive about him. He certainly has more wit and intelligence than first meets the eye.

The show was right to focus on all the male relationships. Not just between Jingyan and MCS but also the relationships that MCS has with Feiliu, Meng Zi, Jingrui, Yujing and his two attendants. So brilliantly done. Even as MCS, Lin Shu continues to command the love and loyalty of the people around him. 

I too enjoyed how the Emperor was written. What a complex and deeply flawed character. In more ways than one he was the architect of the destruction of his own family. He allowed himself to be used and manipulated. Ironically, the Jingyan that he didn't have much time for was insulated from his corrupting influence. I loved that scene when he finally comes face to face with Lin Shu and declares to him that the throne changes people. It's an interesting statement. ;) But I don't believe the throne changes people, I think it reveals what is already there and amplifies it many times over.

I don't think MCS destroyed the court. The rot had already set in a long time ago but he tore off the layers of corruption that had already undermined much of the superstructure.

• Like 1