[Mainland Chinese Drama 2015] Nirvana in Fire 琅琊榜

sugarplum892

Wonderfulmomo, thanks for the explanation. I got most of that from watching the show except for the meaning of the names. What I also couldn't figure out is how Prince Q's mother was related to Lin Shu. It also occurred to me yesterday that Lin Shu is also related to Jing Rui through his aunt Liyang. It's good to know about Lin Shu's suffering over the years. It just provided him with more motivation and discipline to come back to carry out his plans.

The way the drama portrays Mei Chang Su, I never thought of it as him executing his revenge. I saw it more as him bringing justice for his family by exposing the deeds of corrupt officials and cleaning up the court and getting Prince Jing on the throne to redress the lie of the Blaze army rebellion. I just can't see it as revenge when all he did was expose their evil deeds or their rotten sense of morality. I mean, who can sleep at night after slaying 70,000 innocent lives? Those people were morally depraved.

Ross22, thanks for the explanation. I wasn't ignoring Lin Shu and Prince Jing's rescue of the king. :) I loved when Prince Jing handed him back his seal. It was an awesome moment. Anyway, I was just trying to point out that the king was wary of NiHaung and yet she showed up to help save him. I wonder if that's enough to prove her loyalty to him. I am also just glad that NiHaung escaped the king's personal agenda. The funny thing is all we saw were lame suitors except for Jing Rui, whom I like. Regarding Jing Rui, is he an heir to the throne in the southern country that the Mu army defends against? I mean, I know he is royalty from the south but he just might decide to live in Jinling instead with his mother.

I also heard that NiHaung and her brother are not really related to the emperor but her house was granted the title of Prince from years of service to the emperor. Is that the case? 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this gem!  I think it is one of the best things I've seen in years, great writing, production, acting, cinematography, just head and shoulders better than most anything else out there right now.  I can't wait for sequels!

One thing I've come to love is how sparely this story was told and yet nothing was left out and as a westerner I had no problem following the tale, it was so very very well told.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Just finished this drama... disappointed at the ending.. Princess Ni Huang should have more screen time but somehow, there is none to talk about. Ha...

Still having a withdrawal of the drama, so decided to start on The Disguiser... wow, reviewers are not kidding when they said both dramas have almost the same actors!

• Like 2

Stories of the last generation

Nirvana in Fire has an complicated backstory of about the last generation. Pieces were showed in character's accounts or flashbacks. They were outshone by the present story of Mei Changsu's journey. But a careful rundown centering around the Emperor's life followed by timeline would tell you that story of last generation is as dramatically sad as the present one.

At first there are 3 good friends. Xiao Xuan(The present emperor), Lin Xie(Lin Shu's father) and Yan Que(Marquis Yan, Yan Yujin's father). One is from the royal family. The other two are from noble families. They grow up together and study politics and military tactics and have dreams of making the Liang Dynasty greater than ever.  All of them have sisters. Lin Xie and Yan Que stand at the Xiao Xuan's side. It's just that they don't know the true colors of their friend.

In Episode 53 the court hall confrontation, when the emperor challenges Mei Changsu to speak in the court hall after everyone has spoken to second the proposal of reopening the Red Flame Army's case, Mei Changsu doesn't comment anything happening at that moment. Instead, he tells a story of the past, because he wants everyone at present to know what an ungrateful person the emperor was.

It all dated back to 景运 26th year. 景运 is the name of reign year. When an emperor ascends throne,  he usually coins a new name for that year, marking the beginning of his reign. So 景运 26th year means the 26th year of the last emperor's reign. The present emperor was a prince back then. He was framed and his life was hanged in balance. It was his best friend Lin Xie risked his own life and found evidence back to prove to the late emperor that his friend was innocent and saved his life. In 景运 29th year, the Riot of Five Princes created a bloodbath at the capital. Lin Xie was a general at the City Guards. He lead 300 cavalry soldiers runing into the Forbidden Army's camp and eventually secured the throne for his friend. In Episode 47, Mei Changsu mentioned after Prince Yu's rebellion that the emperor met two rebellions in his lifetime. The first time, he was the starter and won the throne. The second time, he doesn't even knows what he wins. Then the questions come: Who framed Xiao Xuan in  景运 26th year? Why would righteous persons like Lin Xie and Yan Que follow Xiao Xuan to start a rebellion in 景运 29th year and they didn't feel remorse about conspiring against the throne?

If you put all these account together and think hard, the most likely picture would be this:  Last generation competion for the throne was extremely fierce. Seeing how Prince Yu frames the Crown Prince and Prince Jing, the one that framed Xiao Xuan in  景运 26th year was very likely one of his brothers or several. Lin Xie and Yan Que knew this and supported him because they believe he is the best choice for the throne and they put their hope and dream on him. In 景运 29th year, the last emperor died. (Assume an emperor ascends the throne at the age of 30, his reign will last at most 25 to 30 years. Seldom emperors in Chinese history can live to 70 years.) It was controversial who should be the next emperor. Lin Xie and Yan Que followed Xiao Xuan to start a rebellion not only because they believed he would make a good emperor, but also because if they lost, all 3 of them and their families would die.  When Xiao Xuan ascended the throne, the other 4 princes who lost the throne competition must have been killed.

Knowing this, you will easily understand the behaviors of some characters. Prince Ji, the emperor's youngest brother, the penguin-like, music-loving, always hanging out with Yan Yujin and Mei Changsu's choice of witness. From the looks of it, he is timid, fun-enjoying. But when you relate to the past stories, you would know he is a very smart person. Being youngest brother, he avoided the Riot of Five Princes and survived. He knows his brother's nature and is smart to play dumb for so many years. Unlike his emperor brother who is lost himself in power, he enjoys wealthy life, stays away from politics and gain the emperor's trust. After the hunting place coup, the emperor even asked his opinion about making Jingyan the new crown prince. That shows how much the emperor trusted him. When he stepped out of the hall, he chatted with Mei Changsu and figured out that Mei Changsu must already chose Prince Jing as his master a long time ago.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2017 at 8:02 PM, realistic2280 said:

Just finished this drama... disappointed at the ending.. Princess Ni Huang should have more screen time but somehow, there is none to talk about. Ha...

Still having a withdrawal of the drama, so decided to start on The Disguiser... wow, reviewers are not kidding when they said both dramas have almost the same actors!

I had wished for more Ni Huang screen time too but that was not to be. Her final scene, holding Lin Shu's letter addressed to her in his original handwriting, and the tears in her eyes still makes my heart aches!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This was my first Cdrama and I am truly glad I watched it from start to finish without any skipping at all.  Of course because it  was my first C drama I didnt have any expectations... I figured it would just be unfolding all in the drama.  It sort of gave me a little understanding of some Chinese historical backstory-- though I do not know how factual they are.  I marveled at how absolutely brillian this drama was for me.  Just a few days I go I wanted to rewatch it again and I am starting to catch some of the signs I missed the first time.

This time what helped me was reading through the recaps and the thoughts throughout the episodes so I can understand it better.  I loved how MCS came subtle like the breeze, did what he set out to do, and left his an indelible mark on all who knew him-- and the rest would have never known of a young hero who's heart was so steadfast in honor and loyalty that he gave so much so that the next generation would not have to suffer such injustice.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2017 at 11:51 AM, rainmaker5 said:

This was my first Cdrama and I am truly glad I watched it from start to finish without any skipping at all.  Of course because it  was my first C drama I didnt have any expectations... I figured it would just be unfolding all in the drama.  It sort of gave me a little understanding of some Chinese historical backstory-- though I do not know how factual they are.  I marveled at how absolutely brillian this drama was for me.  Just a few days I go I wanted to rewatch it again and I am starting to catch some of the signs I missed the first time.

This time what helped me was reading through the recaps and the thoughts throughout the episodes so I can understand it better.  I loved how MCS came subtle like the breeze, did what he set out to do, and left his an indelible mark on all who knew him-- and the rest would have never known of a young hero who's heart was so steadfast in honor and loyalty that he gave so much so that the next generation would not have to suffer such injustice.

I'm certain it isn't historically factual, but NIF can't be enjoyed if you skip scenes. (A lot of Chinese dramas lend themselves to skipping scenes because they add so many pointless subplots and secondary characters to the degree that you end up getting bored because the main plot stays still while the secondary subplots move forward.) I think you picked a very good drama to watch. :)  I'm on Ep 20 now and the pacing and plotting are so tight, I can't look away even for a moment, lest I miss something critical.

• Like 2

The drama isn't based on actual historical events per se but can still be labelled historical in that it reflects many of the realities of that period. From what I heard there was really a Lang Ya Bang (list) although it wasn't a list of the top martial arts pugilists but of political figures. But the drama is supposedly set in the Liang dynasty during what is now known as Northern and Southern dynasties period. When I was watching it while it aired, all the information that I saw said that it was set during the Warring States era but the Southern Liang dynasty makes a lot more sense when one considers the family name of the rulers.

I've watched the drama about 6 times right through and it's a hallmark of a great drama when one notices new things each time one watches it. That video which @areudumborwhat posted is quite instructive on that count.

It's a deeply satisfying drama for me because everything that needs to be done and SAID is actually said and done. That doesn't happen enough for me. I love the big showdowns and confrontations. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I finished this a week back . My god what an amazing story I loved every episode. My husband is so enthralled he insisted we watch the second one. We started that one yesterday. This writing is so good,the first story was so well written and well acted too.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 11:40 PM, hyall said:

I finished this a week back . My god what an amazing story I loved every episode. My husband is so enthralled he insisted we watch the second one. We started that one yesterday. This writing is so good,the first story was so well written and well acted too.

Glad you enjoyed it. It is a great story and wonderfully executed. It blew my mind completely when I first saw it.

Come along and hang out with us in the NiF 2 thread when you've caught up. 

• 6 months later...

I can't believe I didnt watch this 3 years ago, it was awesome! NIF really lives up to its name and reputation. The lovely friendship between the characters and the storyline was well articulate and moving. I have been a fan of Hu Ge since I watched Chinese Palladin but omg I like him even more now after watching NIF. His acting has really improved, and even in The Disguiser too. I'm glad to see some cross over characters from both drama. So sad that he died!!! I guess you can't really escaped your fate even if you wanted to. Of course I wish there were more romance between Nihuang and Lin Shu, but then again the plot is about LS getting justice. Liu Tao is pretty!!! I like female character like hers, someone who is smart, kind and can fight. Highly recommend this drama!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rosierosie said:

I can't believe I didnt watch this 3 years ago, it was awesome! NIF really lives up to its name and reputation. The lovely friendship between the characters and the storyline was well articulate and moving. I have been a fan of Hu Ge since I watched Chinese Palladin but omg I like him even more now after watching NIF. His acting has really improved, and even in The Disguiser too. I'm glad to see some cross over characters from both drama. So sad that he died!!! I guess you can't really escaped your fate even if you wanted to. Of course I wish there were more romance between Nihuang and Lin Shu, but then again the plot is about LS getting justice. Liu Tao is pretty!!! I like female character like hers, someone who is smart, kind and can fight. Highly recommend this drama!

Yeah this is one of the best if not the best Chinese drama. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Yeah this is one of the best if not the best Chinese drama. 

I love Hu Ge so much after his performance in this. Now I just want Chinese drama to have similar plot or awesome plot with not so romance involved. I thought NiF was going to be a bore without the romance. But I'm so glad it doesnt focus on the romance. But, I also wouldn't mind seeing more of Nihuang and Lin Shu scenes....love them so much, bittersweet love.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rosierosie said:

I love Hu Ge so much after his performance in this. Now I just want Chinese drama to have similar plot or awesome plot with not so romance involved. I thought NiF was going to be a bore without the romance. But I'm so glad it doesnt focus on the romance. But, I also wouldn't mind seeing more of Nihuang and Lin Shu scenes....love them so much, bittersweet love.

NIF 2 has romance but still a amazing show same for the advisors alliance. 

I do agree though that no romance was needed people actually shipped the two males together. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wotad said:

NIF 2 has romance but still a amazing show same for the advisors alliance. 

I do agree though that no romance was needed people actually shipped the two males together. 

did you see NiF 2? do you recommend it? Is it the same production team and director for NiF?

1 minute ago, rosierosie said:

did you see NiF 2? do you recommend it? Is it the same production team and director for NiF?

Same writer/producer/production team,director.. pretty much everything the same.

rated 8.5 on douban.

It has romance but not the romance you see in Wuxia drama's its a more real romance. 

• Like 1