Keira Knightley Took a Girl to Prom, Was Told Her Picture Was "Disgusting," Not "Appropriate"

sugarplum892

1414517530_454968198_keira-knightley-467
Sounds like Keira Knightley's high school could have used a little more pride — and a lot less prejudice. The Laggies star, 29, recently revealed to Vulture that she faced discrimination when she took her best girl friend as her date to prom back in 2001. 
The British actress, now married to rocker James Righton, was in the middle of filming her breakout role in Bend It Like Beckham at the time, so she showed up an hour late in not-quite formal attire: leather pants and a crop top. Her pal Emily, meanwhile, was a model and had been in Paris on a photo shoot, so she arrived late as well, in ripped jeans and a black tie. 
"Everybody else was completely dressed up, obviously, in that kind of finery," the Begin Again star recalled to Vulture, noting that one of the teachers took them aside and said they "were never going to come to anything if [they] didn't know how to dress appropriately for events like that." 
Things got worse from there. "We had our picture taken underneath the thing, and she's kissing me, and we were told that that was disgusting," Knightley said.
"Our photograph...wasn't allowed — you know when you get up and, I don't know if this is in America, but you collect all the photographs of prom and you buy whatever ones you want. Ours wasn't allowed to be displayed on that because it wasn't appropriate," she told Vulture.
That wasn't the only time Knightley felt displaced. "I f---ing hated high school, so I wouldn't revert to high school ever," she said. "I don't know, I'm not that kind of gal. Teenage girls and that scream pitch, even when I was a teenage girl, I was like, 'Ugh, I really don't like this,' so that's never been my place in time."
Source

Archived