[Movie 2015] Made In China 메이드 인 차이나

ecs707a

Made In China

UXnugHv.jpg

What I would like to share with audience with this film is about Korean society, more specifically, about a capitalist society. All of us in this system hope to reach the top and obtain wealth. When such condition is fulfilled, we call this ‘success’, and through this we achieve respect from others. Desiring a ‘better life’, we risk everything to obtain this and disregard what’s important in our lives. This is often the final goal of life for most people, and they will do everything in their power to achieve it, which often creates hurdles in communication between one another. {Made in China} deals with problems of our current time: it reveals the absence of communication and the irony of capitalism. Before we had a chance to observe, China has become a global economic superpower, and our bias towards China and its citizens have created a barrier. Facing equal negligence due to clashes in our history, Korea and Japan have not maintained favorable relationship over the years. I hope, with this film, we acknowledge our neighboring countries with utmost maturity and reflect on the conditions we have set for ourselves. - Kim Dong Hoo, director

Revised romanization: meideu in chaina
Hangul: 메이드 인 차이나
Director: Kim Dong Hoo
Producer: Kim Soon Mo
Screenplay: Kim Ki Duk
Cinematographer: Lee Chun Hee
Release date: June 25, 2015 (World premiere at Tokyo International Film Festival, October 25, 2014; European premiere at International Film Festival Rotterdam, January 25, 2015)
Runtime: 100 minutes
Production company: Kim Ki-duk Films
Language: Korean

Plot
This movie uniquely deals with the subject of Chinese eels to express the introspection of humans.

Synopsis
Chinese eel farmer Chen smuggles himself into Korea to prove that his eels are safe to eat. An inspector takes pity on his desperation and tests his eels, only to discover that they are contaminated. To give him some hope, she gets him a job as a guard at a local business. But when Chen settles into his new job, he finds out the building he’s guarding is an illegal eel farm that harvests rejected batches from the inspector. Feeling betrayed, Chen takes the boss hostage and transports all the eels to a nearby lake...

Cast
Park Ki Woong - as Chen
pkw400edited_zps90ca60a0.jpg~original

Han Chae Ah - as Mi
hca400edited_zpsbbd9ddbe.jpg~original

Yoo Jae Myung
Lim Hwa Yeong
Kim Yoon Tae
Seon Hak
Hong Sang Jin

Trailer (English subbed)

Sources/additional links: Hancinema, asianwiki, daum, finecut, Tokyo International Film Festival, International Film Festival Rotterdam, Jeonju International Film Festival

Please follow the forum rules.

tempedited_zpsf6f189b9.jpg~original

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Casting news: Park Ki Woong

Park Ki-woong joins Han Chae-ah in Made In China
by javabeans | February 5, 2014

Casting finalizations are in for the Kim Ki-duk Film production Made In China, with Han Chae-ah now confirmed (having been previously considering) and Park Ki-woong joining her as leading man. Aw, Shunji and Rie, together again. (Hopefully not at each other’s throats in murderous-conflict-slash-tragic-commiseration this time around.)

Made In China seems like a quiet sort of film, taking Chinese eels as its subject matter and using them as a springboard for “introspection about humanity.” Park Ki-woong plays a man of strong convictions and masculinity named Chen, who’ll portray a “sensitive internal side” with depth. Han Chae-ah’s character works for the Korea Food and Drug Administration as a cold, level-headed inspector.

I wish we had more information to go on, other than that this is a thoughtful film about introspection, because these are two actors I really enjoy, both separately and together, and Kim Ki-duk Film is a production house that has put out some interesting projects (some of which I might not like but find, at least, interesting): Poongsan, Rough Cut, Rough Play, Red Family, and Pieta. I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for more news as it comes out.

Made In China will be directed by Kim Dong-hoo in his feature debut, and is currently in the process of casting the rest of its characters, after which it will begin filming.

source: dramabeans

Park Ki-woong to star in Kim Ki-duk's "Made In China"
2014/02/04

Actor Park Ki-woong has been cast for the main role of the movie "Made In China".

Kim Ki-duk Films' "Made In China" is the debuting product of director Kim Dong-hu and this movie delivers a message about human introspection.

Park Ki-woong stars in the movie as Chen and will co-star with Han Chae-ah. He's been analyzing his character carefully from hairstyle to concept and working hard to become Chen.

Producer Kim Soon-mo claims, "Park Ki-woong is full of emotions on the inside. The role of Chen should bring out the intensity in him".

source: original/hancinema

PARK Ki-woong Joins New KIM Ki-duk Production
HAN Chae-a to Co-Star in MADE IN CHINA
by Pierce Conran / Feb 12, 2014

KIM is set to produce the film Made in China, which will mark the debut of his former assistant director KIM Dong-hoo. Signed on to star in the film are idol star PARK Ki-woong and actress HAN Chae-a.

With no less than four films to his name last year, one as director (Moebius) and three as a producer (Rough Play, Godsend and Red Family), KIM Ki-duk is without a doubt one of the most prolific directors and producers in the Korean film industry. Director KIM Dong-hoo previously worked under KIM Ki-duk on the film Time in 2006. He was also a producer of last year’s Red Family.

Made in China will feature HAN Chae-a as an icy Korean Food and Drug Administration agent while PARK Ki-woong will perform as Chen, a character described as a man of strong convictions.

source: kobiz

Casting news: Han Chae Ah

Han Chae-ah in talks for movie Made in China
by javabeans | January 10, 2014

Han Chae-ah has had a steady string of work since really breaking out with Gaksital in 2012, and now she’s looking to add film credits to her growing string of drama titles. (She’s done a number of dramas—Oohlala Spouses, All About My Romance, Mi-rae’s Choice—but only has one film credit to her name, 2012’s Mr. Xxx-Kisser, also known as King of Flattery.)

She’s currently in talks for a film titled Made in China, which is a project from Kim Ki-duk Films but not directed by Kim Ki-duk himself (…phew? I confess to not being a fan of his brand of in-your-face envelope-pushing). Instead, it’ll be Kim Dong-hoo behind the camera, who has directed a few shorts and produced the 2012 movie Red Family. The production company has put out films like Poongsan and Rough Play, though Made in China seems less action- and suspense-filled than those works as an introspective human drama.

The story is about, of all things, Chinese eels. That is literally all we have to go on, so it’s hard to tell whether this is something to get excited about or not. For Han Chae-ah’s sake I hope it’s a worthwhile project, because she has been putting in a lot of time building relatable characters and improving her craft, even when the dramas she has taken on haven’t been big hits. I thought she was great as Lala/Rie/Hong-joo in Gaksital (aided largely by strong writing), but it wasn’t until I saw her playing a string of second leads in other dramas that I realized how much appeal she can have even when playing traditionally unlikable types (like her bubbly aegyo self-defense mechanism in Mi-rae’s Choice or her interesting combo of frailty and strength as Oohlala Spouses’ Other Woman). Hopefully good things are in her future.

source: dramabeans

Han Chae-ah in "Made in China"
2014/02/03

Actress Han Chae-ah is starring in Kim Ki-duk's "Made In China".

Kim Ki-duk Films revealed this fact on the 4th through media.

Director Kim Dong-hu's debuting movie "Made In China" is something everyone's been looking forward to, along with the firm storyline.

"Made In China" is a movie that uses eels to deliver the message of human introspection. Han Chae-ah takes on the role of Mi and creates a hot issue.

Kim Ki-duk Films producer Kim Soon-mo says, "I believed Han Chae-ah and Mi would create an attractive image together and her performance should add more light to this movie".

source: original/hancinema

The movie's world premiere is at the Tokyo International Film Festival, on October 25, 2014.  It's part of the Asian Future section of the film festival.

The movie's page on the TIFF website is HERE.

You can view the trailer there (with English subtitles).  You can also view it on vimeo (thanks, @RoxyBeeH).

A couple of articles about the movie at TIFF and the TIFFCOM film market

Tokyo Film Festival reveals 2014 competition line-up
30 September, 2014 | By Jean Noh

The 27th Tokyo International Film Festival (TIFF) (Oct 23-31) has announced the rest of its line-up with a Competition selection that includes world premieres such as Romain Goupil’s French film The Days Come and Li Ruijun’s Chinese film River Road.

Asian Future line-up
The fest’s Asian Future competition for up-and-coming Asian directors with first or second feature films has nine world premieres and one international premiere.
• Above The Clouds, dir. Pepe Diokno (Philippines-France)
• As The Swallows Got Thirsty, dir. Muhammet Cakiral (Turkey)
• As You Were, dir. Liao Jiekai (Singapore)
• Borderless, dir. Amirhossein Asgari (Iran)
• In The Absence Of The Sun, dir. Lucky Kuswandi (Indonesia)
• Kyoto Elegy, dir. Kiki Sugino (Japan)
• The Last Reel, dir. Sotho Kulikar (Cambodia)
• Made In China, dir. Kim Dong-Hoo (Korea)
• North By Northeast, dir. Zhang Bingjian (China)
• Nova, dir. Nik Amir Mustapha (Malaysia)

read the rest at screendaily

Tokyo Content Market Opens With Record Attendance
4:33 AM PST 10/21/2014 by Gavin J. Blair , Patrick Brzeski

The TIFFCOM market of the Tokyo International Film Festival got underway Tuesday with record attendance by buyers and sellers from Japan and around the globe.

The scene on the market floor was predictably boisterous throughout the day, as 331 exhibitors and 1,158 registered buyers got down to business.

With TIFFCOM sandwiched between Busan and the American Film Market (AFM) on the international calendar (the former concluded earlier in October and the latter begins Nov. 5), negotiations on deals sometimes stretch across the three events, according to some exhibitors.

Luna Kim, director of international sales and co-production at South Korea's Finecut, said her company typically closes many of its larger deals at AFM, but the Tokyo event remains a key sales opportunity for meeting mid-size Japanese companies in what remains the world's third-largest film market. "TIFFCOM has always been a good place to do business with the smaller players who don't travel as much," she said.

Finecut's Made in China, written and produced by South Korean art-house favorite Kim Ki-duk and directed by first-timer Kim Dong-hoo, will get its world premiere later in the week at the festival.

Titles with the provocative Kim Ki-duk imprimatur tend to sell well in Japan, but Kim said she was slightly concerned that the film wouldn't get as much sales buzz thanks to its inclusion in the Tokyo competition as it might have in past years, due to a change in event scheduling. This year, TIFFCOM is taking place during the three days preceding the Tokyo film fest, rather than at the same time, as in year's past. "Many of the buyers will have left Tokyo by the time the festival starts and the reviews are out," Kim said.

Nevertheless, the market not running alongside the main festival was not a major issue, according to many other buyers and sellers.

read the rest at Hollywood Reporter

Wow, thank you so much for making this thread and putting all the articles together!  =D>  ^:)^
This movie is a lot shorter than I thought it would be :o I hope it will be available somewhere/somehow for overseas fans who'd like to see it ^^ It has an interesting premise! [edit: my grammar is a nightmare... lol]

Here's a short account (in Japanese) from someone who attended the screening and Q&A.  I'll just post the picture of the Q&A, but there are more, mostly of the posters and the venue.
c7b962a5-s_zps011635fb.jpg~original
photo credit: happy feeling

This is also the first I've seen of the poster.  It's not up on any of the movie's various profile pages.

There's also another blog entry with the brochure finecut made for the film for a prior event.  It has a more detailed synopsis and character descriptions, and some stills I haven't seen.

I think the poster has been around since at least the film market at Busan earlier in October (?).  I think that's where the brochure came from, if Google translate is to be trusted.  The post I linked to is from October 19, so that was before Tokyo anyway.  It's just weird that the poster's not on any of the profiles or been released to the media at all.  I'm just glad to find out that it exists, I guess. :)

But here's a video of the Q&A session on October 25 with director Kim Dong-hoo and producer/writer Kim Ki-duk:

credit: sakurakaoruru
This is just the photo op at the end, but the whole session is uploaded on this user's channel (if you can understand enough Korean and/or Japanese to want to watch it).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Made in China will be at the 44th International Film Festival Rotterdam, in the Signals: Everyday Propaganda section.  The film festival runs from January 21 through February 1, 2015.

From the IFFR description of Signals: Everyday Propaganda:
Everyday Propaganda will focus on contemporary images and techniques of propaganda. With the worldwide economic and ideological unrest, there is a boom in propaganda. It is being revived across the world in new, powerful and subtle forms, through Internet and social networks, Cinema , and TV. In times of social upheaval and digital revolution everyone is eager to produce, receive and spread messages which aim to define and clarify the world around us.

The media landscape is a mass of contradictions, on the one hand the notorious reputation of classic propaganda is partly neutralized by use in popular culture and, on the other hand, popular as well as digital cultures are appropriated for extremely violent propaganda. The programme displays a wide spectrum of everyday propaganda and consists of three parts - films, exhibition and workshops.

The movie's page on the IFFR site is HERE.

Just noticed that the synopsis on the movie's IFFR page is a bit different from the ones I've seen so far.  Here it is:

A Chinese eel farmer illegally goes to South Korea to fight against its officials, who label his products contaminated and ban them. Written by Kim Ki-Duk, this furious drama and heartbreaking love story examines the dreadful extent to which neighbouring nations go to protect their mindsets, formed by years of propaganda.

Chinese eel farmer Chen smuggles himself and his eels into South Korea to prove that these fish are safe for consumption. His persistence pays off: after days of waiting, he persuades an inspector to test the eels. Unfortunately, they prove to be contaminated. Charmed by Chen’s honesty and sense of justice - characteristics sadly lacking many men in capitalist South Korea - the inspector enters into a romantic relationship with Chen and gets him a job as a security guard at an eel hatchery. This quickly turns out to be an illegal business where the eels rejected by the inspector are traded.

Director Kim Dong-Hoo examines an issue close to home, ruthlessly exposing the troubled relationship between South Korea and its neighbour China. On the basis of this poignant love story between a poor farmer and a wealthy, capitalist woman, this universal film delivers an intelligent critique of the ideological prejudices of capitalism: in South Korea, but also elsewhere.

source: IFFR

Archived