448FSvq.jpg

Title: 징비록 - 임진왜란 피로 쓴 교훈
English Title: The Jingbirok - A Memoir of Imjin War
Genre: Daeha drama, Historical, Political, Actions
Producer: Kim Hyung Il
Director: Kim Sang Hwi, Kim Young Jo
Writer: Jeong Hyung Soo, Jeong Ji Yeon
Network: KBS
Runtime: Saturday, Sunday (at 21:40 Korean Time)
Broadcasting Period: Feb. 14th, 2015 - Aug. 2nd, 2015
KBS World: Tue, Wed 01:30 am | Re-run: Thu, Fri 06:30 am (Seoul time; GMT+9)
Episode: 50

Casting:

Joseon

Kim Sang Joong - Ryu Seong Ryong
Kim Tae Woo - King Seonjo
Roh Young Hak - Prince Gwanghae
Kim Hye Eun - Kim Gwi In
Yoon Hong Bin - Prince Imhae
Im Dong Jin - Yoon Dusu
Lee Jae Yong - Lee San Hae
Seon Dong Hyuk - Jeong Cheol
Choi Cheol Ho - Lee Hang Bok

Military Commander

Kim Hyung Il - Shin Rip
Lee Myung Ho - Kim Chung Seon (Sayaka)
Kim Seok Hoon - Lee Soon Shin
Im Hyuk - Gwak Jae Wu
Kim Young Gi - Kwon Yul
Cha Ki Hwan - Park Hong
Kim Dong Seok - Song Sang Hyun
Park Jeong Wu - Kim Shi Min

Japan

Kim Gyu Cheol - Toyotomi Hideyoshi
Yoo Sae Hyeong - Toyotomi Hidetsugu
Jo Jae Wan - So Yoshitoshi
Lee Jung Yong - Kato Kiyomasa
Lee Gwang Ki - Konishi Yukinaga
Kang Shin Jo - Ishida Mitsunari
Kim Ri Wu - Ukita Hideie
Jo Sang Gu - Maeda Toshiie
Moon Sang Hoon - Kuroda Nagamasa
Choi Wu Young - Mori Yoshinari
Ahn Hong Jin - Todo Takatora
Kim Cheol Ki - Wakizaka Yasuharu

Ming

Jang Tae Seong - Emperor Wanli
Choi Il Hwa - Song Ying Chang
Jeong Heung Jae - Li Ru Song
Lee Ki Yeol - Shen Wei Ying
Lee Won Bal - Shi Xing
Seon Ho Gyun - Zu Cheng Xun

Official website: http://www.kbs.co.kr/drama/jing/index.html

Synopsis: Jingbirok, the name of a book written by real-life Joseon historian and scholar Ryu Seong Ryong, detailing the Imjin War (1592-1598) and covers the political scenes from pre-Japanese invasion until the Battle at Noryang where General Lee Soon Shin died. The drama will be a telling of historical events with the scholar as the central character, in the same vein as "Jeong Do Jeon" (who influenced the founding of the Joseon dynasty). Ryu Seong Ryong was an official who served during King Seonjo’s reign in the late 16th century. He was a brilliant Confucian scholar who was put in charge of military operations during the Imjin War, and greatly influenced Admiral Lee Soon Shin.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kim Sang Joong and Kim Tae Woo offered KBS’s next sageuk epic
tDFGPlG.jpg

Kim Sang Joong
KBS had a huge hit on their hands with the weekend sageuk Jeong Do Jeon this past year, as it was both a critical and ratings success, and the network’s follow-up in that timeslot has been highly anticipated since June. The project is finally entering casting rounds, and currently has offers out to the ever-awesome Kim Sang Joong (Bad Guys, A New Leaf) to headline, and Kim Tae Woo (God’s Gift – 14 Days) to costar.
The drama is called Jingbirok, the name of a book written by real-life Joseon historian and scholar Ryu Seong-ryong, detailing the Imjin War (1592-1598). The drama will be a telling of historical events with the scholar as the central character, in the same vein as Jeong Do Jeon (who influenced the founding of the Joseon dynasty). Ryu Seong-ryong was an official who served during King Seonjo’s reign in the late 16th century. He was a brilliant Confucian scholar who was put in charge of military operations during the Imjin War, and greatly influenced Admiral Lee Soon Shin.
The story starts before the Imjin War begins and will follow the characters all the way through the Battle of Noryang, and the death of Lee Soon Shin. I like the approach that Jeong Do Jeon and Jingbirok are taking, in telling very familiar historical events through the eyes of lesser-known figures — scholars and thinkers who influenced kings and directed generals. I totally intend to watch all of Jeong Do Jeon… when I find 50 spare hours.
Kim Sang Joong is being courted to play Ryu Seong-ryong, and it pretty much goes without saying that he’s going to be crazy good as the charismatic mastermind. Kim Tae Woo has been cast as King Seonjo, a weak king who came into power at the age of sixteen and was the first Joseon king of indirect lineage. He ruled during a period of extreme factional tension (when is the era in Joseon WITHOUT factional tension, is what I want to know), and of course during the war.
Directing is PD Kim Sang Hwi who worked on the long-format sageuk King’s Dream, and writing is Baek Woon Cheol of Suspicious Housekeeper and Strongest Chilwu. Jingbirok plans to start shooting in November for a January premiere.
nCqounN.jpg

Kim Tae Woo
(Note: Kim Sang Joong took a lead role king Gwangjong in KBS drama "Dawn of the Empire" in 2002; and Kim Tae Woo was king Munjong in 2013 film, "The Face Reader.")
Source: http://www.dramabeans.com/2014/10/kim-sang-joong-and-kim-tae-woo-offered-kbss-next-sageuk-epic/

No new drama threads are permissible without at least 1 confirmed casting.

Kim Sang Joong and Kim Tae Woo are offered roles in The Book of Corrections, not confirmed to take part in it.

• 1 month later...

Revisiting Jingbirok - Joseon Kingdom war memoir
Choi Yearn-hong
On the way to Kyungju this fall, I stopped by Hahoe Village, North Kyungsang Province and stayed one night at Okyonjungsa where he wrote the famous war memoir, Jingbirok, after he retired from the King's court. Inside it, I had most unforgettable nightto think over and to remember his life and his memoir. I had visited Hohoe Village more than several times from my admiration and affection before and after Queen Elizabeth visited, but never crossed the narrow river to visit his Okyonjungsa, library or study. Before I did see the small but dignified house from the other side of the river, not necessarily his Jinbinrok, great war memoir, with Admiral Yi Soon-shin's RanjungIlgi, great war diaries.
This opportunity came from kindness of Chung Wha-tae, retired career diplomat from the Korean Foreign Service, who arranged my trips to Kyungsang Province, including the first night at Okyonjungsa. 
Yoo Sung-ryong was prime minister under King Sunjo who managed the Imjin War and Jungu War, during 1592-1598, making almost impossible diplomatic negotiations with Ming China army and navy commanders, while commanding the Joseon soldiers, including the people's volunteer armies to resist the massive Japanese invaders with enormous fire power for seven years. If he was not in such a position, Joseon could most probably be divided into the Chinese and the Japanese territories, or be disappeared as an independent nation as we see today. 
King Sunjo wanted to cross the Yalu River, entering Ming territory to save his own life, and almost all King's men supported King's humiliating escape from the War. The then war time prime minister strongly advised the King not to do so. If the King crossed the River, then the Joseon Kingdom would be easily lost to the Japanese warlord. That was in his clear vision. 
If the Chinese and the Japanese negotiators agreed to divide Joseon and into two, northern and southern, parts for their colonies in the late 16th century, Korea could not be seen in the world atlas later. Yu was a heroic brave man in the War time to overcome all difficulties of declining Chosun's sovereignty and pride as a kingdom. He was a fierce defender of Chosun on behalf of the King, very weak or feeble. In the war, Yu himself recommended Admiral Yi Soon-shin as the naval commander in the Southern Sea and General Kwon Yul to lead the fight the Japanese invasion on land, the two men of integrity, discipline and leadership.
Internally, he constantly fought the factional politics that did not care the Kingdom's sovereignty and dignity. After the War was over, he was fired. His political opponents won the political game, and then resigned from the post. He never returned to capital city of Hanyang. In his hometown, he wrote Jingbirok, a war memoir, to review and record the seven year war for the future, objectively as possible.
However, his future policy recommendation in the last stage of Joseon Kingdom was totally ignored. Three hundred years later, Chosun was annexed by modern Japan, without any meaningful fight. Alas! Shameful demise of the Kingdom, at last.
One night in October 2014 at Okyonjungsa nicely persuaded me to see my home country again. Korean politics is still in such a fierce and shameful factional politics, under the different names of political parties. Politicians are crying for moral and ethical values, in which no debates of concrete policy proposals and reasonable policy implementations are conducted. For example, the so-called sunshine policy was a policy without concrete and tangible policy outcomes, other than unlimited giving to the North. Free meals for the school children and free house for newly married couple were not set up with available resources. No cost-benefit analysis at all. Korean politicians are still trying to appeal the immediate vote gain for their faction or party. They are seemingly not thinking of the nation's future. 
Years ago, one opposition leader told me that South Korea is #15 economic power in the world, and it could afford to feed the starving North Korean people. He did not see the limited resources at all. I was so shocked to know the level of his intellectual altitude. He was one of the key leaders to the past administration.
Jingbirok and War Diaries must be read by all Korean students, politicians and aspiring politicians.
They are two classic literatures for all people inside and outside the government.The day after Ryoo resigned and returned to his hometown, Admiral Yi Soon-shin lamented the emerging grave political situation. He was killed in his last naval war in the Noryang Sea. Probably he did not see the hope after the war. The two were inseparable friends.Yu saved Yi's life once when the latter was tortured under a crime of disobeying the King's order, after the Imjin War and before Jungu War. King Sunjo in the Royal Court did not know what was going on in the Southern Sea, nor the military strategy and tactics at all. He should let the admiral run the naval war. They were the two great leaders in the Royal Court and in the Southern Sea who kept Chosun's dignity and pride from the Imjin and Jungu Wars, spanning seven years.
History repeats, but many do not know such a simple fact. 
They see the history as the past tense, not the present tense. That is a common tragedy.
I have renewed my understanding of the Imjin War and two great leaders who ultimately saved Chosun Kingdom. I am proud of the great leaders. I urge you, readers of the Korea Times, to read Jingbirok and War Diaries, and renew their teachings to us, still relevant to present political, economic and military affairs. Yoo was a great scholar, philosopher and writer. Scholars must record their ideas and thinking objectively for the present and future. I learned a lesson from him.
Notes: Choi Yearn-hong is a columnist for The Korea Times. 
Source: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2014/12/142_169374.html

Thanks @mannschaft for posting the above article - great sharing for all to read prior to the premiere of this drama which is scheduled to air on February 14, 2015. 

In today's news, KBS has made a major revamped on their variety shows for 2015.  There's also an event today where actors/singers/entertainers respectively gathered at KBS Main Building to promote their shows/dramas. The main two male leads, Kim Sang-joong and Kim Tae-woo were present.

20141217002045_0.jpg

Source via Naver

MASTER SEOAE RYU SEONG RYONG
His child name is Igyeon, and pen name is Seoae. His family origin is Pungsan. As a follower of Toigye Lee Hwang (1501~1570), he founded the form of Confucianims in Yeongnam area and Tuegye studies with Hakbong Kim Seongil (1538~1593).
In 1564(19th year of Myeongjong), he passed a lower grade examination for government officials. Then, he entered Seonggyungwan and kept on studying. In 1566 when he became 25, he finally passed the examination in the humanity department. His first position for the government was Gwonjibu-jeongja in Seungmunwon. From then on, he held important positions like Yemungwan and Chunchugwan, mostly in academical or art fields.
With his high academical success and fairness, he was selected by a king and held third grade positions like Daesagan in Dangsanggwan, Ubuseungji, and Doseungji when he was 41 (1582). Then he was promoted to Daesaheon, which is the second grade position.
In 1590, he promoted again to Ueuijeong and was declared as Pungwonbuwongun due to his role of third place among Gwanggukgongsin. He came to hold an additional position of Ijopanseo and promoted to Jwaeuijeong in1591. For the preparation of the invasion of Japan, he recommended Gwon Yul who was Hyeongjijeongrang to Euiju-moksa and Lee Sunsin who was Jeongeup-hyeongam to Jeollado-jwasusa.
After the invasion of Japan occurred in 1592, he held an additional position of Hyeongjopanseo to manage all military works. Since he became Yeongeuijeong, he also held 4 Dodochechalsa to control the military and trained troops. During the invasion, he did his best to overcome the overall hardships in the center of governmental system.
He was famous for his studies, calligraphies, letters, and noble mind. Especially, his integrity received very sincere trusts from his followers. He was enshrined by his followers in Byeongsan Seowon in Andong, his followers, descendants, and famous families in Pungsan area helped to keep his memorial tablet.
Even though Seowon was built after his death, the location was selected by him. He wrote: Seoaejip, Sinjongrok, Jingbirok, Unamjapgi, Sangryegojeung, Muodangbo, and Chimgyeongyoeui. Also he edited: Daehakyeoneuicho, Hwanghwajip, Gugyeongyeoneui, Jeongchungrok, Hyogyeongdaeeui and so on. His name for poems is Munchung.
He deceased in the age of 66. He had lived long at that time. He held very important positions in the government such as Daejehak, Ijopanseo, Hyeongjopanseo, and Samjeongseung. By helding these positions, he tried to overcome the hardships during the Japanese invsion. However, due to bitter and strong criticism from the opposite party, he was removed from governmental positions and returned to his hometown. His governmental positions were restored soon, but he didn't go back there. Instead, he silently recorded his memories on the invasion during his latter days. In 1604, he finally finished the writing of Jingbirok.
JINGBIROK is the records of 7 years between 1592 (25th year of Seonjo) and 1598 and represents Master Seoae. This book precisely records the relationships with Japan before the invasion, resisting activities of common people, helps from China, and warships to take over the sea. The title of Jingbi was named from a sentence in Jusong Sobi chapter of Sigyeong (Book of songs): "Yeogijingibihuhwan (Preparing for the hardships by punishing myself)."
He recorded and wrote this in regrets and wishes that these war and hardships should not be happen again, then he named the book as "Jingbirok." With "Nanjungilgi", this book has very precious values to study the situations before and after the invasion. Furthermore, the fact that he wrote this by himself who was famous for his calligraphies adds historical values more. Jingbirok is declared as National Treasure, with number of 132 in 1969 and "Yeongmogak" in Hahoe Maeul possesses it now.
Master Seoae said that he had 3 regrets in later days.
"The first is that I couldn't have return the favors from the king and my parents. The second is that I couldn't have retire easily from my positions in the government which are too many and high for me. The last is that I couldn't have achieve anything despite my will to learn the morality."
What a modest view of life he has!
When he came back to his hometown after being removed from Yeongeuijeong, he was too poor and he managed to maintain his life with acorns or vegetables. In 1605 (38th year of Seonjo), he lost his house due to the flood. He stayed in Yokyeonjeongsa for a while, and moved to Seomiri, near Hakga-san (a mountain) in Pungsan-eup in September.
Next year, he made Nonghwanjae, which was a straw house. After 2 years of hiding, he deceased away in May 6 (lunar calendar), 1607 (40th year of Seonjo) at the age of 66.
At that time, his first son had already deceased and he had a 11-year-old grand son, Joljae Wonji.
He held a position of Jeongseung (prime minister) for 10 years, but he was famous for his integrity. According to his will, his funeral was very simple and neat. His tomb was prepared in Su-dong, Pungsan-eup.
At his tomb, there is a tombstone written as "Yeongeuijeong-munchunggong-seoae-ryuseonsaeng-jimyo (A tomb of Master Seoae Ryu who was Yeongeuijeong Munchunggong)". A memorial stone was not installed, according to his will. His wife was also entombed.
The sentences of tombstone were written by his grand son Joljae Ryu Wonji and Lee Sangjeong, who was the 6th descendant, wrote the actual letters of the tombstone in 1764 (40th year of Yeonggjo). Imyeojae Ryu Gyu installed the stone.
Sudongjaesa (a tomb managing house) was very big in size and located away from the tomb. At first, the house was located near the tomb, but his grand son Joljae moved it.
Source: http://www.byeongsan.net/english/sub3/sub1.asp

Merry Christmas, everyone! Love you all! :x
Pictures from the first shooting of "The Book of Corrections" featuring Kim Sang Joong as Ryu Seong Ryong. He's wearing white and having white beard. It's when Ryu returns to his hometown and reminisces the Imjin War, eventually composing his greatest work "The Book of Corrections."
blog.daum.net/hanwook1860/237

I've heard the writer of "The Book of Correction" has been changed from Baek Woon Cheol (he had done only one sageuk, "Mighty Chilwu") to Jung Hyung Soo, who had done 4 notable sageuks; namely, Sangdo, Damo, Jumong and Gyebaek.
AsianWiki has made a page for this drama & additional casts are added. Only actors' names, their roles are still unknown.
http://asianwiki.com/Jingbirok

@mannschaft,  Thanks for your insightful post and the links to the articles.. The l;over of Sagueks that I am I will be most certainly will be watching this one..  When I first watch the series on Lee Soon Shin and also watching Ryu Seong Ryong. character then I always thought his story would be interesting 

Guest Daduxing

Sounds interesting.
I'm wondering if it will be a real historical series (as I hope) or will be another fantasy period drama.
I'm still sad for the lack of subtitles for Jeong Do Jeon TV Series :(

Guest Daduxing

Hi
That's good to hear.
I hope that KBS will be more generous with granting the licence for sites like DramaFever or other streaming site.
Thank you, but
I don't have what to do with the jap sub. I don't speak it.

I guess K-dramas fans aren't familiar with Japanese, unless they are native Japanese. I used to study Japanese during high-school, so I can understand a little from J-subs (better than nothing, right? I actually focus in learning Korean right now, but have trouble with listening skills, really a barrier for me in watching K-drama without subtitles).
Few key points that might ensure the quality of the upcoming "Book of Corrections."
- Only 50 episodes. They will make the storyline tight and sensible.- The new writer Jung Hyung Soo wrote historical before, his notable works are "Sangdo" and "Jumong." - History is their priority since it is part of "KBS annual traditional historical", and a follow-up to the successful spearhead "Jeong Do Jeon."- There are considerable amounts of historical records during this era. (Book of Corrections itself, Admiral Lee's War Diary, Annals of Joseon Dynasty...)- Veteran actor Im Dong Jin (Yang Manchun in 2006 KBS "Dae Jo Young"). He impressed in "Jeong Do Jeon" when he first read its scripts; assumably, he's also interested in the new "Book of Corrections." - No pop-star idols. KBS's budget for traditional historical is limited, they cannot invite actors with sky-high salaries.

mannschaft said: I guess K-dramas fans aren't familiar with Japanese, unless they are native Japanese. I used to study Japanese during high-school, so I can understand a little from J-subs (better than nothing, right? I actually focus in learning Korean right now, but have trouble with listening skills, really a barrier for me in watching K-drama without subtitles).
Few key points that might ensure the quality of the upcoming "Book of Corrections."
- Only 50 episodes. They will make the storyline tight and sensible.- The new writer Jung Hyung Soo wrote historical before, his notable works are "Sangdo" and "Jumong.- History is their priority since it is part of "KBS annual traditional historical", and a follow-up to the successful spearhead "Jeong Do Jeon."- There are considerable amounts of historical records during this era. (Book of Corrections itself, Admiral Lee's War Diary, Annals of Joseon Dynasty...)- Veteran actor Im Dong Jin (Yang Manchun in 2006 KBS "Dae Jo Young"). He impressed in "Jeong Do Jeon" when he first read its scripts; assumably, he's also interested in the new "Book of Corrections." - No pop-star idols. KBS's budget for traditional historical is limited, they cannot invite actors with sky-high salaries.

@valsava: Till now, Korea has 50 years of producing historical dramas, officially starting from 1965. It's the same for Japanese historicals. I'm also a fan of Japanese historicals and I'm glad you are interested in them too. There are some old Japanese historical dramas/movies on Youtube, I will collect the links and pm you as soon as possible. :)
I discovered the world of Korean sageuks after watching "Sangdo" and "Huh Joon - The legend doctor" in 2002. Few years later, I watched Jumong, Woman Merchant Kim Man Deok, Emperor of the Sea, Immortal Lee Soon Shin, Dae Jo Young, Great King Sejong, God of War, King Geunchogo and the recent Jeong Do Jeon... all about Korean heroes in excellent quality with historical facts as priority and other stuff are kept in moderation. I enjoy them very much. 
I think the crux of my listening problem is I have trouble pronouncing in a lot of Korean syllables (unlike other Korean learners), so I have to say things really slowly and try to get my pronunciation correctly. That's why I can't keep up with Korean native speakers for what they are saying, they speak too fast.
Footages from "The Imjin War" (1985-86), part of "500 Years of Joseon Dynasty", which consisted of 11 series, "The Imjin War" is the 5th, featuring veteran actor Kim Mu Saeng as Great Admiral Lee Soon Shin.
Kim Mu Saeng also played King Taejo Lee Seong Gye in "Tears of the Dragon." 

@mannschaft,  Thanks for the video clip..
All the drama you mention are all good drama well written the only one I have problem with finding it complete with subs is  Great King Sejong.. I been searching high  and low for it but end up having no luck..  Jeong Do Jeon I haven't had the chance to watch yet and may start to watch this evening.. I found it utterly ridiculous how the king portrayed himself to be so jealous of his child GwH and then spent his time hating and being jealous of Lee Shin.. I'm currently watching the King Face also another good drama so far..    So if you want company when watching some of the oldies but goodies let me know I will be glad to accompany you.. 
Well hope things work out well with you learning Korean..
I know I will be joining you in watching the book of correction and will look forward to your awesome comments.. I think I can learn more of Joseon history with you on board.. 
Thanks about the Japanese historical I'm in no hurry whenever you get the chance.. 

Honestly I haven't finished "Great King Sejong" yet, due to missing download links and subtitles.
Kim Hyung Il will be playing General Shin Rip in "The Book of Correction." Seems like they will also emphasize the war images.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Rip
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chungju
Excerpts from Immortal Lee Soon Shin; Shin Rip vs. Konishi Yukinaga. 

Archived