[Variety 2014] Three Meals A Day 삼시세끼 (tvN) | Season 2 Premier May 15, 2015

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

@stewiefg I agree .. It's nice to see the TMAD family together in Seoul. Hyung and Hyungsoonim were present .. followed by the dongsaeng. And yeah .. if Shin Hye and Kwang Kyu hung were there too would be more fun .. Love their sense of staying as a family .. sweet !!

December 27, 2015

Cook TV, retro, cable dominate small screens in 2015

By Kwon Ji-youn The Korea Times

16-02(563).jpg  
Kim Tae-ho

16-03(364).jpg

Shin Won-ho

16-04(223).jpg

Na Young-seok

Cook TV, music shows and drama series broadcast on Friday and Saturday evenings dominated the small screen this year, with star chefs, big name producers and oldies putting idol groups and reality shows to shame.

If 2014 saw celebrity juniors take center stage, 2015 placed the spotlight on celebrity cooks. Music shows found breakthroughs with innovative formats, while KBS's "The Producers" and tvN's "Reply 1988" kept viewers at home on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Internet shows were a mixed blessing for broadcasters, and cable came out the winner in a battle of sorts with the three major channels and the retro boom has yet to lose steam. Here are keywords that defined entertainment in 2015.

Cook TV

Cheftainers ― a neologism combining chef and entertainer ― including Baek Jong-won, Choi Hyun-seok and Sam Kim cooked up a storm in entertainment this year, teaching viewers how to prepare simple meals at home with readily available ingredients and keeping them enthralled with a sense of humor alongside skills in the kitchen.

"Three Meals a Day," "Please Take Care of My Refrigerator" and "House Cook Master Baek" were among the many cookery shows that came up trumps.

Actors Cha Seung-won and Yoo Hae-jin also proved to be as adept in the kitchen, whipping up feast after feast with whatever ingredients they could get their hands on during their stay on remote Manjae Island in "Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village," and tvN's "Let's Eat 2" brought romance and cooking together in a drama series based on the brass tacks of single life and the food that accompanies it.

Fri-Sat dramas, retro

This year, drama series that aired on Friday and Saturday evenings, which are not conventional prime time slots, prevailed.

KBS's "The Producers" flaunted a stellar cast of Kim Soo-hyun and IU, an original plot and impressive cameos. With solid scripting and great acting, it went from great boast to great roast in just 12 episodes.

Cable channel tvN's "Reply 1988" is now the talk of the town, with props, setting and narrative that take audiences back to 1988, reliving the joys and sorrows of the average working-class family, the purity of neighborhood friendships and first loves.

The success of "Reply 1988" proves the retro boom is here to stay, at least for the time being. The year opened with an "Infinite Challenge" episode subtitled "Saturday, Saturday is for Singers," featuring performances by groups and soloists who dominated the music scene in the 1990s, and S.E.S., H.O.T. and Sechs Kies, idols of the 1990s, are rumored to be considering comebacks soon. Turbo released a long-awaited seventh album earlier this month, and original soundtracks for "Reply 1988" are topping the charts.

Other popular drama series this year included MBC's "Kill Me, Heal Me," starring Ji Sung and Hwang Jung-eum; SBS's "Yong-pal," starring Kim Tae-hee and Joo Won; MBC's "She Was Pretty," starring Hwang and Park Seo-jun; and tvN's "Oh My Ghostess," starring Park Bo-young and Cho Jung-seok.

Star producers

Producers Na Young-seok, Shin Won-ho and Kim Tae-ho are hotter than their shows' cast. Kim, who spearheads the production of MBC's "Infinite Challenge," has carved a substantial fan base for himself, and Shin has proven he is irreplaceable with the "Reply" series. The most recent episode of "Reply 1988" on Saturday garnered an all-time high viewership of 16 percent.

Na's web series "New Journey to the West," featuring members from the first season of KBS's travel show "Two Days and One Night," was also an overwhelming success, despite it being a project for tvN's digital content brand "tvN go," meaning the show's clips were streamed online through a web portal. Expectations are equally high for the latest series "Youth Over Flowers," starring Cho Jung-seok and his friends, set to begin airing on Jan. 1.

Music shows

When entertainers weren't cooking, they were singing.

Music shows on novel platforms were well received this year, with "Mask King" steering the spotlight away from what the contestants look like, or what they are wearing, and instead placing it on how well they sing.

JTBC's "Hidden Singer" made a successful comeback with a fourth season, the lineup of which included BoA, Gummy, Lee Eun-mi and Kim Yeon-woo.

Interactive online shows

Entertainment has witnessed a paradigm shift with MBC's "My Little Television."

The show invited professionals in all walks of life to share with viewers their knowledge and expertise. It brought out the star power in chef Baek, designer Hwang Jae-keun and origami master Kim Young-man, among others, and had them interact with the audience in real time through a chat room.

There were side-effects ― some of the commentary was ill-intended and the producers found it difficult to weed such out. But it brought the Internet, celebrities and audiences together in a unique, content-rich format, a combination that can't go wrong. 

jykwon@ktimes.com

Belated Christmas wishes to all of you!

But @duldulok , the news about Sappie is so distressing!

http://www.soompi.com/2015/12/26/netizen-relays-shocking-news-about-three-meals-a-day-puppies-minki-and-sapphire/

According to this article, Mingki was sold and whereabouts unknown! I hope it is not true. If it is true, then is Grandma unwell and unable to cope perhaps? I sincerely hope someone can give Sappie a good home and Mingki is doing ok too! Eddie is very fortunate indeed and let's hope his mummy and sibling will be ok in 2016 too!

December 28, 2015

Lee Seo Jin returns to small screen

Source: The Korea Times

K2015122800042_250.jpg

Lee Seo-jin /Korea Times file

Actor Lee Seo-jin, 44, will appear in MBC's new Saturday-Sunday TV drama, tentatively titled "100 days' Wife."

The drama is a story about a terminally-ill single mother who enters into a contract marriage for her daughter. Lee plays the role of the male protagonist, that of a veteran song writer, Han Ji-hoon, who is popular among women for his good manners.

Lee's last small screen role was last year with the drama "Good Days" that aired on KBS. Since then, he has appeared in various popular reality TV shows such as "Grandpas Over Flowers" and "Three Meals a Day."

The new drama will air in February next year.

ejb@koreatimes.co.kr

• 2 weeks later...

January 15, 2016

tvN surpasses 2015 profit target with 'Three Meals a Day,' 'Reply 1988'

SEOUL, Jan. 15 (Yonhap) -- Thanks to popular reality cooking show "Three Meals a Day" and family soap opera "Reply 1988," cable network tvN has achieved twice its profit target for 2015, industry sources said Friday.

Advertising for the fourth season of "Three Meals a Day" and "Reply 1988" were the main drivers, the sources said. In "Three Meals a Day," celebrities are challenged to create meals for themselves at remote villages. "Reply 1988" is a nostalgia-inducing drama set in the 1980s.

tvN is owned by CJ E&M, the entertainment arm of CJ Group.

Posters for tvN's shows "Three Meals a Day" (L) and "Reply 1988." (Yonhap)

Posters for tvN's shows "Three Meals a Day" (L) and "Reply 1988." (Yonhap)

Music channel Mnet, also owned by CJ E&M, ended in positive territory as well, with the fourth season of "Show Me the Money" and major events such as KCON 2015 USA and the 2015 Mnet Asian Music Awards being the main revenue sources.

Mnet first ended with a positive balance in the first half of 2012. It repeated that last year with "Show Me the Money," two seasons of "Unpretty Rapstar" and "I Can See Your Voice."

"Unpretty Rapstar" is the female equivalent of the rap competition program "Show Me the Money." In "I Can See Your Voice," celebrities guess which contestant can sing without seeing their faces.

CJ E&M is widely expected to give generous bonuses to its employees.

"We keep hearing we'll be getting bonuses," a CJ E&M official said, asking not to be named. "We expect to be paid sometime this month."

But CJ E&M's public relations refused to confirm these rumors.

"The precise figures will be posted in the regulatory filing on Feb. 4. Before that we can't confirm anything," a PR official said.

sojungpark@yna.co.kr

Archived