Add and Subtract Game

Admin

5 hours ago, Wuzetian said:

@Lmangla I enjoyed reading your PhD dissertation on food!

hahahah... it ended up being longer than what I expected because I had to explain what all stuff goes in there and rack my brain about it. :lol:

today's food exploration theme: when leftovers/old food gets turned into a dish of its own! what dishes would you like to share? 

@LeftCoastOppa -- kothu parotta: this is basically like egg fried rice but instead of using rice, you use parotta or any other flat bread you have left lying around. 

egg-parota.png  

this is the best type of flat bread and generally what restaurants/stalls use: parotta (what's not to love about roti canai eh? @sadthe1st?) you can use fresh parotta but old ones tastes better for this dish because it will retain a hard/crunch with soft combo. 

best-roti-canai-kl-restoran-ismail-roti- 

so basically toss in some onions along with any other veggies, add some fried meat leftovers if you have, and cook it whatever spices and sauces you want. then add eggs, scramble a bit and then toss in the shredded parotta in there. and you end up with kottu parotta. 

growing up, this was something that was particular to stalls around intercity bus stands and train stations. have these memories of landing in my grandfather's town and then holding his hand and watching them make it at the stall - a snack before we headed home. for some, it was a meal in transit before they caught the next bus/train to wherever town they were heading off. 

now, you can find this dish in many restaurants. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1

- no number -

another dish recycled from leftover ingredients: bread upma

bread-upma_dsc8200-(23)-21-186714.jpg 

this is a snack type dish that is made only at home. you really won't find this in any restaurant menu and is commonly made as an after-school snack for kids. it isn't super filling and so you will end up feeling hungry later for dinner but as a light snack, it works.

basically you create a tomato chutney base -- chopped tomatoes cooked with whatever spices and then when done, you toss in chopped toasted bread. this dish will not work with fresh bread because it will be too soft even when toasted. it is really meant for old/stale bread which hardens more after toasting. so it will absorb the juice but at the same time, retain some structure and texture. a great way to finish your old bread if you feel bad about throwing it out. some will do a pure tomato chutney but again, it is versatile. you can add veggies, leftover meat, eggs if you want as well. all up to you! 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

:waves: guys!

How are all doing in the weekend?? Hope everyone is fine. Just noticed @the_sweetroad chingu's height chart for women and I am lolling hard. Me myself out of the range.. :sweat_smile: Relatives teased me in the past that I am taller than them.. :D 5'5" is not that bad for a woman, right?? Then I am gonna need a guy in the optimal height range according to @LeftCoastOppa's theory!!! :w00t: Ha ha ha.. This is so fun....

Okay then... Will be back later. Gotta do some stuff.... :heart:

1002_23833e4538.jpg?_i=AA

+2

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

the next in the series of old/leftovers turning into a new dish: butter chicken.

yes, the dish that can be found in any indian restaurant worldwide was originally made to use leftover grilled chicken.

according to food legend, the moti mahal, a famous restaurant in delhi came up with the idea in the 50s/60s. the restaurant specialized in tandoor (so grilled food) and the owners were feeling bad about these leftovers and wanted to do something. so they came up with cooking a creamy tomato sauce and then tossing in grilled chicken pieces. voila! a beloved restaurant dish. 

Butter-Chicken-IMAGE-64.jpg  

the moti mahal became even more famous after serving this dish and many well-known govt officials and heads of state ate there.... to eat a dish made out of essential leftovers. that does sound funny if you think about it. :lol: hahahahha.... 

if you don't have grilled chicken floating in your fridge, you basically have to make it first and then toss it in a sauce. takes a bit more time to make from scratch. :) 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

4 hours ago, Lmangla said:

what's not to love about roti canai eh?

i love the plain ones with sugar, the egg ones with dhal.. and once in a while, choco banana prata!!!

Banana GIF

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

butter chicken.

super love this with garlic naan!! im not a fan of chicken but the gravy is insanely good

Hungry Season 3 GIF by Martin

i binge watched 4 episodes of Reborn Rich and i kind of like it!!

also, i saw the clips of @partyon @LeftCoastOppa chingu love/hate drama AoS2 and it seems good too

Sofia Vergara What GIF

note that she is drinking pepsi not RickRoll'D like @partyon’s raccoon oppa (ahem!)

LOLOL

+2

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Blob 2

@Lmangla So far it's ok. I manage to click on the reaction buttons. Sometimes it does hang though...You cook regularly for your family? This dish, Kiam Chai Boey here also similar to dumping all kinds of veg scraps and meat especially from big banquet meals or festive times, into a pot of soup with dried chilis and green mustards...

Kiam-Chai-Boey.jpg

CTO 

@confusedheart @MayanEcho Sharing this song from the late Anita Mui from Hong Kong who is also known as Madonna of the East...This is the OST from the drama Time Before Time with the loosely translated title of "Embrace the Person in front of You Tightly"...Hilariously comedic yet heart breaking at the same time...One of the best Cantonese dramas...Like their Shanghai look here...If only the drama has eng subs, I will definitely recommend you all to watch it...

CTO

Marry me...

w644

CTO

@rocher22 @Ameera Ali How's this bod, girl?

CLJ-44.gif

CTO

+2

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thirsty 2
  • Blob 3

27 minutes ago, Wuzetian said:

@Lmangla So far it's ok. I manage to click on the reaction buttons. Sometimes it does hang though...You cook regularly for your family? This dish, Kiam Chai Boey here also similar to dumping all kinds of veg scraps and meat especially from big banquet meals or festive times, into a pot of soup with dried chilis and green mustards...

am only having 11 reaction buttons.. 

reaction-prob.png 

so I can't use or see when others hit the other reaction buttons.  thats why I was wondering if it was just something with my browser or something I need to alert the mods. lets see. re: @gm4queen

so is kiam chai boey a hearty soup? 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

40 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

am only having 11 reaction buttons.. 

so I can't use or see when others hit the other reaction buttons.  thats why I was wondering if it was just something with my browser or something I need to alert the mods. lets see. re: @gm4queen

Oh my god!!! :scream: The forum has 16 reaction buttons in total. I don't have any problem with loading them and I don't see any other complains either. May be you should change the device or the browser or the network connection and check out again?? Please let me know if the problem persists. I'll alert the Admin just in case. Good luck, chingu!!! :heart:

+2

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 2

@Lmangla Too hearty I suppose! Lol! There will be lots of fats coz all kind of meat will be thrown in together including the skin! So those having high cholesterol should avoid this dish...I still prefer my regular chinese herbal soups...Below is an example of american ginseng and dendrobium (a kind of wild orchid which you can see those which are coiled) soup...Can boil with meat or without...

IMG_2196-1024x683.jpg?resize=800,533

CTO

• Like 3
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 2

34 minutes ago, gm4queen said:

Oh my god!!! :scream: The forum has 16 reaction buttons in total. I don't have any problem with loading them and I don't see any other complains either. May be you should change the device or the browser or the network connection and check out again?? Please let me know if the problem persists. I'll alert the Admin just in case. Good luck, chingu!!! :heart:

+2

figured it out; thought it was cookies and deleted those but that didn't work. then I disabled adblock add-ons but that wasn't it either. it is the browser shields that was the issue. when I disabled that, it was working. strange no?

for info: I use brave browser. 

+2

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 2