Add and Subtract Game

Admin

39 minutes ago, elan1 said:

I think you are trying to say that God bless us, so we should bless others in return :) 

interesting, free butter milk to cool off from weather. Whoa! I love learning these interesting facts!

yea exactly; it is for big ticket prayers -- having a child, getting a job, getting out of debt, getting married -- basically if people have struggled with those kind of stuff for long time, then they will do things like give food to orphanage/old age home, feed stray animals or give buttermilk to all commuters. anyone traveling by with a car and bike can stop by and get a glass and quite delicious as it is often made at home by the family themselves. not usually catered. even if they order it from restaurant, the family still have to serve it themselves. sometimes, the family will be chatty and even share why they are doing it. in one instance, the family looked really well off (their car was expensive) but they had been struggling with debit in their business. so when they got out of debt, they gave buttermilk to commuters. it is something that is highly appreciated by those who spend long hours on the road like delivery guys and taxi drivers.

so yea, dairy is huge part of our culture, cuisine, rituals and celebrations. wedding food - floating with ghee (clarified butter). woman after giving birth - douse her food with ghee and  to recover. baby naming ceremony (after 100 days) -- give baby spoon of sweet milk/rice pudding (made with milk or condensed milk). death - few days later, we go to grave to sprinkle milk as part of our grieving and saying goodbye. so basically at every stage, dairy in all its forms is part of our life. if I am honest, I have no clue how vegans survive. :sweatingbullets:

• Insightful 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 5

1 hour ago, elan1 said:

Interesting custom :scream: That means I will offend many people and have no friends if I live in your area :( 

almond milk is 10 times the price difference? I will be homeless beggar 

forgot to add -- people understand allergies but it is done differently here. basically people with health issues will take a small baby spoon to just taste and be part of the event. this way, they don't offend anyone. to outright say no is considered offensive and quite difficult to do. I think the younger generation is more forgiving as they are not that attached to these customs but the older generation have lot of emotion tied in these rituals. so very difficult to refuse. :sweatingbullets:

but yea, milk substitutes are ridiculously expensive -- way above the reach of many. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 3

2 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

if they will take secret to grave tell them more :mrgreen:

LOL,  i haven't get to watch the sub yet ....LOLLLLLLL

from head to toe?
I will NOT elaborate on it ..... :naughty:  no wonder they keep talking about the size.   ok okk okk

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

yea exactly; it is for big ticket prayers -- having a child, getting a job, getting out of debt, getting married -- basically if people have struggled with those kind of stuff for long time, then they will do things like give food to orphanage/old age home, feed stray animals or give buttermilk to all commuters. anyone traveling by with a car and bike can stop by and get a glass and quite delicious as it is often made at home by the family themselves. not usually catered. even if they order it from restaurant, the family still have to serve it themselves. sometimes, the family will be chatty and even share why they are doing it. in one instance, the family looked really well off (their car was expensive) but they had been struggling with debit in their business. so when they got out of debt, they gave buttermilk to commuters. it is something that is highly appreciated by those who spend long hours on the road like delivery guys and taxi drivers.

Ahhh   ... It's a form of saying thank you by sharing to any one in public.  A gratitude way of spreading love :heartxoxo:

Where do you offer, from your house? home? or from a centre, like eg, we have areas for the homeless?

• LOL 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 5

44 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

so yea, dairy is huge part of our culture, cuisine, rituals and celebrations. wedding food - floating with ghee (clarified butter). woman after giving birth - douse her food with ghee and  to recover. baby naming ceremony (after 100 days) -- give baby spoon of sweet milk/rice pudding (made with milk or condensed milk). death - few days later, we go to grave to sprinkle milk as part of our grieving and saying goodbye. so basically at every stage, dairy in all its forms is part of our life. if I am honest, I have no clue how vegans survive. :sweatingbullets:

I am amazed :scream: In the states they will say, “ball is life” in funny reference to basketball. Milk is literally life over there in your country. That’s wonderful that most people there are grateful and shows gratitude to all of their blessings by giving blessings to others. They walk through door of good opportunities after tribulations but they don’t close the door but try to help others go through the door as well :wub:

Hi @Ameera Ali have a fantastic day, be joyful :) 

21 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

forgot to add -- people understand allergies but it is done differently here. basically people with health issues will take a small baby spoon to just taste and be part of the event. this way, they don't offend anyone. to outright say no is considered offensive and quite difficult to do. I think the younger generation is more forgiving as they are not that attached to these customs but the older generation have lot of emotion tied in these rituals. so very difficult to refuse. :sweatingbullets:

but yea, milk substitutes are ridiculously expensive -- way above the reach of many. 

Okay! That’s fair overall. But for some even a small amount is deadly for them :( 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.insider.com/teenager-dairy-allergy-died-told-meal-was-safe-to-eat-2019-9%3famp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

36 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

Ahhh   ... It's a form of saying thank you by sharing to any one in public.  A gratitude way of spreading love :heartxoxo:

Where do you offer, from your house? home? or from a centre, like eg, we have areas for the homeless?

exactly, it is very different from charity (which is also something people do with food). so this is more of sharing your happiness. since it not charity, basically people of any income level feel free to stop and take the drink offered. people usually do it on side of a somewhat busy road in residential area. they can't really do it on the main roads as city/police will get annoyed. basically they can't block traffic and so has to be somewhat quiet corner where folks can park for a short bit. since it is a quick drink like water, people don't really hang out for more than a few minutes. they usually stop, drink and quickly move on. if the family is a little well-off, they offer a variation of this -- which is rice-millet porridge mixed with buttermilk and some vegetables. it is also given in a cup and is very easy to gulp down quickly. thats also another dish supposed to be good for the summer heat. if the family wants to offer a full meal, then some religious occasion (like with ramadan at mosques) or some charitable institution (like orphanage/old age home).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 4

2 hours ago, corey said:

Good morning

@Min2206, @elan1, @Sleepy Owl, @Thong Thin, @sadthe1st, @MayanEcho, @Lmangla

I was sincerely hoping I could spend my Sunday watching and commenting on eps 5 and 6 of Tunnel and posting.

Instead I spend my Sunday in a vet clinic. My oldest dog is very poorly, I am afraid today I would have to say goodbye to her. I am flooded with tears.

+2

Oh no, I feel for you and I know how is like to have your pets leaving you. 

I can't express how sad I was when my 2 flurries which I love dearly died. They are like my own child. 

After cremation, we had their bones and ashes stored in a glass jar and took home with us. 

• Like 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 5

53 minutes ago, Min2206 said:
1 hour ago, Ameera Ali said:

if they will take secret to grave tell them more :mrgreen:

LOL,  i haven't get to watch the sub yet ....LOLLLLLLL

from head to toe?
I will NOT elaborate on it ..... :naughty:  no wonder they keep about the size.   ok okk okk

did they just get any dead body without checking?

perhaps..

Spoiler

that dead body belonged to an eunuch?

evil GIF

• LOL 4
  • Blob 2

56 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

exactly, it is very different from charity (which is also something people do with food). so this is more of sharing your happiness. since it not charity, basically people of any income level feel free to stop and take the drink offered. people usually do it on side of a somewhat busy road in residential area. they can't really do it on the main roads as city/police will get annoyed. basically they can't block traffic and so has to be somewhat quiet corner where folks can park for a short bit. since it is a quick drink like water, people don't really hang out for more than a few minutes. they usually stop, drink and quickly move on. if the family is a little well-off, they offer a variation of this -- which is rice-millet porridge mixed with buttermilk and some vegetables. it is also given in a cup and is very easy to gulp down quickly. thats also another dish supposed to be good for the summer heat. if the family wants to offer a full meal, then some religious occasion (like with ramadan at mosques) or some charitable institution (like orphanage/old age home).

Ahh yes, we do have offerings at temple or like how you put it, a festive kind of thanksgiving meals at mosque or some institution.   Recently in my area there is this group of women who cook and offer packs of food, sort of like , take away meals but for free, by roadside.   Not everyday though.  Just for this occasion during our movement order, nothing to do with religion , but I think out of kindness for those who dont cook at home or on the rush?    I guess they have to ask for permit from the police.  

370C

• Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 5

4 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

Ahh yes, we do have offerings at temple or like how you put it, a festive kind of thanksgiving meals at mosque or some institution.   Recently in my area there is this group of women who cook and offer packs of food, sort of like , take away meals but for free, by roadside.   Not everyday though.  Just for this occasion during our movement order, nothing to do with religion , but I think out of kindness for those who dont cook at home or on the rush?    I guess they have to ask for permit from the police.  

was this sticky rice wrapped inside banana leaves by any chance? I don't know if this is true but in one travel show, this person said that many of the rice dishes wrapped in banana leaves across Asia originally were meant for that kind of purpose -- basically to pass out to commuters as thanksgiving or to take by workers going a little far away from the village to work...

23408068-pila-de-tamales-reci%C3%A9n-env

• Thirsty 1
  • Blob 7

2 hours ago, corey said:

And apparently Eternal Love is the best C Drama ever, right? I count three attempts at watching. All failed. There was so much accessories and characters crammed in the first episode, and then all these seems to be forgotten and we move to another seemingly unrelated location and characters? I was utterly confused and could not continue.

There are really plenty of characters and 5 main locations in EL as the first in the 3L3W. Their relationship to each other unfolds and the story gets better in the next episodes. :) Except for some characters' death, the story of the secondary couple, and the timeline, it mostly follows the novel it is based from.

Though I won't call it the greatest, the drama is popular enough that 4 years after it was first aired, a media network is showing it again. ^_^

Will try to see L&R when I get free time in the next weeks. I recently finished a 23ep Cdrama. The lead was a teen rookie when it was shot, but she owned the role. 

• Like 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 7

41 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

+2

I saw some postings in IG and this company name Rawsome does food distribution to the needs near the roadside. 

And another NGO, Lions Club does the same. They also distribute foods at the road side and also identify some very poor homes and distributee groceries. Is a good cause to feed the poor at times during the pandemic. I believe we must give in order to take. 

@elan1  love your muffins, so healthy. Basically all the ingredients are with me, would bake one of this day.

@sadthe1st

Got emergency call so I took half day today. Took a nap in the afternoon, hope I will not be a night owl tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 5

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

was this sticky rice wrapped inside banana leaves by any chance? I don't know if this is true but in one travel show, this person said that many of the rice dishes wrapped in banana leaves across Asia originally were meant for that kind of purpose -- basically to pass out to commuters as thanksgiving or to take by workers going a little far away from the village to work...

Yea, banana leaves are used commonly here to wrap dishes, rice and all sorts of sweet desserts , either for sale or presentation .. mainly because of its aromatic purpose - better than using plastic cling or bags.  I think they use either oiled paper or something like styrofoam meal box, to wrap the rice dishes.  

In the mornings we have these "nasi lemak" being sold in banana leave wrap , and those in Indian shops, the popular banana leaf rice here for lunch and dinner.

Image result for nasi lemakCoconut milk rice, served with anchovy spicy chili sauce (sambal), fried anchovies, fried peanut, sliced cucumber and hard-boiled egg

Image result for banana leaf rice

Banana leaf rice

1 hour ago, sadthe1st said:

finally i'm done with work for monday!

still have some outstanding but heck, i'll continue tomorrow

Work cannot never finish, Chingu

372 C

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 5

7 minutes ago, Thong Thin said:

Got emergency call so I took half day today.

hope everything is ok for u!

i dun have afternoon nap habit.. even if i'm really tired i just sit and space out, literally.

Season 1 What GIF by Portlandia

7 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

Work cannot never finish, Chingu

hahaha it's more like, i want to start my cny holiday now!!!!!

no mood to work

Celebration Dancing GIF by Juli

• Like 2
  • Blob 7