Add and Subtract Game

Admin

2 hours ago, Aziraphale said:

Ha, this will need a long rant, so suffice it to say that the leads behave like they're 15 and not 30, talk like the speed of molasses and awkward cute for the first couple of times has become tiring to watch when it stretches for more than a couple of episodes. The FL in particular has unreasonable expectations, the ML can't communicate (but she's not much better) and has too much baggage given his history with the second FL. Nobody addressed anything before getting into any sort of relationships. The FL, instead of wasting her time worrying and sulking about things she can't control, should have worked hard on her music, but no, she just goes into victim mode big time.

There is almost no music, no character growth, no professional development, no nothing, but a ton of unrealistic portrayals of what the writer apparently thinks professional musicians go through (I have discussed this drama with real-life violinists, and they have just laughed). It's just been misery central for the past few episodes, and then one music performance (with zero rehearsal whatsoever) will apparently save both the romance and musical growth.

It's gotten to the stage where I feel the actors don't know why their characters are this way, and it shows in the acting.

If you want a music drama, watch Nodame Cantabile. It gives you everything and more that this drama failed to achieve.

Okay Chingu, I see that we partially agree on certain things and partially don't. I will try to give my thoughts on them. 

Spoiler

So Song Ah, the FL is shown as sort of an introverted character, not totally introverted, but very shy, not really expressing her thoughts openly, and accepting things. She has been loving/liking this dude, who is actually dating her best friend. So there is already red line drawn between her and that guy, even though even he has started liking her. Anyway, she has experienced losing out a person she loves because of missing out the right time in expressing her feelings and has been a bystander since I don't know how many years. 

Same is the case with Joon Young, who has a very similar story. An extremely private person, totally lacks the skills of expressing himself through words. Song Ah starts to like this guy, but she knows that this time she needs to move forward and express herself, otherwise well, this dude already loves or has loved a girl since school time, who happens to have chosen his best friend over her. Joon Young still in transition in moving on, starts going out with her. 

Now with Song Ah POV, she has her insecurities, which only she can understand and not really the viewers, I guess. Joon Young and Jung Kyung come a long way and Joon Young cannot suddenly stop caring about her, which is something which actually bothers her. Yes, she is acting childishly, but she expressing those things very openly to Joon Young, is what I actually call character development and growth. She went from not expressing herself, to expressing being uneasy about things or even indirectly showing her insecurities to Joon Young.

On Joon Young's part he really does not want people to know what he is going through. One of the main reasons is, because he does not want to be indebted to anyone anymore. Jung Kyung and her family knew about his situation and have been helping his family financially, out of their pure love and care for him. But that has became a big burden on him, and he feels so indebted to them that he is worried about how he can really pay back for it. We see the chairwoman doing it just so Joon Young would not feel pressure from his family's side and enjoy piano, but that reason actually became one of the reasons for him hating it. So basically he is worried that he'll feel indebted to anyone again, especially Song Ah. Plus he really does not want to bother her with his family affairs. You see, Song Ah has also not really expressed things about family, and talking about family problems and financial problems, is not something one likes to discuss with others. So he is going through troubles, but is not telling her. She is telling him, but is seeing him troubled, and not knowing the main reasons, is assuming things. 

So yeah, this is not really a healthy relationship, but since Song Ah has been constantly expressing her concerns to him, we see him trying hard for her. We see him now explaining things to her. Also telling her about some of his problems, not all of them, but a lot of them. So I see this as a development from Joon Young's side too. 

Plus well, the biggest growth in Song Ah was actually asking for break up, since she was seeing herself go down, always feeling insecure and bothering about him. This will actually make both of their characters grow. Finally Song Ah stood up for herself, first in front of that #$#%$#% Prof. and then to Joon Young. 

But I do agree that Song Ah wanting Joon Young ending things with Jung Kyung is actually unreasonable. They have been friends for like 10 years, yes Joon Young had feelings for her, but has moved on, Jung Kyung is chasing him, which is making Song Ah insecure, but both of them can't suddenly stop seeing each other or suddenly cut off their friendship. It simply can't happen and thus Song Ah must realize that. But seeing how she has been a bystander for years, and must be blaming her not expressing things for it, I think she is trying her best to express her uneasiness.

Talking about this being a classical music drama, I don't think this was going to happen. This is more on the struggles people of music department face which not many know about. And well, all talented people struggle at one point in their life, or at least most of them do. Even the famous football players or athletes out there have trouble dealing with pressures and expectations. And this is exactly what we are seeing her. I liked Joon Young saying "Having talent is an important thing in this field, but if you can dream and do hard work, you can achieve it without talent" and this is exactly what is being shown. Song Ah knows that she is not talented enough, is very behind in race, but she has a dream and is working really hard in fulfilling that dream.

Plus many people really not know about the struggles of talented people in music or any department. We have Joon Young who is sort of feeling frustrated with competing in competition to prove his talent and also to gain money. He wants to enjoy playing piano which currently is not happening. Jung Kyung has failed to meet up to the expectations and now is searching for path she would pursue and thinks it can be teaching. Hyun Ho can be said to be the least talented among the trio, and he is facing problem as he is not as famous as Joon Young and may and seems to not really want to be a Prof. like Jung Kyung. So is also lost and searching for the path, while seeing his other two friends going ahead in the race they sort of started together. So showing different aspects of talented people struggling is very well portrayed here. 

Sorry for the long post chingu, I tend to explain a lot. 

So overall for me this drama has been good. Not really hyped about it, but loving the topics they are touching and portraying them. 

• Like 4
  • Thirsty 1

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

@Min2206 The only thing Director has seen in me is, "This guy now needs to do something for the money I pay him, and not just sit through 4-5 hours long calls" which actually is right to think about in his side. 

880 - 2 = 878

You want me to "poison" DIrector?  I learn a thing or two from Faith. :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Thirsty 1

5 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

880 - 2 = 878

You want me to "poison" DIrector?  I learn a thing or two from Faith. :D

No Chingu, whose gonna pay me then. If that dude troubles me I'll definitely contact you, well for some poison research purpose let's say :rubchin:

• Like 3
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1

3 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

No Chingu, whose gonna pay me then. If that dude troubles me I'll definitely contact you, well for some poison research purpose let's say 

oh yea, how could i forget that?!  He's paying you.  Okay, i switched tactics, no killing ... we make him have cold sweat between meetings and toilets?

wait @Sleepy Owl - why 822?

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Thirsty 1

2 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

What do you all do?  no more October-fest .... 

I do nothing, just sleep in my bed :loolz:

Chingu I think for now we can leave my director alone, maybe do something to him when he really troubles me :rubchin:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Thirsty 1

2 minutes ago, Thong Thin said:

:blush:  We don't celebrate here.. so is not in my mind.... 

Mind to share what you guys do during Halloween party ?

yea , i m curious too , just as @Thong Thin said.  We used to have october-fest and yea, halloween theme for company dinners (certain annual dinners I heard)

I hear you @Sleepy Owl loud and clear, noted.  You just sleep .. ohh, I thought there would be some gathering or dinner do with family members, okay ...

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thirsty 1

50 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

These plots are always messy. And as I said, the ones involving brothers are worse. I have seen countless dramas, mostly Sageuks, where a girl comes between 2 best friends and BOOM they are now worst enemies.

@Lmangla @Sleepy Owl doesn't this sound like Scarlet Heart? lol although i didn't watch the korean version (YES!!! IMAGINE I DIN WATCH THAT!) but i did watch the taiwanese part 1, and it's almost the same type of plot.. a few brothers (princes) hovering over 1 girl and getting all complicated.

1 hour ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Maybe I'll have to do something now, while sitting around for 4-5 hours

that's good news isn't it?

work startup GIF

i sneaked out to buy teh tarik... or rather, i officially declared in my co chat status "i solemnly swear i need coffee" HAHAHA so i'm back with my tea... and a few cans of UCC coffee in the fridge.. one bag of lays salt n vinegar chips!

200.gif

+2

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Thirsty 1