Add and Subtract Game

Admin

54 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@Sleepy Owl

I don't mind fluffy fusion sageuks and I get that probably if it's not well-made a long sageuk like "Great Queen Seon Deok" or "Empress Ki" won't bring in high enough ratings to bring back the money. But there is something magical about watching sageuks unfold on screen. Also to watch something like that over the course of a couple months... I miss it. :D

The last Sageuk I watched before this one was "My Country: New Age" and I actually liked it. But as I have said before too, I actually really appreciate it and love it if the Sageuk follows the history somewhat accurately. But if they don't I really don't feel like watching it until or unless they are very well written. "Six Flying Dragons" was actually good, followed the history (to some extent) and that they used it as a prequel to "Deep Rooted Tree" and they connected it to that drama was amazing, but over-exaggerated fight scenes didn't impress me at all. 

But as you said, making long Sageuks is risky. They usually require higher budgets than other dramas and if the ratings are not good, it becomes a loss. I remember Princess Ja Myung (which actually is based on a very famous folk tale) reducing its episodes because of low ratings. I didn't watch it, but heard many negative reviews about it. On the other hand we have Sageuks like "Jumong" which was initially planned to be 60 episodes long, but due to its high ratings was increased to 81 episodes. And yes there is always something magical about watching Sageuks. Let's hope we'll get to see high quality Sageuk production in future.

+2

• Like 1
  • Love 2

59 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

for me too dramas above 24 Eps are a NO. But for Sageuks I've got exceptions, because most of the best ones out there are usually 50+ Eps long.

Yeah.  I managed to plough through Dae Jang-geum.  Although I must admit the last few episodes were difficult.  I was losing momentum.  The MasterChef of the Joseon era gig got old very quickly.  And what was initially fascination quickly dwindled down to a yawn fest and I was pressing the ffwd button for the cooking scenes.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

8 hours ago, nrllee said:

Ji JinHee :wub:.  I watched DJG but I am putting off DongYi.  Anything over 20eps puts me off.

1 hour ago, Sleepy Owl said:

@nrllee for me too dramas above 24 Eps are a NO. But for Sageuks I've got exceptions, because most of the best ones out there are usually 50+ Eps long. So I don't follow them weekly, I wait for them to finish and then start binge-watching them

Good morning!

giphy.gif

@nrllee @Sleepy Owl Does it mean that you have never watched the best weekend drama ever, What Happens To My Family? :crybaby:

• Like 1
  • Love 3

9 minutes ago, partyon said:

@nrllee @Sleepy Owl Does it mean that you have never watched the best weekend drama ever, What Happens To My Family?

Alas...you speak the truth.  Looked at the 20+ episodes and bailed.  In fact most of the Chinese dramas that have been recommended to me have met with a similar fate. I look at the number of episodes and beat a hasty retreat.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

4 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Alas...you speak the truth.  Looked at the 20+ episodes and bailed.  In fact most of the Chinese dramas that have been recommended to me have met with a similar fate. I look at the number of episodes and beat a hasty retreat.

Oh no.... :sad1:

This is the only 50 episode drama I've managed to watch from start to finish WITHOUT fast forwarding. It's an amazing drama. I think it got over 40% viewership ratings back in the day - well deserved in my opinion. :kiss_wink:

• Like 2
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, partyon said:

This is the only 50 episode drama I've managed to watch from start to finish WITHOUT fast forwarding. It's an amazing drama. I think it got over 40% viewership ratings back in the day - well deserved in my opinion.

Maybe one day. Never say never.  :)

• Like 2
  • Love 2