Quantcast
RayAmbler7

Add and Subtract Game

ah I see @kokodus; so it is great that you have lots of options to select but it can lead to a bit of selection paralysis. so from your first post, it sounded like you wanted the independence of moving away from home without losing too much of the comforts of your home. in that case, remaining in the south is a good option. however, if other factors like stipend, your course selection, quality of education is more important, then you have to bite the bullet and move further.

Can I suggest doing a SWOT analysis? (if you haven't done it before, it is from economics class and now taught widely in other subjects as well). SWOT stands for strength, weakness, opportunities and threats. you break down each potential option on that criteria and see which option fits more comfortably with you. it is a great way to make a decision and something that works for me. what you have to understand is that every option will come with a minus. the questions is whether the plus is more the minus for you and the minus is something you can tolerate. there is no decision that is 100% all pluses. there are going to be some drawbacks. the question is whether you can live with them.

so here are things that you should consider:

-- how much comfort of home do you need in order to get through the course? now there's no shame in admitting that you need the support of your folks. we all do. so a good question to ask is are you okay if you can only come home once a year? or do you need to come at least 2-3 times a year in order to recharge? (the closer you are, the more easier it will be to drop by for a long weekend but that option won't be there if you are geographically further)

-- do not just consider the stipend amount but also consider how much it costs to live there. different cities have different costs of living (rent, food + traveling) and a higher stipend does not necessarily translate to more cash in your wallet. (this is also important tip to remember when considering salary and moving to different city). so I get you wanting to be financially independent at 24 but consider how much it costs to live there. if you are living in some 3rd tier city, the stipend may be actually more than enough to meet all your living expenses and for you to be independent.

-- how important is it for your folks that you are at a distance where they can easily come over? depending on your family dynamics, their peace of mind might impact your emotions and so it is important to consider.

-- how adventurous are you? are you the kind to embrace change? or do you accept change reluctantly? will these changes affect how you study? ultimately, your goal is to study and practice well -- ask yourself if it is important for you to be comfortable in order to do that? or you the tough and ready type? (am assuming that you are going to do crazy 20+ hour shifts in addition to your exams and so don't discount the value of having a stable environment that you can handle.)

once you process these questions and do a SWOT for the top 3-5 options, you will have a clearer picture. also, you will also be able to have more fruitful discussions with your folks as well and figure out a location that is comfortable for all. good luck! keep us posted!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

@kokodus Congratulations dear! :heart:

Hope everything will went well with your further studies :wub:

• Like 2
  • Love 2

@kokodus You just had some fantastic advice there from @Lmangla. Lmangla what a wonderful application of the SWOT analysis . I would have given you an A+ on that . 

@Ameera Ali yes, I can't believe I have watched so many episodes in such a short time :lol:.  Let's see if i can do eps 12 as well...but I do have one more eps of 9.9 bn to catch up on...

@stroppyse I think Personal Taste was one of KJS's first works right? Ahh he must have been so raw then ..Double X makes me laugh...I think she does provide comic relief for the BLWL....

Hello @lynne22 missed you here. How are you?

Edited by triplem
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

37 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

so here are things that you should consider:

-- how much comfort of home do you need in order to get through the course? now there's no shame in admitting that you need the support of your folks. we all do. so a good question to ask is are you okay if you can only come home once a year? or do you need to come at least 2-3 times a year in order to recharge? (the closer you are, the more easier it will be to drop by for a long weekend but that option won't be there if you are geographically further)

-- do not just consider the stipend amount but also consider how much it costs to live there. different cities have different costs of living (rent, food + traveling) and a higher stipend does not necessarily translate to more cash in your wallet. (this is also important tip to remember when considering salary and moving to different city). so I get you wanting to be financially independent at 24 but consider how much it costs to live there. if you are living in some 3rd tier city, the stipend may be actually more than enough to meet all your living expenses and for you to be independent.

-- how important is it for your folks that you are at a distance where they can easily come over? depending on your family dynamics, their peace of mind might impact your emotions and so it is important to consider.

-- how adventurous are you? are you the kind to embrace change? or do you accept change reluctantly? will these changes affect how you study? ultimately, your goal is to study and practice well -- ask yourself if it is important for you to be comfortable in order to do that? or you the tough and ready type? (am assuming that you are going to do crazy 20+ hour shifts in addition to your exams and so don't discount the value of having a stable environment that you can handle.)

Wow.okay... *get out a pen & pencil* “I’m ready to do a proposal to go overseas to study!:joy:

But honestly thank you..got to take some time to figure out too..cause I want to also do overseas studies. I’m at that stage where I felt like the only option to succeed in what I’m aiming for is to go overseas..

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2

@LSGLMH_88

I just finished episode 4 and screaming when he hold her hands and pulls her out the hall.....:scream:

+2

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Sushimi said:

@Sarang21 have you seen Hyena poster? Looks so cool! Omg Ji hoon :joy:

He had me like :

on the ground screaming

+2

Do you mean this one? Then yes I have seen it....I´m really looking forward to it. By the way do you know if there will be romance or strict business?

Spoiler

Hyena_(2020)-TP.jpg

+2

• Like 4

@Sarang21 yes the picture! His siting position is :kiss_wink:

I think it’s strictly business cause they say they all do it for money etc. Maybe got a bit of spark but not official. :) 

‘This year I’m holding a oppa party lol

+2

• LOL 4

2 hours ago, triplem said:

Lmangla what a wonderful application of the SWOT analysis . I would have given you an A+ on that . 

kekeke.... I had some great econ teacher in school as well as in uni who made it seem like economics was everywhere. they always gave real world examples for all the boring theories that I found the subject super easy. and yea, I find SWOT a very easy way to bring clarity and compartmentalize your thinking practically and see what you value and this makes your decision process easier.

2 hours ago, Sushimi said:

Wow.okay... *get out a pen & pencil* “I’m ready to do a proposal to go overseas to study!

kekeke.. glad to help! :D

so for @Sushimi and @kokodus, thought I will add a real life example of SWOT processing (in case you are not familiar with it). over these holidays, my aunt was chatting about how folks sometimes suggest that she change schools as she is not paid as well in comparison to teachers at other places. her initial priority when she joined was to be in the same school as her kids and since they are now grown (working / married), that motivation no longer applies. in that case, why stay goes the reasoning of some. so here's how she has processed her decision to stay:

strengths ~ good working atmosphere. (so less stress compared to other places); good rapport with management and staff (so she can take leave when she wants without them cribbing)

weakness ~ smaller salary in comparison to others

opportunities ~ she continues to be valued and appreciated (her responsibilities have grown); a great network of old and new parents (which comes in handy at very unexpected times and events)

threats ~ work pressure? it is not insane and reasonable; long work days? her hours are reasonable ; long commuting time? she actually lives pretty close and so her commuting time as well as travel expense is very less

from her perspective, her quality of life is great. the strengths and opportunities far outweigh the weakness and with less threats, she is more healthier in mind as well as body. with only a few years close to retirement, quality of life is far more important to her than a big fat salary. therefore, she is very content and happy to stay.

so that's how SWOT processing can look like. threats are often hidden and not necessarily obvious. however, there can be cost to them even if it cannot be directly monetized. so yea, when you look at further education, you need to look at beyond the obvious to make a decision that works for you. ultimately, you need to be able to say the strengths and opportunities outweigh the weakness and threats and so therefore, I am okay with this place.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 5

@Ameera Ali cure for addiction is trying to make me have another addiction :skull:, well done! Ok I will try "Beyond The Clouds" when I have time :joy:

• LOL 3

@cenching and still it is nothing compared to all those sweetness coming in future....keep going....and keep me posted... I am so glad you picked it up... , ;)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Lmangla This is amazing^^^ You are amazing. Hahaha. I think I'm going to spend my next few days doing a SWOT analysis for all the colleges I'm interested in. Thank you thank you. 

TBH, I'm more of a gut-feeling influenced action taker. LOL. I'm not a planner. I just go with the flow. I know it's dangerous and I can't be taking important life decisions based on my instincts therefore I'm thankful that I have these wise soompi friends to guide me. Hehe. 

Cost of living is one thing my parents and friends have been throwing at our discussions too. Definitely a valid point I have been thinking about it too. One plus point is my seniors are there in every state in the country, so I can get information from them about these stuff. And I also would not be alone no matter where I go, there will be someone I know in that college.

As far whether how many times I would need to come home and recharge, I really have no idea. I have been living with them my entire life, it will definitely be hard for a few months, but whether I would get seriously homesick or not if I don't meet them for a long time, I don't know, I can't tell right now. That is something I would be able to tell only after I go away. 

@triplem @lynne22 thank you so much for your wishes!!!!! Love you guys. 

@LSGLMH_88 But only the tamarind will give that sour taste, how can it be replaced by pudina. I don't know. I think they add both of them here. Hahaha. Momos are my favourite too. Only some shops does steamed momos right here. I like fried momos more, but then again I like anything that is deep fried. LOL. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

@kokodus we all love all those deep fried things.... for me that's a depression food...i indulge more when i am upset...it used ti be everyday practice in delhi but now here toh my mom will kill me...but still i indulge...time ro time...lol...i love steam momos better... there is a joint in delhi where they used to give 8 pcs in 80 rupees... those were yum...whenever i go to delhi , i always eat their momos...lol..in hills , places like uttarakhand , Darjeeling...momos are even more tastier... That joine sells all sort of momos like tandoori momos achari momos etc... Shittt i am feeling hungry... Lol..

+2

• Like 2
  • Love 1

you are welcome @kokodus; :) hope you enjoy the SWOT for the next few days and it makes your decision process more clear. for threats, you should also consider factors like safety, access to emergency help and resources (financial as well as emotional support), peace of mind, emotional balance, living conditions/quality of life (is hostel far? do you have to spend a lot of time commuting? do you have to pay more for rent if you want to live close by?).....

I am a weird combination of gut and process. meaning it looks like I am impulsive but if you really ask me why, I would give you a whole explanation on pluses and minuses and why I ended up making that choice. so for me, I find it helpful to have the process before hand because it makes it easier to explain why I am leaning one way and not the other. otherwise, I get very confused and frustrated because I can't explain my choice and everyone keeps talking and talking! 

yea, homesickness can be very tough. that would basically be a gut kind of decision. if the thought of not seeing them for a whole year or more makes you really sad and feel like crying, then you know you need to go home a few times a year to recharge. if you think it is difficult but life, then you would be okay if you went home only once a year.   

• Like 1
  • Love 2

@LSGLMH_88  Ahhh i'm already salivating. Hahaha. I also eat a lot when I'm stressed. This last year has been so stressful you know, and my appetite has exponentially increased. I get hungry all the time. I order food almost every other day. I have gained 5 kgs this last year alone. Haha. But I'm not interested in losing any weight, only now I have achieved my ideal weight range for my height actually. LOL. I have to maintain this, I should neither lose not gain any weight after this. I should also try to eat healthy if I'm going away. If I get sick no one will be there to look after me. Sighhh. 

The other day I went to this annual book fair event and there were just so many food stalls serving all different kind of foods, I got confused for a moment on whether it was a book fair or a food festival. Hahaha. It was fun. 

Currently reading Dan Brown's Origin which I bought in the fair. Good so far. I assume you have already read this one. Right? 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

@kokodus yup i have read Dan Brown, sidney Sheldon completely... 

Last year has been the worst year of my life and i have gained 15 kg..my mom is pushing me to lose weight but I am in no mood...i am wasting my money in those gym memberships but not going there...now toh she is totally furious... Today she made a real ruckus , i told her that i promise ki i will go from tomorrow but she is not buying it...lol..

+2

• Like 2

@LSGLMH_88 ~ I find that I am more motivated to keep going if it is a group class for zumba or aerobics or dance. otherwise, I lose interest and can't be bothered. in a group, the teacher keeps pushing and also other students are sort of limping along. so you don't feel as dumb. best option if you have no self-motivation like me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, cenching said:

@LSGLMH_88

I am dead and resurrected after I saw her gigantic humongous med for him....:joy:

+2

And even after that he couldn't just say no to her... :D

+2

@lmangla thinking of that

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

@LSGLMH_88 L&D is nothing like Peach Blossoms. The only similarity is the setting is in heaven....:lol: L&D reminds me of The Journey of Flower though....

Btw, majority of ladies here are talking about gaining weight because of stress. I always the opposite, the more stressful I am the skinnier I become. When I was pregnant with my youngest, I was skinny as heck because of depression. I can even lost plenty of weight due to angsty drama....:ph34r: I totally lost my appetite when under pressure 

+2

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

My goodness, is that Kim Soo hyun??? Waahhhhhh. The cameos in this show is no joke. They got all big people. Hahaha. I'm looking forward to all the ruckus our military squad is going to cause in the south, it's going to be hilarious. 2 weeks is such a long time. Sighhhh. 

• Like 1