Quantcast
RayAmbler7

Add and Subtract Game

@kokodus, @lynne22, @mouse007, and anyone who's interested in "Fall in Love at First Kiss," the movie version of "It Started with a Kiss," here's the first chunk of the recap.  I've decided to post as I go because even if I don't, it's going to end up being one ridiculously long post.  (It's a two hour movie, after all!)  Have to take a break for now but hope to work on the recap again later today.  Also, I looked for a movie specific thread but didn't find one.  If I overlooked it, let me know and I'll move this over there.  Otherwise, I'll just keep sharing them here. 

"Fall in Love at First Kiss" Recap, Part 1

Spoiler

The movie opens with a monologue from XQ, who explains how she came to fall in love with ZS.  It was on the first day of their first year at their new school.  She was running up the front stairs and he was coming down.  She trips and he… gets bumped?  I don’t really remember, honestly, but the important point is his cell phone goes flying into the air.  He does some quick mental calculations and with mathematical/physics equations CGI-ed into the air surrounding XQ, we see him figure out that if he doesn’t save her she’ll hit the back of her head on the steps and if he doesn’t save his phone, it’ll crack on the steps.  So, the first thing he does is reach for her, and then he reaches behind her for his phone.  What his mathematical equations didn’t calculate, however, is that once he saved from falling backwards, the forward force of her motion would have her landing on his lips.  And so he didn’t get to save his phone, and it went crashing to the ground anyway.  This becomes the theme of their relationship – to ZS, XQ is the deviation that he never predicted and can’t ever predict.

After she learns his identity at the school’s opening ceremony, where he’s invited to speak on behalf of the new class as the highest test scorer for their grade, for the next three years, XQ joins all the other girls at her school in chasing after ZS.  We see her receive a notification on her phone that he’s about to make an appearance on the campus, and she immediately joins in the chase.  That’s how we learn that those in Class A are protected by a building that can only be accessed by fingerprint recognition, so that they won’t be disturbed by others in their studies.  Those in Class F, on the other hand, look like their classroom is located in a rundown warehouse on the outskirts of campus that’s covered in graffiti and surrounded by overgrown weeds.

At a certain point, her two best friends tell her that it’s time to give up because it’s been three years already.  XQ is sniffs that she thought she had their support, and while she does, they’re also being realistic.  That’s when XQ decides to write him a confession letter.  On the appointed day, they help her pretty herself up and then calculating the timing to match when she knows ZS will be leaving his classroom, her friends sound the fire alarm in their classroom.  Amidst the chaos as well as the smoke from the fire extinguisher, XQ makes her escape – but not before another classmate greets her at the door with a bucket full of water.  To be fair, he thought there was a fire and so he was just trying to splash some water into the classroom.

Wet and soaked, XQ runs across campus and manages to steal into the fingerprint-locked classroom building through an open side door.  (Seriously, what’s the point of having a fingerprint-only accessible building if you’re just going to leave the side door open like that?)  She finds ZS walking through the open lobby and calling after him, holds out the note.  She asks if he’ll accept it.  After looking at her for a little bit, he walks over and agrees.  But after a pause, he adds, “Is that what you thought I would say?”  And then he goes off about how he’d never be with someone as stupid as her, and that they belong to two different classes of people.  (This is why I say he is the meanest Zhi Shu I’ve ever met.  According to memory, don’t the others just walk past her?)  After he walks off, XQ mutters to herself that thank goodness no one else was around to witness her humiliation, but as soon as she finishes that thought, she’s swarmed by a horde of people with their cell phones.  Everyone’s either snapping her picture or taking a video, and even the school’s principal is watching from someplace else through the security cam.  Over the loudspeaker, he berates her in front of the whole school for wasting her time in not studying by distracting their top student from his own studies. 

Later that day, XQ sits outside her rundown house doing laundry when her friends send her texts that are intended to support and encourage her after the disastrous confession event, but are exactly the opposite.  For example, they would say things like, “Don’t worry.  Not many people have seen the video!  Only [X number] have seen it,” and the number they name would actually be a pretty high number!  It’s during this time that her father runs out of their house.  He’s going on about how XQ has to start packing because he finally earned enough money to buy a house to call their own and they’re going to be moving soon, and she tries to calm him down by asking if he’s been drinking again and reminding him that they already moved.  She turns him around to look at their home and says, “This is our home” – in all its ramshackle glory.  It’s around this time that scores of rats suddenly run away from underneath their house and then it crumbles to the ground. 

That night finds them on the evening news.  It turns out there was an earthquake, but the epicenter is nowhere near they live, so no wonder it was only their poorly bit house that was affected.  The reporter wants to know if they hadn’t been able to figure out that they’d bought a house from a black-dealing real estate agent.  XQ’s father protests that the person who sold their home was an honest person, and the reporter’s just like, “Really?  Did you really think a ramshackle house on an empty corner lot was legit?”  It’s intimated that the only reason they bought in this location was so that XQ could attend the local, elite high school, and so she’s asked what her grades are like and how she feels knowing that her father had bought this sorry house for her.  Poor XQ and her father.  They look like gaping fish on the news as they struggle to know what to say with questions being hurled at them from every direction. 

The next day, XQ arrives at school to find her two best friends and A Jin and his two best friends trying to solicit donations from their friends.  [I should mention, because I didn’t earlier, but there was a scene where we were introduced to A Jin.  XQ and her best friends were spending their free time on top of a school building when all of the sudden, two thugs appeared and kicked the table in front of them away. Then, A Jin appears.  They look like intimidating gangsters, but he snaps his finger and then his two friends rush forward to set down a new table that’s covered in a cloth and pretty dishes.  It’s a veritable feast of hairy crab legs and they’re all for XQ.  She comments that he’s a great cook and always makes the most delicious foods for her.  When the two best friends ask what they get, they’re given two tea eggs, one for each!] 

XQ hides behind a tree trunk initially, but as she needs to get past her friends to reach her classroom, she hitches her backpack over her head and tries to hurry past.  A Jin’s friends have been trying to shake down the other students though, so when they see this person running by without giving them any sort of attention, A Jin immediately grabs for her and asks who she thinks she is to ignore them like that.  Of course, it’s XQ and they minute they see her, they want her to say a few words on her own behalf.  She’s embarrassed, as I think anyone would be under these circumstances, and tries to pull herself out of his grasp but neither he nor their friends are letting her go.  It’s around this time that ZS arrives at school with another guy next to him.  The other guy is the nerdy type and ZS’s classmate.  He’s also mean.  Everyone calls him “fake ZS” because he tries to be as smart and cool as ZS.  But, ZS, for his own part just treats him dismissively.  Anyway, A Jin asks ZS and this nerdy guy to contribute to XQ’s relief fund.  ZS says he shouldn’t have to pay for other people’s stupidity and starts to walk away.

ZS’s words anger XQ, especially as she never asked for anyone’s help.  It was her friends’ doing.  She says it’s not fair for him to look down on people like her and observes that the only difference is that their name isn’t on the same scoreboard (which happens to be right behind them).  She makes a promise then that she’ll make it into the top 100 of their class on their next test.

Later that day, they’re all on the tennis courts.  XQ and her friends/classmates are picking up balls.  XQ is distracted though, because she keeps watching ZS playing doubles on a nearby court with Sha Hui, his classmate and the second female lead.  After ZS and most everyone leaves, the head of ZS’s fan club appears.  She berates XQ for having tried to distract him with the her love confession the other day and reminds her that they all agreed to keep their undying affection to themselves in order to not disturb him.  She then makes fun of XQ for having promised to make it on to the 100 scoreboard.  One of XQ’s friend tries to stick up for her, pointing out that the head of the fan club hasn’t anything to be proud of because the only reason she’s also in Class A (or at least some other higher class, although I’m pretty sure it was also Class A) is because she took the school entrance test three times, so now she’s way older than everything else.  This causes the fan club head to call upon others for support and soon it’s a matter of intimidation as now there’s a whole row of indignant women in front of XQ against her three.  Eventually, the others leave and XQ and her two best friends collapse to the ground in relief.  Her best friends wonder what she’s going to do because now it’s going to be really embarrassing if she doesn’t make it onto the 100 scoreboard.

That evening, as she and her father sort through the rubble that was once their home, XQ suggests that she take a break from school to deal with their home and to help save money.  Underneath her breath, she adds that this way she’ll also avoid having to make good on her promise to make it onto the 100 scoreboard.  Her father won’t hear of such a thing though.  School is important and he’ll figure out a way.  He starts to tell her about a close friend he’d once had while growing up, and it’s around this time that a fancy car stops outside their home and a man gets out.  It’s the chauffeur.  He explains that his employer didn’t have the time to come see them personally, but he sent his car for them.  Looking at each other, XQ and her father step into the car and then they’re brought to a beautiful home behind a gated entrance.

Inside the gates, under a canopy on the lawn, a gentleman around XQ’s father’s age is trying to fold origami with the help of the family’s maid.  The maid berates him for his lack of skills and wonders how he’s going to please his wife if he won’t learn properly.  He agrees that his wife likes these sorts of romantic gestures.  This turns out to be XQ’s father’s childhood best friend and, as XQ and her father alight from the car, his wife comes running out of the house.  She greets them happily and just then, an toy airplane bonks XQ on the head.  Every one turns in the direction of the corner of the house where there’s a little boy.  The mom calls Yu Shu over and introduces him to XQ.  When XQ offers her hand, he calls her stupid and says he doesn’t want to live with her in case her stupid is infectious.  Mom laughs and says stupid can’t be infected.  She then tells XQ she can’t wait to have her living with them, as both her children are perfect students and so she’s never gotten to experience all the trials and tribulations that are supposed to come with being a mother.  As proof she grabs the stack of paper from the maid, the same stack that the maid and her husband had been using to fold origami, and shows them how they’re all test papers with perfect scores.  After shoves the papers into her husband’s hand in order to take XQ into the house, XQ’s father asks to see one of them as he’s never gotten to see what a perfect score looks like.  Haha.

Inside, the mother says that their older son’s not yet home because he’s working at the office but she’ll meet him later.  He’s also a student at her school and suggests that they became a pair, so that XQ can be her daughter for real.  XQ says that can’t happen though as she’s already in love with someone else.  The mother says that’s a shame.  But all around the house, on the walls that they’re walking past, are pictures and certificates that all belong to ZS, of course. 

Inside her new bedroom, XQ struggles with what to do with all the pictures she has of ZS.  After her failed confession, she feels like she should give up and burn them, but on the other hand, she can’t bring herself to that either.  In the end, she still hangs up the pictures and posters that she’s created in homage to him.  She also dresses her bed with the comforter and pillowcase she had made that features his full body length.  Once she lies down in bed, it has the effect of looking like he’s lying down next to her, looking at her.  She pats his cheek on the pillow next to her and tells him to sleep well.  And at that moment, his voice calls out, “What are you doing?”  It’s the real ZS standing in the doorway!  And to be fair to him, he did knock, but she just never heard it because she was cooing over her bedspread.  (Haha.  Omg, such mortification.  This probably was my favorite scene in the movie.)  XQ is shocked to learn that he’s the older son she’d heard about earlier and ZS is thoroughly disgusted by this bedspread (and who could blame him.  It is kind of creepy), but she just says they were cheap or something like that. 

The next morning, ZS’s about to ride off on his bike to school when his mom waylays him.  She instructs him to give XQ a ride.  ZS asks why she can’t ride one of their many other bikes, but his mom just points to the rack of bikes behind them and says, mysteriously, all of their tires went missing this morning.  XQ offers to take the bus instead, but his mom won’t hear of it.  In the end, ZS just shoves his backpack at her and tells her to hop on.  She quickly complies and as they ride off, XQ is sooooo happy.  She gathers up the courage to put her arms around his waist and just as she completes the circle, he stops his bike and tells her to get off.  They’ve arrived at the bus stop and he tells her that once they reach school, she’s not to talk to him or tell anybody that they’re living together.

Later that day or another day, I can’t remember when exactly, XQ gets a text on her phone.  We only see her laugh and smile before forwarding the text to someone else.  Not too long after, ZS comes to find her in her classroom.  He stares at the graffiti on the walls with utter disgust as he waits for her, while inside everyone wonders why ZS would be looking for her.  XQ rushes out to meet him and pulls him to a place where they can talk uninterrupted.  She asks him why he came looking for her when he was the one who said they should never talk to each other, lest people figure out they were living together.  He holds up his phone and asks him what that’s all about, and she’s all innocent as she’s like, “What?  Your mom sent it to me and I thought it was cute, don’t you?”  It’s a recent video of the family at karaoke.  The mom introduces her daughter and then she steps aside to reveal ZS dressed up as a girl and dancing.  What a good son to indulge his mother on her birthday like that!  Anyway, ZS does not agree and orders her to delete the phone.  She says fine, but before she presses the delete button, she asks him to help her study for the upcoming test so she can make it onto the 100 scoreboard.  Left without a choice, ZS agrees and XQ deletes the video. 

…Next up, studying for the test! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

@kokodus ~ watched a nice fluffy hallmark movie and thought of you -- "love, romance and chocolate". it was good. think I enjoyed the food more! hahahaha... and I am not even a fan of chocolate! :lol:... it is all about chocolate makers. so there is lots of scenes with them just making chocolate and eating it.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

@themarchioness thank you for the recap!! I can’t wait for the second half!! 

It’s also a holiday here.. wait, are we from the same area?

11 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Truer words were never spoken.... same thing with drama endings, we want to know how things end, but we don't want the experience to be over.  What other drama truths can we think of?  :) 

+2

As for drama truths, another one for me is this:

“I’m just going to watch 1 more episode and then I’m going to bed”... 3 episodes later I’m still watching. :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, mouse007 said:

@themarchioness thank you for the recap!! I can’t wait for the second half!! 

It’s also a holiday here.. wait, are we from the same area?

As for drama truths, another one for me is this:

“I’m just going to watch 1 more episode and then I’m going to bed”... 3 episodes later I’m still watching. :joy:

There are probably going to have be more than 2 parts to the recap... I haven't even reached halfway point yet with the first post.  :P  

I think you mentioned recently being from Canada?  I'm in the US.  

And yes!  That is sooooooo true.  Definitely a drama truth!  ;)  

• Like 5

@themarchioness When I first saw the trailer for this, I didn't know how Darren Wang was. But then @kokodus told me about "Our Times" which I just saw the other day so now that I watched the trailer again, I'm even more excited about the movie!!

Yes, I'm in Canada. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, packmule3 said:

hahaha. That's me! Complainer Extraordinaire and Resident Sourpuss. 

By the way, to make everything easier and less confusing for me, I've devised a new system for the reaction emojis.

This means people shouldn't tag me on Mondays. I only give angry emojis on Mondays because well... it's a Monday. Who's happy on a Monday? Better to tag me on weekends. hahaha. 

@staygold, Cinderella? I've got your back, dear! @Table122000, thanks for being my partner. @Lmangla and @sushilicious, thanks for that anti-love game. @Sejabin, hope you're feeling better. Take care of yourself now. 

See y'all later!

+2

Edited:  586

sorry my dear im not following that system as u know i only have one reaction for you :P 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

@themarchioness some more drama truths:

1. "There's too many sweet scenes between the OTP" said NO ONE EVER
  2. There is no such thing as watching your favourite dramas/scenes way too much.
  • Like 4
  • LOL 3