Quantcast

Add and Subtract Game

+2

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Never watched GOT.  :o.  I read about the hype and never got into it.  But that’s exactly what hubby said too.  That it had that GOT feel to it. I guess given its (GOT) cult status Witcher had to be compared to something so GOT was the natural choice.  It’s gotten increasingly explicit and gory.  I left Hollywood for the cotton candy land of KDrama for this exact reason so I am not sure I want to go back to that.  Never played the game either or read the books so I have nothing to compare.  Didn’t the male lead play Superman before?  It takes a bit of getting used to the whole background and world building complete with strange terms.  So I would wager it would appeal quickly to original Witcher fans but for newbies like me it will take some time to wrap my brain around what roles each type of being plays in the fantasy world. 

Because of the gore, the explicit scenes and the rough world it is compared to it. It has the same vibe, but like I said, it is very less political and way more magic. The games are very explicit too, especially the first games were that way. 

Yeah, the male lead was Superman, that's also why a lot of people weren't happy with the lead. It's a known face and the character Geralt is quite different than Superman. The drama actually tells the story before the games and is closer to the books. Especially the character of Siri suffers from it, because in the games she is kickass.

I haven't watched the whole drama yet, only the first couple of episodes, but I read that it is gets better after the first few eps.

@kokodusBecause....

giphy.gif

• Replies 136.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jillia

• kokodus

• Lmangla

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re-watch party: Season 1 (sageuks)   All our chingus, come and join us for a special sageuk re-watch party event!   We have chosen three sageuks: 1) Faith (with Lee Min Ho)

This is a rare event, but we put up a k-pop poll (tagging @Lmangla). BTS released their first English language song ever yesterday. Check out the video! The song is pretty catchy!  

@partyon I generally am not that much attracted to sageuks. Faith was my first costume drama, I remember being very confused on what was going on in that drama and I actually dropped it initially, the

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

Because of the gore, the explicit scenes and the rough world it is compared to it. It has the same vibe, but like I said, it is very less political and way more magic. The games are very explicit too, especially the first games were that way. 

Yeah, the male lead was Superman, that's also why a lot of people weren't happy with the lead. It's a known face and the character Geralt is quite different than Superman. The drama actually tells the story before the games and is closer to the books. Especially the character of Siri suffers from it, because in the games she is kickass.

Ahh probably why my son never played the games then.  We sort of restricted the ratings of games he played to certain levels of violence and explicitness.  There was a lot of blood and guts (Call Of Duty type stuff) but nothing that I would say was overtly explicit.

I got a bit lost as they kept throwing all sorts of different types of characters at the audience (some of which were foreign concepts or concepts remodeled for the Witcher world eg elves, sorcerers, mages).  And then there was a lot of background that the noob audience had to get their mind around eg The Cleansing, feuds between people groups etc...it gets confusing if you’re coming in cold (like I was).  Hubby may still watch it.  He can take a lot more gore than I can.  When it’s overwhelming I tend to get numb to it and I check out mentally.  And with it my interest wanes.  Thus far the only character that appeals to me is Ciri (ironically) - yes she’s all weak and helpless at the moment but she’s got potential.  Geralt and Yennefer lost me after gratuitous s@x scenes.  :mellow:

PS I agree with you regarding your abs.  Keep your shirt on. :lol:

• LOL 4

5 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Ahh probably why my son never played the games then.  We sort of restricted the ratings of games he played to certain levels of violence and explicitness.  There was a lot of blood and guts (Call Of Duty type stuff) but nothing that I would say was overtly explicit.

I got a bit lost as they kept throwing all sorts of different types of characters at the audience (some of which were foreign concepts or concepts remodeled for the Witcher world eg elves, sorcerers, mages).  And then there was a lot of background that the noob audience had to get their mind around eg The Cleansing, feuds between people groups etc...it gets confusing if you’re coming in cold (like I was).  Hubby may still watch it.  He can take a lot more gore than I can.  When it’s overwhelming I tend to get numb to it and I check out mentally.  And with it my interest wanes.  Thus far the only character that appeals to me is Ciri (ironically) - yes she’s all weak and helpless at the moment but she’s got potential.  Geralt and Yennefer lost me after gratuitous s@x scenes.  :mellow:

PS I agree with you regarding your abs.  Keep your shirt on. :lol:

Haha yeah, the games are all M rated. :D So only for 17+. Witcher games are even harder and more explicit than the series. 

Well it really is a drama made for fans I guess, but they did try to also to get the "normal audience". But Fantasy Dramas always require some thinking and background info. Probably also why the tell the story before the games, so technically you do start from 0. 

Yeah, Ciri is about to change though, like I said, in the (later) games, she is a pretty badass kicking monster.

Mentioned scenes are even more frequent in the games. 

Thank you. :D It's too cold anyway.

Sigh I am not sure why JI ChangWook had to post the smoking video recently?  It just seemed so unnecessary?  Is he so desperate for publicity?  Even if it’s negative?  I know a lot of actors smoke and I know JCW does too but to post it so blatantly online just seemed thoughtless on his part.  It’s a PR nightmare.  The response online was scathing.  Maybe he’s depressed from the lackluster reception of MMS but still...this is not the way to regain the spotlight again.  :unsure:  And it wasn’t even like he was saying anything mind blowing... he merely said, “it’s too cold to sleep...but I am still happy” or something to that effect... he could’ve said it without the cigarette.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
1 minute ago, ktcjdrama said:

Maybe he thought he was posting to his private account? :P 

I doubt it.  He’s in NYC now.  I think agency sent him away to get away from the furore.  Personally I think he just wasn’t thinking straight at that moment.  One of those sleepless night postings... big no-no for celebrities.  Reminds me of Trump and his tweets.  He’s just come out of the army so getting back into the whole entertainment scene will take some adjusting.  His comeback drama fell flat despite high expectations.  He’s never been a very confident individual so it would’ve hit hard.  I hope he steadies himself and gets back on the horse with a better drama.  In the meantime, it may be better if he stayed in musical theatre for a bit to get his confidence back.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

+2

Maybe somebody told JCW that he is/looks smoking hot, but... 

JCW didn't know what it means. 

So he gave it a thought and finally believed that people think that he looks hot.... while smoking. 

Dhakra solved the case. No problem. I'm here all week. 

@nrllee Hiii, I’m sorry, been so busy, may be able to binge “The Witcher” tomorrow.  @Dhakra have you watched?

I did catch Star Wars IX today... it has been Disney’ed :lol: I actually like The Mandalorian better.  What caught my eye with the trailers was Mulan the live action movie.  Looks great!

@triplem I will be in Vietnam 12/26 then Bangkok and Singapore.  Open to tips from you.  Hanoi, Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh City. @nrllee downloaded Stranger, Jack Ryan and The Witcher for the trip.  Also dl Amazon’s The Aeronauts.

• Love 1
  • Awesome 1

+2

@bedifferentHey Bee, how's my fav Doc? Yeah I watched a few episodes and I like it so far.

Name throwing might be a bit confusing at times, but overall I like it. 

I also the how the Witcher is very close to the original. I read somewhere that the actor who plays Geralt actually talked with the voice actor of the games and adapted to his style, so it's similar. 

It's a rough world, no beauty, just the usual GoT like stuff. 

I only heard horrible stuff about Star Wars. Plot holes everywhere. How did you like it? 

44 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

I will be in Vietnam 12/26 then Bangkok and Singapore.  Open to tips from you.  Hanoi, Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh City. @nrllee downloaded Stranger, Jack Ryan and The Witcher for the trip.  Also dl Amazon’s The Aeronauts.

That’s a lot to cover... I guess it depends on how you like to travel.  I am not one to plane hop too much, I get air sick so if I go somewhere I tend to linger for quite a while in the one place.  I like Jack Ryan.  I haven’t watched the series.  Just the different movies with him as a character.  Currently slowly rewatching Life after going through Stranger a second time.  Witcher is a bit too gory and explicit for me.  I may just watch it to keep hubby company but I won’t be watching it on my own.  Haven’t heard about Aeronauts till you mentioned it.  I like Eddie Redmayne.  Not sure how I can watch it.  I don’t have Amazon Prime.  Only Netflix.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bedifferent said:

I will be in Vietnam 12/26 then Bangkok and Singapore.  Open to tips from you.  Hanoi, Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh City. @nrllee downloaded Stranger, Jack Ryan and The Witcher for the trip.  Also dl Amazon’s The Aeronauts.

Oooo ! Sounds fun & Vietnam is really such a beautiful country . I keep going back to different parts & every region has a distinctive cuisine 

Hanoi 

Spoiler

Are you planning for a one nighter to Halong Bay . I recommend it . There are a lot of cruise companies out there , you’ll be spoilt for choice . I did it twice . Love this company :https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Attraction_Review-g293923-d6206032-Reviews-Signature_Cruise_Halong-Halong_Bay_Quang_Ninh_Province.html?m=19905

lots to do & eat in the Old Quarter . But  after all the pho & bun Cha , you may be looking for something different  ; the seafood is fresh & the cooking style is unique 

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Restaurant_Review-g293924-d5513379-Reviews-Quan_Vi_Saigon-Hanoi.html?m=19905
Another place I like ( best to make reservations  ) 

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Restaurant_Review-g293924-d6207158-Reviews-Cau_Go_Vietnamese_Cuisine_Restaurant-Hanoi.html?m=19905

And nothing  like good ice cream 

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Restaurant_Review-g293924-d1124637-Reviews-Fanny-Hanoi.html?m=19905

You can also find it in HCMC

If hv time ,  check out this show . Pretty enjoyable 

http://thanglongwaterpuppet.org/en/new/

Danang. - the beaches are great but honestly, the trip is not complete if you don’t visit the Ancient Town of Hoi An ( I prefer staying here ) which is half hour away by car . 
If you want a quieter beach to Danang , check out An Bang beach , 15 mins drive from Hoi An. I like going there to chill

HCMC. Saigon is my least favourite among the several cities I hv been to but still worth checking out . 

Edited by Guest

@bedifferent Let me know if on your rewatch of Stranger if you think that ES flirted with SM or not.  Was she purely after affirmation or was she fishing for more?  I am currently having a conversation with someone in the SF2 thread about this.  :lol:  It’s hard to tell for sure I admit because it’s all innuendo.  And the fact that she died in SF1 probably means it’s a moot point anyway.  Purely intellectual.  I don’t think it’s an argument that can be won either way, it’s open to interpretation.  I think I will probably leave it at that with her and move on :lol:

• Like 2
  • partyon changed the title to Add and Subtract Game
  • Guest pinned this topic