Add and Subtract Game

Admin

@triplem :cookie::cookie:Cookies for u for brightening up my morning! Mr dimples! :love: 

@mouse007 You will love World owes me... The second male and female lead are smartly written. No usual insecurities and nonsense.

Also Tale of Nokdu and Flower Crew are extremely easy on eyes! Blessed days! 

+2

@Lawyerh I used to have anxiety sleeping away from home and my bed. But now I am so tired I m just thankful I get to sleep! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

13 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

Let's talk a bit about ship. 

*What make u ship a couple ? 

*Will u straight shipping them ? Or some couple took sometimes for the sparks to show ? Have u ever saw couple, no chemie at all, then suddenly there's fireworks?

*Will u ship a couple with no hope? Ex alrd married, got bf/gf? 

:joy::heart: haha... am a bit bored today... 

ooh fun question. can I still answer even though it was posted yesterday?

so what makes you ship a couple?

A1: so this is the serious answer but I think the answer is more than chemistry or spark. it is difficult to describe why some couples are fun to watch and why some bore you. someone on my ship once said something very wise and it struck with me -- every ship has their own character and vibe. that is actually true. so when you dig deeper, you find that often people will love or ship a couple for several reasons besides chemistry -- either they identify with the character or a trait or the situation or they really like the character or it is a dynamic they want in their own relationship and enjoy. all of this means each ship is unique in the way they interact and respond.

A2: to better explain, let me give example of a ship I was part of for two years or so!!!!!! ^_^ so while I have enjoyed watching fictional characters in dramas and you hope they get together, it wasn't intense. more like surface level shipping. so I was really surprised at myself when I joined the taecgui ship but what was cool was there were lots like me who were first time shippers. for many of us, (just ask @angelangie or @packmule3), there was something very cute about taecgui that we thought they would make a great couple in real life.

taecgui was part of global we got married and there was a language barrier where she didn't speak good english. however, it was really fun to see them interact and get each other despite that. there were certain scenes where he would forget and start speaking in korean and she would respond to him -- they were so in tune even though she doesn't know korean. they had a cute playful vibe which really wasn't that romantic for many. it was just funny to watch them interact. while we thought they were really cute like puppies, we didn't really take them seriously until the last episode where they say bye.

it was at this point you realize that both of them really like each other. I mean really like each other because guigui cried ugly tears and taec looked like he was one step away from crying himself. so someone posted this hilarious reaction where she was watching with colleagues who had no idea what the show was even about. even they thought these two really liked each other and were confused why there was a breakup -- how to explain that this is WGM, hahahahha.

Spoiler

....my co-workers were crying with me and started saying that this show is cruel....
.... They kept saying "I don't understand this"

"Why can't they be together" 

"Are they really married ? "  Why do they need to break-up"  ......

My Michoso day :

6 am - 11: 45 am ===> kept checking my ipad for updates, did not want to miss anything

11:46 am =========> Announced to my office mates that I will be watching something and will be     bawling my eyes out . And I will not have lunch because I know I will choke on my food from crying and eating at the same time.  They were all concerned because I am not emotional at all.  Had to explain what the WGM is all about. Of course they were confused and did not get the point of reality show but pretending to be married. 

12:00 noon ========> Tried to open iQIYI and another site but safari can't open it. Started panic mode. 

12:05 ============> decided to just watch Youtube 

12:11 ============> part 2 I was crying so hard I had to stop and told my co-worker that they needed to watch with me. Told them it will be in English so they will understand also. 

12: 15 ============> my co-workers were crying with me and started saying that this show is cruel. They don't understand why they had to break-up.  They asked me to stop the video and explain again coz they were so confused why "THE GUY" who obviously likes "THE GIRL" need to break-up. 

They also commented and actually surprised that Taed and GuiGui are "good looking people" .   

12:17 ============> continued to watch and cried with my co-workers -- mizchief, july 12

@mizchief -- I totally enjoyed your post! I have a question for you -- since we are all biased here, we obviously read it differently. But I want to know more about your coworkers' reactions -- did they think that it was a real couple? -- lmangla

First, they are already confused what the concept for WGM.

They kept saying "I don't understand this" 

"Why can't they be together" 

"Are they really married ? "  Why do they need to break-up"  . 

We were using my ipad at first, but when all of my five co-workers decided to pile up behind me to watch it, I had to use my desktop so that everybody can see it.   Now, imagine 6 women sobbing, sniffing and bawling (that would be me because I am more emotionally invested here) and all 5 have different comments while GuiGui was saying "Andwe" when the train came.  

Comment 1 : it is obvious it is painful for both that they are parting so why do it ? 

Comment 2: seriously put them together, and then when they are close, separate them ? That's CRUEL ! 

Comment 3: Look the guy, right there he cringed his face to stop crying !! Oh this is cruel! 

(I did not notice it until she pointed it out coz I was looking at GG the whole time not Taec. I will do a SC and send it to Angelangie you coz can't remember my photobucket acct. )  Bubble-AF actually posted it already in page 368.  

Comment 4 : Guys, we have a meeting at 1pm, we can't look like this !  Pause this, no more ! 

Comment 5 :  Ah, I don't really understand why, what is the point of matching them together and break them up. Look at that poor girl, she is devastated, like she is lost ! 

Me : no comment coz I was just crying 

Other comments :

*GuiGui looks young

*Both are good looking people 

*The guy is actually very detailed (this is during Taec's surprise - his notes above the picture to let GG know that he REMEMBERS EVERYTHING -- ALL THE DETAILS of their entire history together) 

*The shoes does not fit because look at how he walks  and yet he still wore them... great guy

They were confused because one of the reasons was that they thought that they were a real couple breaking up.  I guess because GG's reaction towards Taec leaving was just too devastating to be fake. 

I had to find your comment again to reply !   When I read your post, I just woke up and when I finally had time to reply, I could not remember what page it was -- mizchief, july 13

so it was only after ep 15, the ship really formed and went from just viewers to active shippers. so there were two reasons why the ship actually thrived for 2 years -- one was the group dynamic. we really had a blast giggling and laughing. most of the time, we were like the couple we shipped where we really didn't take anything seriously including the shipping. it was mostly time pass fun as a way to relax and hang out.

while we might have eventually lost interest because our brain was switched on, it was the couple's social media and other interactions that kept us going. so you might think that am saying this as a shipper but there were little incidents like taec getting subtly teased by his 2pm mates in variety shows had us tickling with laughter. so when taec first meets guigui, he tells her that they have to do 'gambei' (cheers) and she is confused because in taiwan, gambei means "one shot" and they are drinking coffee. she does it anyway because they are on a variety show LOL. so here's 2pm teasing him in another variety show after WGM with gambei.

Spoiler

2PM%25E4%25B9%25BE%25E6%259D%25AF.gif

because guigui was from taiwan, it meant that she would be openly asked questions about taec in variety shows and interviews and there was always a giggle and cheeky response. she also kept visiting japan very close to 2pm concerts and also randomly went to korea often (presumably for shopping LOL). and their social media postings had a certain pattern. the most expressive was taec's okcat posts. so he started a business with his mascot called "okcat". as part of the promotions, there would be regular posters and what was amusing to us is how much references there were to his WGM stint. he was certainly inspired and there was a character created called "bef" (a small bird, 'best friend') and okcat would take bef and visit seoul. bef seemed to be a tourist LOL. :lol:

this poster had us cackling because he released it on chinese valentine day (may 20) and the tweet was titled "together day" which makes no sense as it doesn't exist in korea.  :joy:.. so maybe he was just being smart at marketing but we found it hilarious that he was releasing this poster on may 20 where okcat was saying I love you in multiple languages. so stuff like that kept us highly entertained. :lol:

Spoiler

BoEZXyRIcAAjvZ5.jpg

after two years or so, there was a kind of stop in their social media and we felt they they had parted (hopefully well). so we also bid goodbye with good memories and moved away.

too long of answer? hope it was entertaining though. :D

• Love 2
  • Awesome 1

@Sushimi ~ actually the whole shipping experience taught me a lot of random stuff. kekeke... so there are certain romantic dynamics that we are drawn to more than others. for example, fluff dramas bore me. don't ask me why. find them way too sweet. so yea, rather than the relationship, there is something about the dynamic that either interest you or bores you even if others see chemistry. but yea, taecugi was the only shipped in real life and within a drama, I am always aware that it is just actors playing characters. so I never ship the actors and am just looking at the characters relationship growth.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sushimi said:

Each shipper should know their boundaries, like you said, they are just working. They might not have the same level of love you thought they would have..Respect is the most simplest, yet some shippers doesn’t seem to know that :phew::unsure: and go all out in bashing others. Which gives shipping a bad reputation...

thats why I mention how each ship has a very different vibe and it is a reflection of the relationship itself. so I don't mean this unkindly but when ships behave in a certain way, then it makes me think badly of the relationship as well and often I disliked the dynamic and found it irking or fake.

but when it comes to why some shippers behave this way is because shipping is personal. people might think that it is strange but shipping is nothing but an expression of romantic hope and often, that hope is often deeply personal. so depending on your maturity level, it hurts when people point out the flaws because it feels like your dream is breaking and on some level, that dream is not about the ship but it is about you. so folks react in different ways.

when I was on the WGM thread (so non-shipper viewers), there were many situations and I had to be like a teacher/mod where I would explain that their behaviour makes their ship look really bad to non-shippers, to enjoy the ship regardless of how anyone thinks because they don't have to convince everyone to enjoy it. for some, any criticism is seen as making their ship invalid and they feel awful because they can't take it. a part of them agrees with the criticism which is why they act so rattled. so then you have to teach them that criticism happens everywhere in the world and you have to roll with it. that used to be my regular lecture when it came to unruly shippers ranting angrily on the WGM thread because we didn't post favourable thoughts on their ship.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, Sushimi said:

It's good that you are watching something easy on the eyes..after you watch SFH your degree on your eyes might increase cause it's literal very dark. Lol

That's how I balance the brutal with the fluff! :sweatingbullets:

@Lawyerh Sleep is everything!! :heart: 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMdzcpg4umyNlwr4zrE8f

@triplem I m so going to watch Catch the host. I missed Moon Geun Young on screen! And Dimples is a bonus!

I glance the add/subtract posts from bottom of the page up. I was confused with 'shipping'. There are massive online sales going on here so I thought it was something online shopping! :lol:

I am not a loyal shipper. I conveniently abandon ships as soon as drama ends. Or many after a few months! :tongue:

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, Lawyerh said:

And what you mentioned about several reasons why we start to ship some couple, are very interesting. It could be our projection to what relationship we want or its just something that interesting & challenging.

Cos for me, I often shipped a boat that don't have much chance irl. I think I just love the sense of unrequitedness.

you know there's probably some psychology there. in some ways, we all feel for unrequited crushes/love stories because we all had those moments and so we feel it sharply. another way to think about it is unrequited love is safe in some way. since it is never returned, you basically get the feels but there is no disruption to your life or your dreams or plans or goals. ^_^

1 hour ago, Sushimi said:

is it weird that I respect bromance more than normal romance couple? 

i actually don't understand bromance at all and so would not be qualified to answer. however, I do really enjoy siblings and family relationships in dramas. it is why I enjoy daily and weekend dramas more than pure romance dramas. I enjoy all those complex relationships and if they are dysfunctional makjang, give me a popcorn and I will watch with glee. it is like a free round of gossip and I can really enjoy because none of them are real. kekekek... . so from that perspective, maybe you just value other relationships just as much as romance?

• LOL 2

12 minutes ago, angelangie said:

hahaha i been told to keep an open on this....i was like....okie just not that i dont like them or cant accept them....

however i prefer brotherhood friendship term better than being called 'BroMance' 

same here! high five. for me, brotherhood friendship is so special and the word bromance feels like a sad episode of masterchef where they take a good dish dish and turn into something strange.... :sweatingbullets:

Spoiler

source.gif

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, angelangie said:

*What make u ship a couple ?

my answer to this is very simple......because they look good together 

bwahahah.. I like how your answer is so precise and simple whereas mine was one loooooonnnnng essay! :joy: hahahaha.. but it has been a while since we got to talk about taecgui and so maybe I just got very excited. kekekek....

• LOL 2

13 minutes ago, Sushimi said:

Ehhh don’t say it like this~ I look at bromance as a great Best Friend friendship. Lol. 

kekekke... so this will sound like a rant, sorry! but I really dont' get why a good friendship is tagged in this weird mixed category of friendship and romance. why? all relationships are precious in their own way and they serve a purpose. our different relatives. it is why we have aunts, mothers, uncles, fathers, cousins, brothers, sisters, etc. friendship is also precious but for me, tagging romance and friendship together in this mashup word seems like a sacrilege and insult in some way.

what's wrong with the word friendship? it feels like a good friendship has been corrupted by unnecessary shades and it reduces the friendship into something strange. thats why I don't like the current times where people don't seem to value friendship on a pure basis. throughout history, every great literature has a character of a great friend. this friend has their own lives and history but is there to support the hero or heroine through their journey and then they go off. friendships are beautiful on its own and is a good thing.

that said, am like @angelangie, I don't get it but I will try and not diss something I don't understand...

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, Lawyerh said:

One more question guys :joy:

Do you like similar personality couple? Or opposite attract personality more? 

I think opposite attract more interesting to see lol.

Im not too loyal with my ship to @staygold... haha.... 

kekeke... trying a short answer. hahahaha. so when I was younger, I loved the opposite attracts. there will be fireworks, word battles, glares -- so much fun! but then as you get older, you also see how some similar personality couples are also sweet and can be so moving even though they are the quieter romances. you get appreciation for both. so now am like @angelangie, the visual attracts you, then dynamic makes it interesting, you are ready to enjoy the couple in the drama.

@staygold ~ am not a loyal shipper either. many times, right after they get together in the drama, I absolutely lose interest in them even while drama is airing. ^_^ ofcourse, this problem is most relevant for those who watch daily and weekend dramas. but it has happened even with shorter dramas where I am like "ahem, can these two breakup? they are so boring!"

• LOL 3

@Lmangla Shipping takes too much energy and time! I wud rather watch and drop newer dramas! :lol: 

I am trying to recall which otp chemi blew my mind. As in both the leads were equally good and balanced each other perfectly.

Edit: Was it IU-LJK in scarlet heart? There was also this pair in Age of Youth:

• LOL 3

jang dong yoon in Nokdu intro scene looks like rambo on extreme diet!

7 minutes ago, Sushimi said:

only the FL is clever  enough to figure that out lol

wht clever... she had to accidently find the jewels! :lol:

• Naughty 2
  • LOL 1

I will just say. FL dressing up as a Male, ML dressing as a Female, it’s such a interesting concept. I for one am not really caring about the backstory of Nokdu just yet. I’m more interested on their Chemi! 

+2

Its one of my favorite too , nearly addicted  to it :joy: I was tagging @Lawyerh to watch it  too :joy:

how politely my unnie is , she not want to discover any thing :mrgreen: - need time to prepare 

+2

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Sushimi said:

You should watch Nokdu. He is handsome. I for one don’t go for flower boys but...he is handsome in so many ways :love: Wah the can see chest one I wahhhh then his hair wet also. :love:

@Sushimi the life is so funny he want to be a great fighter but end  to be honey that attracts the bees  :joy:

15701014701570101388.gif

+2

• LOL 3