Add and Subtract Game

Admin

Okay don’t flame me.  I may not finish HDL.  Something’s bugged me since the start and I have finally put a finger on it.  I will stay for a bit longer for curiosity’s sake (because visually this drama is a feast) but I may not last to the end.  Don’t read if you are a massive IU fan.

Spoiler

I find IU’s acting patchy - it’s great in segments but I am not utterly taken by her character. I am blown away with her wardrobe and everything about her screams “look at me”, but I just can’t accept that she’s “scary” or dangerous to trifle with. This wouldn’t have been a problem except all the employees keep throwing this concept at me that she’s the scariest one in the Hotel...but...I just can’t feel it.  She’s cantankerous and b-tchy but not scary or creepy.  So whenever she’s taking her anger out at staff I just feel like she’s throwing a massive temper tantrum (similar to a child) but it’s ineffectual.  She’s roars like a tiger with no teeth.  She keeps threatening to send them off to the afterlife but it just feels like she would never do it.  So I guess she’s scary in so far as she may lash out at you for reasons outside your control but she’s not “dangerous”.  Maybe that’s what the staff mean by “scary”?  I guess I was expecting a bit more crazy unhinged.  Like Lee DongGun’s emperor in 7Day Queen.  Where the tantrums had bite and was potentially life threatening.  It’s not a massive let down.  Just me being nit picky :lol:

• Like 2

@Sarang21 welcome welcome... yes I am watching WWW

@nrllee I get what you mean about IU’s character but I don’t really mind it because one, it is a fantasy drama that tends to exaggerate things, and next, the way I interpret their “scary” is that “you don’t wanna mess with her” kind of thing, not dangerous.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

33 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

@nrllee I get what you mean about IU’s character but I don’t really mind it because one, it is a fantasy drama that tends to exaggerate things, and next, the way I interpret their “scary” is that “you don’t wanna mess with her” kind of thing, not dangerous.

Yeah maybe that’s what they mean :).  Anyway I can really only manage 2 dramas at any one time so I will probably drop HDL (and just read recaps) for Dr John which premieres this weekend.  DS60 I will be following but I need to carve out time to watch this week’s eps.  Reading comments about Ep5 it looks like PMJ may be getting his mojo, earning his political stripes.

• Like 2

Just to qualify my feelings about IU and HDL.  She’s still doing a good job on the whole.  And HDL is worthy of the buzz.  I just hope them bringing the drama forward because tvN had to push AC3 back doesn’t affect the writing/acting/production too much (I read that’s what happened? Can’t be sure of the veracity of this fact).  They probably thought they had a lot more time to get through it.  

• Like 2

I was wondering why Sec Cha (in DS60) looked so familiar, apparently he’s the actor that turned down that massively hyped drama King Eternal Sovereign with Lee MinHo in it.  I remember reading about it and then thinking why on earth he would turn down something as big as that because it wasn’t like he was a big hallyu Star with a ton of choices.  Maybe DS60 was why?  Who knows?  Maybe he didn’t like the script for KES. :huh:

http://koalasplayground.com/2019/06/13/k-actor-son-seon-gu-declines-drama-offer-for-kim-eun-sooks-the-king-eternal-sovereign/

• Like 2

Sorry-going off topic to real life. KJH has admitted to sexual assault. I read he's married-is that correct or was it a screen wife? Korean men generally speaking look at women as playthings. No wonder all the K dramas show devoted bfs/husbands cos there may be very few of them in real life. Korean women need to escape reality by watching K drama. 

• Like 3

@Lawyerh @nohamahamoud2002   ~ read about kang ji hwan. in the beginning, it seemed like his dramas were doing well and he was on this rise. then in the middle, he just seemed to have problem with agency, dramas were not too good. difficult to describe but it felt like that the joyful spark he had in earlier dramas had disappeared from his face and he wasn't happy. have seen quite a few actors have this kind of trajectory where it then ends on some sour note. but it still feels weird reading this news about him...

• Like 4

How did Go Go Squid get its name?  I mean the Chinese has nothing to do with squids?  The literal translation is “My Beloved, The One I am passionate about (Hot in Love for)”?   It baffles me. :lol:.  I am not watching it but it pops up as one of the hot topics and I can’t help laughing every time I see it.

• LOL 2
  • Insightful 1

17 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

564. @Lmangla Yes. If look back to his old interview, he was more cheerful back then (guerilla date). Recent interview he often looks a bit dull. But actually, his drama acting quality was getting better for me in this recent year, rather than when he was very booming. And i thought he more refined in personality now & seems calmer. So this sudden news hit me quite bad.

Call me silly, but my sleep a bit disrupted lol.

But im kind on acceptance stage now. 

I can understand why you feel you are silly but you know what I have learnt -- sometimes our emotions about the dramas and actors we like are tied into something else altogether.

so will give you an example. years ago, this happened to me. was watching this kdrama on tv and we had to go annoyingly visit my relatives. was hoping to come back home and see the end but it didn't happen. I was so upset that I was in tears and my relatives were like whats wrong with this girl? but actually it wasn't about the drama -- I was searching for a job and getting nowhere and just felt frustrated. so in my head, it had been like get through this drama and something will surely turn around, I will get a job -- some sort of naive hope and me realizing that I was just silly had me crying.

so @Lawyerh , you will have your own reasons on what connected you to his performance and thats why some sleep disrupted. but good to hear you are in acceptance stage now.

• Like 2