Add and Subtract Game

Admin

another movie plot -- it was japanese and I watched it on a flight. so maybe it was decent hit? has anyone seen it and remember the name?

it was a train station master... putting in spoiler as it is quite long....

Spoiler

plot: it was set in the early 1900s? and rural japan in winter. there was ridiculously great cinematography -- the kind that makes you feel winter is harsh but very beautiful. so it is about this train station master who is old, cranky and misses his wife who passed away. (no kids). so this station is one of those where trains go through but not too many people get off. so on the day of his wife's death anniversary, this young woman with a baby gets off. she then abandons the baby at the station with a note saying that she is on the run from loan sharks (yakuza) and will return to collect once it is safe. station master is annoyed but because the baby shows up on his wife's anniversary, he feels like his wife is ordering him to look after the child. so he does very reluctantly. to his exasperation, baby grows up to be a very naughty tomboyish 10 year old girl who is constantly getting into trouble at the village. whenever the villagers complain and say "your daughter did this", his response is "she is not my kid!".

so after one scolding, girl decides that she will go and find her mother. so she drags this village kid who she plays with and goes off on a cross-country trip. station master assures boy's parents that he will find the two kids and takes off. all sorts of things happen. (can't remember exactly)... but anyway, through the trip, the station master realizes how attached he has become to this girl. so girl almost finds her mother -- basically she sees her across a lake/bridge/river and is wondering what to do. at this point, the station master shows up and asks her to come home -- tells her that she is his kid and no one, including his dead wife, can tell him to give up this daughter and even if the young woman comes back, he will not hand the girl over. the girl then decides to go home.

the movie then ends with a shot of the local festival. girl yet again breaks something in some village stall. villager goes and complain and the station master is like "what did my brat do now?"... liked how the characters basically didn't change -- old man was still cranky and girl was still bratty but their equation subtly changes where they are now firmly father and child. and she is still getting into trouble at the village but she is now firmly part of that community and that change is also very subtle..... guess thats why I remember it?

can't believe I remember so much even though I watched it years ago!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

@ktcjdrama i think u mentioned My Mister is a good drama? I might be going to watch it. Come across this editing.. and im interested...

Yes, My Mister is a great drama. It started a bit dark, but it has great development and ending. Very recommended. I suggest take your time watching it, don't rush through it. I marathon-ed it, but I believe I would have enjoyed it much more if watching live, with the wait in between weeks and discussion with forum members.

2 hours ago, cenching said:

@ktcjdrama

Sky Castle Rocks!!! I am on episode 11 and it's on fire!! YEAH!!! The casts are superb and their acting are stellar...

O yeah!!! So has anything made you laugh yet? Hahaha.... It's definitely on my highly recommended drama list, and I would not hesitate to push people to watch it ;)

@sushilicious That MV of Outbound Love got me hooked. It's the kind of music that creates that old melo-rom feel for me. Really like the song. The title translates to "Really want to hate you" LOL....

• LOL 1

On 5/11/2019 at 3:01 PM, lynne22 said:

@CamelKnight how are you doing? What do you think about GOT S08?

@sushilicious hahaha i know right? Its sad tbh...

@Sejabin There’s actually this one modern C-drama that is right up your alley, Well Intended love, but sadly, there’s no reliable subs right now. We’ll have to wait till Netfilx finally airs it with subs.

+2

Oh I'm dissappointed to be honest. I loved it up to S8 but the way they're writing things is just... ugh... Final episode tomorrow (well, tonight but can't watch until tomorrow) and I think that's a good thing. Though I'm curious as to how it will end, I think they made a bunch of mistakes in this season. I don't see any possibility for redemption but who knows. They might surprise me.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

14 minutes ago, sushilicious said:

Hhaahah that ost will be there during the entire drama except for probably the last few episodes where they switch to another ost which i love. Called Half a step more. Wow that song is niceee! And that Male lead was my bias haha. I hold on to him until he got married. Haha

Checked it out... Yes, great song as well. Love the feel...

I can't find where to watch the drama though. Can you PM me where to find it?

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

O yeah!!! So has anything made you laugh yet? Hahaha.... It's definitely on my highly recommended drama list, and I would not hesitate to push people to watch it ;)

Cha Family and Woo Family are quite funny but the rest are creepy. But still I can't really say that Sky Castle is a comedy....:sweatingbullets: So many familiar faces in that drama. It's seem like they gathered many second third fourth leads and some minors characters from other dramas and rolled them into Sky Castle...:lol: I am a bit curious with Teacher Jo the wing man of Coach Kim. He seems to be not THAT creepy and seems to knew a lot too....

The ladies dressed really2 well from top to toes, definitely one of the highlight...:lol: So many Manolo scattered around...:lol: The actress played Coach Kim is a superb actress, her subtle changes of expression is awesome....

+2 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cenching said:

But still I can't really say that Sky Castle is a comedy....:sweatingbullets:

It's not the comedy we are usually familiar with... They call it dark comedy, or black comedy. A satire... I'm not good in explaining, so here's from the dictionary:

"The definition of a satire is the use of irony, sarcasm and humor to criticize or show the ignorance of people."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Lmangla the first movie sounds familiar. But for the life of me , I can’t think of the name . 

@sushilicious hv not watched HK dramas in a decade . So I won’t know the ones you do. I tried picking it up again but it lacks the feels for me

Edited by Guest

54 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

It's not the comedy we are usually familiar with... They call it dark comedy, or black comedy. A satire... I'm not good in explaining, so here's from the dictionary:

"The definition of a satire is the use of irony, sarcasm and humor to criticize or show the ignorance of people."

I know it's a dark comedy but I am having problems to laugh at it because the dark is more than the comedy....:sweatingbullets:

• Like 1

@ktcjdrama

But it's a really superb drama that didn't comes along often....Everything is flawless and makes me sitting on the edge of my chair. I am on episode 14, I need a break for my beauty sleep tonight and continue tomorrow....Too heavy to keep continue...I will gain plenty of wrinkles from frowning and grimacing....:sweatingbullets:

+2

• LOL 1

1 minute ago, staygold said:

Does Sky castle have a satisfactory ending? Might bite into it seeing how good reviews have been here.

@ktcjdrama

What do you think???

For me so far so good, plenty of twists and turns, bumps and holes along the way....I marveled at the phenomenal level of hypocrisy of the people involved though....:lol:

+2

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

26 minutes ago, staygold said:

Does Sky castle have a satisfactory ending? Might bite into it seeing how good reviews have been here.

I thought the ending was very satisfactory, acceptable and made a lot of sense. Please do give it a try and watch... However, there are viewers who thought some people got away too lightly.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

@ktcjdrama Mister ep 1, lol quite depressing & dark indeed.

Actually whats the genre of My Mister drama? Melo? Slice of life? 

It's not a melo. It's slice of life... Hang in there, it will get better, I promise... First time I watched, it was difficult for me to continue too, but it's going to be worth the time...

@sushilicious I caught a little bit of the first part, if that's what you mean. Although I missed the part how he actually survived....

Btw, I'm onto ep.4 of Outbound Love now. Really enjoyed it... but it's more like a rom-com instead of melo? Or will that come for later? I can't wait for her to start falling in love with the guy in Penang!

3 minutes ago, sushilicious said:

Wooooo that’s fast! :joy:

the romancy-emotional stuff will come at the end. Yes! I love Ruco! The Penang guy’s real English name :joy: he looks so good with earrings haha

This is a first for me to successfully advertise outbound!

The story is interesting and I really like the natural acting from everyone. Sometimes I feel bad for the boyfriend though because he seems to really love her, but just can't get rid of his bad habit.

Sky Castle is getting gripping and gripping....:skull: I have to recharge for tomorrow last 4 episodes....This is definitely one of the best K drama. One of the rare dramas that I watch without FF button. I put it up there with Money Flower. 

@staygold

You should watch it...

+2

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1