Add and Subtract Game

Admin

2 hours ago, angelangie said:

yes was worried about it myself but then i guess it is not as hard after you settle it in :) 

I haven't seen Hwarang although I did watch the three "flower boys" (as you called them lol) on the variety show 2 days, 1 night. Some days I like to watch variety shows instead of dramas because I don't have the patience to wait for all 16 episodes. Like you, I prefer to go on a Kdrama marathon. 

@emiry32, I'll echo @CamelKnight's recommendation for Goblin. It is a good drama. The only caveat is the ending's open to interpretation. :wink: If you want dramas with pretty endings wrapped in a pink bow, this Kdrama may not be for you. I did like it, however, because I was able to make peace with an alternative interpretation for it. 

@Lmangla, good luck with your move. I know squat about feng shui, but I found out about it when a good friend of mine, a Taiwanese American, didn't want to purchase a house with a front door facing a T-intersection. If I remember correctly, she said bad luck would rush into the house (or was it good Iuck would leave the house?).  

I'm like you, however. I pay attention to the sun location in the morning. You see in the winter, when it snows, it's less trouble to shovel snow on the driveway and sidewalks if the front of the house is facing the morning sun. :wink:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, phikyl said:

Does that mean I sound old?! ./gasp :lol:

hahahaha... @phikyl ~ that has happened to me. in my early days at soompi, someone thought I was a grandmother by the way I wrote and I was like what???? I am only in my 30s! so I stopped writing in proper english with capitals etc and used a less informal style. hahahahah...:D so while I came down from grandmother age, some disgruntled shippers referred to us folks on the WGM thread as bitter ajummahs and I was thought, I am not middle aged yet!! please!!! waaaah!!! hahahahha.. :lol: my understanding of ajummah is someone in their 40s/50s right? or is it one of those terms like aunty? I got called aunty pretty young because I have a nephew who is only 15 years younger than me but it was so weird to hear it from some neighbourhood kid when I was going for a walk -- "aunty, what is the time?" and I was like I am no longer "big sister"? when did I get old?? kekekek... :lol:

@packmule3 ~ some of these cultural stuff can sound strange in a modern context but I learned that sometimes, there is a logic to why those rules existed in the long ago years. for example, it is considered bad luck to sweep the floor or cut your nails etc after sunset -- I always thought it was ridiculous till my aunt pointed it out me that that before electricity, people had access to little light. so you might sweep away something precious or step on pointy stuff in the dim light -- hence the rule to sweep and clean before sunset. but then, over time, it changes into a good luck/bad luck saying which sounds weird in a modern context. the problem is most people don't know the context in which these kind of sayings were created. ..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, angelangie said:

@Lmangla yea i know we live in rental for over 10 years ++ and then finally i managed to earn enough to get a small apartment with my lil sister lols so that we can house ourselves :D 

@packmule3 lols i remember u saying about not sharing us for the mod signup lols but then i did it quietly so u werent fore-told? :D 

@CamelKnight cant fault you for loving Goblin, honestly it has it charm but probably just not for me i guess :D & yes waiting is painful so i decided to switch off for a bit and i got hook into 'Marriage Not Dating' not too bad....have it funny moments especially in episode 2 :D:D:D though kinda draggy towards episode 8 to 12 i would say :) 

lols i didnt really pick Hwarang....cause it is too flower boys for me to be honest....man this make me feel old :D:D:D well Goblin is honest not that bad.....i love 1 particular part in episode 2 beginning episode 3 hahahaha wont tell u what to avoid too much spoiler :D 

Marriage Not Dating is fun too, but Goblin beats it by miles. At least when you're into Romance with a capital R!

I have a good feeling about what scene you love :D 

Hwarang is one drama I will most likely not watch. I just can't stand Goo Ara. Dunno why, possibly the massive eyebrows or something. It's just off putting for me.

4 hours ago, packmule3 said:

I haven't seen Hwarang although I did watch the three "flower boys" (as you called them lol) on the variety show 2 days, 1 night. Some days I like to watch variety shows instead of dramas because I don't have the patience to wait for all 16 episodes. Like you, I prefer to go on a Kdrama marathon. 

@emiry32, I'll echo @CamelKnight's recommendation for Goblin. It is a good drama. The only caveat is the ending's open to interpretation. :wink: If you want dramas with pretty endings wrapped in a pink bow, this Kdrama may not be for you. I did like it, however, because I was able to make peace with an alternative interpretation for it. 

@Lmangla, good luck with your move. I know squat about feng shui, but I found out about it when a good friend of mine, a Taiwanese American, didn't want to purchase a house with a front door facing a T-intersection. If I remember correctly, she said bad luck would rush into the house (or was it good Iuck would leave the house?).  

I'm like you, however. I pay attention to the sun location in the morning. You see in the winter, when it snows, it's less trouble to shovel snow on the driveway and sidewalks if the front of the house is facing the morning sun. :wink:

@emiry32 Watch Goblin. Seriously. I've seen about 100 K-Drama's since March 2015 and it's the best one by far. I didn't feel like the ending is left open (at least not so much as in Scarlet Heart: Ryo for instance). The romance flows strong in this K-Drama, my young Padawan!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

what is a drama trope/term that you picked up on after joining soompi?

what drama trope?

makjang!! It means an insufferable melodrama written by a sadistic scriptwriter who's paid to ruin my mascara. 

I'm allergic makjang plots. 

47 minutes ago, CamelKnight said:

Marriage Not Dating is fun too, but Goblin beats it by miles. At least when you're into Romance with a capital R!

I have a good feeling about what scene you love :D 

Hwarang is one drama I will most likely not watch. I just can't stand Goo Ara. Dunno why, possibly the massive eyebrows or something. It's just off putting for me.

@emiry32 Watch Goblin. Seriously. I've seen about 100 K-Drama's since March 2015 and it's the best one by far. I didn't feel like the ending is left open (at least not so much as in Scarlet Heart: Ryo for instance). The romance flows strong in this K-Drama, my young Padawan!

Scarlet Heart? I tried to watch the Chinese version but the male actors all looked alike to me (no I'm not exaggerating) so I couldn't follow the conversation. :blink: 

******* we're still at 752*******

sorry, I tried to edit and add this quote, but it ended up as a separate post. 

*********hahaha**********

thanks for the edit, @angelangie and merging these two posts together! 

@packmule3 ~ I absolutely enjoy makjang when the show is advertised as such. you are watching it for the over-the-top ridiculous that makes you laugh. hahahahha... it is only when shows pretend to be serious and then give makjang twists annoy me because I am not sure if I am supposed to switch off my brain and switch it on in other parts. :lol:

but a fun term I picked up from soompi -- the truck of doom! kekeke... it always cracks me up when people refer to it. and it has changed colours and people notice that too! kekekek... so it used to be hyundai green truck, then drama PDs were using white trucks. in a recent drama, it was bright orange dump truck. so much attention from someone who hardly notices cars! hahahah :D

• Like 1

@Lmangla: So using proper English is my downfall huh? Well... I guess I'm stuck sounding like an ahjumma then because I even use proper English for text messages; just can't get the hang of all those acronyms. :lol: 

As for drama trope...hmm. Probably the water slap? I knew it was a thing used in soap operas [tbh I'd never seen it outside of a soap opera until watching k-dramas] before Soompi, and I had seen it in k-dramas but didn't realize it had a name until I joined Soompi. 

@emiry32: I am jumping on the Goblin train with everyone else [though I admit that I was pretty upset with the ending until @packmule3 posted her alternative ending]

@phikyl ~ what is a water slap? are you referring to someone throwing a glass of water in another's face? didn't realize that it was called something! kekekeke... :lol: and yea, I don't abbreviate much either in text messages. vowels are there for a purpose! use it!  hahahaha... :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, packmule3 said:

what drama trope?

makjang!! It means an insufferable melodrama written by a sadistic scriptwriter who's paid to ruin my mascara. 

I'm allergic makjang plots. 

Scarlet Heart? I tried to watch the Chinese version but the male actors all looked alike to me (no I'm not exaggerating) so I couldn't follow the conversation. :blink: 

******* we're still at 752*******

sorry, I tried to edit and add this quote, but it ended up as a separate post. 

*********hahaha**********

thanks for the edit, @angelangie and merging these two posts together! 

I was let down with SC:R tbh. It's got IU, who I think is the bomb, but the story was just boring to me. It's got it's fun moments, but this one wasn't really for me.

• Like 1

@phikyl, is the ending of the Korean version happy? I think that's the other reason I didn't want to slog through 20+ episodes if the OTP isn't even going to have a Happy Ever After. I want my fairy tale ending. :tongue:

@Lmangla, another drama trope? Amnesia. 

Pwahahahaha. The stupidest plot I've seen that used amnesia was Nice Guy with Song Joong Ki.  Brain damage/amnesia was the overarching theme: he was diagnosed with some sort of lethal brain disease so he decided to blackmail his ex and get some money for his poor sister before his death. 

Or something like that. I can't remember....

See? Amnesia is highly contagious with that Kdrama :blink:

@angelangie I have to watch Married Not Dating when I get back to the US. I tried to read the recap from Dramabeans, and the Kdrama seems to be a wild roller coaster ride, with three (?) couples breaking up and matching up in the first two episodes.

But with my sons, I tend to put a wall up between me and the GFs during the early months of their dating. Especially when my sons were younger. Their relationships rarely lasted more than 9 months, and I personally didn't want to get involved with their puppy love. 

But now that they've kinda settled down with their GFs, and my sons are getting to that marriage-able stage, I've invited their GFs to a couple of family "traditional" events. The ladies can get to know their potential in-laws and I can satisfy myself that my sons have made good choices for their future spouses, mothers-of-their-children and helpmates. Lol.  I don't want to sound as if I'm creating a dynasty here and I'm extreme vetting their GFs.... :tongue: 

I like to think that my sons and I are close; that's why I can see a little bit of me -- my character or my personality -- in their current GFs. For better or for worse, moms are their sons' first loves, you know. :) And their future loves will always be measured against their "first" loves. But ultimately, my sons' love lives are THEIR love lives, and it isn't my business to manage them. 

• Like 2

@packmule3 ~ your post reminded me of this recap of a reality show "married at first sight australia"; for some reason, all the recaps are full of snark and even more hilarious than the actual show. ... 

"In the most shocking Married at First Sight twist yet, Vanessa has married her father. Granted, he looked like Andy, he talked like Andy, and he was a great lump of good-natured oafishness like Andy. But any fool could see she was really getting hitched to her old man.....

"He's really introverted and I'm really extroverted" and a million other words spilled out of her mouth while her Pops, who bears a passing resemblance to Sigmund Freud, nodded his head sagely

"You're the same," she went on. "You're a man of few words. You just have no expression some times. Why?"

In a cutaway interview, Sigmund offered his diagnosis. "Girls seem to seek out someone that is similar to their father," he said, stroking his beard and inviting the cameraman to lie on the couch. ..............." :lol::lol:

(in case you are familiar with the american version, in the aussie one, they actually can't get married due to law. so it is a commitment ceremony where they pretend to be sort of married for 8 weeks. basically aussie version of WGM except with non-celebs. hahahahah)

@packmule3 it's an open ending but the overall tone of the drama is angst. Definitely not anything lighthearted! I was in the mood for tears when I watched it so it worked for me.

@angelangie Yeah, I still adore SH:R and I probably won't change my signature for a long time because of it. Definitely in my top five favorites! It might be the version I watched but I didn't think the editing was that bad. I heard that in the international version the editing was so bad that the story didn't make sense so when I watched it, I steered clear of that version and went for the SBS version. 

9 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Pwahahahaha. The stupidest plot I've seen that used amnesia was Nice Guy with Song Joong Ki.  Brain damage/amnesia was the overarching theme: he was diagnosed with some sort of lethal brain disease so he decided to blackmail his ex and get some money for his poor sister before his death. 

kekekek.... @packmule3 ~ remember reading the recaps and wondering how many times can one person get amnesia. and if I remember she also got it like some contagious disease. LOL....

a drama commentary that I find highly amusing when you are on a thread is spot the PPL. kekekek.... if the PD is really loyal, the PPL shows up several times over the drama in amusingly ingenious ways.. like sitting down for orange juice and then storming off and then the camera zooms in that perfect glass of orange juice... hahahaha..... :lol:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, packmule3 said:

@phikyl, is the ending of the Korean version happy? I think that's the other reason I didn't want to slog through 20+ episodes if the OTP isn't even going to have a Happy Ever After. I want my fairy tale ending. :tongue:

@angelangie I have to watch Married Not Dating when I get back to the US. I tried to read the recap from Dramabeans, and the Kdrama seems to be a wild roller coaster ride, with three (?) couples breaking up and matching up in the first two episodes.

But with my sons, I tend to put a wall up between me and the GFs during the early months of their dating. Especially when my sons were younger. Their relationships rarely lasted more than 9 months, and I personally didn't want to get involved with their puppy love. 

But now that they've kinda settled down with their GFs, and my sons are getting to that marriage-able stage, I've invited their GFs to a couple of family "traditional" events. The ladies can get to know their potential in-laws and I can satisfy myself that my sons have made good choices for their future spouses, mothers-of-their-children and helpmates. Lol.  I don't want to sound as if I'm creating a dynasty here and I'm extreme vetting their GFs.... :tongue: 

I like to think that my sons and I are close; that's why I can see a little bit of me -- my character or my personality -- in their current GFs. For better or for worse, moms are their sons' first loves, you know. :) And their future loves will always be measured against their "first" loves. But ultimately, my sons' love lives are THEIR love lives, and it isn't my business to manage them. 

This!

Also, I just checked how I rated Married Not Dating. Ouch. 6.5/10. And only because of... well let's not give hints away about the story. But if it weren't for that, it would've been even lower. Reading back what I wrote about it, it all came back to me. Nope. Wouldn't watch it a second time.