Add and Subtract Game

Admin

4 hours ago, kokodus said:

@Lmangla But I really liked the k version as well. And I do think the background behind why he is so insecure is explained well in the K version. His father is a jerk and treats him and his mother badly. They don't go deeper here, they just mention about their divorce, I believe. And they also rushed his story in this version, don't you think?? Everything happens in one or two eps. They could've spend more time in these two and explored his character more. But I did like that we got a solid happy ending with a cute date in this one. It was missing in the k version.

yea, absolutely. even though their story was rather cute in the kdrama version, it was rushed . but here, they fleshed out not only his character but also hers and their journey that it got unexpected depth. guess, it stood out to me more because of that... when I watched the FMVs for ximen and xiao yu, the journey seems more complete. like there is montage of them talking about wine in canada. so basically they have common interests in food and worrying about ah si/shancai. hahahahah... so it doesn't seem as flaky as just an attraction. there was an easy going friendship where they feel comfortable.

and their interactions during her confession basically gave it that depth that was missing earlier which is why she didn't come across as clingy. so she tells him that she loves him and he basically responds with "me too. thanks" -- it sounds like he is mocking her but at one level, it is like he is acknowledging how he feels. she challenges him by plainly asking "why can't people who like each other be together?" and we can see her question play out in loop and him walking like a zombie. so she is cutting down his bravado by challenging him to admit that the feeling is mutual. and we can see the effort it takes him to distance himself from her.

her making the moves on him comes across as clingy till she explains that she doesn't want to have regrets. she knows that she is not his usual type and is not looking for a relationship of any sorts but she doesn't want to waste her life on "what ifs" and regrets and so would rather have that moment however short or long it was. and we can see his head spinning at this stage as he is the one who pushes himself away.

so it felt more organic that he would share his family history and his relationship with his crush and how that has impacted him. even her interest in tea doesn't come across as simply chasing as she has been working in a tea shop and has these dreams of opening her own shop. so we see a girl who may be naive but has lots of emotional EQ that she is able to cut through his shell and ask "what's going on with you?" and a boy who encourages her to become stronger but is himself emotionally lost and rudderless rather than typically bad... so different dynamic.... and not only a solid date, but two great kisses! so much more entertaining in this version :love:..

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Lmangla said:

LOL... not sure whether to laugh or find this romantic. am reminded of @TRaNz love for McD and if  @USAFarmgirl wrote a love story that features fried chicken and french fries - one true pair! :sweatingbullets:.. definitely a creative and entertaining ad.

@Lmangla Since I can understand Tagalog and grew up in the Philippines knowing the culture, this Ad totally gets to me. I feel like although they did a great job with the subs, nothing compares with actually understanding what's being said in the language being used. The impact is just so much better. It is at times like this where I regret not being able to understand more languages and cultures.. I feel like the dramas I watch would resonate even more if I did.

@kokodus I actually started watching MoA episode 1 but I got caught up with work so I wasn't able to finish it. I also started venturing into Encounter/Boyfriend since you've been mentioning it a lot. I also didn't finish episode 1 although I plan to continue when I get the chance.

@triplem Your trip sounds lovely and I would love to be able to visit South Korea one day. I drooled over the photo of grilled squid... so yummy! 

It's been busy for me since going back to work so drama watching is a bit of struggle. I try to keep up with it but I'm going at a much slower pace. I also love to read and miss reading so I recently purchased Michelle Obama's book "Becoming" (I was curious to read it and chanced upon it on sale so I couldn't resist) and I've been doing a little reading on the side (when I can!).

I am even more tired these days because of work so I end up going to bed earlier and also trying to spend more time with the kids when I'm home.

Life, work balance is hard! Don't you guys find that there's always so many things to do and so little time and energy to do them?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, mouse007 said:

Life, work balance is hard! Don't you guys find that there's always so many things to do and so little time and energy to do them?

@mouse007 Yeah... the more you think about it.. the more it made you realize that time is precious isn’t it? Made us cherish the time we spend with people we care about. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mouse007 said:

@Lmangla Since I can understand Tagalog and grew up in the Philippines knowing the culture, this Ad totally gets to me. I feel like although they did a great job with the subs, nothing compares with actually understanding what's being said in the language being used. The impact is just so much better. It is at times like this where I regret not being able to understand more languages and cultures.. I feel like the dramas I watch would resonate even more if I did.

ah so it was even better in tagalog? I actually liked the story and how it was executed; it didn't feel cheesy and I liked how they weaved in the food chain's menu offering into a symbolism of trying something new and finding it lovely.

but yea, in terms of translation, there is always sentiment and ideas that can be hard to translate and often a direct or indirect translation would never cut it. lot of our songs sound absolutely nonsensical when translated into english except they aren't conventional lyrics but often poems sung as a song. so words like moon, rain, river, sea have literary symbolism. referring to a lover as a moon indicates incredible angst -- there is some sort of separation which feels like a divide that cannot be bridged. so a lyric like "why did you turn into the moon?" or "moon, won't you come to meet me?" sounds ridiculous in english but we native speakers would be swooning over such angst....

definitely helps when you know the language. its why I find cdramas especially the palace ones hard to watch because I have to guess at the phrases meaning as the translations sometimes doesn't really convey the zingers. but the flip side is you learn new stuff!

• Like 3