[Mainland Chinese Drama 2016] Princess of Lanling King 蘭陵王妃

sugarplum892

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to confess I don't watch Cdrama that much because somehow in the middle of it all the storyline goes flat and I stop watching.  I am hoping I will follow this series to the end.  I am watching because of the second male lead, Peng Guan Ying as Yuwen Yong.  YY is someone whom protects QS with everything he does.  She is so dense not to see how much he loves her that it gets so annoying watching her.  It is so amusing to watch how at first YY didn't care for QS because he knew she has ulterior motives for marrying him but eventually his heart got the better of him...well at least up to now anyhow. 

Since this is the story of Lanling King and not YY, so knowing in advance he won't get the girl didn't make it any better for me, I am still rooting for him.

The OST also had me looking up that red flower, finally found the name: mànzhū shā huá or red spider lily.  The flower itself has a tragic legend,  I wonder if a Cdrama was made for this legend since it might be a good-sad one to watch.  It is said that the flower represents lost love for when the flowers appear the leaves will die in which leaves & flowers won't have a chance to see each other but each exists for the other....aizzzz.... how sad.  I was going to buy the bulbs for this flower since it looks so pretty, but after reading all the lores surrounding this flower...I am debating if I should or not.  

• Guest unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2016 at 9:03 AM, cantsleep said:

I have to confess I don't watch Cdrama that much because somehow in the middle of it all the storyline goes flat and I stop watching.  I am hoping I will follow this series to the end.  I am watching because of the second male lead, Peng Guan Ying as Yuwen Yong.  YY is someone whom protects QS with everything he does.  She is so dense not to see how much he loves her that it gets so annoying watching her.  It is so amusing to watch how at first YY didn't care for QS because he knew she has ulterior motives for marrying him but eventually his heart got the better of him...well at least up to now anyhow. 

Since this is the story of Lanling King and not YY, so knowing in advance he won't get the girl didn't make it any better for me, I am still rooting for him.

The OST also had me looking up that red flower, finally found the name: mànzhū shā huá or red spider lily.  The flower itself has a tragic legend,  I wonder if a Cdrama was made for this legend since it might be a good-sad one to watch.  It is said that the flower represents lost love for when the flowers appear the leaves will die in which leaves & flowers won't have a chance to see each other but each exists for the other....aizzzz.... how sad.  I was going to buy the bulbs for this flower since it looks so pretty, but after reading all the lores surrounding this flower...I am debating if I should or not.  

Watching this solely for YQS and YWY. I guess it's understandable for YQS because her first impression of YWY was a bad one. She feels like he's using her as bait from the beginning and any display of love from him makes her think he's faking it to get at something. YWY's personality didn't let him express his feelings clearly and fully. Plus the times when he tried to force himself on her (even though he wouldn't have carried thru with it) probably made her just hate his guts. Idk if YWY ends up with her but if you've been watching the past 2 episodes at least he got something!! 

• 2 weeks later...

I really loved Lan Ling Wang starring Ariel Lin and so thought I'd check out this drama. I only managed a few episodes and found it quite boring. All the casts are new to me. I've never seen them on my screen before. Yes, the actor who plays Gao Chang Gong is indeed very beautiful. A very very pretty guy. But his acting is awful. It's very lacklustre. His facial expressions are very stiff. I wanted to drop the drama. The only thing that was entertaining for me was the bickering and interactions of Qing Suo and Yuwen Yong. I decided to fast forward and only watch the scenes of QS and YY. And OH MY, I am SO GLAD I did. I LOVE these two together so much. Screw the storyline and everyone else. I just wanna watch these two bicker and fight, make up and care for each other. I had found Qing Suo very annoying at the start. She was too stupid and lacked common sense but I'm glad she's smarter now and thinking logically. Well, most of the time. She's still blind to YY's love for her. 

The best thing about this drama is Yuwen Yong. It's made me a fan of the actor. He's got the best facial expressions and you can see the love for Qing Suo in his eyes. The way he gazes at her. LOVE. Not only that, but Yuwen Yong is DAMN FINE! He looks HOT! Yes, Gao Chang Gong is pretty but he's the pretty boy type, whereas Yuwen Yong is handsomely HOT! Manly HOT. He looks so good in his ancient hairstyle whether he leaves it all down framing his face, half tied up or all tied up in a top knot. I love Yuwen Yong's height aswell. He looks so manly and protective when standing next to Qing Suo who is this tiny little thing.

Anyways, I feel like I'm not missing out on much when I fast forward to YY & QS's scenes. I know the main story from Lan Ling Wang and I'm only interested in these two. The rest bore me. Even Chang Gong. I watched his scenes with Qing Suo and it was only meh. He is definitely looking at her like he is looking at his dead sweetheart even though Qing Suo is the very same girl. I've gone way past the subbed episodes and watching the raws now. I understand some Chinese so I get the gist of what is said and what is going on. I'm around Episode 34/35 and finally my ship is sailing. Sort of. Still waiting for Qing Suo to come around but at least she's opening up to Yuwen Yong and have cut ties with Chang Gong. The interesting thing is she's starting to remember her past and it'll put her in a dilemma if she falls for Yuwen Yong but remembers her past love, Chang Gong. It'll be interesting to see how this drama ends. I wouldn't mind if they put a twist to it. Yuwen Yong has so much screen time that he really does seem like the male lead. Even his name is above Andy in dramawiki. I'd love for him to end up with Qing Suo. But from what happened in Lan Ling Wang, she'll most likely die, sacrificing herself for him. It would be extremely stupid of her to go back to Chang Gong even if she remembers her past. Episode 33 said it all.

SPOILER

Spoiler

When Qing Suo fell down the cliff, Yuwen Yong didn't hesitate to dive after her. It was interesting how that moment caused her to remember the moment she fell down the cliff (in the past) from being shot with an arrow and you see Chang Gong screaming for her at the edge of the cliff. The contrast was interesting. They both love her. While one watched her fall off the cliff, the other one dived after her. Comon, who deserves to have a happy ending in this drama? YUWEN YONG!

I've seen c-dramas before where they did a spinoff and there was a twist to the storyline. Say Bu Bu Jing Xin for example. I didn't finish it, but in that drama, the heroine falls for 8th prince first and then 3rd prince later. 3rd prince is her one true love. In Gong (The Locked Jade Heart), it had the same storyline but opposite love interest. The heroine liked the 3rd prince first but then falls for 8th prince later and they are the OTP. I found it was interesting. It was like giving the "second lead" a happy ending in a different drama.

I hope it's the same for Princess of Lanling King. In Lan Ling Wang, the heroine's true love was Gao Chang Gong, and Yuwen Yong was "second male lead". I hope that in this drama, the heroine's true love is Yuwen Yong instead. Fingers crossed!

Oh whoops. Sorry guys. Didn't mean to babble so much on my first post. I got a bit carried away.

Archived