[Variety] Abnormal Summit (비정상회담) - JTBC

Dropping by to see if anyone heard of this, is it really as big as it seems in Korea or are those comments exagerating when they suggest canceling the show as punishment? :/

Two days ago this was published to the Abnormal Summit instagram account. I can tell (roughly) it's a notice about an, according to the Knetizens, offensive Japanese song that played twice in the program. It has to do with invading Asia, the comments say, and it was used around the WWII times.

JTBC '비정상회담' 제작진입니다. 진심을 담아 사과 말씀을 드립니다.

A photo posted by 비정상회담 (@nonsummit) on Oct 27, 2014 at 8:24pm PDT

A translation of the notice would be appreaciates to make us better understand the situation, hope it's not that much of a serious one. I'll keep my opinion regarding the matter to myself till then.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some background to the controversies.
The backlash was very serious in Korea, as anything to do with reminding them the days of Japanese imperial rule would. Kakaotalk already withdrew their sponsorship. There were talks of petition to cancel the show and the criticism online was ugly. Fate of show is still up in the air. We will only know by next Mon if the show will continue to air.

please don't cancel the show

:(

I really want to comment on JTBC site but I dont know much reading hangul. Please send petition not to cancel this show. I will miss Zhang Yuan if it is cancelled. He is always try to be cool but end up being made fun of others. hehee...

Guest popiloey

If the show continues, I really hope that the issue will not affect the G11 dynamics, especially Takuya's position in the show. 

The programme aired as per normal yesterday, with a short text apology at the beginning of the programme. They had fired the contractor previously in charge of the music production for the programme, as well as production crew and PDs responsible for the mistake.

@JennyT

Thank you for your informative posts.

Like you @joykimlee and @popiloey I too was/am a bit concered for Takuya. But I trust the G11 to be suppotive of one another. If there were to be such awkwardness thier dynamics might be the thing to melt it out, I hope. :)

Some of the G11 are, reletavely, new to the celeb status. They seem to have been enjoying the good side of it thus far, I wish this sudden backlash did't have its way hard on any of them. ❤️

As I waited for last week's subs to come out, I tryed watching Takuya's 2012 movie, a live action adoptation of a Japanese mang (or anime, I don't recall). What a dreadful thing to do, it was too bad in video quality and almost all aspects of execution, still I'm so happy to have seen blond Takuya XD Turns out I liked him enogh to set through half an hour of that film :P

One thing I love about this show is how everyone in it seems to realize the difference between others' opinions and believes. Any G11/ MC would be teased, discussed over his opinion but not his believes. That's an extremely thin line to walk. I love how they're walking it gracefully for no hard feelings to build up.

My love doesn't extend to the Editers team. Besides the recent issue, the editing has gotten a bit beis and less smoothe as the show progresses. To my eye at least. Before I couldn't tell when anything was edited out now it's so abvoius how they cut certain members off. Poor Canadian rep. is a clear case.

First time posting here. For me as an International viewer who has been introduced to Variety shows (whether game or talk show or cooking) this is one show which is really fresh in concept and hardly any kind of shallowness is seen from the members.Also when they debate I don't feel any sense of vagueness coming from them. Even if they are in a grey area they voice it really well. And as they boys will be boys. They might shout, joke or get angry but once that moment passes, they become friends all over again. I hope PD's maintain this sincerity and a strong sense of vulnerability at least for the first season (if there is going to be a second season).

Guest gomgom28

first time posting in this forum, just come across this show last month and really hooked with it, really thankful that bumdi is subbing the show..
it give me many new information, btw I miss James and his British accent..kkk..so sad that ausniel is leaving TT
seems like every week there will be some one new coming filling the ausniel seat, I saw the preview this week is from lebanon but the next week ep is from peru
hope this show will be on the long run show

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adikkeluangman

Kim Bum Soo releases MV teaser for 'Home Meal' feat. Yang Dong Geun, Iron, Enes Kaya, and Kang Byul
Kim Bum Soo whet fans' appetites with the MV teaser for title track "Home Meal"!
The MV teaser features Yang Dong Geun (YDG), Enes Kaya, Kang Byul, and 'Show Me The Money 3's Iron who are seen eating a packed lunch, room-service meal, ramen, and fast food. At the end of the day, all they want is a home cooked meal which holds a different meaning for each person.

Kim Bum Soo's 8th full-length album will be released on the 21st at midnight KST. Pre-orders for physical copies will begin on the 17th. Kim Bum Soo's comeback special will also air on Mnet on the 20th at 11 PM KST.
http://www.allkpop.com/article/2014/11/kim-bum-soo-releases-mv-teaser-for-home-meal-feat-yang-dong-geun-iron-enes-kaya-and-kang-byul

i'm just watch 5 episodes from this show , and i'll be cont. 

this is the best show ever in my mind *o.k maybe cuz i start watch just yesterday lol * i really like and enjoy it more hope this show will be stay for 200 ep 

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, all these controversies just started up right when I just got into this show. It's a really good show, I hope it continues on as well. You know, the show is about understanding each other's culture and being able to unite as people coming from different backgrounds, so I totally understand why the staff thought nothing of playing Japan's national song. 
I mean, can this generation of Japanese be blamed for the song is still being used as their anthem? In fact, a lot of Japanese were against this song for honoring the emperor, and many were punished by the state for not showing respect towards it. The UK often uses "God Saves the Queen" and it celebrates the monarchy which totally ruled the world with imperialism. Does the rest of the world take beef and censor it on their TV broadcasts, though? I understand that the riff between Japan and Korea is still too great, but I also think it's time for people to let go of their nationalistic pride and really see the situation for what it is. The show is not broadcasted as a propaganda or hoax to make people angry. The national anthem in many countries is just a tradition that has gone on forever, and in Japan's case, it's safe to say that the lyrics has a different meaning to them than it did during the imperial reign.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived