[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

6 hours ago, Chi Le said:

[SBS] Saimdang, Light's Diary: 10.7→12.0

According to Nielsen Korea, "Chief Kim" rated 16.7%.

This is 1.2% higher than the previous episode and another record breaker for the fourth time in a row.

Second came SBS drama "Saimdang: Light's Diary". The sixth episode rated 12%, which is a 1.3% increase.

MBC "Missing 9" rated 4.4%. It increased by 0.6% but still, it's not doing a very good job at the bottom.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@UnniSarah

" just wondered if you could tell me what does each color means for the 21st Century chronology chart means ...  "

Black Lines - Relationship (various)

Black Dotted Line - Blood Line

Red Line  - love & affection (Ae Jeong, 애정,愛情), You may notice that the girl Anna ( 안나 ) the arrow is in one direction to Han Sang Hyeon as Jjak Sarang  (짝사랑) which means "one side love" or unrequited love

In the 16 century character chronology there is a blue line

Blue Line - Conflict or tension (Gal deung, 갈등)

For example Yi Gyeom & Jungjong has a blue line & written as Ae Jeung (애증, 愛憎) which means "love hate"

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Saimdang: Light's Diary" Episode 6

photo817773.jpg

Spoiler

Dramatic romantic opening notwithstanding, "Saimdang: Light's Diary" continues with its dual stories. Lee Gyeom tries to accomplish stuff at the governmental level, while Saimdang tries to maintain a basic standard of living at her home. Ah, this is...you know, one of the criticisms of putting Saimdang on Korean currency is that her role in Korean history has not been a terribly proactive one. I'm kind of baffled as to why "Saimdang: Light's Diary" is choosing to highlight this.

Because artistic composition is still a very much important part of Saimdang's life story, pushed as it is into the margins like this. So why is it that we're seeing more of Lee Gyeom's accomplishments than we are of Saimdang's? The artist's colony is an interesting concept, especially if, as is stated here, people of all social classes were allowed to join. But it also doesn't really have anything to do with Saimdang directly, so it's a bit far off from Ji-yoon's research prompt.

Speaking of which, the framing device in "Saimdang: Light's Diary" becomes more and more irrelevant with each passing episode. Here it just boils down to Ji-yoon taking her son to the museum to admire this old artistic work, while doing precious little to discuss the origins of this art and why it's still relevant and beautiful. Where's all the wonderful academic research we were promised?

The main bright spot here is, of all characters, Won-soo. Yes, he's a bit of a dimwitted oaf and yes, everyone in the family dislikes him for good reason. But he does bring some much needed down-to-earth comic relief to the situation. While Saimdang and Lee Gyeom are acting all swept in dramatics, Won-soo is there to remind us that everyone needs to eat. While this is admittedly somewhat at cross-purposes with "Saimdang: Light's Diary" supposedly being about art, Won-soo does at least bring something different to the usual clichés.

That much does appear to be my main continuing disappointment with this drama. All the right elements are sitting there in front of us, waiting to be utilized to tell an innovative story about how memorable and important a person Saimdang was. But it just isn't happening. The emphasis is in all the wrong places. There's no consistent arc for us to be moving toward. We still don't have the slightest clue how Lee Gyeom ended up in Italy and the production team is in no hurry to give us a hint.

Review by William Schwartz

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-saimdang-light-s-diary-episode-6-103142.html

5 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@UnniSarah

" just wondered if you could tell me what does each color means for the 21st Century chronology chart means ...  "

Black Lines - Relationship (various)

Black Dotted Line - Blood Line

Red Line  - love & affection (Ae Jeong, 애정,愛情), You may notice that the girl Anna ( 안나 ) the arrow is in one direction to Han Sang Hyeon as Jjak Sarang  (짝사랑) which means "one side love" or unrequited love

In the 16 century character chronology there is a blue line

Blue Line - Conflict or tension (Gal deung, 갈등)

For example Yi Gyeom & Jungjong has a blue line & written as Ae Jeung (애증, 愛憎) which means "love hate"

THANKS ! Seo Ji Yun  and Han Sang Hyeon?Is friendship or love & affection?

@andy78

" THANKS ! Seo Ji Yun  and Han Sang Hyeon?Is friendship or love & affection? "

The relationship is written as Seon Hu Bae (선후배, 先後輩) Senior & Junior University Mates

In the alternative, Han Sang Hyeon introduce to Go Hye Jeong that he is "05" (academic year) batch & greet Go Hye Jeong as his Senior

5 minutes ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@andy78

" THANKS ! Seo Ji Yun  and Han Sang Hyeon?Is friendship or love & affection? "

The relationship is written as Seon Hu Bae (선후배, 先後輩) Senior & Junior University Mates

In the alternative, Han Sang Hyeon introduce to Go Hye Jeong that he is "05" (academic year) batch & greet Go Hye Jeong as his Senior

thanks @gerrytan8063...both SS and JY will be in danger...Min is still searching SS...Will MIN wife betray SS again?

@liddi

Spoiler

" the Hangul text hidden within the memoirs was actually written by her when she travels back into the past, proof that SJY was there and lived Saimdang's life one time or another. "

It is a farewell poem name Farewell to Love from John Donne (Jon Deon, 존 던,約翰·多恩. 1573-1631), a 16 century English poet which was Seo Ji Yun favourite poem

It looks like she is leaving clues for herself

@andy78

" both SS and JY will be in danger...Min is still searching SS...Will MIN wife betray SS again? "

She had to exercise caution as she too was an eye witness to the Eunpyeongsa Temple massacre & she is living in fear with Min, knowing what he is capable of......

34 minutes ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@liddi

Reveal hidden contents

" the Hangul text hidden within the memoirs was actually written by her when she travels back into the past, proof that SJY was there and lived Saimdang's life one time or another. "

It is a farewell poem name Farewell to Love from John Donne (Jon Deon, 존 던,約翰·多恩. 1573-1631), a 16 century English poet which was Seo Ji Yun favourite poem

It looks like she is leaving clues for herself

i almost forgot the accident ...she was able to go back in time...was her in SS body...i wonder will she do it again?YJ going back to Joseon?SS and YJ lives are such a mess!Their husbands aren't helping them too much...the 2 of them are not happily married ...both of them are best moms for their children trying hard to give them a good life...

@gerrytan8063 Yes I agree, which then makes me wonder if:

Spoiler

SJY ends up falling in love with Gyeom when she travels back into the past and becomes Saimdang, or does the poem represent her empathy for what the star-crossed lovers went through, due to having lived, even if just a short time, as Saimdang.

Incidentally, I believe the poem is not John Donne's "Farewell to Love", but his "A Valediction:Forbidding Mourning":

:
Our two souls therefore, which are one,
Though I must go, endure not yet
A breach, but an expansion,
Like gold to airy thinness beat.
  :

Does she then quote the poem to comfort Gyeom, knowing that he will be shattered with Saimdang's passing (though I am not sure how he would be able to read it, seeing it is in Hangul), or more likely herself, knowing that she will be separated from him by death and time? Can't wait for this mystery to be revealed.

@liddi

Spoiler

" Incidentally, I believe the poem is not John Donne's "Farewell to Love", but his "A Valediction:Forbidding Mourning":

Seo Ji Yun mentioned the poem from my auditory perception as 고별사랑 (Go Byeol Sa Rang)...... "Go Byeol" (고별, 告别,Farewell) "Sa Rang" (사랑, love) therefore I assume & translate that as Farewell to Love since John Donne did have a poem name "Farewell to Love"

The note does quote the verses from his "A Valediction: Forbidden Mourning" which I reference with Korean is " 고별사 " Go Byeol Sa,告別詞

" Does she then quote the poem to comfort Gyeom, knowing that he will be shattered with Saimdang's passing (though I am not sure how he would be able to read it, seeing it is in Hangul), or more likely herself, knowing that she will be separated from him by death and time? Can't wait for this mystery to be revealed. "

Hangeul was created in 1443, therefore Yi Gyeom would have be able to read hangeul but it was not the popular script among the Yanban class. Hangeul only became the Korean official script after 1946

In this character chronology, there is a "question mark" box that mentioned "mysterious assistance" which could be the time travel Seo Ji Yun past live as Shin Saimdang trying to leave clues or messages for the present day Seo Ji Yun & after reading the verses, she had a sudden succumb of headache

RO24419821_w1000_h0.JPG

8 hours ago, liddi said:

The older ministers mocking the younger minister, saying they are too ignorant to even tell the direction, to which Gyeom rebutted that perhaps such ignorant people have the clarity to see the current problems. Although they may not have the knowledge or experience of older ministers, it is perhaps exactly the reason why they won't have preconceived notions about existing ideas

Gyeom tells the king that although he is of royal kin, he had experienced life as a vagabond, and is unfit to be in this gathering of talented scholars. When he asked for permission to leave, King Jungjong rebuked him, saying how dared he abandon a king who too was thrown alone into a company of so-called talented scholars, to which Gyeom apologised for being impulsive.

Longer scene of Gyeom playing the musical instrument, interspaced with Saimdang nursing her sick child

Saimdang reminisces about Gyeom's words while he paces in the garden

Thank you for the "missing scenes" and the explanation too.  I wish I could see it with the English sub...This has become a drama within a drama :wink:

Reveal hidden contents

I had a good laugh from the alternate version of a yet unaired event in SBS, which I think won't be much of a spoiler to share here:

When SJY and HSH left the café which used to be the location of Saimdang's home, she asked him to follow later since her mother-in-law is sensitive as far as HSH is concerned. HSH commented to himself that he felt a little offended at the implication, that her mother-in-law would actually think a upstanding bachelor like him would be matched with an ahjumma :D 

It is interesting that we have different couples, the young version of Saimdang and Gyeum, the adult version of Saimdang/SJY and Gyeum and also the mix of the young HSH and the adult of SJY.  The actor Yang Se-Jong is able to bring different vibes of being the young version of Gyeum and as HSH. (Wondering whether there is a significant in having the same person carrying two characters just like SJY who was surprised to see she looks the same as Saimdang)

p.s Don't mind reading the spoilers here too..:blush:

@Yongzura

Alternative Preview to Episode 7

Spoiler

Professor Min walks in to Go Hye Jeong office where Seo Ji Yun & her are trying to figure out the hangeul written verses of poem of John Donne " "A Valediction: Forbidden Mourning" 

Prof. Min: Seo Ji Yun....what are you conjuring?(What are you up to?). Is it not sufficient enough for you that you had chose to ruin the Seminar on Geumgangsan painting?

Just to note that in this drama the 16th century & the present day antagonist has the surname Min

Prof Min picks up the "John Donne" poem when Han Sang Hyeon comes in. Go Hye Jeong had already tuck Shin Saimdang diary under her clinical coat

Go Hye Jeong: Here after we cannot be doing this here any longer

Seo Ji Yun, Han Sang Hyeon & Go Hye Jeong walking the corridor

Seo Ji Yun: We will have to enquire another/alternative location for this

Jeong Min Seok (Seo Ji Yun's husband) sees a painting being carted away

Deceased Chairman v/o: Min Seok....Miseon Gallery is using slush fund & reserve to facilitate illicit payment....go there to look it up

Jeong Min Seok downloading data a USB thumb drive then makes a dash

Chairman Heo & Director Sun comes into the gallery

Chairman Heo: You had spent such a grand amount in few hundred million, only to purchase in obtaining a fake Geumgangsan

Durector Sun: Do you dare use this issue to come & threaten/blackmailed me, with every intention of getting the Double Entry Accrual Ledgers (commonly known as keeping 2 sets of books) off my hands

Jeong Min Seok eavesdropping on the conversation

Han Sang Hyeon brings Seo Ji Yun & Go Hye Jeong to his frequent night club (I think Han Sang Hyeon works as a DJ in the club). Go Hye Jeong is grooving dancing  

Seo Ji Yun: Are you suggesting that we use this location to do our research?

Han Sang Hyeon: Bingo!...Prof Min had already keeping surveillance on us...over here...this location....we can do what we please

What is already seen in SBS version

Jungjong is pleased at Yi Gyeom painting on the Dog & puppies & bestowed a Sujin-bang manor. Yi Gyeom name his manor Biikdang as Jungjong calligraphy the name

Yi Mae Chang finds her father Yi Won Su

Shin Saimdang forgive Yi Won Su debacle & asked him to study for his civil exam while Shim Saimdang will think on a way how to earn for the household expenditure

Jungjong asked Yi Gyeom to act as his "spy" on Min Chi Hyeong

Min Chi Hyeong asked Yi Gyeom about peony painting as Yi Gyeom said that it is a common flower

Yi Hyeon Ryong (Yulgok Yi I) tells his mother that he will just have a meal a day to pester his mother to sent his to school. Shin Saimdang tells her son that at their present situation it will be difficult for her to sent him to school - they currently can't afford as Yi Hyeon Ryong storms out in upset

Shin Saimdang finds Yi Hyeon Ryong & Yi Wu missing from the house & goes searching. Shim Saimdang is taken aback to see Min Chi Hyeong carrying Yi Wu

Flashback on the Eunpyeongsa temple incident

Min Chi Hyeong wants to know & find out the household that Yi Gyeom had his marriage call off

Shin Saimdang having a nightmare & woke up from her sleep

Shim Saimdang wearing a jangot & hiding behind the tree & spying at Min Chi Hyeong. (In the SBS preview, Shin Saimdang wrote to Yi Gyeom to asked him to beware of Min Chi Hyeong)

Annyeong S,LD fans!

Thanks for your insightful posts, I've enjoyed reading. I know that there are 24 more episodes to go, but I really think the drama is beyond brilliant. It's manifest how much effort is put into making it. The casting is perfect, the cinematography is stunning, and the story line is vivid, seamless, and intriguing. I hope it will garner more love it rightfully deserves. Btw, just my trivial twopence worth in regard to a past episode wherein the beautiful painting of the Water Moon Avalokitesvara was shown. Legend has it that the bodhisattva of infinite compassion and mercy, after seeing the state of suffering the people are in, his head split into several pieces. In connection with the drama, Saimdang's deep sense of compassion for the people was shown after visiting some hilltop village and temple, and her head was hurt thereafter (although to be exact, she was hurt in fleeing from the murderous rampage caused by the corrupt mayor Min and the high's officials debauched son). I thought the allusion as subtle and dramatic.

Anyway, nice meeting and happy watching!

For those who like to know the location of  Sujin Bang (수진 ,壽進) is now the present Chang Jeon Dong (창전동,倉前洞) in the Jongno District ( 종로구, 鐘路區). 

The shrine of King Gongmin of Goryeo ( 공민왕, 恭愍王, 1330-1374, reign 1351-1374)  is situated here. The King that was feature in the SBS drama Faith ( 신의, 信義 )

32834937325_5d7e94f5c0_n.jpg

32711491451_4489baa3dc_n.jpg

The portrait of King Gongmin & his Queen Consort Noguk

21 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@Yongzura

Alternative Preview to Episode 7

Thank you so much :blush: I'm very happy.  

@gerrytan8063 I just got the information that there is an exhibition of her painting till June this year.  This will be a chance for those who are interested to have a look at it.

524c095da105f5610af0f8bf89295fa0012232.j

The link to the news about the exhibition.

@Yongzura

For those who are interested, it is the Seoul Museum (서울미술관 - Seoul Mi Sol Gwan) in Buam-dong (부암동), newly open in 2012 with 6 floors of exhibition halls

Address: Seoul Jongno-gu Buamdong 201 서울특별시 종로구 부암동 201
Hours: 11 am- 7pm (5pm for the Seokpajeong) Admission: 9,000 won cover admission to Seokpajeong Tel: 02-395-0100  

Seokpajeong is referring to Seokpajeong Villa/Manor (석파정별당, 石坡亭別堂) is a former Royal Summer Villa/Manor which was the residence of Heungseon Daewongun (1820-1898, father of Gojong) that sits atop of the museum & on its own an art form in Korean architecture, was build skillfully with excellent craftmanship & harmonised with the scenic topography of its surroundings but alot of the original form was destroyed during the Korean War. Seokpajeong can be access from the 3rd floor of the museum.

Presently Seoul Museum, Buam-dong is a privately owned museum hence the expensive admission. The owner is Ahn Byeong Gwang, founder & CEO of Union Pharmacy. What is with the Chaebol fascination with art 

This will be a sample of a Hanok Manor that Jungjong would have bestowed Yi Gyeom with as a Royal relative

Directions: Take Subway Line 3 to Gyeongbokgung Station Exit 3. Then the local Green bus No. 1020, 1711, 7016, 7018, 7022, 7212 & Get off at the entrance of Jahamun Tunnel entrance

Alternative 

Subway Line 5 Gwanghwamun Station (Exit 2 and 3). Then take the local Green Bus No 1020, 1711, 7016, 7018) & Get off at at Jahamun Tunnel entrance

251C98495375A1F717EAA2

Entrance of Seoul Museum, Buam-dong

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOFJGmCxeZiR4pRRMafls

Seokpajeong sits atop of Seoul Museum, Buam-dong

It's great to know that there are people who are enjoying the drama. I learnt so much from reading all your posts.

I am fine with the pace for now. I see the past couple of episodes as setting the stage for the actual events to unfold. It is quite clever to see how Saimdang's life mirrored that of Seo Ji Yun present life. I am excited to see how lee gyeom will be helping Saimdang be who she is like how HsH is to SJY. 

Waiting eagerly for Wed and Thur!! 

Some references to the drama

32815770766_6e0e279898_n.jpg

In 1522, the Prime Minister ( Yeonguijeong, 영의정) in the drama is introduce as Yun Gyeong Bo (윤경보) is fictional. History record show that Kim Jeon was the Prime Minister from 1520-1523

32815903966_6eeef4cffb_n.jpg

Gu Yang Su ( 구양수, Ouyang Xiu, , 歐陽脩 1007-1072) is Song Dynasty Statesman & a Reformer. He was a great essayist, calligrapher & poet

Some references to the drama

32733461011_d6449f57ac_n.jpg

When Seok Sun purposely meet Shim Saimdang who think she is having a rendezvous with Yi Gyeom claims that she had come to the forest to forage Sa Sam (사삼,沙蔘, lance asiabell or Codonopsis-lanceolata), also known in Native Korean as Deodeok (더덕), use in oriental medicine for cough, lungs & anti inflammatory. It is known as a poor man's ginseng

32816829146_21e45af92c_n.jpg

This bug/insect is Cochineal ( 지충, 胭脂蟲, Dactylopius coccus ) a crimson dye producing insect. It can be use as a food dye & for fabrics

In the alternative, the actual whereabouts of An Gyeon Geumgangsan painting

Spoiler

32476497120_0d6685507b_n.jpg

32014726754_76e0fc0428_n.jpg

32014744914_ca58f5733d_n.jpg

If Yi Gyeom had burn An Gyeon Geumgangsan painting in Tuscany, Italy in 1551 then it will prove that Prof Min & Miseon Gallery Geumgangsan painting is a indeed a fake. 

My attempts to authenticate An Gyeon Geumgangsan that was feature in the drama

32735546841_22d6edd647.jpg

An Gyeon Geumgangsan 16th century 

Spoiler

32818107026_ba6742d58a_n.jpg

32705651742_44c2e5577b_n.jpg

32735683171_157d511b8c_n.jpg

Shin Saimdang attempts to copy An Gyeon Geumgangsan

Spoiler

32818231336_7405d7bde1.jpg

32859341025_7e6070a072_n.jpg

Present day, Mi Seon Gallery Geumgangsan.

The love verses of Yi Gyeom & Shin Saimdang is not on this painting therefore I will assume that Yi Gyeom burnt An Gyeon Geumgangsan painting in 1551. But there is another possibility that this Geumgangsan painting is painted by Shin Saimdang herself. This is just detective work

Saimdang episode 7 preview: Lee Gyum to receive secret message through young Woo

In episode 7 of Saimdang, Hyun ryong might risk his life to find out the hidden meaning behind his grand father's message.

Saimdang

Shin Saimdang with her youngest son Woo in Saimdang episode 6Twitter/SBS

Saimdang: Light's Diary, which is also known as Saimdang: The Herstory, will be back with episode 7 this Wednesday, February 15, at 10pm KST on SBS. Lee Gyum and Seo Ji-yoon are likely to feature new challenges because of Min Chi-hyung and professor Min Jung-hak.

Episode 6 of the Korean mini-series mostly focused on flashback sequences. It began by featuring a conversation between the onscreen couple, which inspired the male protagonist to look back at his cheerful young age.

When Song Seung-heon's character began painting and started attracting people towards him, ministers raised their disagreement to King Joongjong. But the ruler encouraged him and gave him the permission to stay in a large property owned by Royal Family in Sujinbang.

In the meantime, Lee Won-soo returned home and Hyun ryong confronted Shin Saimdang for not sending him to Jungbu School. When his mother explained him about their financial crisis, he left the house taking his younger brother with him.

While searching for her children at the newly formed art school, the female lead met the male antagonist Min Chi-hyung and it reminded her of his evil doings in the past.

The promo for episode 7 shows Lee Young-ae's character writing a secret message to her former lover alerting him about Whieumdang Choi's husband. It also shows Lee Gyum asking his helper to gather all the information about the low-level official.

In the meantime, Hyun ryong finds a letter in Shin Myung-hwa's book and his mother asks him not to disclose it to anybody. Later on, he gets involved in an argument with Oh Yoon-ah's character.

The sneak peek also shows professor Min Jung-hak confronting Seo Ji-yoon about her secret research work. "It was not enough for you to ruin the seminar with the Keumkangsando? What are you up to?" he asks her.

Watch Saimdang episode 7 this Wednesday at 10pm KST to know more about it. Until then, catch up with the first six episodes of the Korean mini-series online here.

Check out the official trailer for the period drama below:

Archived