[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

Finally caught the first 2 episodes, first with English subs, then again C-subbed. Gorgeous cinematography, interesting insight into the murkier side of academics and arts, and a very relatable portrayal of a woman who does her best to juggle both her family and career, particularly the desperation when she realises that it now lies on her to be the sole breadwinner with her husband leaving their family in the lurch, and the devastation as that the hope of a career is torn from her. With a mere 2 episodes in, it is only slightly reminiscent of A.S. Byatt's Possession with the discovery of the secret painting and diary, though I am a little less enamoured by the apparent fact that she might have time traveled back to the past sporadically as she delves more and more into Saimdang's secret diary. Perhaps I am hoping more of parallel storylines with the present day protagonists investing the past, which gets revealed to the viewer as they find out more, rather than supernatural elements that seem to be at play with the shattering of the glass leading to her momentous discovery. Nonetheless, I am sufficiently intrigued by what we have been given so far and hope that it will continue to reel me in and successfully flesh out the storylines across 30 episodes without feeling unnecessarily dragged down or drawn out. Fingers crossed it will deliver!

Interestingly enough, while watching Ep2 C-subbed, I had a sense of déjà vu from the days of MLSHR when I realised the version I was watching is different what SBS aired, with extra scenes that were not seen in the SBS version, and different start and end scenes. I am unable to find Ep1 for this particular version, but I believe that Ep1 ends with the owner gifting her the two items (48:47min mark of the SBS version) since Ep2 begins with her leaving Siesta Di Luna, and ending with her waking up at the hospital as the flower falls to the floor and disintegrates (41min mark of SBS Ep2). Seeing that Ep2 of this version is also ~1 hour long, I cannot help but wonder what other additional footage is there from its Ep1 :crazy: Now I am also really curious as to where this version came from, seeing there is no simultaneous broadcast with China due to the THAAD controversy. Oh well...

In any case, for those who are interested, the following are the extra scenes and differences that I have noticed so far in the alternate version of Ep2:

As Seo Ji Yoon opens the box, there is a flashback to someone (Lee Gyeom?) putting the pouch in

Hiding the painting in her closet (the SBS version had her taking the painting and the diary, yet cut directly to her at the conservation science department, without the painting in her hand).

Having a panicked encounter with Han Sang Hyun in the alley, after returning from the conservation science department

Close-up of young Lee Gyeom looking back at young Choi Whieumdang outside Saimdang's home (the SBS version has footage of him looking back at her from afar):

Young Saimdang grumbling as she leaves her room after being summoned by her father to see An Gyeon's painting

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some information on Korean ink painting on silk

hb_1987.278a,b.jpg

Evening bell from mist-shrouded temple (Hae Jil Nyeok San Sa Ui Jong Su Ri, Joseon, 해질녘 산사의 종소리 조선, 煙寺暮鍾圖 朝鮮) , Ink Painting on Silk, Style of An Gyeon (this is not An Gyeon original painting but from his School style of painting). This famed scenery is around the Xiang & Xiao Rivers in Hunan, China

Landscape painting illustrating scenes from China made famous in classic literature & the said places are often depicted in associated with nostalgic flourish in the early 15th century in Joseon while contemporary Ming Dynasty reputed painting tend to dwindle & copy the style of Song Dynasty period as mentioned the painting style of Guo Xi - Song Dynasty famed landscape painter

This Ink painting is painted onto silk then mounted onto mounting silk, as may see that the mounting silk is with embossed pattern or monogrammed. Hence Seo Ji Yun laid the suspicion that the Geumgangsan that Prof Min claim that it is An Gyeon is not, since the silk mounting of maple leaves traces to the Edo Period (1605-1868) & not 15th century An Gyeon

@UnniSarah

" Can't wait for your history lesson for this drama"

I do my best to the best of my knowledge

4 hours ago, liddi said:

In any case, for those who are interested, the following are the extra scenes and differences that I have noticed so far in the alternate version of Ep2:

As Seo Ji Yoon opens the box, there is a flashback to someone (Lee Gyeom?) putting the pouch in

Hiding the painting in her closet (the SBS version had her taking the painting and the diary, yet cut directly to her at the conservation science department, without the painting in her hand).

Having a panicked encounter with Han Sang Hyun in the alley, after returning from the conservation science department

Close-up of young Lee Gyeom looking back at young Choi Whieumdang outside Saimdang's home (the SBS version has footage of him looking back at her from afar):

Young Saimdang grumbling as she leaves her room after being summoned by her father to see An Gyeon's painting

@liddi, now that you mentioned it, it does remind us back to MLSHR.  Thanks for the links..  does it mean that we have to watch both versions now?

@gerrytan8063 as always, thank you for the history lesson, it does help to understand the situation better.

7 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

So glad to see you guys here too. Can't wait for your history lesson for this drama @gerrytan8063. Can't wait four your wonderful comment, pictures and recaps @andy78  and @sava2sava

@UnniSarah  Glad to see you joinning in, I;m not doing the recaps leaving it to @andy78 I'm to busy with real life and don't have the time to recap.. I know with @andy78 you can de[end on his recaps and with @gerrytan8063 around we will understand more on this historical drama even when it comes to the food as he travels to S, Korea a lot and his knowledge makes me look forward to my trip there..

@Yongzura I really hope we won't have to watch multiple versions as it is exhausting enough trying to keep track! Still, I'll be keeping an eye out if multiple versions still exist for subsequent episodes, if only to see what was left out, and hope that whatever is broadcast is the best version, pacing and editing wise. Personally, I prefer to watch it C-subbed, simply because I understand the text in the paintings and diary better, seeing they are Chinese characters. And it is great to see so much historical insight being kindly shared on this thread, which helps with our understanding of the context, as well as appreciation of the nuances that may not be as obvious to those of us who are not well-versed with the history. Thank you! 

Hello, i'm happy finally found this thread. From 2 eps earlier, i still feel a lil bit confused about the time transition. But, i love Lee Young Ae here.. Her beauty doesn't change a bit.

And for SSH, i almost didn't recognize him. He looks so masculine and mature. Cant wait for the next 28 eps :)

@Ahjumma08

" From 2 eps earlier, i still feel a lil bit confused about the time transition.  "

Here are some time transition given in the 2 episodes

We presume that the modern time or present time is the year 2015 (the year when the drama was filmed)

1551 - Yi Gyeom (presume to be age 50+) paints Saimdang portrait of beauty in Siesta di Luna, Tuscany, Italy. Historically in 1551 Shin Saimdang (1504-1551) passed away at aged of 48

1520 - Young Shin Saimdang meets young Yi Gyeom

1540 - Adult Yi Gyeom return to Gangneung after 20 years, known as Ui Seong Gun ( 의성군, explained family history in page 15) Yi Gyeom & Shin Saimdang - mother of 4 children (3 sons & a daughter)

9 minutes ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@Ahjumma08

" From 2 eps earlier, i still feel a lil bit confused about the time transition.  "

Here are some time transition given in the 2 episodes

We presume that the modern time or present time is the year 2015 (the year when the drama was filmed)

1551 - Yi Gyeom (presume to be age 50+) paints Saimdang portrait of beauty in Siesta di Luna, Tuscany, Italy. Historically in 1551 Shin Saimdang (1504-1551) passed away at aged of 48

1520 - Young Shin Saimdang meets young Yi Gyeom

1540 - Adult Yi Gyeom return to Gangneung after 20 years, known as Ui Seong Gun Yi Gyeom & Shin Saimdang - mother of 4 children (3 sons & a daughter)

Woah... Master @gerrytan8063, thank u for ur detail explanation. I can start to imagine some of their scenes chronologically. But, do they mentioned that lecturer Lee Young Ae is reincarnation of saimdang's soul or they just unintentionally similar? 

@Ahjumma08

" But, do they mentioned that lecturer Lee Young Ae is reincarnation of saimdang's soul or they just unintentionally similar? '

Not directly mentioned but her friend Hye Jung could tell that there is a great resemblance between Seo Ji Yun & Shin Saimdang portrait of beauty & further Seo Ji Yun slip into 1540 & see for herself that An Gyeon's Geumgangsan was hanging in Ojukheon (Shin Saimdang maternal residence, still can be visited till today). Seo Ji Yun recognise the painting as An Gyeon had signed the painting as Jigok Gado (지곡 가도, 池谷可度). Jigok (지곡 池谷) is the clan An Gyeon was from - the Jigok An clan in Seosan, Chungcheong-nam- do Province while Gado (가도, 可度) is An Gyeon art name ( Hu,호, )

Seo Ji Yun does have plenty of Easter egg (hidden message) that is associated with Shin Saimdang

Her husband leaves her a bulk of Korean W50,000 note bill which feature Shin Saimdang in its obverse

Seo Ji Yun moves into a smaller apartment in Yulgok-ro (Shin Saimdang famous off spring Yulgok Yi I who is feature in Korean W5,000 note)

When Seo Ji Yun move into the smaller apartment in Yulgok-ro, Shin Saimdang painting from Chochungdo (초충도, 草蟲圖, an album of painting painted by Shin Saimdang on plant & insects) was feature

download.blog?fhandle=YmxvZzE0NDAyM0Bmcz

A cockscomb & Cattle dung beetle (Maendeulami  Wa Seottongbeolle,맨드라미 와 쇠똥벌레)

Yes, i repeated watching ep 2 and slowly understand what the writer meant thanks to @gerrytan8063 , the real saeguk expert hehe *thumbs up

Too many coincidences happened between ji yun and Saimdang. I wonder how their lovelines run. Ji yun is married but when she slips into Saimdang era, she already fell for SSH. 

Some history information background on Shin Saimdang & her family 

Shin Saimdang was born in Bukpyeong, Gangneung in Gangwon-do Province. She is from the Pyeongsan Shin clan (평산 신씨). Her father Shin Myeong Hwa was a prominent scholar was given the title "Jinsa" (진사, 進士) in 1516 but didn't serve in Jungjong's court due to political conflicts. Having no sons but 5 daughters, he invested into his daughters' education. Meanwhile Shin Saimdang mother is from the Yongin  Yi clan but the clan had developed its foundation in Gangneung. 

Ojukheon, Shin Saimdang maternal residence belongs to her mother Mdm Yi family, as Mdm Yi's father Yi Sa On had only one daughter she was too educated in the classics. As Yi Sa On had no sons, therefore his son in law Shin Myeong Hwa (1476-1522) was bequeathed the estate. Previously Yi Sa On himself was bequeathed Ojukheon from his father in law as well. After Mdm Yi dies, she distributed all her assets to her 5 daughters

I don't know how this drama will portray Yi Won Su (1501-1562), Shin Saimdang's husband. It is said that Yi Seon ( 이선, 李璿 1525-1570, Shin Saimdang's eldest son, mentioned in the drama to be born 3 years after her marriage) & Yulgok Yi I doesn't have high regards for their father as they do to their mother Shin Saimdang, although Yi Seon inherited all his father's asset

Shin Saimdang married Yi Won Su in 1522. Yi Won Su comes from the Deoksu Yi clan which have an established clan in Yulgok, Paju in Gyeonggi-do where the tomb of Shin Saimdang, Yulgok Yi I is located in this place. This is how Yulgok Yi I got his pen-name. Deoksu Yi clan is also the clan that gave the Korean - Admiral Yi Sun Sin

Shin Saimdang posterity, currently in the drama, you have the 4 children - Yi Seon, Yi Mae Chang, Yi Beon (이번,李璠) & the youngest is Yi Yi, the little child that knock down Seo Ji Yun as Shin Saimdang

Although Shin Saimdang will forever in history be known as the mother of Yulgok Yi I (1536-1584). Her eldest daughter & 2nd child (feature in the drama) Yi Mae Chang (이매창, 1529-1592) was also known for her painting of bamboo & plum trees, her youngest son Oksan Yi Wu (옥산 이우,玉山李瑀 1542-1609) was a talented painter, calligrapher, musician & poet

It is said that when Yi Won Su took concubinage, it seems Shin Saimdang went to Geumgangsan to mediated although at that time is punishable by law for a woman to go up to the mountains hence the drama's Geumgangsan painting could have painted by Shin Saimdang

Some of the reason why Shin Saimdang married Yi Won Su rather than Yi Gyeom

Although Yi Gyeom ( 이겸 李謙) is a factional character, even if he was distant Royal relation, but in Joseon Royal Relation are barred from politics. Meanwhile Yi Won Su, Shim Saimdang's husband was the 5촌(1st cousin Once remove) nephew of Yi Gi (이기,李芑 1476-1552). He was Prime Minister from 1549-1551. Jungjong have Yi Gi in high regards & Yi Won Su was a relative

10 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

Ojukheon, Shin Saimdang maternal residence belongs to her mother Mdm Yi family, as Mdm Yi's father Yi Sa On had only one daughter she was too educated in the classics. As Yi Sa On had no sons, therefore his son in law Shin Myeong Hwa (1476-1522) was bequeathed the estate. Previously Yi Sa On himself was bequeathed Ojukheon from his father in law as well. After Mdm Yi dies, she distributed all her assets to her 5 daughters

21 minutes ago, gerrytan8063 said:

Some of the reason why Shin Saimdang married Yi Won Su rather than Yi Gyeom

Although Yi Gyeom ( 이겸 李謙) is a factional character, even if he was distant Royal relation, but in Joseon Royal Relation are barred from politics. Meanwhile Yi Won Su, Shim Saimdang's husband was the 5촌(1st cousin Once remove) nephew of Yi Gi (이기,李芑 1476-1552). He was Prime Minister from 1549-1551. Jungjong have Yi Gi in high regards & Yi Won Su was a relative

@gerrytan8063  OK I thought they didn't allow them to marry due to his mom was a concubine, And when you said she married the cousin is that the cousin we saw kissing Gyeom ?

On 1/29/2017 at 8:18 PM, gerrytan8063 said:

Evening bell from mist-shrouded temple (Hae Jil Nyeok San Sa Ui Jong Su Ri, Joseon, 해질녘 산사의 종소리 조선, 煙寺暮鍾圖 朝鮮) , Ink Painting on Silk, Style of An Gyeon (this is not An Gyeon original painting but from his School style of painting). This famed scenery is around the Xiang & Xiao Rivers in Hunan, China

Landscape painting illustrating scenes from China made famous in classic literature & the said places are often depicted in associated with nostalgic flourish in the early 15th century in Joseon while contemporary Ming Dynasty reputed painting tend to dwindle & copy the style of Song Dynasty period as mentioned the painting style of Guo Xi - Song Dynasty famed landscape painter

This Ink painting is painted onto silk then mounted onto mounting silk, as may see that the mounting silk is with embossed pattern or monogrammed. Hence Seo Ji Yun laid the suspicion that the Geumgangsan that Prof Min claim that it is An Gyeon is not, since the silk mounting of maple leaves traces to the Edo Period (1605-1868) & not 15th century An Gyeon

@gerrytan8063, I nearly go to Hunan last December because of the "glass bridge" and recall the beautiful mountains in Hunan Province.  Now I am able to understand when they mentioned about the "maple leaves".  However, I don't quite understand, why the Professor himself did not notice about it before telling it to the world.

26 minutes ago, Yongzura said:

I nearly go to Hunan last December because of the "glass bridge" and recall the beautiful mountains in Hunan Province.  Now I am able to understand when they mentioned about the "maple leaves".  However, I don't quite understand, why the Professor himself did not notice about it before telling it to the world.

@Yongzura  I'll leave @gerrytan8063 To give you a more detailed explanation.. But how I saw things the professor always had the assitants doing all the work and he took credit for it.. But it's good to know she will get back at him..

Hey all, thanks for the explanation in this thread. While I love historical dramas, I am not aware of this character, so your detailed information helped me to understand the show better. I have a question, pardon me if I understood the whole issue wrong. 

In present time, the Geumgangsando is presented as a painting by An Gyeon. But this is in dispute as mounted silk of the painting belongs to a different or later century. 

When they show young Saimdang, the painting in question is already being considered as An Gyeon work. Plus an older Saimdang recognizes the signature of the artist as An Gyeon. 

Then why does Seo Ji Yun (after she comes back to the present) think that she can prove the painting is a fake and not done by An Gyeon?

Archived