[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

@Mari95

To each its own, both version had its own strengths

In the SBS version Yi Gyeom & Shin Saimdang battles with Min Chin Hyeong & Hwieumdang. While the SBS advancement in the historical time, & the international version the modern timeline

Hwieumdang confidence that Shin Saimdang will never lift up the brush to paint force her hand & ended backfire on her when Shin Saimdang paints her famously "grape" ink monochrome painting on the skirt

International version

Seo Ji Yun finally have some arsenal to do battle with Prof Min & Director Sun by producing the real An Gyeon Geumgangsan - by mysterious forces handed it to her.....that threaten to prove to the world that theirs is a fake & that it had destroy her Professorship & her husband company. In the preview Seo Ji Yun dares to barter Director Sun for the illicit ledgers

We may have the patience to savour both versions & enjoy the essence on what the drama offers while Korean audience as the ratings suggest that Korean have a short attention span in watching their dramas, when they favour the drama like Chief Kim

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@liddi

I have located Yi Gyeom & his Aunt residence in Gangneung

33145567712_9b00693005_n.jpg

Seon Gyo Jang (선교장, 船橋莊 ) in Gangneung introduce as Hyeon Won Jang (헌원장) Bukpyeong (북평), Gangneung in the drama

Seon Gyo Jang (선교장, 船橋莊) is seen from this clip at 1:50

Directions: From Seoul to Gangneung Bus Terminal, take Bus 202 & stop at Seon Gyo Jang (선교장, 船橋莊) Bus Stop

32457897984_a892568c97_n.jpg

Biikjo seal (비익조,比翼鳥)  means a pair of birds a male & female that cannot fly part from each other as each had only a eye & a wing. It is only when they are together that they can fly. It symbolises love in marriage, brotherhood or sisterhood  

Spoiler

33115652041_3c2c2fa6da_n.jpg

Shin Saimdang carve the Biikjo seal for Yi Gyeom

33087753182_7c6b9c5661_n.jpg

Biikjo seal (비익조,比翼鳥) feature as "whole" when young Yi Gyeom & Shin Saimdang kissed & animates into a winged creature & flutters away 

Spoiler

33175718201_fb0bd2a0be_n.jpg

Young Yi Gyeom & Shin Saimdang kissed & animates into a winged creature & flutters away 

@liddi

32458185294_f25dd458b7_n.jpg

Historical Shin Saimdang & her 7 children

32458426824_f58d198479_n.jpg

Drama Shin Saimdang & her 4 children

Spoiler

I will be flying off to Osaka, Japan tonight on business - red eye flight. I have a portal wi-fi, so I will not missed this week episodes....just to note if I am somewhat "quiet"

I just finished watching all 12 episodes (SBS Version) and I so love this drama. The various scenes that have nothing to do with the main plot, but yet shed some light about the time period, culture, rules and all (the fan provided only to royal family members, horses being rented or leased, the painting in the temple) is really interesting. This is not just a drama, but also a mirror into history which is fascinating. I love the SBS version as it holds out on its own regarding the historical timeline. But the international version contains the modern story which kinda syncs in with the historical story, and I really don't know how SBS is going to air out the modern story because dumping the entire modern drama as the end is not as thrilling as being shown along with the historical drama. Still, I love this whatever has been shown. 

As usual @gerrytan8063 and @liddi have been really generous with all explanations, historical and modern. It is really nice to learn something new and to discuss an interesting show with you all. Please do continue to contribute. I'm really grateful to all in this thread. :D 

@gerrytan8063 Even if we never saw the scene in Italy when Gyeom mourns her passing through his frenzied painting, it would have been painfully evident that theirs was a tragic love, with only one half of the 比翼鸟 Biikjo being featured as the seal in Portrait of a Beauty, always alone, never a pair. 

So many things still remain a mystery. Apart from John Donne's cleverly hidden poem, there is also the question why Saimdang's memoirs were with Gyeom in the end.... the significance of the seeds in the floral pouch... why Gyeom ended up in Tuscany. Can't wait for all these to be revealed at the right time.

Personally, I adore the scenes with Saimdang and her children and feel that the drama highlights Saimdang's struggles and triumphs as a mother and (currently) sole provider for her family very effectively. There is so much warmth there, even when her children are misbehaving, throwing tantrums over their plight, or being rebellious... that it is so easy to see why Saimdang was revered as a virtuous wife and good mother 贤妻良母. And to use Gyeom (Yi Am)'s mother dog painting as an expression of that side of her is a stroke of brilliance.

Before I forget, have a safe and wonderful trip to Osaka, and glad to know you will still be up to date with this week's episodes! :) 

@cosmogirl77 I love how you describe the drama as a mirror into history... how apt! There is so much fascinating information that we get to learn, from the drama as well as @gerrytan8063's detailed explanations, which makes this viewing experience an even more enjoyable one for me. Really glad that you are up to date and please do join in the discussion. The more the merrier!

@sava2sava Marathoning the drama is actually a great idea. I found during my marathon of the international version, that there is a cohesiveness and flow that comes from watching them in a stretch, as opposed to a sense of disjointedness by following it 2 episodes a week. Unfortunately for me, I am too far gone to be able to not watch when it airs because there is just so much I want to know now :D Regardless of your viewing preference, please share your thoughts with us when you do watch.

@liddi

".....still remain a mystery. Apart from John Donne's cleverly hidden poem, there is also the question why Saimdang's memoirs were with Gyeom in the end.... the significance of the seeds in the floral pouch... why Gyeom ended up in Tuscany. Can't wait for all these to be revealed at the right time. "

32445712823_afc194e8ce_n.jpg

Why is Shin Saimdang or perhaps Seo Ji Yun running at the corridor of Siesta Di Luna?

32921183420_66f7bd0192_n.jpg

Spoiler

32488612733_be9f964643_n.jpg

There is a scene where Yi Gyeom & Shin Saimdang holding hands together running too.....in the teasers

33147842842_6b1ef76506.jpg

Yi Gyeom in Tuscany, Italy

@gerrytan8063 I always thought that the vision of Saimdang in the corridors of Siesta di Luna was all in Gyeom's imagination since I do not believe Saimdang would have traveled to Tuscany with him (Mt Geumgang perhaps, but not Tuscany). However, you bring up a good point - what if the vision he recalled was of SJY, not Saimdang? That would be an interesting twist.

To be honest, I can't remember ever seeing a scene of Gyeom and Saimdang running in the corridor - which episode did this air in? Also, the photos of Gyeom painting and mingling in Tuscany - are these from production stills?

@liddi

"  I can't remember ever seeing a scene of Gyeom and Saimdang running in the corridor - which episode did this air in? "

The scene comes from the teasers, the youtube clips I had posted from the TT Girls in page 36

32458290414_a1134a6d3f_n.jpg

Who is the fairest of them all?

Spoiler

All system looks good...will able to watch live stream

@gerrytan8063 It's good news indeed that you are able to live stream with peace of mind :) 

Ahh you're right. There is also the vision of Gyeom amid the throng of visitors at Siesta di Luna which I do not recall seeing in the drama yet... does that mean SJY returns back to the manor at a later date? Guess we have 18 episodes to find out... 

As for the mini beauty contest... I think my choice would be a biased one. As such, I nominate the one I like best as of Ep12... Gyeom's crotchety aunt whose gruff exterior hides a heart that truly does care for him, even if he does comment about her inability to kill herself with the knife due to her girth :D

fzu2FnrDJswf991vJwFjjCfNGQcqwMuhjoNlKqEnuXbdZJ7UModNObWZGcPT3f0VArawo548NuQSdMNLcqFCG0s6ZLx7K3YfQgMZ_bgqHYwnp13NeWlScbrTWqxMSl8WJsS0V1hYShI4DLlXYzHHI_9MSdV1wJZE81k7QvEcZpk84aoaX1LEFwYQ71fbi3DTiEydFkZiLtLJbiRfH7mvw-q9M6gcGE4ReDZQ91NLC5dxdv9lqyDzuDaDMeN_XSkWj28Wqo2tirq2IYvLfZxx330EytZbUgtJFzbQc8cv8-BacLW7J0bioL2_gaqblIOrlre1y0PtGrlUuskkt__BN_ousVnO6_9hMc6-ZxKNCXJ0keHDhrnRl6yyfv4HSgRdBIgC5kkm6Yw2xZFipbieH6Y_qTsKUhGfUppHgE_B2-RPyhFSiSrC3sS65UIBccSKP_pHCp-py_jAIT0rQ8cfegfvi0OjQYWEVC-4KIt8teCt54wjIqMuNLUbJOtvF3oZtvAWcY7jU8IOkQLGQjApmizSa1spzUP57W12YIHbddaJZSoglK-t6PJgfkYULYGtXb2KJCeDZwgEgIIYQXaoVuzyp1pRPu0eqi11ptfqPhNiqsi-nxhg2R3__Mr5XoyqJ3hF71PArrxxs3ouGIsdhJEK00xFgrA7=w589-h340-no

20 minutes ago, gerrytan8063 said:

Episode 13

After the painting of the skirt, Shin Saimdang pull her son out of school, Shin Saimdang 2 cents caustic advice to Hwieumdang really dent her ego

I am sure I will love the advice given by her to  Hwieumdang and everyone else in that room and also the advice she gave to her son.  

I ONLY WAS ABLE TO WATCH THE LAST 20 MINUTES +PREVIEW...WAS REALLY GREAT TO SEE THAT HORRIBLE WOMAN TEARS YES SHE LOST AGAIN IN FRONT OF SS...GYEUM IS  WONDERFULL...SS IS IN HIS HEART AND THOUGHTS...WONDERFULL MAN MY HEART BREAKS FOR HIM...

INTERESTING PREVIEW :I WONDER  JY SEEMS FOUND A NEW CLUE...I WANT HER TO WIN AND RUIN MIN AND THAT CORRUPT LADY

THANKS @gerrytan8063 AND @Yongzura WAS GREAT READING YOUR POSTS

Archived