[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, quockhanh45 said:

Anyone can share me the links to Saimdang Original ver with engsub?

If you don't mind a little bit of suffering :wink: I would like to suggest that you follow @liddi's post from the beginning.   The differences are highlighted there and you will also be able to watch them (the scenes) straight away.  So far, I've only seen other languages than English through Youtube. BTW, even these sites might have to be closed down..sooner of later.

@liddi, yes.  I just realised that you had posted the crossover of HJ's husband a long, long time ago.  I may have missed it!  Hopefully you will be able to spot some more of them :D.  They could be anywhere... ( I didn't even see that they were among the reporters..... he he)

Just finished chapter 3 of the novel...

Some interesting points:

Novel Vol 1: Part 1 Discovery

Chapters 1-3

1. SJY's mother-in-law brought up her son herself with her meagre earnings, and managed to put him through Seoul University. She had no help from the relatives, who despised them for their poverty. As such, she took great pride in JMS' success as a stock broker, SJY's career path towards professorship and Eun Soo's outstanding academic achievements, and often had the relatives over for meals to see the envy of those who once looked down on them and never offered any help.

2. SJY has a brilliant eye for art, being able to distinguish between authentic and fake works. After being captivated by a painting when she was young, she determined there and then that she would become a prominent figure in the Korean art world.

3. After her rantings, SJY was walking along a street selling old secondhand books. Opening hours were over and shop owners were preparing to move the books back into their shops. Just then a group of drunk men walking past her, saw her looking disheveled and dragging her luggage, and gave her a wolf whistle. In her attempts to avoid them, she accidentally overturned the books that were displayed. Just as she helped to put the books back, she noticed one of the books, which is incomplete, being only the first half of a book, had Hanja words, and her eyes widened when she read " 'Mt. Geumgang painting'? The word 'Gyeon'? Only 'Gyeon'? Can it be... 'An Gyeon'?" The store owner then pointed to the stamp on the book, and said "Siesta di Luna". She finally paid him 10 Euros for the book.

4. When she arrived at Siesta di Luna, it appeared to be long uninhabited. After hesitating momentarily, she knocked several times before an old caretaker with a cane answered the door. Despite showing him the book and explaining her reason for coming, he kept refusing to let her in since it was not a tourist attraction and not open to visitors. In the end, he could not dissuade her and let her in. Inexplicably, she felt an unexplained pull from deep within the recesses of her memories, and went up to the second floor. There was a long corridor with many doors but she instinctively went to one of the them and stepped through the door that seemed to have been waiting for thousands of years. The room was empty except for a long mirror, yet she felt like she was searching for something. Just then a dove flew in and shattered the mirror, revealing a wall with light that appeared to emanate from within. The book describes how the Portrait of a Beauty featured a woman wearing shoes embroidered with Dianthus Chinensis. She begged the caretaker to sell the painting to her, which he at first refused since the owner was no longer around, having passed away. Just then, the dove settled on her shoulder, and when she tried to brush it away, out of nowhere, a ladybird settled on her other shoulder. The caretaker finally took that to be a sign from heaven since Italians believe that doves are a sign of a good luck and represents heaven's response. As such, he gave her the painting, as well as the contents of the box, which was the 2nd half of the book she obtained previously, and a faded pouch embroidered with Dianthus Chinensis.

5. In Aug 1519, Saimdang was only 14 years old, and often climbed trees, scouring everywhere to obtain the exact shades of paint she wanted. Due to the literati purge that year, Shin Myeong Hwa was imprisoned for 4 days, and had just returned from prison. At the time, Gyeom had only been adopted by his aunt for 2 years. The first time his aunt saw him, he was ragged and pale, but even then, he had bright, intelligent eyes and it was obvious he was of royal blood. 

6. When Gyeom found her painting book, his aunt's manservant told him it could only have been drawn by Saimdang, then told him about how she could draw in the style of An Gyeon when she was seven years old.

7. Saimdang's mixing of colours to produce a certain shade of green was due to her trying to recreate An Gyeon's Mt. Geumgang painting which she had just seen, and wished she could have the painting in front of her.

2 minutes ago, Farah Ayuni said:

@liddithis is so interesting. I wish they have it in English. I would love to read and imagine the characters we know. 

Me too, since I read Chinese slower than I read English :D Will try and share more of the extra details or differences as and when I continue reading.

@gerrytan8063 If not for the book, I would never have paid attention to her shoes! I knew from the prologue that her upper garment was supposed to be peppered with Dianthus Chinensis blossoms, but didn't think to look at her feet. In the drama, the lighting is such that such details are probably not noticed, unless it was zoomed in on. And I also thought it interesting how the book differs, even from the original version of the drama - even in the fact that there were two halves of the diary - one at the secondhand book store, and the other at Siesta di Luna. Perhaps this was the original vision of the scriptwriter, which was then adapted for the drama. 

Now I really hope the 2nd volume will be released. Still no sign of it up to now :(

@liddi

"If not for the book, I would  never paid attention to her shoes! "

In the painting Folk Painter Oh Sun Gyeong (오순경) seal stamp "吳純暻" at the left side of the end trims of the chima (skirt)

"Now I really hope the 2nd volume will be released. Still no sign of it up to now "

I will try to browse the Korean site for news & drop a line at the thread if there is any developments

@gerrytan8063 Thank you very much for helping to keep a lookout!

EDIT: Just noticed that the initial Facebook post of 人類智庫 dated 29 Mar 21017 already shows the cover of the 2nd book... wonder what's holding up the release...

Image may contain: 10 people, people standing and text

As for the stamp, I see it in the picture you shared, but don't recall it being in the drama, when it was revealed by SJY for the first time in Siesta di Luna, and when she was analysing the painting for the Biikjo stamp. Do you remember seeing it in the drama?

Saw these stills... I don't recall seeing any frontal footage of Gyeom and Saimdang running in the corridor. Either way, just so good to see them... miss them much.

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

cr. Lee Young Ae VietNam Fanpage Facebook

Chapter 4 of the novel...
I love how here it describes that Saimdang had no recollection of Gyeom watching her the day she returned to Gangneung, which makes sense, seeing it was SJY or at least her soul, to whom that happened, not Saimdang.

Novel Vol 1: Part 1 Discovery

Chapter 4

1. SJY had just sent Eun Soo to school when JMS stopped in front of her car like a scene from a kidnapping. He already knew about his company's Mr. Lim who had committed suicide, and told her as much. When SJY started to cry, JMS pulled her close, burying her head in his shoulders, so that she would not see his tears as well. Thus they remained by the beach, until they slowly walked back to the car.

2. When SJY opened her eyes after the accident, she finds herself surrounded by pink Dianthus Chinensis blossoms growing at the sides of the valley. Disoriented, she thought she was dreaming. Just then 4 year old boy called her "Mother" and jumped into her arms, knocking her backwards. She instinctively pushed her hand against the rocks behind in order to protect the boy, thus cutting herself. SJY felt that the adorable little boy resembled Eun Soo when he was young, and was moved by his smile and warmth. She asked Hyang who the children are, and where she was, while the children continued to laugh and play, oblivious to her confusion. 

3. She suddenly felt a heated gaze from the other end of the lane, and saw a man staring directly at her. He was tall and gentlemanly. A manservant was by his side, urging him but he ignored the man, continuing to look at her. His gaze was filled with despair and grief, evoking unimaginable sadness in all who saw. SJY turned aside to avoid his eyes, and walked past him, but she could still feel his gaze following her as she walked on.

4. When she arrived at Ojukheon, she finally realised who she was supposed to be, and thought that her long poring over the diary had resulted her dreaming about it. Even so, it felt too vivid to be just a dream but there was no one she could ask to confirm her suspicions.

5. After calling GHJ to confirm that the next part that was restored, she insisted on going to meet her in spite of JMS' admonitions, saying that she will find proof that Prof. Min's Mt. Geumgang painting is a fake. When he tried to stop her, they got into an argument, during which she accused him of abandoning them, before stopping herself. JMS sighed heavily, thinking that he was so insignificant in her eyes, and that everything was in a tangled mess.

6. SJY knew she had to get the text from the diary translated and interpreted, a task that could take years. She thought hard whom she could ask to do so, already ruling out all her colleagues who were under the scrutiny of Prof. Min, and would not be willing to help. Meeting HSH at the entrance of the apartment building, she noticed that he dropped a document with interpretation of Hanja prose. She then remembered that during Prof. Min's lectures, HSH was responsible for translating and interpreting Hanja documents. Realising this, she quickly rushed up the stairs. She found HSH at the rooftop of the apartment building, drying his laundry and it was there that she asked him to translate the text she had at hand.

7. HSH's translation of the opening text is thus: "The day I returned to Gangneung to pack our belongings, he saw me. Yet, I have no recollection of him ever seeing me then... it is truly strange. I went with Mae Chang, Seon, Hyun Ryong and Wu to pack our belongings for our move to Hanyang. That was the last time I journeyed to Gangneung..." As HSH translated, SJY recalled the path in her dream, and the faces of the 4 children.

8. It had been 20 years since Gyeom saw Saimdang. He was as handsome as before, but there was a shadow in his eyes, and an emptiness in his heart that could not be filled. After Saimdang married another, he gave up his beloved painting, and lived like a vagabond - stayed with fishermen by the sea, spent a long time with the brave men of the wilderness up in Mt. Geumgang. Wherever he went, the gisaengs and young women would clamour to see him, but no one could fill the hole in his heart.

9. When Hoo rushed into extract Gyeom from the gisaeng house, there is no mention of being splashed with urine. 

10. Hoo had been following Gyeom around for one reason only, and that was his art. When he was young, Gyeom was a guest at his home and won him over with the gift of a painting. That warm, smiling young man who was so talented in art, now looked like a dark cloud had come over him, becoming gloomy. Hoo could only quietly wait in hopes that one day, Gyeom would one day recapture the glory of his youth with his paintings once more.

11. As he left, Gyeom heard his aunt hurling words of why he could not accept that Saimdang was already married with children. The moment he heard those words, he gripped the frame of the door and trembled uncontrollably. What could never change, not in 20 years, not even a hundred, was the fact that the name "Saimdang" could pierce his heart with such agony. This will never change. It was said that time is the best medicine, but to Yi Gyeom, it served only to deepen the poison and suffering.

Thanks @liddi

Thanks @liddifor sharing. U made my day. I have been listening to the complete OST the whole day. Ur translation is really good and I could really feel the moment. May I know how much is the book? It can only be bought online and preordered? I wish I could have a hold of that book, just for good memories or when I can understand korean. Hehe. 

@Farah Ayuni You're most welcome and thank you for your kind words. I will try to continue sharing any additional / different details from the book when I see them.

I bought the C-translated novel from Popular Online. If you're in Malaysia or Singapore, you can try and check with the Popular outlets, or place an order through their website. It costs ~RM50 for the novel. Do note that it is soft cover. I may be wrong but I think the original Korean novel is hardcover - there is a listing of websites where it can be bought here. Current price is 12,420won excluding shipping charges. I just noticed that they offer the eBook version for 8,010won (the eBook for the C-version is also available now). Let's see if I manage to navigate through the websites and purchase that. I did notice that the chapter covers appear to be different between the Korean and Chinese novels. e.g. 

Chapter 1: Korean vs. Chinese

8934977558_t6.jpg9789863733706_b7.jpg

cr. aladin.co.kr (Korean), Popular Online (Chinese)

Hope this helps!

@gerrytan8063 I checked with 人類智庫出版集團 on Facebook and they informed Volume 2 is tentatively published mid-May - they do not have a definitive date yet. Hopefully it is published on schedule! I have noticed some typos over the past 4 chapters... including describing Saimdang who drew in the style of An Gyeon at the age of 十七 rather than 七, and describing MRI scan as MRT scan :tongue: Typos aside, it is a great read so far, and I am eager to continue reading.

I suppose the next project we will see Lee Young Ae will be the Pyeongchang Olympics

34532022845_12e48b32a0.jpg

Actress Lee Young-ae holds Soohorang (right) and Bandabi, mascots for the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.

I have decided that in end of 2018, I will do a 3 days 2 nights to Gangneung. There will be a direct KTX train from Incheon Airport via Pyeongchang (for the Winter Olympics) to Gangneung 

56 minutes ago, gerrytan8063 said:

I suppose the next project we will see Lee Young Ae will be the Pyeongchang Olympics

Actress Lee Young-ae holds Soohorang (right) and Bandabi, mascots for the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.

I have decided that in end of 2018, I will do a 3 days 2 nights to Gangneung. There will be a direct KTX train from Incheon Airport via Pyeongchang (for the Winter Olympics) to Gangneung 

I envy you @gerrytan8063! Must be a great experience. Lee Young Ae looks really young and beautiful in traditional clothing. So does Song Seong Heon. They should just stay in that era. Hehe. 

@liddi

"Would that be the same KTX train that SJY's mother-in-law took to Pyeongchang? Will you be visiting Ohjukheon? Do share photos if you do!"

Yes, I will definitely do all the Saimdang tourist sites, may also visit Yulgok Memorial Hall in Paju, Gyeonggi-do. Maybe will get my very own Pae Raeng-i (Dianthus Chinensis) Bracelet

As for photos....usually a snap with the mobile

The KTX train line to Pyeongchang which ends in Gangneung is currently under construction, to be officiated & ready before the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics. It is said to schedule to be completed in June 2017, travel time from Incheon Airport to Gangneung will be less than 2 hours & via Pyeongchang in the Winter, you able to see the snow covered slope & mountain ranges of Gangwon-do

Seo Ji Yun's mother in law took the "slow train" or ITX (Intercity Train Express) to Gimyujeong Station in Chuncheon, Gangwon-do. It takes 2 hours. My route to take, I will take from Cheongnyangni Station in Seoul via the Gyeongchun Line to Gimyujeong Station in Gangwon-do

33722238613_b10481c069_n.jpg

ITX train

@saimdang

"if i ever go to Korea, instead of my hiking lol."

If you like hiking, I suggest Biseulsan Mountain (비슬산) in Daegu to see the Azalea usually in the end month of April to the 1st week of May, you need to check the dates. This year it was from April 22-30th

Biseulsan (비슬산) mountain  is where you can appreciation the Azalea in full blossom for spring. There is an azalea appreciation trail ( 참꽃군락지). Overall hike will take you 4h 30m. Currently that is ongoing is the Daegu Biseulsan Azalea Cultural Festival (비슬산 참꽃문화제 ). During the Cultural Festival, you can savour Hwajeon, the flower pancakes that Saimdang pan-fry & asked her children to send to their neighbour Queen Dangyeong

33702398204_b72170b85e_n.jpg

34545185995_e0edb4b616.jpg

Directions: (During the Cultural Festival) - Take a KTX to Daegu (Dongdaegu Station - 동대구역,東大邱驛 journey 2 hours), get yourself to the Daegu National Science Museum, there is free shuttle bus to Biseulsan parking lot every 20 mins

Other days - From Daegu Seobu Bus Station (대구시립서부도서관, located next to Dongdaegu Station) take a bus No.600 or Dalsung 5 ( 달성 5 only run Sat-Sun every 40-60 mins) that is heading for Hyeonpung ( 현풍), journey is 1h 30 mins

If you are interested in hiking trails in Korea, I can recommend some that I had done

5 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

Biseulsan (비슬산) mountain  is where you can appreciation the Azalea in full blossom for spring. There is an azalea appreciation trail

(1) The mention of azaleas reminds me of the 2010 historical / medical drama "Jejoongwon" (starring Han Hye-jin of "Jumong" fame). In one episode, the main characters escaped from bandits in the mountains and were about to lose hope until they came upon a field of azaleas. They began eating the azaleas.

After watching that episode, I began researching "azaleas" and found out that that they're poisonous(?). I wondered why a medical drama would show azaleas being eaten. Can you confirm if indeed azaleas are non-poisonous and thus can be eaten?

(2) For those of you who are suffering from SLD withdrawal, I recommend "Jejoongwon" to you. Like SLD, it didn't do well in the ratings (because "Dong Yi"was in the same schedule). BUT if you browse the websites dealing with K-dramas like Dramabeans and Koala's Playground, you'll find out that it's a critical hit.

07agoT8.jpg

Archived