[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

Notes on GMA7 (Philippines) “Saimdang” Tuesday, September 5 broadcast:

1. List of deleted scenes from GMA7’s broadcast:

- Cross-cutting scenes of Saimdang dressing up in her silk clothes and Lee Gyeom preparing for the Royal hunt.

- Opening scenes of the Royal hunt; Lee Gyeom presenting his painting of a falcon to the King and explaining its meaning; King Jungjong painting the eyes of the falcon

- Hyun-ryong getting bullied during lunchtime

- Saimdang arriving in Jungbu School and hearing Hyun-ryong arguing with his teacher

2. GMA7 again mis-translates Saimdang’s words “I want to go to Keumkangsan” into “Gusto kong makita ang gawa ni An Gyeon” (in English, “I want to see An Gyeon’s painting.”)

3. Previously, GMA7 translated “Gi-myo year” as “taon ng kuneho” (in English, “year of the rabbit”). But in last night’s episode, GMA7 translated “Gi-myo massacre” simply as “patayan” or “pagpatay.” In English, “patayan” means “killing” or “massacre.”

4. In the English subs of the Dramacool video of Ep. 13 (SBS), Saimdang says: “Gourd flowers may look simple, but a gourd can feed a whole family.” GMA7 translates “gourd” as “papaya.” In the Korean dialogues or Chinese translations, is there a basis for GMA7’s translation?

5. Also in the English subs of the Dramacool video of Ep. 13 (SBS), Tae-ryong’s mother says about her being late for the meeting at Jungbu School: “The carriage carriers are a little weak.”

The word “carriage” obviously refers to a “palanquin.”

GMA7 translates this dialogue as “Ang bagal ng pamangkin ko.” In English, that means “My nephew (or niece) was too slow.”

I listened several times to GMA7’s Filipino translation, and (unless I’m totally deaf), I could hear the word “pamangkin.”

The words “palanquin” and “pamangkin” sound almost the same. Either GMA7 couldn’t find a suitable word for “palanquin,” or it’s having fun being creative with its paraphrases.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@plainenglish I love the symbolism and lyricism of the scenes intercutting between Saimdang and Gyeom's individual preparations for their forthcoming battle, be it in the SBS or International version, so it truly is a shame was left on the editing floor by GMA7. Did they retain the scene where Jungjong has difficulty adding the verse to the painting of the falcon, since that would be the first nail Gyeom struck into MCH's coffin?

If GMA7 keeps mistranslating Saimdang's lifelong dream to see Mt. Geumgang, how would they explain her sojourn there down the road?

Both iflix and GTV C-subs refer to it as a gourd:

葫蘆花或許很寒酸, 但是一顆葫蘆可以餵飽很多人
Although a gourd flower may look shabby, one gourd can feed an entire family

As for Tae Ryong's mother's excuse, C-subs all blamed the palanquin bearers too :tongue: 

因為轎夫太沒力了
It was because the palanquin bearers were too weak
cr. iflix

抬轎子的太不中用
The palanquin bearers were too useless
cr. GTV

19 minutes ago, liddi said:

Did they retain the scene where Jungjong has difficulty adding the verse to the painting of the falcon, since that would be the first nail Gyeom struck into MCH's coffin?

Yes, but it was cut to less than 20 or 30 seconds, if I remember correctly.

@plainenglish @liddi

"3. Previously, GMA7 translated “Gi-myo year” as “taon ng kuneho” (in English, “year of the rabbit”). But in last night’s episode, GMA7 translated “Gi-myo massacre” simply as “patayan” or “pagpatay.” In English, “patayan” means “killing” or “massacre.”

The incident is known as the Gimyo Sahwa (기묘사화, 己卯士禍) & in history it is known as the 3rd Literati Purge of 1519, where many were killed & exile in the purge

"In the English subs of the Dramacool video of Ep. 13 (SBS), Saimdang says: “Gourd flowers may look simple, but a gourd can feed a whole family.” GMA7 translates “gourd” as “papaya.” In the Korean dialogues or Chinese translations, is there a basis for GMA7’s translation?"

Bottle gourd is known as Calabash (박,葫蘆)

img

@liddi

"The calabash reminds me of the free-spirited martial warriors in 武俠小說, ala 令狐冲 Linghu Cong of 笑傲江湖, with a gourd-shaped wine bottle by their side... or the artefact often used by ghost catchers to trap spirits in Chinese movies"

Dry bottle gourd makes good flask. It is nice to cook as a dish....stir fry shredded calabash with ginger & garlic.....have a crunch like a melon or cucumber, I usually add cellophane noodles (冬粉) & sprinkle with lard crunches (猪油渣), if healthy option, fried silver anchovies

List of deleted scenes from GMA7 September 6 broadcast:

- Saimdang explains to Hyun-ryong why she took him out of Jungbu School

- Lee Gyeom, the Bikdang staff, and people of Hanyang flock to the market to see Saimdang’s painting on the silk skirt

- Hwieumdang, in anger and envy, burns Saimdang’s painting on the silk skirt

- Lee Gyeom visits Lee Won-su at the temple

- Saimdang takes care of Lee Won-su and her family’s needs (washing their clothes, pressing Lee Won-su’s uniform, and writing a letter for him)

- Saimdang and old man Pal Bong accosted on the mountain by the bandits

- Anna gives her mother (gallery Director Seon) a ride on Zanjo’s scooter

- King Jungjong becomes paranoid over the paintings given by the Ming Emperor

- Saimdang pleads with the Police Chief to extend the deadline for the drifters to pay for their taxes

@plainenglish Why why did GMA7 delete the scene when Gyeom sees for himself Saimdang's magnificent grape skirt painting? It marked a key turning point for Gyeom, realising that just like him, her true self was slowly reemerging once more, after being suppressed for twenty long years.

I may be mistaken but I believe that Jungjong's paranoia over the two paintings from Ming was only ever seen in the SBS version. I don't believe I ever saw it in the international, and I don't see any mention of it in the novel either.

Welcome @janicebernido! Glad to see another Saimdang fan here. How are you finding the drama so far? From what plainenglish has shared, GMA7's version omits a lot of key scenes from the original. If you have the chance, do watch the international or SBS versions too :) 

@gerrytan8063 True that :D Though from the wine spilled on the Soojinbang Diary, it looked like it was not contained in bottle gourd flasks :tongue: 

Chapter 26 takes us through a slightly different description of the events from Mae Chang's eviction from the competition, to Saimdang's interrogation at the hands of Jungjong as she painted his portrait, and the events at Gwanghwamun. Here, the difference between the king Saimdang envisioned in her portrait, and the real man upon which it was based, was a potent, glaring one, clear to all who were present, which was something that the drama failed to translate. We also are given to better understand why Saimdang's pleas for a Joseon in which dreams could become a reality, infuriated Jungjong so much, just as we see yet another reason for Jungjong's displeasure at the overwhelmingly positive reception of his portrait. 

@gerrytan8063 Do you have any idea what 太平蕭 is supposed to be? I know 蕭 is a flute that is played vertically, but I have no idea what is the difference between a conventional 蕭 and 太平蕭.

Novel Vol 2: Part 5 Fallen
Chapter 26

1. To rectify the state of the country, and enable Jungjong to recover his past authority, the portrait of the king was commissioned. This time, the selection of the painter responsible for the portrait was not limited merely to the artists in the royal court. To bring about a whole new change, the candidacy was open to artists who were innovative and original, including those who were talented but had no outlet for expression. As such, those hoped to be in the Bureau of Paintings could pluck up their courage and submit their works for consideration.

2. Gyeom and the Crown Prince were slowly walking into the area where the screening test for new painters were held, when they came upon a candidate being forcibly dragged out. As the candidate protested the unfairness of her being disqualified because of her gender, Gyeom stared at the girl who verbalised all that was in his heart, and he laughed out loud as he was reminded of Saimdang in her youth.

3. Hearing the official insult her mother for her poor upbringing, the girl screamed in fury and slammed her head against the man's chest. The incensed official raised his hand to strike her, when he was stopped by Gyeom.

4. After Mae Chang ran off in distress, the Crown Prince did not know whether to laugh or cry at her audacity. However, Gyeom noted that what she said was not wrong, and looked at her like he was the one who was criticised. It was clearly his instruction to allow all who wished to join the Bureau of Paintings to take the test, yet even he himself had not managed to consider the eligibility of females. Such was the way of the world, and from the start, the law itself had imposed this restriction to exclude women from consideration. In the face of his self-contradiction, Gyeom could only laugh bitterly.

5. From the Bureau of Paintings, Mae Chang cried as she walked into her mother's studio. The walls were covered with magnificent works, each one captivating its viewer. As she quietly sat in the room that was filled with the fragrant smell of paints, painting paper, brushes and inks, her emotions gradually settled down.
"Mae Chang!" The door to the darkened studio was pushed open, bringing with it the quiet calls of her mother's voice. Mae Chang who was curled up in a corner, looked up in misery at her mother.
"Why are you sitting all alone in the corner in the dark?" Saimdang approached her daughter and sat down, knowing full well what her daughter had gone through this morning. Unable to dispel his worry for the girl, Gyeom had sent someone to Saimdang with a verbal message.
"I was just looking at your paintings, and wondering what kind of world I am living in."
"And have you found your answer?"
"No, I am still not sure," Mae Chang shook her head. Who could tell how long this child had been crying, her eyes red and swollen.
"You have never restricted me because I was a girl, stopped me from doing anything."
"Yes! I have always wanted to let you know that you could do anything."
"But the outside world is different. No matter how well I drew, I could never become a part of the Bureau of Paintings, just because I am a girl." Mae Chang's eyes began to well up in tears once more. Seeing her daughter in such a state, Saimdang's heart too felt like it would collapse. She always taught her children to view everything with clear eyes. If the eyes had become blurred, one could not see the world clearly. One must know to differentiate between right and wrong, never remaining stagnant, but always maintaining a clear vision in one's heart without ever being clouded by prejudice. This was how she had taught her children, but she did not manage to tell them that the world itself was already a murky place, filled with all kinds of injustice.
"So the world you saw was totally different from the one I taught you!" Saimdang's words were choked.
"I wish to become the most famous painter in Joseon. After you, I want to be a great painter like Master An Gyeon, acknowledged to be the best artist by all. I was better than everyone else in the test today, but why should I have to give up my dreams just because I am a girl? This... this is too unfair."
"I felt the same way when I was around your age."
Tears swimming in her eyes, Mae Chang lifted up her head to look at her mother, and waited for her to continue.
"That time I desperately wanted to go up to Mt. Geumgang, longing to see it for myself, experience the sight of twelve thousand peaks before me, and painting what was truly in my heart. Living as a woman in Joseon would often make you feel stifled, helpless and outraged. However, one of these days, all these will change, and the world will definitely become a far better place. Isn't that right?"
"What if the dark night never ends, and the better world never becomes a reality?"
"The dark nights will be very long. However, one day, our Mae Chang will marry and have a daughter. Your child will also have her own child, who in turn would her her own child, who will be able to see that day come to pass. And when that time comes, that child's nights would be brighter. Isn't that enough?"
"Then... what should I do now? Even you, an artistic genius, are always miserable because of Father, not being able to go to Mt. Geumgang just as you had always dreamed. Isn't this the reason you are saying all this? Mother, are you truly happy?"
Mae Chang hurled herself into her mother's arms and burst out crying as Saimdang pat her back. It hurt so much to think of all the obstacles she would have to overcome in future, how much suffering and disappointments she had to go through, the bitter loneliness, countless betrayals and frustrations! Saimdang's grief stemmed from her understanding that this was a path that Mae Chang had to walk through herself, thus making it doubly painful. Her inability to freely answer her daughter's question whether she was truly happy, gave way to silent tears.

6. "I have given full authority to Prince Euisung over the matter! With the power vested in me, I authorise Lady Shin to be the painter of the king's portrait!"
The moment the Crown Prince announced the order, the court which had been in uproar immediately stared at Gyeom in deafening silence. Gyeom was merely the tip of the iceberg, hiring an unknowledged talent. If such behaviour was already rampant while Jungjong was still in power, there was no doubt that there would be chaos once the Crown Prince ascended to the throne. For starters, a total overhaul of the ministers who wielded power in court would certainly be unavoidable. In this moment, the State Councillor and the longstanding ministers were filled with fury as they saw through the Crown Prince's intentions.

7. "Everyone else leave so that the lead painter can concentrate on the painting," Jungjong reiterated harshly, interrupting Gyeom's words.
Gyeom seemed to perceive Jungjong's intentions, and raised his head to look at his expression. He must have suffered a cold due to the changing of the seasons, for the king's face was pale and haggard, with murky, sunken eyes, and the sight of it grieved Gyeom. This was after all, the king that he once served with all his heart! In turn, Jungjong threw Gyeom a long, venomous look. At last, there was only Saimdang and Jungjong left in the pavilion.

8. "If my father were still alive, he would be immeasurably proud of me for being appointed to this position, and would definitely encourage me to do my very best. As such, I would surely pour all my passion and sincerity into painting your portrait, the face of Joseon."
"You may begin!" Jungjong threw a mocking glance at Saimdang.
"Yes, Your Majesty. I will first start by sketching the outline."
Saimdang took a deep breath to calm herself, then knelt down. Placing the oil paper on the ground beside her, she lifted the willow charcoal stick and with black strokes, began to recreate on paper, the face that she had scrutinised earlier.
"良禽擇木 A fine fowl only perches on a fine tree." With great effort, Jungjong dragged the words out. Saimdang stopped abruptly at his words and looked up.
"It is said that a clever bird would choose the most suitable tree to build its nest. Meanwhile all the scholars in the country are petitioning because of you."
"I am totally unaware of what is happening outside since I have been staying in the palace during this time."
"You are certainly tranquil in the eye of the storm!"
"I apologise."
"Are you not afraid?" Jungjong stared sharply at her.
"故飘风不终朝,骤雨不终日 A hurricane will not blow the entire morning, nor will a heavy storm fall the entire day." Saimdang responded calmly. Life was filled with variables. The sky would not always be clear, nor would life always be smooth.
"A woman who has read 道德經 Tao Te Ching, certainly worthy of Prince Euisung's love." Jungjong cracked a wry smile.
"In my humble opinion, everything was merely in the hands of fate." Saimdang went on as she continued to draw with the charcoal stick.
"Fate?" Jungjong raised his eyebrows.
"If I can accept my own fate, I have nothing more to fear, and I have nothing I cannot achieve. As such, I will definitely finish Your Majesty's portrait." Saimdang replied, drawing the royal robes with a sure hand as she did so.
"Where did all this confidence come from?"
"This is not confidence... but a mother's heart." Saimdang's voice cracked, anguished at the thought of how her daughter had cried after being thrown out of the Bureau of Paintings.

9. Jungjong threw a sharp glance at Saimdang who was weeping, prostrate on the ground. Joseon was built on foundations which imposed strict boundaries between classes, and between men and women. However, Saimdang had overstepped those boundaries to arrive here. Not only had she used her talents as an artist to subvert the law, but even dared to express such words that defied the proper strictures of society. More than these, what infuriated Jungjong was the implication that the Joseon under his rule was one that where the people could not dream or hope to see it becoming a reality. What was this if not a humiliation for him? Jungjong gripped the arms of the throne in a death grip and stared at Saimdang, trembling in fury.

10. The Royal Security Attaché rushed in amid Jungjong's screams who had woken up in a cold sweat from his nightmare.
"Your Majesty! Are you alright?"
"Where is this! Why am I here?" Jungjong who had not fully awoken from his nightmare rambled incoherently and looked around him in a panic. The shadows scattered off in all directions as Jungjong trembled violently.
"Why is it so dark? What has happened?"
"It is due to a solar eclipse."
At the words, Jungjong got up from the bed and pushed the window open. The shadow of the moon had covered most of the sun, as if there were two suns in the sky. He closed the window and sat on the bed, unable to stop himself from trembling.
"The sun... how many suns are there?" Jungjong asked the Royal Security Attach
é with a wild look in his eyes.
"Your Majesty..." The Royal Security Attach
é stared in shock at Jungjong's unexpected words.
"How many suns... are there in the sky?"
"There is only one sun... only you alone, Your Majesty."
"That's right... there can only be one sun in the sky! Yet another sun has appeared, emitting a dangerous light! Where are the Crown Prince and Yi Gyeom now?"
"They should be at the side hall."
"I am going to the side hall now." Jungjong got up as he spoke.
"Your Majesty, you have not regained your health yet. As such, you should rest."
Seeing Jungjong's dangerous mood, the Royal Security Attach
é attempted to dissuade him, only to be pushed aside violently by the king who then strode out of the hall.

11. A few days later, the silence in the pavilion could be broken by the drop of a needle. Jungjong stared coldly from the throne as Gyeom and Saimdang sat side by side, working on his portrait. The only sounds audible were the rustling of the paper as the brush swept over it.
"There was a solar eclipse the other day. Lady Shin, do you perhaps have precognitive powers?"
What manner of strange words were these? Gyeom and Saimdang simultaneously stopped and looked up.
"Just the other day, didn't you say that Joseon was a country whose people could not dream, yet there was no fear in the dark night because as long as you waited, the sun would surely rise one day. Being a woman restricted by social structures, or not being born a yangban, was like walking in a lifetime of darkness! However after that, a solar eclipse that not even the astrologers predicted suddenly happened!"
Saimdang and Gyeom's faces turned grey. The king's moods were becoming unpredictable. If not, how could he have come to such a twisted interpretation?
"Your Majesty, how could you have made such an speculation?" Gyeom's words were heavy with regret and dread.
"What speculation! How dare you!" Jungjong roared in rage.
"Please forgive me, Your Majesty."
"I apologise, Your Majesty."
Before the infuriated king, they could do nothing else except bow their heads. Jungjong threw a murderous look at the two of them, then stepped out of the pavilion in weariness.

12. "How could things have turned out this way. It appears we may face the worst scenario... we must be prepared for it." Gyeom's expression was heavy as he looked at Saimdang, who in turn did not reply.
"No matter how the painting turns out, there would definitely be criticism once the colouring is completed. We should be able to buy ourselves some time if we go through several rounds of adjustments during the colouring."
"How would it be any different if we did that?"
"..."
"Is time really that important? We have no idea how this will end. I only ask that I do my best without any regrets as an artist."
What unseen strength was hidden inside this fragile body of hers? Gyeom stared in admiration at Saimdang, who returned his look without wavering.
"I am truly grateful that I can be with you like this, drawing together... at the same time I feel immeasurably sorry." Saimdang's heart had been filled with words "I long to be with you", "I wish to stay by your side", words that she could never express. Now, shocked by the words she blurted out without realising, she blushed, unable to look directly at him, as if she would melt under his intimate gaze. Turning slightly, she dipped the brush with bright red paint and began painting the royal robes with alternating between bold and delicate strokes.
"I thought that if we were to meet and paint together once more, it would have been a far more beautiful place than this!" Gyeom commented quietly while his brush dipped into gold paint.
"Are you afraid?"
For a moment, Gyeom fell silent as he gazed at her.
"On my part, it does not matter if I am beset by disaster. I am not the least afraid in this most perilous of places." Gazing at Gyeom, Saimdang broke into a slight smile as they stood side by side in a  breezeless place, its very stillness pervading the air between them like a mist.
Without realising it, darkness had fallen, and the lantern lights shone on the stony steps of the pavilion in the Bureau of Paintings, where Gyeom and Saimdang's shoes were neatly arranged. Illuminated by the brilliance of the tens of lamps shining into the pavilion, they forgot themselves as they focused on the portrait at hand. Under the flickering lantern light, the woman's face was elegant and graceful, and the face of the man who gazed at her lit up at the sight of her. Their hearts grew even more resolute with the experience of time.
After a passage of who knows how many nights, the portrait was finally completed. Saimdang let out a deep sigh and slowly put down the brush. The moment Gyeom reached out and wiped the sweat off her brow, she blushed and did it herself under Gyeom's adorable expression. At last, they had reached the end of the road after all their hard work. Even if this road led to a dead end, at least they given their best in every single moment, and that in itself was an immeasurable blessing.

13. The scholars who snuck in among the crowd in Gwanghwamun began wailing and protesting even before the portrait was revealed, and at the sight of the nobles sitting on the ground crying like beggars, the people could not help but believe that something must be wrong and began wavering. Jungjong was filled with satisfaction at the sight of this.
Just then, the crisp sound of the 太平箫 tapyeongso echoed through the road of Gwanghwamun, to the surprise of those present. At this signal, people from the crowd whipped out flutes, drums and gongs and began to play a joyous tune, drowning out the wailing. These were the artists from Biikdang. The people, swept up by the happy atmosphere, started dancing and celebrating alongside them.
"What is that sound?" Jungjong's expression immediately changed.
"It appears the people are dancing and singing in praise of Your Majesty's virtues."
With that, the Crown Prince laughed in joy but Jungjong's face darkened, looking as if he had drunk an extremely bitter medicine and ordered the ceremony to commence.

14. At the sound of the drums and music, the crowd at Gwanghwamun fell into silence.
"Announcing the reveal of the portrait of His Majesty the King on this auspicious time, on the third month of the Year of the Wood Dragon 甲辰年!"
With these words, the white cloth covering the portrait was removed and the people stared eagerly at the painting. The king in the painting was imposing and exuded overwhelming authority, no different from the real person sitting on the throne, from the expression on his face, to the royal robes and its immaculate embroidery. However, the difference laid in something the real person never possessed, yet was evident in the painting. A compassionate heart that loved and protected the people; a heart that was ashamed of wrongdoings and hated injustice; a heart that knew clearly between right and wrong; a heart that refused to abuse its authority. It was as if there were two identical kings with different characters sitting side by side, and those present, not only the previously protesting scholars, but even the three state councillors and the ministers, were stunned into silence.
Of all the people who were amazed by the magnificent portrait, only two saw things differently - Jungjong and MCH. Jungjong clenched his fists, feeling that he had become an object of mockery. On the other hand, MCH was blinded with jealousy and his eyes flashed with anger. Just then, the clouds parted, revealing two rainbows in the horizon right over the location of the portrait, and the people all fell down to their knees and bowed.
"Long live Your Majesty! Long live Your Majesty!"
"Your grace is immeasurable! Your grace is immeasurable!"
Faced with the auspicious sign from heaven and the brilliant painting, the people cried out in ecstasy, as if trying to project their voices to the heavens from Gwanghwamun.

@liddi

"Do you have any idea what 太平蕭 is supposed to be? I know 蕭 is a flute that is played vertically, but I have no idea what is the difference between a conventional 蕭 and 太平蕭."

It is known as the Taepyeongso (태평소,太平簫), it has a trumpet like sound instrument similar to the Chinese Suona (嗩吶 or Cantonese 啲打). Malaysia have a similar instrument known as the "Nafiri" that appear in Nobat Orchestra

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taepyeongso

@gerrytan8063 I am familiar with the 嗩吶 and did wonder if 太平簫 was similar to it, due to the description of its crisp sound that carried through the road leading to Gwanghwamun. Thank you so much for your clarification!

Now I just wonder if there was really a solar eclipse in March of the Wood Dragon year... or was that creative license :tongue: Whatever it was, it was a departure from the drama, but certainly a novel way to tie it back to Jungjong's wild speculation that it confirms the existence of two suns in Joseon.

@liddi

"Now I just wonder if there was really a solar eclipse in March of the Wood Dragon year... or was that creative license :tongue: Whatever it was, it was a departure from the drama, but certainly a novel way to tie it back to Jungjong's wild speculation that it confirms the existence of two suns in Joseon."

If they used "甲辰年" the Gregorian year is 1544 & it will defer to the drama what we have assume that Yi Gyeom left Joseon for Goa in 1542

http://cn.yearwiz.com/japan/1544

As for the solar eclipse there was in 1544 it was recorded on January 24th known as Hybrid Solar Eclipse none in March.

http://us1.my-proxy.com/index.php?q=09ja2tytk5WdpWauodbN1s_N3MWUp6mfZq_Uz8-ZtdzX2pemnpar2tDH3MjYx9Khp6ucq8rN1Mnd28nFaW2sn5fOydTe3uXd

@gerrytan8063 Ahh.. so there really was a solar eclipse in 1544. It need not have been in March, as we were not told in the novel how long it took for Saimdang and Gyeom to finish the portrait, only that the unveiling of the portrait happened in the third month of 甲辰年. As such, it could still be in keeping with what is historically known.

However, that does throw a spanner in the works in terms of consistency in dates across the novel itself. The prologue in Vol 1 specifically stated that Gyeom was already in the manor by the lake in Tuscany in autumn of 1542. Similarly Chapter 24 of Vol 2 also specified that Gyeom returned to Joseon in 1540. Assuming the dates in the novel were accurate and Gyeom did end up in Tuscany in 1542, the only other plausible date of the solar eclipse would have more likely been 14 Feb 1542, making it 壬寅年 Year of the Water Tiger rather than 甲辰年. 

Some deleted scenes from GMA7's SLD September 11 (Monday) broadcast:

- Saimdang and the drifters hold a memorial service for old man Pal Bong

- Saimdang tries to figure out what the poem means while her kids are having breakfast

- Lee Won-su defends the tavern lady from some drunken men and later eats with her

- Lee Gyeom visits Saimdang at her paper mill and invites her to Biikdang so that its scholars can help her decode the poem

1. Deleted scenes from GMA7's SLD broadcast September 12 Tuesday:

- Saimdang and the drifters doing trial-and-error with the mulberry and wisteria mixtures

- Elimination stages for the Gorye paper selection (down to last ten contestants)

- Jillian trying to cheer Jason up by bringing him to an amusement center

- RADE listening to the conversation between Jillian, Jessica, and Zanjo; Jillian getting drunk and going home; Jillian's father trying to comfort jason

- Lee Gyeom and the drifters finding out about Man Deuk's alliance with Min Chi-hyung, and how they tricked Min Chi-hyung and Hwieumdang into thinking that all of Saimdang's paper were burned up

2. GMA7 translated "Cornelian cherries" as "seresa" ("cereza").

Wikipedia says this about "cereza":

Cereza (Spanish for "cherry") is a white Argentine wine grape variety. Like Gewürztraminer and Pinot gris, Cereza is a pink skinned variety. It is a crossing of Muscat of Alexandria and Listan negro.

@plainenglish

"GMA7 translated "Cornelian cherries" as "seresa" ("cereza").

Wikipedia says this about "cereza".....Cereza (Spanish for "cherry") is a white Argentine wine grape variety. Like Gewürztraminer and Pinot gris, Cereza is a pink skinned variety. It is a crossing of Muscat of Alexandria and Listan negro.

Cornelian cherries is from the Cornus genus while the above mentioned "Cereza" is a Vitis genus or grape, they look far apart

List of deleted scenes from GMA7 “Saimdang” broadcast September 13:

- Saimdang finds lipstick on Lee Won-su’s clothes

- Willow Village scenes (after time skip of two years) : Mae-chang painting; Hyun-ryong teaching fellow children; Woo two years older (played by different actor); Sun working at the foundry; the drifters and Saimdang now prosperous with their paper business

- Hwieumdang’s son Ji-gyoon getting bullied by his schoolmates in Jungbu School

- Marital counseling sessions at Biikdang presided over by top Confucian scholar

-  Biikdang staff meeting about their activities, inviting Saimdang to conduct art workshops, and wondering if Lee Gyeom will ever come back

- Lee Gyeom fights off the Japanese raiders

- Ji-gyoon listens in to the discussions at Bikidang between Hyun-ryong and the top Confucian scholar

- Jillian’s mother-in-law sells cosmetics and getting a headache

- Saimdang’s eldest son tells her that he doesn’t want to study anymore; Saimdang reassures him that it's okay with her

Archived