[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

@gerrytan8063 @liddi

1. In the picture below, what’s the term for the embroidered white cloth that hangs around Saimdang’s forearms?

I read somewhere that this white cloth is used later on to catch dates thrown by the parents. Besides catching dates, what are its other purposes? What objects are embroidered in that white cloth? Or are these objects standard for all brides? Are there symbolisms to the embroidered objects?

2. What’s the main difference between the “wonsam” and the “hwalot”?

I understand that the “wonsam” is green in color and patterned after the dress worn by Joseon princesses.

3. In our discussion about the "embroidered napkin" (or whatever it is), why would Hwieumdang prepare them since only the men attended the Yongdu Fellowship in Ep. 5?

4. In Saimdang’s conversation with the house broker (Ep. 5, SBS version, starting at the 34:20 mark), the broker tells her: “And nobody wants to live there because the former queen lives next door, who got kicked out because her father was a rebel.”

GMA7’s Filipino translation of that conversation goes like this: “Ang isa sa mga katabing bahay nun ay tinitirhan ng isang kilalang asile.”

I’ve listened several times to that sentence, and I’m sure I heard that word “asile correctly. But the problem is, I don’t know what that Filipino word means. And I don’t think an ordinary Filipino viewer would also understand what the word “asile” means (if indeed it’s a Filipino word).

I did some research, and I found out that there’s a French word “asile” which means refuge, sanctuary, or political asylum. Could GMA7 have used the French word (meaning "political asylum") and transliterated it into Filipino? Or could the original Korean dialogue really refer to "political asylum"? For example, I couldn't hear in that dialogue the Korean words for queen ("jeon jeon mama"?) or father ("abuji"?).

I probably have to ask the “Surian ng Wikang Pambansa” (Commission on the Filipino Language, a government office) what that word “asilemeans.

EDvwjaf.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@plainenglish From the iflix and GTV subs in the international version, I do not see any reference to political asylum:

雖然是有一處沒錯… 但我的良心說那裡不行。我怎麼想都覺得那裡不是人住的地方。那已經空了好幾十年了,不停地漏雨,簡直是兇宅。而且啊… 隔壁住著被趕出去的叛賊女兒,廢妃慎氏,所以大家都避開呢
There is one house available, but my conscience won't let me send you there. No one can or should live there. It's been empty for a few decades. Rain seeps down, and it's like a haunted house. Plus, the traitor's daughter, Deposed Queen Shin, lives next door, so no one wants to live there.

cr. iflix subs

GTV C-subs basically say the same thing. 

目前是有那麼一間現成的… 可我好歹是有良心的。我再麼想都覺得那裡不是人住的地方。已經空了好幾十年,不只會漏雨,而且是兇宅 兇宅。而且啊… 剛好就在被驅逐的叛賊之女廢妃慎氏家隔壁,大家都很忌諱
There is one available... but I still have a conscience. No matter how I think about it, it is not a place fit to live. It has been vacant for a few decades. Not only does the roof leak, but it is a haunted house, haunted house. In addition... it is right next to the home of the traitor's daughter who was banished, Deposed Queen Shin, so everyone avoids it.

@plainenglish @liddi

"1. In the picture below, what’s the term for the embroidered white cloth that hangs around Saimdang’s forearms?"

I always had thought that the embroidery was an attachment of the sleeves. If there is an extra white sash that cover over the sleeves, I have no knowledge of the name 

36544529861_64bdd511db_n.jpg

"I read somewhere that this white cloth is used later on to catch dates thrown by the parents. Besides catching dates, what are its other purposes? What objects are embroidered in that white cloth? Or are these objects standard for all brides? Are there symbolisms to the embroidered objects?"

Catching red dates/jujubes & chestnuts symbolise children. As for Saimdang bridal sleeves, it is a phoenix embroidery, while others will be embroidery design & symbols for longevity, great fortune & happy marriage.

"3. In our discussion about the "embroidered napkin" (or whatever it is), why would Hwieumdang prepare them since only the men attended the Yongdu Fellowship in Ep. 5?"

I have already given my assessment in page 94 regarding the "embroidery napkin" The word is Hui Geon (희건,絺巾, linen or hemp or embroidery towel/cloth)

"2. What’s the main difference between the “wonsam” and the “hwalot”?"

Wonsam is worn on official & ceremonial functions while hwalot is mainly a bridal robe, also the headgear or hair pieces are different

36287102200_3bf3e56301_n.jpg`35847914704_e3867121db_n.jpg

Wonsam                                              Hwalot

The flowers on the sleeves are peony and lotus flowers which the symbolise wealth.

"For example, I couldn't hear in that dialogue the Korean words for queen ("jeon jeon mama"?) or father ("abuji"?)."

In the current situation, Queen Dangyeong will be refer as Pye Bi Shin ssi (폐비 신씨, Deposed Queen Shin), you only address the Queen as Jung Jeon Mama when you personally address her 

As for historical facts, Jungjong was the usurper of the throne, although Yeonsangun was the tyrant King but he was the rightful heir to the throne, therefore history who is written by the victor, the usurper will have to write history that Queen Dangyeong father Shin Su Geun was branded a traitor/rebel but in fact he was loyal to the rightful King. Injong & Myeongjong acknowledge & recorded in their annals that Queen Dangyeong father was frame & killed for fear of being the political foe to the officials who usurp the throne for the fact that he was the father in law of Jungjong. In 1739, Yeongjo restore Shin Su Geun status & posthumously investiture titles to him

If you want to see how this unfolds, the recent KBS drama 7 days Queen  depicts the story

@plainenglish @liddi

I have found the said embroidery white sash that will cover the sleeves

36521742262_5c47ca04a9.jpg

According to the above the white sash is known as Jeol Su Geon (절수건 - 절 is the Korean native word  for bowing as in 배/拜). It is only use as a covering (perhaps for modesty purpose) during the wedding ceremony & most likely be the white sash to catching or netting those red dates & chest nuts

The writing is "二姓之合 萬福之原" (이선지합 만복지원, literally "May the union of 2 families, prosper in posterity)

It look like a huge advertisement bunting for the bride....I will prosper with children 

36296015030_59f78c22e0.jpg

This is a clip on Korean Traditional wedding, the bride have the Jeol Su Geon

A. Other interesting studies:

(1) “Hansik and Hallyu: An Analysis of the Filipino Appropriation of Korean Cuisine as a Function of Imagining Korean Culture” at http://journals.ateneo.edu/ojs/index.php/aiks/article/view/2022/2015

(2 )“Appropriated Koreanness: Orientalism, Authenticity, and the Mutated Authority of “Eat Your Kimchi” at http://congress.aks.ac.kr/korean/files/2_1478847289.pdf

B. Facebook groups:

(1) My page discussing SLD and GMA7’s broadcast at https://www.facebook.com/SaimdangSoulmatesGMA7/

(2) Korean Drama Society in the Philippines at https://www.facebook.com/pg/KoreanDramaSocietyPhilippines/posts/

C. In my Campus Connection blog, I have written several spoiler-free synopsis by episode of Korean historical dramas. These are:

1.  “Saimdang, Light’s Diary” (aka “Saimdang, Soulmates Across Time”) SBS version at https://campusconnection.blogspot.com/2017/01/saimdang-lights-diary-synopsis-by-episode.html

For the synopsis of the international version, surf to https://betterenglish-rx.blogspot.com/2017/05/saimdang-lights-diary-synopsis-plain-english.html

2. “Moonlight Drawn by Clouds” aka “Love in the Moonlight” at http://campusconnection.blogspot.com/2016/08/moonlight-drawn-by-clouds-love-in-the-moonlight.html

3. “The Flower in Prison” at http://campusconnection.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-flower-in-prison-synosis-by-episode.html

4. “Six Flying Dragons” at http://campusconnection.blogspot.com/2016/06/six-flying-dragons-synopsis-by-episode.html

5. “Empress Ki” (with minimal spoilers) at http://campusconnection.blogspot.com/2014/10/empress-ki-koreanovela-on-gma7-episodes.html

6. “A Jewel in the Palace” aka “Dae Jang Geum” at http://campusconnection.blogspot.com/2016/05/a-jewel-in-the-palace-dae-jang-geum-synopsis.html

7. “The King’s Doctor” a.k.a “Horse Doctor” at http://campusconnection.blogspot.com/2015/05/kings-doctor-horse-doctor-episodes-recap.html

8. “Rebel: Thief Who Stole People” spoiler-free synopsis by episode at http://campusconnection.blogspot.com/2017/02/rebel-thief-who-stole-the-people-synopsis.html

My other blog posts relating to Korean historical dramas are:

1. “Photography lessons from Korean historical dramas” at http://campusconnection.blogspot.com/2015/08/photography-lessons-from-korean-dramas.html

2. “Relationship tips from Korean dramas”at https://saltandlight2005.blogspot.com/2015/03/relationship-tips-from-korean-dramas.html

GMA7’s August 17 broadcast had 36 minutes of the actual drama and 24 minutes of commercials. No wonder a lot of viewers are getting turned off!

I do understand that GMA7 has to make money (and lots of it) to please its stockholders and to recoup what it paid for the SLD broadcast rights.( Each episode of SLD was reportedly sold to China for US 270,000 dollars and to Netflix for around US 20,000 dollars. GMA7 probably bought the SLD rights for a lesser amount than what the Chinese company paid for.)

But GMA7 should realize that if the viewers get turned off, the drama’s ratings will sink, and the advertisers won’t be happy.

Chapter 22 covers several key events, from escaping MCH's pursuit, to their time in the cave, the decoding of the poem, the paper competition, a longer version of the poem she transcribed on to her painting, and finally Saimdang and Gyeom's separation. These familiar scenes are given fresh insight and depart from the drama in more ways than one. In particular, the scene when Saimdang says goodbye to Gyeom plays out differently here, with far greater poignancy. Where the drama shows Gyeom's desperation for her to stay, and Saimdang's resolution to leave with her wrenching her hand from his grasp, the novel gives us a different perspective... Gyeom's unspoken yearning as he clung to her hand, only to let her go at last of his own volition simply because he could never go against her wishes, no matter how it tore him apart. Heartbreaking.

On a separate note, in the novel, 白樊粉末 was added to the glue to sabotage Saimdang, but despite my attempts, I have failed thus far to figure out what white powder is 白樊粉末 supposed to be. The drama subs refer to the added ingredient as vinegar but I am unable to find anywhere that shows that 白樊粉末 is an alternate name for it. @gerrytan8063 Do you have any idea what it might be? 
ADDENDUM: Thank you @gerrytan8063 for clarifying that it actually refers to 白礬 alum - have fixed the translations accordingly!

Novel Vol 2: Part 5 Fallen
Chapter 22

1. The rays of dawn crept into the room. Jungjong reached for the water by the bed and gulped it down in one go, feeling more at ease with that act. Ever since the issue with the Ming Goryeo paper, he had suffered from insomnia, a condition which would only improve once he could send the Ming imperial messenger on his way. The mere thought of the imperial messenger still at Dongpo embassy resulted in his loss of appetite, an unease settled upon his heart which he could not dispel, so much so that his judgment suffered.
Despite having sentenced MCH to be beheaded, he could not be certain this was the right decision. After all, MCH had been responsible for the Goryeo paper tributes to Ming for so many years. Although he had empowered Gyeom with the full authority to manufacture Goryeo paper, the man had disappeared without a word. If even MCH was gone, who could take up the responsibility of making Goryeo paper? In addition to this, Jungjong was concerned that he had given Gyeom too much power, and his sense of insecurity gnawed at him.
The consolidation of a king's power was equivalent to building a fortress. A strong fortress could not made from large rocks alone, but the combination of large and small rocks in the right places. If the court comprised only of loyal subjects, would the sovereignty of the throne be solidified? On the contrary, loyal and evil subjects, clean and corrupt officials should be made to compete against one another. Jungjong continued to ponder, his eyes seemingly trying to see beyond the confines of the hall.
"Receive my decree! Withdraw the execution of Minister Min!" The three state councillors and ministers were dismayed at Jungjong's sudden change of mind, and dreaded MCH's retaliation.

2. Upon learning of the events at Woonpyeongsa from Hwieumdang, including the secret of the Goryeo paper, the infuriated MCH rode around Hanyang accompanied by more than ten masked men, with Gyeom and Saimdang's facial composites in hand. All the merchants in the area were frightened to see their fierce expressions and gave them a wide berth.
"What on earth is MCH doing here?"
Gyeom who had arrived on horseback to the capital with Saimdang could not believe his eyes when he saw MCH and his men. Hadn't Jungjong given the order for his execution? Could it be that the king had changed his mind? He could not comprehend what was happening right before him.
"What should we do?"
Saimdang gripped tightly on to the Water Moon Avalokitesvara painting and stared in MCH's direction. Swiftly, Gyeom alighted from the horse and helped Saimdang down. With a smack, he set the horse running in the direction of the entrance to the capital, then pulled Saimdang behind the trees. At the sight of the magnificent horse, MCH knew immediately that it belonged to royalty.
"Hunt down the owner of the horse! They couldn't have gone far, search carefully!"
At his command, the men immediately thundered off on their horses amid the scattering dust.
Hiding in the forest towards the east of Bugaksan mountain, Gyeom and Saimdang could hear the hoofbeats of MCH's party, and the frightened birds that took flight at the sound. Pulling her hand, they ran into the forest, gasping as they did so. The arduous journey on horseback from Gangneung had taken several days before finally reaching Hanyang, and at this moment, their energy was drained.
"Let's do our best!"
Gyeom's arm encircled Saimdang's waist as she tried to catch her breath. Wiping the sweat of her brow, she nodded. Just then, a sword whizzed threw the air and entrenched itself between the two of them.
"Old flames... are you planning to run off into the night hand in hand?"

3. At the sound of MCH's mocking voice, Saimdang's body froze. Gyeom pulled her behind him and aimed his sword at MCH as MCH's men surrounded them both.
"Thanks to you, I was close to death's door and barely survived! When hunting a tiger, you should kill it with one blow of the sword, not simply wound it." MCH brought his sword forcibly down towards Gyeom's neck.
"What tiger? It was just a wild wolf!"
Their swords met with a clash and time seemed to both come to a standstill, at the same time taking flight. Sparks flew everywhere and the terrified Saimdang, trembling and rooted to the ground, could not utter even a sound. MCH's men advanced menacingly towards her while Gyeom and MCH's battle raged on, relentlessly attacking each other. Gyeom's swift attacks were easily deflected by his opponent. However, just when it seemed as if he would stumble backwards, he suddenly launched a furious counterattack, slicing MCH's sword in two. As MCH fell to his knee, Gyeom held his sword to his neck. Seeing the unfavourable turn of events, one of the men made a move towards Saimdang only to catch Gyeom's flying knife in the back, amid Saimdang's piercing screams. A fierce fight ensued, at the end of which all the men found themselves on the ground, disarmed and incapacitated.
Just when Gyeom's attention was diverted, MCH's sword came down furiously on his shoulder, and blood flowed unceasingly to the ground. Shocked to the core, Saimdang flew to Gyeom's side, dropping the painting as she did so, upon which MCH immediately picked up the painting and broke into a smile. With MCH momentarily distracted, Saimdang seized the opportunity to support Gyeom up and quickly flee.
As darkness settled over the mountain, MCH's private army continued their pursuit of Gyeom and Saimdang. Suddenly, they were surrounded by royal guards armed to the teeth with long spears and arrows. These were sent by So Seyang to save Gyeom the moment he heard news of MCH's intent. With the royal guards blocking every exit route, MCH's men immediately surrendered, while MCH, seeing the vast numbers of So Seyang's army, retreated and left with the painting.

4. Saimdang and Gyeom took refuge in a cave in the mountains. As he laid there, breaking into an uncontrollable cold sweat, it was clear that the wound MCH delivered to his shoulder was far more serious than they realised. Faced with no other choice, Saimdang removed his upper garment, and applied crushed medicinal herbs on the wound.
"This will help to stem the blood flow." 
She then tore off the hem of her skirt and tied it around Gyeom's shoulder. Unable to stop trembling due to the chill, Gyeom stared pale-faced at Saimdang who continued to care for him. If he could be with her, it mattered not what suffering he had to endure, even if he had to suffer thus for the rest of his life. Saimdang's eyes were brimming with tears but she bit her lower lip and held them back, before helping Gyeom put on his upper garment once more.
"I had a dream... a dream of us twenty years ago, making dyes and painting... it was vivid as if it just happened yesterday." Gyeom murmured through dry lips.
"I was so very happy... seeing your ink grape painting! Riding back together with you was like a dream. How wonderful it would be if we could stay in this moment forever."
"You have lost too much blood... please conserve your energy! Don't speak anymore." Saimdang dared not meet Gyeom's eyes, desperately afraid that she would not be able to stop her tears from flowing. Averting his gaze, she took off her jangot and placed it over his body.
"For the girl who climbed over the wall to see the Mt. Geumgang painting... I am willing to do anything for you... just to see your paintings once more." Having said this, Gyeom lapsed into unconsciousness.
It was then and only then that Saimdang allowed her tears to fall. This man who would give his all for her, who set aside everything and rushed over to save her - how could she not love him?
With anguished eyes, she looked at Gyeom's face as he slept and her cold hands touched his burning forehead. "Please do not suffer for me." Words which she could not verbalise choked in her throat and her tears soaked her lips, falling like petals on to Gyeom's feverish forehead. Out in the darkened forest, a storm gathered. Throughout the night, Saimdang watched over Gyeom to the sounds of the falling rain. At last, when the rain had abated and a sliver of sunlight crept into the cave, Saimdang departed without a word. Gyeom, awoken by the sounds, could only watch helplessly as Saimdang disappeared into the light.

5. News of Grandpa Pal Bong's death shook the drifters to the core. How important exactly was that paper anyway that it would cost a person his life? Paper was burnt as an offering for Grandpa Pal Bong's departed spirit. The dark, scattered ashes flew into the distance, akin to Grandpa Pal Bong's soul who was sacrificed for paper, leaving them behind. Now, their purpose for manufacturing Goryeo paper was no longer merely for the benefits it would bring, but had become their mission. With burning resolution, the drifters threw themselves into their work, giving their all to make the best paper.
With the contest four days away, Saimdang's expression was downcast as she watched the drifters hard at work. Although the painting had fallen into MCH's hands, thankfully she had already commited the poem to memory. However no solution to the secret of the poem was in sight, no matter how hard she tried to decipher it. Must they give up now having come so far? Was this really the end of the road for them? Saimdang returned her attention to the poem on hand. Just then, little Wu who was playing at the mill, ran in and jumped into her arms.
"Mother! I wrote these! I wrote all these!" Wu waved a paper filled with the characters 木 "wood" and 林 "forest" and held it up for her to see.
"That's good, that's good, very nicely written!" Saimdang, engrossed in the poem, replied distractedly without paying much attention to the paper.
"Mother, two 木 written side by side makes 樹林 a forest." Wu pointed at the words with his small finger.
"That's right! Two 木 from the word 'tree' put together would make 林 'forest'." The words which Saimdang uttered without thinking, suddenly struck her and she quickly pored over the poem which she had written down. The character 林 referred not to forest, but two 木 characters after all! Two types of wood were needed to make the paper.
"I've got it! The answer is mulberry and wisteria." Saimdang rushed out to tell the drifters. Wu did not understand what had transpired but followed his mother nonetheless, skipping and running as he did so.
"It's wisteria!" Saimdang cried out in joy.
"Wisteria?" The leader of the drifters who was busy shaving off the bark of the mulberry tree, looked at Saimdang, uncomprehending.
"I mean, the secret is to mix wisteria in the pulp!"
Hearing Saimdang's words, the drifters who were in the midst of their work came running over.
"Is it enough to mix mulberry and wisteria?" Their leader asked on their behalf.
"We still have no idea what the composition of the two types of wood should be. The correct ratio is crucial to making genuine Goryeo paper. Now, we need to figure out the correct ratio. The main ingredient for Goryeo paper is mulberry.  Wisteria is akin to the seasoning in the soup, it cannot be too much or too little."

6. When Man Deuk's arson attempt was foiled by the angry drifters, he was beaten up by them until Saimdang stopped them, wanting to give him another chance by being a double agent instead.

7. At last the finalists of the Goryeo paper competition was announced - Jangwon Paper Store and Yangryu Paper Mill, represented by Saimdang, to Hwieumdang's dismay and shock.
"Saimdang, why are you here? How could you be here?"
"Panicking? Surely you didn't think that I would be sitting in the dust, doing nothing?"
"..."
"I told you before that I no longer owed you anything! Furthermore, I would not be at a disadvantage anymore due to you." Saimdang shot Hwieumdang a cold stare.
"The paper Jangwon Paper Store and Yangryu Paper Mill submitted were of exceptional quality, and as such, it was hard to determine which paper was superior. Therefore, the determining round will be to paint on the submitted paper, from which we will observe the rendition of the colours. Since both of you are extremely well-versed in the strengths of your own paper, we would like both representatives to paint on the paper you have manufactured."
Having concluded his words, Gyeom looked at Saimdang, his eyes brimming with encouragement - I believe in you, do your best! Thank you for having made it to this point.

8. Gyeom noticed the meaningful glance Hwieumdang gave to the official who brought the paint materials, but since he did not know what they were up to, he could only look anxiously at Saimdang.
On the other hand, she, not having perceived anything, had a glow on her face. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before pouring the water into the paint and mixing it with her finger. Surprised to feel a strange sticky sensation on her fingertips, Saimdang checked the glue in the water bowl and caught a whiff of a sour smell. There was no question that alum powder 白礬粉末 has been added to it. What kind of trap is this? Brows furrowed, Saimdang glanced over at Hwieumdang who had already began to paint her flowers and birds painting with gorgeous colours. The rich colours of butterflies fluttering over the red flowers were dazzling, the brush strokes exciting and alluring, eliciting collective sighs of praise from the judges.
Meanwhile, Saimdang, sweat on her brow, still could not raise her brush. She calmly closed her eyes and took slow breaths to collect her emotions. Just then, a fresh floral scent wafted in.
"Cornelia cherries! The scent of cornelia cherries!"
Quietly mumbling to herself, Saimdang opened her eyes and arose from her seat, following the direction of the scent like a butterfly in search for flowers. She stopped before the dogwood tree and began to pluck the abundant fruits before returning to the table.
Saimdang quickly used the other end of the brush as a wooden pestle to crush the fruits, transforming the bright red fruit of the cherries into paint. There was only one brush left that was not contaminated by the powder. Her expression resolute, there was no hesitation as the brush in her hand began to flit across the paper with each stroke. The competition has finally begun, just you watch, Hwieumdang!
The wood grains appeared smoothly on the paper. Then, using her fingertip in place of the contaminated brushes, Saimdang dipped it in the cherry paint and drew flower petals. One by one, red plum blossoms began to bloom, their petals swaying in the wind, its fragrance almost tangible. All who saw the painting were drawn into the illusion, drawing deep breaths in an attempt to capture a whiff of the scent.

"寒風中走了漫長的道路
 Walking through a long road in the cold wind
 雖然崎嶇的道路上有許多苦難
 Despite the many sufferings upon the rugged path
 但在盡頭梅花一朵朵綻放
 Plum blossoms bloom at the end of the road 
 是凍僵的手造就了美麗的春天!
 It is the beautiful spring day created by frozen hands!"

Saimdang added the poem to the empty space of the painting, her hands trembling and her despondence gave way to hope. Finally, she put down the brush and handed the painting over to the official.

9. "I choose this painting!"
The imperial messenger held Saimdang's painting up high, much to Hwieumdang's disbelief. Saimdang broke into a brilliant smile and nodded her thanks to him.
"Prince Euisung's judgment should be the same as mine. As such, please give a commentary on my behalf." The Ming imperial messenger handed both paintings over to Gyeom standing by his side, who in turn bowed as he accepted them, before starting his analysis.
"What would one be inspired to paint in a garden that is lacking? Likewise, what would one think of giving up in a garden full of charms? The painting with the red plum blossoms is elegant and refreshing, while the painting of the flowers and butterflies is utterly unrefined. Just as a woman with exquisite skin does not require heavy make-up, the paper with the plum blossoms is perfectly complemented by the painting - neither exaggerated nor inadequate. It is just like seeing the Goryeo paper of old once more."
The Ming imperial messenger nodded his head vigorously in satisfaction, wholely agreeing with Gyeom's explanation.
"However, you clearly had access to five different colours. Why did you not use them, choosing instead to use ink and colour from the fruit?" He directed his question to Saimdang.
"There were issues with the paint I was provided with," Saimdang informed quietly.
"Issues with the paint? What do you mean? Weren't you given the same materials and time?" Jungjong's face darkened as he questioned her.
"Please accept my fearful explanation, but what good would it have done to complain about the materials? It did not pose a problem. I merely wanted to express the grace and elegance of plum blossoms, so I set aside the bright colours, using only the fruit of the cornelia cherries to paint the flowers in reds and blacks."

10. After hearing Man Deuk's confession, the furious Jungjong commanded all of MCH's other crimes to be reported immediately. Gyeom told him of a witness who could prove that MCH kept a private army for the sole purpose of murdering and terrorising people, committing all kinds of crimes. He then summoned Yoon Pil, who was dragged in before the king. PM Yoon who had been sitting gloomily, stared at his son openmouthed in shock.
"And who is this?" Jungjong's face darkened.
"Your Majesty, this is my son." PM Yoon postrated himself beside his son.
"Your son? Why is your son the witness?"
"My son has been seriously ill since he was a child, unable to function as a normal person. MCH said he could cure his illness, and so they became acquainted."
"Is that so? Then he must know MCH's dark side better than anyone else. Continue on!" Jungjong directed his gaze at his son.
"Lord Min wanted me to put in a good word for him to my father so that he could become a minister with my father's backing, and I could do whatever I pleased. Lord Min gave my father a lot of bribes, and I have also seen him giving gold and treasures to the Left and Right ministers," he stammered out, sneaking a glance at his father who guiltily bowed his head. Looking at his son, PM Yoon wailed and admitted his guilt.
"Your Majesty, please punish me! I accepted MCH's bribes despite knowing that I should not have done so."
"I too have accepted his bribes, after which I never had a moment's peace. Please punish me! Your Majesty!" Left Minister kowtowed in regret.
"From the moment we accepted MCH's money, MCH had the upper hand over us, and we were under his control. Please punish us!" Right Minister reported in a choked voice.
"What has this country come to? MCH has been stringing this country along in the palm of his hand all this time!" Jungjong stared at the ministers in fury.
"Your Majesty, I deserve to die a thousand deaths for my sins. However, before you punish me, please first deal severely with MCH who has made a mockery of the government with his money." PM Yoon wept.
"Your Majesty, please punish MCH!" Left and Right Ministers as well as the others cried out. Jungjong stared at the State Councillors, speechless that these people who were equally complicit in their guilt, would dare to call for the punishment for another. It was truly an unbelievable irony.
"Exile the criminal MCH to Gapsan, Hamgyeong province, to be enclosed within a thorny hedge!"

11. As Saimdang and Gyeom stood and watched MCH being escorted to exile, their eyes were focused on the man and no one else around them.
"I have never even expressed a word of thanks to you during this time," Saimdang removed the jangot to reveal her exquisitely beautiful face as she spoke.
"There is nothing worth thanking me for, so there is no need to say it!" Gyeom deliberately coughed to disguise his bewilderment.
"Without your help, I could never have endured such hardships, and the fate of the drifters would have been even more difficult and pitiful. So I really must say thank you."
"The person you should thank is not me, but the girl who began this journey together under the myrtle tree twenty years ago. It was she who made this a reality."
"That girl no longer exists. Standing in front of you now is merely an insignificant woman. You only live once, so wasting your time on a worthless woman is an extremely foolish thing to do."
"Is love ever logical? Love is for fools."
"..."
"I am only... following my heart."
"Thank you for everything you have done." Saimdang reiterated her gratitude once last time, almost as if they would never meet again.
"Don't go!" Rather than saying these words which were his heart's cry, Gyeom caught hold of her fingertips. Saimdang did not pull away from his grasp, merely turning slowly to face him. Her smile was far more mysterious than the plum blossoms in her painting, evoking greater tenderness and love than the peonies of his works, filled with so much beauty and indescribable grief. Eyelashes brimming with tears, Gyeom could not not let go of her hand. As she turned and left, it seemed as if he would never see her again.

12. The crowd had gathered for the express purpose of witnessing MCH's banishment. However, one of them saw something he should not have. And that person was Saimdang's husband, YWS.

Previews for Ep20 and 21 which more or less cover all that transpired in Chapter 22...

@liddi

"On a separate note, in the novel, 白樊粉末 was added to the glue to sabotage Saimdang, but despite my attempts, I have failed thus far to figure out what white powder is 白樊粉末 supposed to be. The drama subs refer to the added ingredient as vinegar but I am unable to find anywhere that shows that 白樊粉末 is an alternate name for it.........Do you have any idea what it might be?

You just got me before bedtime.....

"白樊粉末" I suppose you would have run a search & got nowhere

Trying to recall my chemistry I will assume that it will be written as "白礬" (Baifan, it is closest to the Chinese root word that is given & the most likely suspect) & in english.....it will be Potassium alum which is a colorless astringent compound that is a hydrated double sulfate of aluminum & potassium, used in solution medicinally & in dyeing & tanning industry. Therefore potassium alum which comes in white crystalline powder hence "白礬粉末" can be used as a mordant (corroding substance) with natural dyes or this instance paint.

thank you & great reading

I still can't believe we are discussing subject matters in this thread

Notes on GMA7 (Philippines) broadcast of “Saimdang, Soulmates Across Time” on Monday, August 21:

1. Episode begins with Lee Gyeom confronting Saimdang in Sujinbang.

2. Episode ends with Saimdang telling Lee Won-su that he should go the temple and prepare for the next civil service exams.

3. Hye-jung is renamed as Jessica.

4. Some deleted scenes:

- Saimdang encouraging her children to make the most of their situation, and later cleaning and fixing up their house.

- Lee Gyeom trying but failing to paint again.

- Lee Gyeom being inspired by the mother dog and her puppies to paint again.

- Ministers complaining about the corrupting influence that Lee Gyeom’s paintings are creating.

- Lee Won-su playing with his children.

5. Actual drama runs for about 35:16 minutes, with around 25 minutes for commercials.

6. In the English subs of Ep. 6 (SBS version), Saimdang tells Lee Gyeom: “Did you call my husband pathetic? To my eyes, you look just that right now.”

GMA7’s translation, however, goes like this: “Ang sabi mo, masaklap ang kalagayan ko? Sa paningin ko, ikaw ang namumuhay nang ganoon."

In English, GMA7’s translation says: “You say that my life is miserable (pathetic). To my eyes, you’re the one whose life is miserable (pathetic)."

Note that in GMA7’s translation, nothing is said about Lee Gyeom calling Lee Won-su as pathetic. Based on the Korean dialogues (or translation in Chinese), is GMA7’s translation correct?

Jy0q2UY.jpg

@gerrytan8063 Am so sorry that I kept you up later than you intended... hope you  managed to get enough rest after that. Thank you so much for putting an end to my futile search similar to the wild-goose chase for 草帽花! 白礬 definitely sounds correct! Another typo from the translation... which would have left me utterly bewildered without your help. Yes, it is amazing that we are still here discussing the drama, more than 3 months after it finished airing. Am so grateful to you and @plainenglish for keeping this thread alive, making this my Saimdang happy place even now... thank you both! :) 

@plainenglish It is very disappointing to hear that GMA7 has butchered so many scenes which would have served to help understand the nuances behind the storyline. And to have almost half the time for commercials is definitely off-putting, which in turn has me worried that it might end up alienating the viewers :( Why did they remove the scene with Gyeom being inspired by the dog and her puppies? It was such a crucial, moving scene which helped to explain so vividly Gyeom's journey to redemption. Truly inconceivable.

As for the scene you mentioned, could it be that GMA7 was translating the text after Saimdang expresses her disappointment that the man she loved appears to no longer exist? iflix and GTV subs are all similar - her indignation that he called her husband pathetic:

請不要批評他。他是我孩子們的父親,也是我的丈夫
Don't criticise my husband. He's my husband and the father of my children!

cr, iflix

請不要妄加評論。是我孩子們的父親,是我的丈夫
Please do not criticise him recklessly. He is the father of my children, my husband.

cr. GTV

:

And further on...

您說我過得很窮困嗎? 現在在我眼裡… 您才是那樣子的人
You call this a life of squalor? I think you are...the one living like that in the present.

cr. iflix

您問我淪落到什麽地步嗎?在我看來,大人才真是如此
You asked how I could be reduced to this? In my eyes, it is you who is living such a life.

cr. GTV

2 hours ago, liddi said:

And further on...

您說我過得很窮困嗎? 現在在我眼裡… 您才是那樣子的人
You call this a life of squalor? I think you are...the one living like that in the present.

cr. iflix

您問我淪落到什麽地步嗎?在我看來,大人才真是如此
You asked how I could be reduced to this? In my eyes, it is you who is living such a life.

cr. GTV

1. Based on these translations, I think GMA7 got it right. (The English subs I cited to compare with GMA7's translation came from the Dramacool website.)

2. I can't find SLD on iflix again from the alphabetical listing; what's the URL for the iflix videos on SLD?

@liddi

"Thank you so much for putting an end to my futile search similar to the wild-goose chase for 草帽花! 白礬 definitely sounds correct! "

I still think the hardest search was Prof Min cosplay character at the nightclub

33083457120_7976900da9.jpg

""Cornelia cherries! The scent of cornelia cherries!"

It was Korean cornel dogwood" (San Su Yu, 산수유,山茱萸), mentioned in page 47

""Exile the criminal MCH to Gapsan, Hamgyeong province, to be enclosed within a thorny hedge!"

Wi Ri An Chi (위리안치,圍籬安置, literally means enclose (offender) in a thorny hedge) similar to the Chinese punishment of "加棘竄配" also mentioned in page 47

@plainenglish Yes I think GMA7 was correct too, which is good to know. If only they didn't edit away pertinent scenes, it would be even better. Do you know how many episodes GMA7 will be airing? Is the broadcast every weeknight, or Mondays to Thursdays only?

I watch Saimdang on iflix here. Are you able to view it? I know that there is an expiry date to iflix contents, but am definitely hoping that this drama will be available for a long time!

@gerrytan8063 Definitely the pinnacle of your many achievements has to do with identifying Prof. Min's cosplay character! I can't even begin to see how you figured it out... absolutely amazing! 

Have snuck peeks at the next chapter (the benefit of having a physical book on hand to pass the time while having the car serviced!). Really excited with what I have read so far... can't wait to see how it all plays out. Hopefully I will be able to translate it sometime soon.

@liddi

Was having lunch with my Hong Kong colleagues, they were telling me that "白礬" was one of the traditional treatment in the form of a foot bath for Hong Kong foot (香港脚 aka Athlete Foot)

"The pinnacle of your many achievements has to do with identifying Prof. Min's cosplay character! I can't even begin to see how you figured it out... absolutely amazing! "

Yes....it was at the back of my head, it was a character that Jean Reno played, but I couldn't remember the title of the movie, it took me a while. It was later when I saw the rerun of "Da Vinci Code" that it struck me.....

@gerrytan8063 The movie would have totally made no impression on me as I have never watched it so thank you for your vast and varied knowledge! Seeing the novel itself had neither an age limit to the club, nor a movie night event, we really have the drama to thank for the pleasure of guessing who Prof. Min was cosplaying, and witnessing the reemergence of Geum-ja :tongue:

While doing the translations and cross-referencing the drama last night, I showed my younger son all the breathtaking art featured and he was totally captivated - Saimdang and Hwieumdang's paintings in the Goryeo paper competition, Saimdang's watermelon and rats, Portrait of a Beauty, Gyeom's falcon, the mother-dog painting, the peony and butterfly against the red canvas, Mae Chang's kitten and butterfly painting. Just reminds me all over again just how rich this drama is in art and beauty... and how much I love it still.

@liddi

1. Thanks, the iflix link works.

2. SLD is on Mondays to Thursdays only. Not sure how many episodes GMA7 will have.

3. Tonight’s broadcast will have the hashtag #SaimdangUtos (the word “utos” is “order” in English, and so tonight, we might see the King ordering Lee Gyeom to investigate the corrupt activities of MCH and the ministers.

4. Posted below is my graphic on John Donne’s poem with both the English text and GMA7’s Filipino translation.

My only criticism of the GMA7 translation concerns the phrase “like gold to airy thinness beat”; the English text doesn’t say who or what beats the gold into thinness. (It probably refers, if taken literally, to an artisan working on a gold ornament. Figuratively, I'm not sure, but "gold" could refer to the love between Donne and his wife.)

But in its translation, GMA7 says “At tulad din ng ginto na pinanday ng panahon.” The word “ginto” in English is “gold” and the phrase “pinanday ng panahon” is “forged by time.” So GMA7 is saying that it’s time (or the passing of time) that beats gold into thinness.

UkSMwLs.jpg

@plainenglish Very glad that the link works! Happy rewatching :) 

For me, "gold" represents their love, which now has to endure physical separation, even though their hearts are still together. As such, I agree that the poem is not referring to time, but distance.
The iflix and GMA C-subs for the John Donne poem (forgive the clumsy translations!) seem to concur as well:

我們兩個的靈魂是一體的
雖然我必須離開,但並不是分別
如同被敲打得更薄的金箔
只是離得遠一些而已
Our two souls are as one
Though I must go, this is not a parting
Like gold foil that is beaten even thinner
It is only some distance apart 

cr. iflix

我倆的靈魂合而爲一
我雖離去也非分離
如同被錐打的金箔
我們只是相隔遙遠罷了
Our two souls are as one
Though I leave, it is not a parting
Like gold foil beaten thin
We are only separated by distance

cr. GMA

@liddi @plainenglish

Our two souls therefore, which are one, 
   Though I must go, endure not yet 
A breach, but an expansion, 
   Like gold to airy thinness beat. 

Here is an explanation

The fact the said love poem written around 1611-1612 that John Donne had left for a long trip to Europe for his poor wife Ann stuck at home to manage 10 children in 1611 & will have pretty tough time, the poor woman died from child birth in 1617 delivering their 12th child

@gerrytan8063

What's the name of the screen that’s behind the King’s throne featuring mountains, maybe the moon (on the left) and the sun (on the right)?

I first noticed this screen in “The Moon That Embraces The Sun,” and I thought that the screen was made only for that drama. But then to my surprise, I saw the screen in Ep. 9 of “A Jewel in the Palace.” Since then, I’ve seen this screen in numerous historical dramas.

jOpqw7i.jpg

Archived