[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

@liddi

"I did not realise historically, they did meet before his passing, which makes their enforced separation all the more poignant and tragic. Seeing you find Seven Day Queen a better representation of them, I might try it once things settle down, having a soft spot as I do for Queen Dangnyeong, thanks to Saimdang."

In the drama, they make into a love story....Queen Dangyeong was first & foremost Grand Prince Jinseong later Jungjong's wife then Queen Consort while others who come or succeed after her was just Queen Consort & political alliance

35540499946_dc6dce6afc_n.jpg

In the annals, Queen Dangyeong visit Jungjong at Hwan Gyeong Jeon (환경전, 歡慶殿, was made into a private hospital ward where Dae Jang Geum was the physician in charge), Changdeokgung Palace on the 15th November 1544 as Jungjong already abdicated his throne to Crown Prince Yi Ho later Injong on the 14th November 1544 & Jungjong passed away 29th November 1544

I have written the historical post on the thread, you may read through when you free. Just a summary

Injong acknowledge Queen Dangyeong in his reign as his father's Consort & wife is that his mother Queen Janggyeong became Queen on Queen Dangyeong's misfortunes. In the 1st year reign of Injong & also Queen Janggyeong's son in 1545, Injong upgrade & investiture Queen Dangyeong at the aged of 59, residence from Pyebigung (폐비궁,廢妃宮) to a more appropriate Jasugung (자수궁,慈壽宮 literally means Palace of Compassionate Longevity since Injong is the succeeding King & technically not officially but on relationship ties, Queen Dangyeong will be have Dowager status in his reign being the Consort of his father Jungjong (she is deposed not divorce)

When she died in 1557 at the aged of 71 years, she was befitted by Myeongjong with the funeral rites of 2nd rank (이등례,二等禮) which is investiture to Princedom & title as Queen Shin ( 신비,愼妃) & wore mourning clothes as a sign of respect

Official memorial rites were render to her after her passing. In 1739, Yeongjo restore her Queenship & the investiture title/temple name as Queen Dangyeong (단경왕후,端敬王后) with the additional posthumous title (시호,諡號) Gong So Sun Yeol (공소순열,恭昭順烈). Yeongjo also restore Queen Dangyeong parents, her father with the Princedom title of Internal Prince Ik Chang Buwongun (익창 부원군,益昌府院君, investiture title bestowed to Queen Consort's father), while her mother Internal Princess Consort Cheong Won (청원부부인, 淸原府夫人, investiture title bestowed to Queen Consort's mother). Her tomb was upgraded to the Royal Tomb Olleung (온릉,溫陵). Her memorial tablet is enshrine in Jongmyo (Royal Shrine,종묘,宗廟) in 1739. 

Later in 20th February 1799, 23rd year of Jeongjo, reiterate Queen Dangyeong investiture as Immortal Queen (Seong Hu,성후,聖后) by commemorating her 300 years wedding ceremony & marriage to Jungjong by honouring her with the investiture title of 溫陵聖后 (온릉성후)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/07/2017 at 11:05 PM, liddi said:

Meanwhile, has Saimdang started its broadcast in the Philippines?

Not yet; not sure when SLD will be broadcast by GMA 7.

GMA7 bought a lot of Korean dramas for 2017, with only about 3 being historical dramas (Scarlet Heart, Mirror of the Witch, and SLD). "Scarlet Heart" was shown more than a month or two ago, and "Mirror of the Witch" is currently being broadcast.

Several years ago, GMA7 re-broadcast "A Jewel in the Palace" (for the 3rd time) after "My Love from the Star" became a hit here in the Philippines. GMA7 is currently broadcasting a Filipino remake of "My Love from the Star" and so I'm thinking that maybe GMA 7 will broadcast SLD after this local remake or "Mirror of the Witch" have finished airing.

On 25/07/2017 at 1:37 AM, mabelialong said:

actually i'm not watching this drama fully just yet,,,, it just that it's easy to find beautiful pic of this drama that's why i made the calendar.

1. So you can better appreciate SLD, please read my spoiler-free synopsis by episode:

SBS version synopsis at https://campusconnection.blogspot.com/2017/01/saimdang-lights-diary-synopsis-by-episode.html

International version synopsis at https://betterenglish-rx.blogspot.com/2017/05/saimdang-lights-diary-synopsis-plain-english.html

2. I'd like to place in my synopsis links to your SLD calendars; besides this page, where else can we find your calendars?

We now go into the next part, which opens with Chapter 20, one that is fully dedicated to the modern timeline. Most of the scenes do not deviate much from the drama at all, apart from the sequence, though certain dialogues are attributed to different people. 

Novel Vol 2: Part 5 Fallen
Chapter 20

1. Rumours of the Mt. Geumgang painting being possibly a fake threw Prof. Min into an extremely difficult situation. All the networking in the art world that he had painstakingly drawn in, have abandoned him. Even Sun Gallery's director too has pushed the blame to him. As such, attacked on all sides as he was, he was hopeful when he received word that Chairman Heo wanted to see him. 

2. The moment he stepped into the room, he was unable to avoid the golf ball that flew directly at him, and caught it in his stomach.
"You rascal, using a fake Mt. Geumgang painting to con so many people!" Chairman Heo waved his golf club at Prof. Min.
"What are you saying? Let's talk this over, there must be some misunderstanding..." Prof. Min retreated, clutching his stomach as he did so.
"You better choose the right side! Sit down!" Chairman Heo glared at him for a while before roughly throwing aside the golf club and settling into the sofa. Like a dog with the tail between its legs, Prof. Min too sat down at the edge of the couch.
"If you continue to put your hopes in that empty shell of a Sun Gallery, you would only choke on its bones! Did that woman promise you the position of Chief of Staff? What a joke! Just on her authority? She should remember how she got to where she is, on the back of whose influence." Chairman Heo gulped down a mouthful of water and spat out the words.
"May I know the reason you wanted to see me?" Prof. Min mustered up the courage to ask.

3. Chairman Heo instructed him to continue with the scheme of writing appraisal reports passing fake paintings as genuine, which he would then use as collateral for loans. Prof. Min was bewildered that such unscrupulous people could exist even in this day and age, but even if he wanted to pull out, it was already too late. After the meeting, he received a call.
"I heard that you have been to see my husband, am I right? I have received enough complaints regarding your misdeeds to compile into a book. Do you think you would be able to gain more by standing on the side of the chairman?" Director Sun's piercing words reveberated in the car.
"Director, that's not the case..." Prof. Min stepped on the brakes forcibly and replied in a fearful tone.
"I am leaving for Shanghai now. We'll talk when I get back!" Director Sun's cold, distant tone stopped him from saying anything further, before she hung up.
"What an impossibly difficult woman! Divorcing or not, both husband and wife are exactly the same!" Furious, Prof. Min almost threw his phone out the window just to see it shatter.

4. UV cameras, various digital imaging microscopes, dehumidifers etc that were totally unrelated to club activities were stuffed into the store room. Without realising it, this place was now dedicated to the restoration of Saimdang's memoirs, as well as SJY, HSH and GHJ's secret hideout. They normally avoided the club on Friday and Saturday nights, when it was teeming with people, and only met in the daytime or mornings, to continue with the restoration and translation of Saimdang's memoirs.
In view of this, their meeting on Friday night was out of the norm, and only because of the Portrait of a Beauty, since SJY was concerned that Prof. Min would barge into her house again. As such, she decided she could no longer keep it in her closet, and contacted GHJ and HSH to discuss how to handle it.
"What is this? This painting must be at least several hundred years old! Who painted it? Why does the woman in the painting resemble Jiyoon sunbae so much?" HSH stared at the painting, openmouthed in disbelief.
"It was discovered along with the Soojinbang Diary in the ancient manor in Italy," SJY provided a simple explanation.
"Could the woman in the painting be Saimdang? If it really is Saimdang, just this painting alone would be a national treasure among national treasures. It incorporates Western elements in terms of brushstroke and the visual representation of the subject... yet uses Eastern materials and brocade. It is an ingenious combination of Western and Eastern techniques! If this painting was revealed, it would certainly attract the attention of the entire world." HSH rattled on, unable to contain his excitement.
"Please slow down! There is something far more important than that. Look, a part here has fallen off. There must be something hidden inside." SJY carefully held up the painting for a look.
"The first time I saw it, I already felt the mounting was too thick." GHJ shone the UV camera on each part of the painting carefully while SJY and HSH held their breaths in nervous anticipation, the whole place settling into silence.
"There really is something in there!" GHJ suddenly broke the silence and cried out.
"The Mt. Geumgang painting."
"Ah?"
"What?" HSH and GHJ cried out simultaneously.
"Mt Geumgang painting! It must be An Gyeom's Mt. Geumgang painting hidden within." Driven by an undeniable premonition, SJY spoke up firmly, while not quite able to believe why she would say such a thing.
"Quick, let's remove it and see!" HSH's eyes were bright, like a curious child.

5. There was no age limit in the club to prevent Prof. Min and his assistants from entering the club. When he showed up outside the store room, since GHJ required time to reinforce the mounting before the painting could be moved, SJY and HSH decided to buy her the time she needed by waylaying Prof. Min.

6. Once the Mt. Geumgang and Portrait of a Beauty paintings were conserved, they were temporarily stored in a safe deposit box at the bank.
"What next?" GHJ asked as they left the bank.
"Of course we must reveal it all quickly, strike before Prof. Min and Sun Gallery starts their slander campaign." HSH stretched unconsciously, having not slept the entire night.
"Is that even possible? Prof. Min and Sun Gallery are the ones with power. If we do not plan carefully, all may be lost!"
GHJ's words were not without reason. They could stoop to unscrupulous measures to ensure that the real painting never saw the light of day, for its reveal would invariably mean the end of their plans. However, what if they would gain more than they lost? If that were the case, they would surely not hesitate to throw away what was in their hands and focus on the real painting instead.
"I have a plan," SJY spoke up in a clear voice.
"A plan?"
"What plan?" GHJ and HSH immediately came to her side.
"We must find a way for the real painting to be revealed to the world." SJY stopped and turned to face them.
"As Sang Hyun said, we must face them head on. Both of you try to find out about RADE. To have been able to infuriate Prof. Min in that way, RADE obviously also has his eyes on the Mt. Geumgang painting. Meanwhile, I will approach the director of Sun Gallery." HSH and GHJ stared shocked at her words.
"Surely you can't mean that Director Sun is the person who will reveal the real painting to the world?" SJY nodded.

7. A slight difference in who said what in SJY and Prof. Min's dialogue, where it is Prof. Min, not SJY who declared that he had nothing more to lose:
"Who can tell who has the better cards in the end."
"Seo Jiyoon, you do not know what cards I hold in my hand. Do you know who the scariest person in the world is?"
"..."
"It is someone who has nothing more to lose! That is exactly who I am now. Are you sure you will not regret this?"
"Never."
"Very well. Let us say who has the last laugh!" Prof. Min shot SJY a long hard stare before he got up and left.
SJY sat unmoving, her eyes fixed on Prof. Min until he disappeared from her line of sight, her resolution unshaken despite his words.

@liddi   @gerrytan8063   @saimdang

SLD will be aired by GMA7 (Philippines) starting August 14 as "Saimdang, Soulmates Across Time".

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMA_The_Heart_of_Asia

"Saimdang, Soulmates Across Time" poster for GMA7 at https://www.facebook.com/OfficialGMAHOA/photos/a.1628706174077795.1073741828.1622841921330887/1904455309836212/?type=3

Another link:

https://m.facebook.com/gmaheartofasia/photos/a.763615407004158.1073741828.763211483711217/1623077037724653/?type=3&source=54

Please do join the conversations on GMA7's "Saimdang" Facebook page. Most of the comments are in Filipino (with a little bit of comments in English). but you can use Facebook"s "See Translation" button or even Google Translate. And if you have questions about the English translation of the comments, post them here, and I will translate them for you.

0caPNP1.jpg

@liddi

I got the date wrong; SLD will be shown on GMA7 next week August 9 and not August 14.

"Ji-yoon" will be renamed as "Jillian." Not sure how GMA7 will rename "Lee Gyeom."

Here are the links to GMA7's promotional videos for SLD on Facebook:

Saimdang: Launch Plug
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialGMAHOA/videos/1921962498085493/

SLD Teaser 1
https://www.facebook.com/SaimdangSoulmatesAcrossTimeGMA/videos/131902447413690/

Saimdang Teaser 2
https://www.facebook.com/SaimdangSoulmatesAcrossTimeGMA/videos/133142283956373/

Saimdang Teaser 3
https://www.facebook.com/SaimdangSoulmatesAcrossTimeGMA/videos/133677713902830/

@liddi

GMA7 bought the rights to SLD late 2016, so most probably, it will be showing the international version.

From the online comments, Filipinos are looking forward to the drama. LYA and DJG are enormously popular here in the Philippines.

I'm just worried that people won't understand about the situation involving Saimdang, Lee Won-su, and the concubine; why Saimdang asked Lee Won-su not to divorce her, why the concubine is living in the same compound as Saimdang and her children. GMA7 itself might have misinterpreted the situation as it translated the drama into Filipino ...

Didn't gerrytan8063 discuss in earlier comments as to the reason why a concubine lived in the same compound as the legal wife? Would you remember what page of this forum?

Notes on GMA7’s broadcast of “Saimdang, Soulmates Across Time” on Wednesday, August 9

1. Ji-yoon has been renamed as “Jillian,” while Han Sang-hyun has been renamed as “Zanjo.”

2. The August 9 broadcast ends with Jillian getting kicked out of the hotel and ending up on the bridge being teased by some Italian men.

3. If you want to watch the Filipino-dubbed drama, search Google for Saimdang Pinoy Tambayan or Saimdang Pinoy Daily Shows.

Y94aDO0.jpg

@plainenglish Thank you for sharing GMA's broadcast of Saimdang! I had a quick look and you're right - additional scenes from the international version are there. Seeing how Ep1 ends differently from both the international and SBS versions, I did a very quick calculation... it's roughly 45 mins per episode, so looks like apart from the dub, it is also going to differ in number of episodes as well... probably making it a 40-episode drama? Either way, so good to see it broadcast once more. How are the ratings for Ep1? Hoping that it will be very well received.

This is what I could find of gerrytan8063's explanation regarding the living arrangements of the primary wife and concubine... hope this is what you are looking for.

(1) I posted tweets in hashtag #Saimdang about this forum. I said for English translations of SLD novel, look for liddi’s posts. For historical, cultural backgrounders, look for gerrytan8063’s posts. My tweet has been retweeted several times already. GMA7"s broadcast of SLD is very popular among Twitter users.

Let’s hope this forum becomes active again, with Filipino fans joining in.

(2) Notes on GMA7’s broadcast of “Saimdang, Soulmates Across Time” on Thursday, August 10.

1. Episode begins with Jillian getting nearly run over by a bicyclist in an alley and the bookseller giving her some books.

2. Episode ends with Saimdang climbing over the wall and meeting Lee Gyeom.

There are several marked differences in the next chapter compared to the drama, particularly the additional interpretation of the riddle on the painting, and the events before and after, including how Grandpa Pal Bong met his fate. We also learn of Jungjong's ulterior motive behind his instructions to Gyeom to investigate the corruption in the paper industry, and here we see how he had to weigh and discard his original plan in the face of a more urgent problem.

Novel Vol 2: Part 5 Fallen
Chapter 21

1. The courtyard in Saimdang's house was covered with snow. Seon, Mae Chang, Hyun Ryong and Woo were happily rolling huge snowballs to make a snowman, white mists escaping their mouths with each breath. Woo cried out in amazement and clapped his frozen hands in glee as he watched his siblings building the snowman. Just then, the sound of the gate being pushed open was heard, and YWS called out to his children as he walked in.
"Look at this. It's a letter of appointment! I, your father, am finally employed by the government!" YWS declared proudly and shoved the appointment letter to the hands of his children as they swarmed to him like bees.
The children looked at the letter, then at their father's face, their eyes wide open in astonishment. To be honest, even YWS himself could hardly believe that he had been appointed as a seventh rank official of the Bureau of Interpreters, nor could he figure out where this gift from heaven came from. Perhaps it was as the messenger said, he must have had very strong backing. Whatever it was, it meant that he could now be the head of the household with his head held high, without having to study for the frustrating examinations. Wasn't that perfect?
"If you had been appointed earlier, the rascals in the Central District School wouldn't have been so arrogant!" Hyun Ryong flexed his fists in regret to which YWS caressed his son's head comfortingly.
Walking into the room, YWS saw that the entire place was tidy and clean without a speck of dust, just like Saimdang who always seemed to be untouched by any situation. At the thought of his wife, YWS' heart warmed, and his wife's clear, unblemished skin appeared in his mind's eyes. Sitting on the warmed kang, he waited impatiently for Saimdang to return.
The moment she returned from the paper mill, YWS hurriedly showed her the letter of appointment, then grasping her smooth hands, drew her into his arms. Saimdang pulled her hands away and looked at the letter, but said nothing.
"It has been very hard on you supporting my studies during this time! I finally can rightfully sleep in my own bedroom. What is wrong? Are you too overcome with joy that you couldn't say anything?"
How could she not be happy, now that her husband finally had a promising future? Thus YWS explained away his wife's silence.

2. Saimdang got up and walked out, leaving her sullen husband behind. At a loss, YWS stared at his wife's retreating back, feeling unbearably alone and bereft of strength.
At the corridor, Saimdang stood there in a daze, embarrassment clearly written over her face. Her sense of apology and shame towards her husband warred with her guilt towards Yi Gyeom, wrecking havoc within her. She understood that everything that happened to her was not a coincidence - the deadline for the drifters' tax repayment had been extended to after the Goryeo paper competition; the presence of the royal guards, patrolling around the wasteland day and night; her husband's sudden breakthrough... all these undoubtedly were Gyeom's work. Although she had no way to prove it, of this she was absolutely certain.
In the late of night, she rolled up her sleeves and upon determining that the fire of the stove was right, filled the iron pot to the brim with clean water. As the water came to a boil, she added miso and dried cabbage leaves, making her husband's favourite dried vegetable miso soup. She mixed the dried radish leaves evenly with sauce, and carefully filled  summer radishes into a bowl. Her mindful preparation ensured that her husband and children wanted for nothing in terms of their meals during her absence, at the same time making some rice balls for her and Grandpa Pal Bong during their trip to Woonpyeongsa. Once that was done, she went back into the house and sewed her husband's official garment. As she worked, her mixed emotions gave way to peace, and before she knew it, it was dawn.

3. During the interrogation, Gyeom confronted MCH with the previous Ming envoy's confession to accepting bribes from him, to which the latter laughed, asking if it was wrong for him to use his own assets to the benefit of the country.
"Over these past twenty years, Jangwon paper distributorship provided the paper given as tribute to Ming of which you are the owner, while your wife was the manager. These are facts. Did you think I am unaware of this?"
"This is the first I have heard of it. If it is true, then show me the proof! Do you think these unsubstantiated claims can be passed off as the truth?"
"The time for your self-righteous, cocky attitude is coming to an end, just wait and see! This table will be stacked up as high as a mountain with proofs!" Gyeom shot daggers at MCH, then got up and left.
MCH continued to stand there arrogantly, with no sign of guilt or regret. In this clash of wills, only the one who remained unbending the longest would prevail. In addition to the three State Councillors, there was no one in the entire court who had never accepted bribes from him, so if he went down, they would fall too. They all understood this, so if they wanted to protect themselves, they must save MCH. This was not something that Gyeom could accomplish on his own, even if he had Jungjong backing him, the king being merely a puppet after all. MCH broke into a cold laugh which reverberated within the four walls of the interrogation room.

4. However, contrary to what MCH thought, the councillors had decided to make a clean cut from him in order to save themselves, and pushed relentlessly for his conviction and execution. Each time he thought of the humiliation of having his good-for-nothing son used as a hostage, PM Yoon was determined not to let the opportunity of punishing MCH slide.
The petitions poured in from all over the country. Those who received bribes from MCH spoke up asking for his execution ostentatiously to appease the people, at the same time, destroying evidence of their corruption. There was no better solution apart from getting rid of MCH. Besides, who would believe the words of a man on death row? MCH's death was key to covering up everyone's fears and doubts. PM Yoon shot the Left and Right Councillors a cunning smile.
Jungjong was silent for some time. His original intention was to use the corruption in the paper industry as an excuse to eliminate the ministers whose immense power had weakened the king's authority. No matter how long it took, continued interrogation of MCH would ultimately ensure that he coughed out all the corrupt deeds of the ministers. However, at this point in time, what was paramount was working together with the entire court to resolve the issue of the Goryeo paper. As he weighed all the options, Jungjong finally decided to support PM Yoon's bid to extricate himself from MCH.

5. It took Saimdang and Grandpa Pal Bong four days to travel from Hanyang to Woonpyeongsa. The desolate place was covered with snow, without even a footprint in sight. As Saimdang looked out into the white expanse, it was like a white sheet of paper, the snow waiting to be painted by the thick ink of memories. Her memories slowly came to life - the Goddess of Mercy Hall at Woonpyeongsa; the beautiful lattices on its windows like fresh flowers basking in the warmth of the sun; the bright smiles of the monks in the Main Hall as they went on their activities; the clear spring water of the well. In her mind, she saw her younger self climb up and drink from the well, smile radiantly at the monks and put her hands together in greeting, then run towards the sunlit Goddess of Mercy Hall and committing the spectacular sight down on paper. Her younger self then suddenly lifted her head and looked towards herself, then waved affectionately at her. What kind of hallucination was this?
"Where is the road ahead of us? Everything has changed!" Grandpa Pal Bong's voice drew Saimdang back to reality, and the vivid scenes earlier all melted away.

6. Failing to find anything at the Goddess of Mercy Hall, Saimdang suggested making a sample paper using the water from Woonpyeongsa, hoping that that would be the key. Grandpa Pal Bong recalled a well in front of the Main Hall, and so they went in search of it. However, the place was now overrun with weeds and the thick snow made the search a difficult one. As the night fell, Grandpa Pal Bong and Saimdang suddenly felt a dark shadow pass by. Unable to tell whether it was an animal or a person, Saimdang could not shake off her sense of unease and turned her head towards the sound. Just then, a pair of hands shot out from behind the withered trees and grasped their shoulders. In shock, Grandpa Pal Bong fell to the ground while Saimdang screamed in fear.
"Shh!" It was a hollow-cheeked old ginseng digger.
He pointed a bony hand towards a particular direction. Saimdang and Grandpa Pal Bong followed his gaze and saw shadowy figures on the mountain path moving to and fro as if searching for something. A more careful look revealed that it was Hwieumdang and her men.
"It's them, what should we do?" Recognising Hwieumdang, Saimdang held her hand to her mouth to stop herself from crying out.
"Who are they?" Seeing Saimdang's expression, Grandpa Pal Bong asked worriedly.
"They are from Jangwon Paper Store."
"They have been following you all this while. Come this way!" Avoiding the other party's detection, the old man took them down a different path, Saimdang and Grandpa Pal Bong stooping low and following behind. 

7. Saimdang and Grandpa Pal Bong were shocked to see the Water Moon Avalokitesvara painting in the old man's possession. Sighing, the old man finally told them all that happened. The night before the massacre, the nobles and gisaengs had a decadent feast in front of the Main Hall. The abbott hurried to the old man's house and requested that he kept the painting safe before returning quickly to the temple. By the dawn of the next morning, all the drifters and monks of Woonpyeongsa were killed. From that day on, the old man concealed the painting inside the wardrobe, and hid his existence from the world, waiting the next ten, twenty years for the owner of the painting to appear. 

8. Saimdang stared at the painting with a tragic expression. As her eyes fell on the benevolent smile of the Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, her tears began to fall, and she recalled all the events that led to this moment, turning the pages on each one in her mind. Wiping her tears dry, she held up the painting, then realised that there was a blurred inscription at the back.

暮空二螢火  Two fireflies in the twilight sky
明月下流水  Flowing water under the bright moon
晚秋林未疎  The forest is not sparse in late autumn
人以即萬金  Man is worth ten thousand pieces of gold
來日歸白土  Return to the white soil in the days to come

Her finger touched each word of the inscription as Saimdang recited them over and over. Grandpa Pal Bong who was quietly listening at the side, finally asked her for the meaning of the poem.
"Two fireflies in the darkening twilight sky,
Water flows under the bright moon,
Despite the lateness of autumn, the trees are not sparse,
Although man is worth ten thousand pieces of gold,
They will still return to the white soil one day." 
Saimdang elaborated.
"Did it mention white-coloured soil?" Grandpa Pal Bong asked in surprise.
"White soil... white-coloured soil."
"Yes! White-coloured soil! There is a spring at the peak of the mountain towards the south of Woonpyeongsa. The soil surrounding it is fine and powdery, especially unusual and clean."
"Really?"
"Yes, it's true!"
"Although there is no way to confirm just based on the words 'white soil', however it surely is connected to that spring!"
"In which case, let us go and take a look when day breaks! There is nothing to lose even if it is a failure."
"Let's do it!" However, despite her words, Saimdang could not help but worry that they might bump into Hwieumdang's men. The discovery of the Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara painting might have brought them joy and their final hope of unlocking the secret of creating Goryeo paper, but her mind remained in turmoil at the thought of Hwieumdang's presence.

9. Early next morning, Saimdang and Grandpa Pal Bong walked along the dimly lit path amid the falling snow, the dense trees blocking out even a ray of sunlight.
"Are you sure... this is the place?" Saimdang wiped the sweat off her brow and looked around.
"This place looks extremely familiar! It is definitely nearby!" Grandpa Pal Bong nodded his head.
"Wait... what is this?"
"That is a stone lamp." Grandpa Pal Bong walked past the area overgrown with weeds and dead branches, towards an old weather-beaten stone lamp.
"'Two fireflies in the twilight sky.' The poem speaks of two fireflies in the darkening twilight sky... two fireflies! That means there must be another stone lamp!" 
Upon hearing Saimdang's words, Grandpa Pal Bong rushed around in search, and lo and behold, found the second stone lamp.
"It's here, my lady!"
"The white soil you mentioned must be nearby!"
"Yes, the soil by the spring is especially white. Let me look for it!" Grandpa Pal Bong began searching carefully and Saimdang's eyes brightened.
"Here, it's here!" Grandpa Pal Bong's voice cut through the forest and Saimdang quickly ran over to a small well built from small pebbles.
"It's already dry." Saimdang looked at the long-dried well in disappointment.
"The white soil is definitely here!" Grandpa Pal Bong shook his head, puzzled.
"'Two fireflies in the twilight sky.'... the two stone lamps are also here..."
"Since I am not absolutely certain, let me find if there are other springs nearby."
"Alright..."
As Grandpa Pal Bong went off in search, Saimdang unrolled the painting and once again mulled over it. The actual meaning of the poem remained elusive, seemingly clear and yet not.
"My lady!" Grandpa Pal Bong's piercing cry suddenly broke out, echoing throughout the mountainside. Grabbing the painting in her hand, Saimdang jumped up. Even though Grandpa Pal Bong was a man, he was already old and she should not have let him go off alone. She ran through the trees and thickets, breathing heavily with each breath, her heart racing in fear and dread. Footsteps tailed her from behind, from the sound of it, it was more than one or two people, most probably the men she saw with Hwieumdang. Saimdang ran frantically without stopping until her dress entangled at her feet and she fell, her shoes caught by the uneven tree roots.

10. She had reached a dead end. At her feet, the pebbles scattered and dropped off the steep cliff. Saimdang held the painting close and stood at the edge of the cliff, staring down in despair at the seemingly bottomless pit, with no more room for retreat.
"This is the end for you!" Hwieumdang's clear voice reached Saimdang's ears and she slowly lifted her head to stare at her with chills down her spine. Behind Hwieumdang, she could see Grandpa Pal Bong in the clutches of the men, badly beaten up and bloodied.
"Let him go! This has nothing to do with this old man." Besieged on all sides, Saimdang resorted to pleas.
"Hand over the painting and I might consider it." From Man Deuk's intel, Hwieumdang had long guessed that the painting held the secret to Woonpyeongsa's Goryeo paper. Now seeing how Saimdang clung to it, she spoke up without hesitation.
She must possess the painting, regardless of the means. Even if it meant spilling blood to do so, she must have the secret to creating Goryeo paper. In the face of her husband facing execution due to the Goryeo paper issue, Hwieumdang seemed to have lost all sense of reason. Upon a look of her eye, the man behind Grandpa Pal Bong held a sword to his neck.
"I will give this to you... let him go!" Saimdang begged piteously.
"My lady, you mustn't!" Grandpa Pal Bong cried out in despair.
"Let him go! What could be more important than a person's life!" Saimdang interjected, urgency lining her words.
"Put down the painting," Hwieumdang barked out harshly.
Desperate to save Grandpa Pal Bong, Saimdang made a move towards Hwieumdang, trembling as she did so. Who would have thought that right at that moment, Grandpa Pal Bong slashed his neck against the sword, and jumped off the cliff.
"No!" Saimdang's cry cut through the air. At the shocking turn of events, even Hwieumdang and her men too stopped at their tracks. Her face drained of blood, Saimdang shot Hwieumdang a murderous glare. Unperturbed, the latter and her men continued to advance, to which Saimdang slowly retreated. The painting which Grandpa Pal Bong protected with his own life, must not be allowed to fall into the hands of another, and thus, Saimdang held it even closer.
"Put it down!" Hwieumdang laughed mockingly at Saimdang who had been cornered to the edge of the cliff.
"No! Never!"
"Do you want to die the same way as the old man?"
"Now it no longer matters if I handed it over or not. You would still kill me, wouldn't you?"
"If you got down on your knees and begged for your life, perhaps I would let you live... However you are digging your own grave. Since you wish to die so badly, I would end it for you. Goodbye!" The moment the words left her mouth, her men brandished their swords towards her.
Resigned, Saimdang closed her eyes. Just then, a sword flashed furiously across and engaged the men in battle. It was Yi Gyeom. With precise skill, he disposed of the men. At the sound of the clashing swords, Saimdang's eyes flew open and welled up in tears to see Gyeom forcing the men to retreat. Suddenly, she felt the cold blade of a knife against her throat.

11. "You should never have smiled at me from the start! You should not have praised me for learning to read despite my difficult situation, nor given me the brush with your name on it, when you would turn around and abandon me, bloodied, in the woods, only saving that woman! Did it not matter if the daughter of a tavern owner was eaten up by wild beasts? Is that it?" Hwieumdang's voice was shrill as she recollected the painful memories. However, none of her words registered on Saimdang who was trembling uncontrollably, nor Gyeom, who was desperate to save her.

12. "Grab my hand!" Gyeom tried his best to stretch out his hand, which Saimdang held on to with all her might while trying to find her footing within the cracks of the rocks. Still, the pebbles continued to slide down, and in her effort to avoid the falling stones, Hwieumdang cried out, to which Saimdang slid down to reach out and catch her hand. Sharp jagged rocks loomed directly beneath them, and they were both running out of strength. 
"Saimdang! Let go of her hand!" Gyeom gritted out through his teeth.
"No!" Hwieumdang cried out in terror.
"I won't!" Saimdang responded resolutely,
"Saimdang! If this continues, both of you will die!" Gyeom cried out desperately,
Saimdang clamped down her teeth and held Hwieumdang's hand in a death grip, determined not to let go. At the very last moment, when they thought they would surely die, Gyeom gathered the last of his strength and pulled Saimdang back on to the cliff. The adrenaline rush from her determination to save Hwieumdang somehow gave her the strength to also pull the woman up.
"Are you alright?" Having caught his breath, Gyeom hugged Saimdang, to which she could only nod her head, dazed.
He then walked over to Hwieumdang who was gasping for breath and delivered a sharp slap across her face. In fury, she glared back at him. Just as he was about to strike her once more, Saimdang caught hold of his hand.
"You..." Saimdang called out to Hwieumdang.
"Now I... I no longer owe you anything."
At her words, Hwieumdang's eyes filled with tears.
"Haha..." She suddenly burst into wild laughter, tears rolling down her face.
Gyeom threw a glance at Hwieumdang who had taken leave of her senses. Then his arm around Saimdang, they turned and left, with her staring at their retreating figures, grief like a knife plunged into her heart.

@gerrytan8063 You're welcome. Progress is markedly slower, but I'm getting there. 9 more chapters left. No mention of Concubine Nam so far, which makes me wonder how MCH would escape execution, unless she makes an appearance in the next chapter. We'll see. It is quite a novelty, reading a story that I already am so well acquainted with, yet finding new gems and seeing a sometimes alternate universe. Truly would be interesting to see how she wraps up the story here. 

While not an exact representation of Chapter 21, the Ep18 international preview is close enough in terms of what was covered. I miss them... sigh... 

@liddi

"It is quite a novelty, reading a story that I already am so well acquainted with, yet finding new gems and seeing a sometimes alternate universe. Truly would be interesting to see how she wraps up the story here. "

It is always better reading the book than the screen depiction, just look when you read Lord of the Rings & the movie is miles off

Notes on GMA7 (Philippines) broadcast of “Saimdang, Soulmates Across Time” on Monday, August 14:

1. Episode begins with Saimdang meeting Lee Gyeom, with Lee Gyeom teasing her about her skirt.

2. Jillian and her husband meet an accident, and Jillian flashes back to Joseon times as Saimdang.

3. Episode ends with Saimdang’s mother telling the servant not to tell Saimdang that Lee Gyeom is back in town.

4. In that scene of Ep. 2 SBS version where Saimdang tells her father that it’s unfair for a girl like her not to be allowed to climb Mount Geumgang, GMA7 wrongly translates/dubs the dialogue.

In GMA7’s translation, Saimdang tells her father that it’s unfair that she cannot see An Gyeon’s painting. This translation is so different from the English subs of Ep. 2 (SBS).

We know that climbing Mount Geumgang is Saimdang’s lifelong dream, and in Ep. 24 (SBS) she does climb the mountain, with Lee Gyeom following her there. But GMA7's translation doesn't mention anything about Saimdag  wanting to climb the mountain.

In short, GMA7’s translation/dubbing sucks! My fear now is that GMA7 will dumb down this drama.

CYHFX31.jpg

@plainenglish Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns regarding the translations. It is unfortunate if Saimdang's dream to go to Mt. Geumgang is omitted here. There is an upcoming scene with young Gyeom where she verbalises that wish, and he promises to be the one to take her, which should be in the next episode, so there is still hope it will be correctly translated.

I did a very quick glance through the episode, and noticed some scenes in the international version which were not included here e.g. Saimdang grumbling when her father summoned her to see the painting; and also Gyeom painting the thigh of the gisaeng, just before Hoo called out for him. Can you please share if you see extra scenes that were not seen in either the SBS or international version? Still can't get enough of what we have been given.

Rewatching the scene when SJY goes back to the past briefly and meets Gyeom on the street, and my heart still aches immeasurably at the utter despair and longing in his eyes, seeing once more the woman he could never forget... who proceeds to walk past him as if she never knew him.

qPNxdqB09EbIk09LdPQuYEs7THt0-QMkRfysObUVeKLyL8x3pNrYfIgj-ejs1ySTwBEQ8Fy9dYTufGyv-1miswu7YAXKj_XcWE3vKPznzknQddCSlr7vbF112jCKzRcBxlBNXxNEAhwg9HPh85BvkKPyP5Nb5Lv-K1kZAWf1v4mKiX85Rtlb5Z5mRtK02RDbhvPZ5DsEnX6mx8uwJJ0IqzFQ325noYeoxRGMmyzb9Zf-PEBp69kxGwnoth4Ui9hvQk-3Zs64G-XcAHSQQuwrZ_uCXKGlCmSUyI-7oI2PnaJLNN8nML3xM59vmmbLzU508H82wXXejqsHYg6VmrOBZrdVCLUtteXLDptrZLaQZfES7-lO6_Fle8vOFYElSysYx375nOd_lveUV9juy1UDYG9i57qtZF-2ALGHU2n3-KcUQlr969jNCzhVDYfHRJ47UZxEwLttSGCH11z_KFnYKKqA_OjG44eY_mMuiwHOxvf7q3NOtdiJQ03jrjBfYqz37DUh0QbAFkLvF_zb_7Sa5msB95oHU8J-jmxL87zBocEnyz-HBd0R5YFU_qhgDjQArpErBV_Q7rl0t-3Q1BgJxXxumfpia6ZqnAKpHfuGFiumrYrXz63HCGZXZYvEwXGVgXAr7_ADWV6iumwp94Oob6TkXjYCVDi1op5UhsFClVVv=w1280-h720-no

@plainenglish @liddi

"In short, GMA7’s translation/dubbing sucks! My fear now is that GMA7 will dumb down this drama."

Please do us the favour to find out what GMA7's translation of our fame Dianthus Chinensis flower in Tagalog

As we took a random sample of the word Dianthus Chinenses (Pae Raeng-i,패랭이) translated in various languages 

GTV Taiwan "草帽花"

Oh!K English sub as Fringed Pink

Oh!K Malay sub as bunga teluki...while the dubbed is bunga kumai

Hanmi Chinese sub as "普格尔"

TSKS Chinese sub "石竹花"

HK-TVB Cantonese dub & sub is "石竹花"

Drama fever is Dianthus flower

Indonesia sub is Bunga Dianthus

KNTV Japanese sub is セキチク (石竹, Sekichiku)

Hungarian sub  "kínai szegfűs karkötő"  (kínai= Chinese; szegfű= Dianthus - translate as Dianthus Chinensis flower)

GMA7 ?

Just to share once again, the song Nostalgic Geumgangsan  - 그리운 금강산

It is my bucket list to climb Geumgangsan mountain but then when will the North Korea tension will ever cease for a hike

@gerrytan8063 LOL! You took the words right out of my mouth - that was exactly what I was thinking of too. Our iconic Dianthus Chinensis is the best gauge as to the reliability of the translation :D It's a shame that the scene during SMH's lesson when they recited Jeong Seung Mung's poem "Dianthus Chinensis" was not included in the GMA7 broadcast, else we would have found out by now. Either way, hope you'll enlighten us soon @plainenglish :) 

Archived