[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

@plainenglish

"I began researching "azaleas" and found out that that they're poisonous(?). "

I personally have eaten Korean Azaleas Flowers (진달래꽃 jindalae kkot, rhododendron mucronulatum) pancakes known as Hwajeon (화전,花煎) & survive without any side effect. South Korean must believe that it is an edible flower & non-poisonous since pan-fry the pancakes, it does go through some heat treatment

26056009872_70eff0d710.jpg

Hwajeon with Azaleas flower & Omija Hwachae punch 

Actually, there is even a Korean song – 진달래 먹고 물장구 치고 다람쥐 쫓던 어린시절..it basically says – my childhood days when we used to eat jindalae flowers, splash in the stream and chase after squirrels.......

The other edible flower is the Pear Blossom (배꽃 bae kkot)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@gerrytan8063 I don't see that this year Gerry, but any material that you post that resonates with me i copy and save.  As you can see i am not weaned off this thread yet lollllll :heart: and i like reading @liddi book  texts  , almost like additional sustenance and to be with  LG and SS even more (like 2 months of my life was not enough lollllll) 

@saimdang I'm glad you're enjoying the descriptions from the novel :) Here is the next chapter... the sequence is different from the drama in some scenes, like Gyeom and Saimdang sharing a kiss even before they added their love poem to the Mt. Geumgang painting.

Novel Vol 1: Part 1 Discovery

Chapter 5

1. King Jungjong lived in loneliness within the palace, without any outlet to relax. Although he loved the arts, he always refrained from indulging in it too much, for fear that the same fate that befell Yeonsangun will also happen to him. 

2. It was not known whether Gyeom's aunt knew of the king's feeling of oppression, but one day he received a letter from her along with an amusing painting by Gyeom, that said "A painting done by a royal descendant, for the viewing pleasure of a royal descendant. With such facts, how could there be any malicious rumours, comparing them with Yeonsangun's atrocities."

3. Although Gyeom's aunt would always retort that their clan would never be associated with such a vulgar artist, in actuality, she was the first to notice, appreciate and treasure Gyeom's incredible talent as an artist. From a vagabond child, to being restored to his royal status and being well-loved by many, her love and care for Gyeom was no different from her own child, and she planned for his future like he were her own. Similarly, for the man who was buried inside the palace in loneliness, bereft of warmth, she hoped to give him a breath of fresh air.

4. The days that Gyeom spent painting with Saimdang, had seen his own talents greatly improve. This reached the ears of King Jungjong, and he was summoned to the palace to stay for a while. While reluctant to leave Saimdang, he had to obey. Here, the book describes the scene when he painted for the king in front of the courtiers for the first time, which is different from the drama that had him being summoned when he was 15. King Jungjong was curious to see how talented Gyeom was, after being widely praised by his aunt. 

5. The painting he drew for King Jungjong was of a vibrant yellow dragon. Although the king was captivated, he kept a neutral expression until the painting was completed. He then asked Gyeom why he drew a yellow dragon, since it symbolised the Ming emperor. Gyeom replied that although he drew a yellow dragon, it was not a yellow dragon. He explained that the yellow dragon was symbolic of Earth in the Five Elements, stretch (?) in the five characteristics, the exact center of the five directions, the root of all things. As such, the yellow dragon was not of the Ming emperor, but was the symbol of the king who was the center of Joseon, the root of the people. 

6. King Jungjong coldly said that after hearing about his talents, he was certainly talented in his responses, but Gyeom remained calm, which King Jungjong noted with great interest. Just then, he saw something hidden in Gyeom's sleeve, and demanded to see it. One was a picture of a young beggar and a small dog sharing food, while another was of them, spread out and having an afternoon nap after having eaten their fill. The king then realised that just as Gyeom's aunt mentioned, Gyeom was able to draw such works, and the innocence and warmth of the drawings moved and comforted him exceedingly. From the warmth and sincerity of the works, King Jungjong began to admire the young man. Just then, the sound of Gyeom's growling stomach and his artless, honest reply broke the ice. Finally the king set aside all wariness towards Gyeom and took great pleasure in his company, his lack of artifice, and his talents.

7. Shin Myeong Hwa was reluctant to accept Gyeom as his son-in-law, not because he was dissatisfied with him personally but because of his royal background. The act of being linked by marriage to the king, was to gamble with the lives of his entire family. After the Literati Purge of 1519, he knew that he had become a thorn in the side of those in power around King Jungjong. If Gyeom were an ordinary boy with no family, he would not have hesitated to agree to his proposal. As such, he glanced uncomfortably at his wife, who shared the same concerns. 

8. When King Jungjong visited Saimdang's home, there is no mention of Yi Won Su. After he left Saimdang the parting words that perhaps one day her hopes of visiting Mt. Geumgang would come true, she felt that there was some resemblance between this man and Gyeom. 

9. In her excitement from receiving the rare inkstick from Gyeom, Saimdang planted a kiss on Gyeom's lips. Touching his lips in wonder, he moved towards her and held her in his arm, feeling her trembling as he did so. Their silhouettes were indistinguishable, as they tenderly kissed under the moonlight.

I'm just starting this drama and what strikes is how "modernize" this drama comes across. It's 'historical', but the characters have mannerism and behaviors of the 21st century which is throwing me off a little. Kids yelling at their parents seem out of place. However, I do find it very interesting. 

@gerrytan8063 Wow! Once again, you truly amaze me with your discerning eye. Was the painting a recreation of Shin Saimdang's actual work, or one that was done for the drama? 

In chapter 6, we learn more of Seok Soon's past... her passion for learning, the fact that she was an illegitimate child of a Yangban, and her mother's heart of regret for her daughter who yearned for a life she could not give.

Chapter 6

1. Saimdang found the perfect spot to paint a picture of the window grills of Woonpyeongsa, which she found particularly beautiful, since they appeared to change colours according to the seasons and the sunlight, and she tried to recapture the colours with her painting. Just as she was painting, the door to the Guanyin temple suddenly opened. She quickly ran towards the door and stared through the cracks, setting eyes on the most beautiful painting she had ever seen. 

2. Upon the arrival of Yoon Pil's entourage to Woonpyeonsa, the abbott, unwilling to taint Saimdang's eyes with their immoral sight, blocked her view with his wide sleeve and pushed her behind him, urging her to leave.

3. It was sundown by the time she completed the drawing of the Goddess of Mercy. With a heavy heart, she looked at the drawing, and suddenly she recalled the words she read in her father's room, which she finally could relate to the sadness she felt. As such, she put the words to paper and read them out once, choked with emotion. Just then, she was startled by the presence of the little girl she saw earlier at Woonpyeongsa. She finally realised that the girl was mute, and gave her the drawing after seeing how mesmerised she was by it. She then offered her the orange that Gyeom brought back from the palace, which she had not been able to bring herself to eat. Peeling the skin, she watched as the girl hungrily devoured the fruit, and a fire within her was lit.

4. The tavern along the path between Ojukheon and Heonwon Estate, was home to the 40+ year old tavern mistress and her daughter Seok Soon, who was fathered by a Yangban that stayed at the tavern more than ten years ago. The tavern mistress had been busy the entire day, and even after the last guest had left, she was still washing the plates, exhausted to the point of being unable to straighten her back. No matter how she called, Seok Soon never appeared but stayed in her room. In anger, she took a spoon and entered the room. Seok Soon was leaning over, reciting from a book of idioms which she had picked up from who knows where. By the looks of it, she had been to Ojukheon again.
"Stop dreaming! Why don't you think what kind of status are you. What is the point of reading when you do not know if you will freeze or starve to death tomorrow?!", her mother bellowed, waving the spoon in the air and banging it a few times, wanting her to stop going to Ojukheon.
"The young lady at Ojukheon told me I could study there. She said I could go there everyday."
"Would learning a few torn books make rice appear? You must be mad, learning those useless things!"
"I don't care. I want to learn. I don't want to live like you!" With that Seok Soon rushed out of the room.

The tavern mistress crumbled heavily on to the floor as she watched her daughter's receding back. Her heart was filled with regret for her daughter and it pained her that she could not fulfil her daughter's dreams. More than anything, she knew that the more one understood, the harder it was to avoid life's misery. The world would not easily change, and neither would life, which meant that the daughter would carry on the life of her good-for-nothing mother. She could still hear Seok Soon's words ringing in her ears, and the moonlight that illuminated the tavern shone mournfully on her face.

This is the conclusion of Part 1. And yes, just as I did in the drama, I teared up as I read of how Saimdang pleaded with her parents for Gyeom's life...

Chapter 7

1. Seok Soon dragged Saimdang into the woods to escape the massacre. Like Saimdang, she was only 14, and the sight of the merciless killings terrified her just as much to the point of being unable to move. However, the determination to survive propelled her on, disregarding the rocks and branches that cut her as they fled. Looking back to see if they were being pursued, she saw Woonpyeongsa engulfed in flames. Saimdang fainted at the sight, and Seok Soon had no choice but to carry her on her back and move on, her instincts to survive enabling her to forget her pain momentarily. If only she had given the letter to Gyeom the night before, she would not be in this predicament today. However, it was too late and all she could do was move forward. 

2. As Seok Soon stumbled, wounded into the village, she saw Gyeom riding towards her. For a moment she thought that although late, he had come for her, and thus cried out to him. After he gave her money and pushed her hand aside, she lost her balance and fell to the ground, crying bitterly. She trembled from humiliation, thinking that if she could choose her own life, she would not be like this, and be treated so carelessly by Gyeom. Perhaps he would have treated her like a girl from a well-off family, even if just once. Perhaps, he would have carried her tightly in his arms and rushed off, the way he did with Saimdang.

3. Returning to the tavern, Seok Soon overheard the customers talking about the behaviour of the men who set fire to Woonpyeongsa, then continued on their merry-making across the river. Staring at the vivid drawings of the unconscionable acts in Woonpyeongsa, as well as the suffering drifters, she determined that the painting book and hair ribbon would enable her to wipe away all her shame and sense of being wronged. Her eyes burning with vengeance, she stared out to the river.

4. When Shin Myeong Hwa commanded all Saimdang's works to be burnt, she would not let them touch An Gyeon's painting, as it was the painting that she longed so much to see. More importantly, it was a gift from Gyeom, which she treasured above all else. Her mother looked in compassion at her trembling daughter, and ordered that the painting be hidden behind the wall paper. As she watched them doing so, her heart was heavy and melancholic, feeling that very act was akin to blotting out her daughter's future.

5. When the Security Attache came for Shin Myeong Hwa's life, his wife begged for them to be given a day to save Saimdang's life since a group of violent men were coming for her. As he supported his wife, he said that having burnt all her paintings, they now needed to ensure Saimdang no longer wore a hair ribbon (in other words, she was a married woman) as soon as possible. His wife was shocked when he said Saimdang could not marry Gyeom, since she thought Gyeom, being of royalty, would be able to ensure that Saimdang was protected. However, Shin Myeong Hwa explained the king's nature of turning around and eliminating those he held dear the next moment. To retrieve his poem, he would not hesitate to kill. As such, he could not put Gyeom in harm's way just to save his own daughter. The Security Attache who heard every word, nodded his head in grief, knowing that everything he said was true. His wife however could not accept his words, and said that she would summon Yi Gyeom straight away. Just then, Saimdang rushed into the room. Confirming with her father that Gyeom would be in danger, and could even lose his life if he married her, she began to cry, begging her father not to seek out Gyeom. It did not matter if she married someone else, anyone else, as long as Gyeom was safe. As she held out her hands in supplication and wept desolately, pleading for her father to protect the man who was more important to her than life itself, her anguish shattered her parents' hearts. It was thus that Ojukheon welcomed the most cruel dawn it had ever known.

6. Yi Won Su was described as a handsome man from a good family, but without any dreams or ambitions. Normally, he would not have been a candidate for Saimdang's hand, but things being what they were, Shin Myeong Hwa and his wife travelled through the night to offer their daughter in marriage to him. When he was told of his marriage to Saimdang, he felt like he had been given a gift from heaven.

7. As Shin Myeong Hwa prepared for death following Saimdang's wedding, his thoughts were not of himself but of the future his daughter would face, and his family's safety. "You must live. No matter what, you must survive. Life is filled with choices. Do not demean yourself in meaningless things in life. Rather, you must do your best to live a life that is yours to the fullest."

8. Rushing back with the doctor, Gyeom was shocked to hear news of her wedding and rode to Ojukheon, only to be blocked by the servants that Shin Myeong Hwa had put in place. Unable to accept what was happening, Gyeom kept struggling and crying out Saimdang's name. Finally, the sun set, like nothing had happened. Gyeom knelt on the ground and grasping his hair, cried out in desolation like a madman. It was as if the world had ended. 

9. Learning of the painting being hidden behind the walls of Ojukheon, SJY and HSH took the bus there, hoping that its discovery would prove that Prof. Min's painting was a fake. HSH had been feeling extremely guilty for causing SJY to be sacked from the school. In addition, Saimdang and Gyeom's love story had incited his curiosity and interest. As he translated Saimdang's pleas to marry someone else, he was almost moved to tears, and he could see that SJY too had tears in her eyes.

10. Part 1 ends with SJY reading Saimdang's words 20 years later, writing of missing her father which was like a punishment that still overcame her with deep sorrow, and that if she were so distressed, how much more her mother must be, since all her children had left her.

@lclarakl Welcome! Glad you are starting this drama and hope that you will find something to love in it. Which version are you watching - SBS or international?

I think Saimdang's children have had an unconventional upbringing, with a mother who was, herself, unconventional and a father who was neither restrictive nor oppressive, though they had their share of punishments as well, from the moment we were introduced to them, to the persimmon affair later :tongue: If you watch further, you will see this contrasted with Hwieumdang's children, who lived in fear of censure every day and under the demands for brilliance from both parents. In reality, I think while not to that extreme, the Min children's lives were more in line with what was expected during those times, and even among some families today.

@liddi

"Wow! Once again, you truly amaze me with your discerning eye. Was the painting a recreation of Shin Saimdang's actual work, or one that was done for the drama? "

According to this book, these were actually her Ink Monochrome paintings

34184265730_099443108f.jpg

Saimdang Arts Book 

http://www.aladin.co.kr/shop/wproduct.aspx?ItemId=93331641

33727282704_75c0d7ee84.jpg

the pages in the book of her painting, it seems she painted a series of ink monochrome plum blossom

34439759751_43288b7900.jpg

Shin Saimdang Ink Monochrome of Plum Blossom (묵매도) painted by Painter Yi Yun Wu (이윤우)

First picture below shows Saimdang touching Lee Gyeom's face (while they're hiding in a cave in Ep. 16, SBS).

Second picture shows Saimdang touching Lee Gyeom's face ((while they're in Siesta Di Luna in Ep. 28, SBS).

I stand to be corrected, but I don't remember Saimdang ever touching Lee Won-su in any way.

I will miss all these corny stuff!

IOF2Mb8.jpg

Novel Vol 1: Part 2 Dark Memoirs
Chapter 8

1. At her father's grave, Saimdang poured out her feelings about moving to Hanyang, without knowing when she would be back, and asked that he protected her mother who would be all alone. Just then, an Old World swallowtail butterfly landed on the grave, flapping its wings, seemingly understanding Saimdang's words, as if to say it understood and not to worry.

2. Saimdang's 4 children were very different in temperament. 15 year old Seon was cheerful and innocent, resembling his father in looks and temperament. Meanwhile, 11 year old Mae Chang was far more meticulous in her mindset than children her age, and passionate in character. 8 year old Hyun Ryong took after his mother's intelligence and capability, always preferring to keep his nose in books than play with others. Her youngest, 4 year old Wu was adorable and exceedingly bright.

3. Her attention was finally drawn to the closet in her room. Her eyes wandered uncertainly and her hands trembled as she was torn whether or not to open it. Finally, she decided to open the door to where all her memories had been sealed for so long. A thick layer of dust covered her paintings of Gyeom, and his of her, their love letters, the hairpin he gave her, the bracelet they each had, and the inkstick Gyeom gifted her. In that moment, all the bitterness and regrets rose within her. After that fateful dawn, she had decided to bury all the memories of Gyeom in this closet. The times they spent together, painting, playing music, the kisses they shared, everything that would play out vividly the moment she closed her eyes - she buried every single piece of them deep within her heart, and in the closet. However, now, she would have to hide them in a secret place where no one would ever find them. 

4. The devastating pain and loss Saimdang went through at such an early age was one that even someone far older than her would have found difficult to face. However, she displayed a calmness that belied her years. At the time, her mother wished that she would have allowed herself to cry wholeheartedly, which would have set the minds of those around her more at ease. Instead, she turned around and comforted her mother. Once again, mother and daughter locked all the past memories deep within their hearts, and silently held each other's hands.

5. Dressed in wedding finery, Gyeom was on the way to the wedding ceremony when he spotted an unfamiliar package outside his room. He was about to move on when he saw the shape of a painting wrapped within. Asking for light, he opened up the package and collapsed to the floor when he realised it was the Mt Geumgang painting with the love poem they inscribed, and the inkstick. Staring at the Biikjo stamp, the memories that he never once forgot resurfaced, and Gyeom trembled in despair and fury. Grabbing the painting and inkstick, he strode out of the manor to the shock of the servants and the attendees of the wedding. His bride-to-be paled to see him throwing his wedding finery off and leaving, while his aunt passed out on the spot.

6. As he rode towards Ojukheon, he could no longer consider the consequences of his actions. He had lost sense of reason long ago, and now, and now he was overwhelmed by fury and grief. His mind was filled with resentment and longing for Saimdang, the precious memories of the Mt. Geumgang painting and the inkstick which he had treasured inside his heart completely released, filling him with mixed emotions. 

7. When he saw the carts of luggage outside Ojukheon, he finally realised with a chill in his heart, that she was moving away. Although she was someone else's wife and a mother of 4, just the knowledge that she was nearby on the other side of the walls of Ojukheon was sufficient reason for him to continue on living and endure the longing of each passing day, even if he could no longer see her. However, the fact that she was leaving for an unknown place and returning the painting and inkstick to him, meant that she had decided to leave all the memories behind, never to return. Just then, Saimdang, holding the hands of her children, walked out of the front door, and their eyes met, filled with sorrow.

8. Saimdang stepped aside and slowly walked towards the bamboo forest, with Gyeom stealthily following behind, worried that his presence would be noticed by the children and servants. Seeing her expressionless face, he was filled with renewed fury and hurled accusations at her for leaving without a word, and her act 20 years ago, marrying someone else without a single explanation. His every word was like a rock thrown at her heart, suffocating her, yet she maintained an expression that seemed to proclaim that their fate together was over, and stared resolutely at him. She then told him that it was meaningless to say all this anymore, which he retaliated that he had tried in vain to forget her.

"I saw you that day at the entrance of Bupyeong village, yet you acted as if we were strangers and walked past me." He gripped his heart tightly as he recalled the events of that day.
Hearing his words, she hesitated momentarily. She could not remember any such incident, and had no notion of having met him at Bupyeong village. Nonetheless, she maintained a neutral expression and waited for him to continue. 
"My heart was torn into pieces. I have tried for 20 years to forget you, getting drunk, abandoning my art, doing all kinds of insane things. Yet here you are, you are still here, breaking my heart!"

At this his tears began to fall, snaking down like a scar that pierced Saimdang's heart. However, she was already a wife and a mother, and she could only look at him, unable to do anything else. Even if she was seen as cold-hearted, she had to hide all the sorrow within herself, not allowing any of it to show. It was best for him, and this was the only path she could take. In the end, seeing her cold expression, he turned and walked away. As he left, at last her tears silently rolled down her cheeks. It was finally over. Two souls who should have belonged to each other, now went their separate ways. Every detail of their love had lost its lustre, forever faded from the memories.

9. King Jungjong summoned Gyeom to join him in the Banquet for the Elderly, during which Gyeom noted that although the king had aged, the court remained unchanged. He pointed out that it was obvious there were people who wanted to curry favour with those with power, and thus organised the banquet, inviting the elder relatives of these families. Although the banquet was meant to honour those over 80 years old, regardless of status, those in attendance were from the Yangban families only. In surprise, King Jungjong asked how he came to that conclusion, to which he noted one who wore custom-made leather shoes costing at least 20 nyang. Another wore coral accessories, while yet another held a fan made of tortoise shell. As such, he deduced that these were all relatives of the high-ranking ministers.

10. Saimdang was shocked to find that her house at Hanyang had been sold by her husband. As she comforted her distressed children, she forced herself to calm down. Life had been hard, with troubles at every corner. Yet, despite the hopelessness of their situation, she must find a way to overcome it and survive. Looking around her, she noticed pink Dianthus Chinensis blossoms by the wall, and she broke into a smile. These were flowers common in Bupyeong village, and it was so good to be able to see them in this strange land.

11. As SJY put down the diary, she felt that she was not reading someone else's story. Like Saimdang who lost her home and had nowhere to go, she too was going through the same thing. Saimdang's 3rd child Hyun Ryong's behaviour was so similar to her own son Eun Soo, while Saimdang's husband who would always disappear when troubles arose, was almost like her own husband. From the looks of it, the Mt, Geumgang painting must have followed Saimdang to Hanyang. Come to think of it, the hustle and bustle of Gwanghwamun was not necessarily any different from Hanyang so many years ago. JMS' sunbae who was a lawyer, had advised her to keep a low profile since this was not a problem she could resolve.  However, to do so would mean the loss of SJY's last hope. Their credit cards were frozen a few weeks ago, followed by her loss of income, Eun Soo's pending school fees, her mother-in-law asking for money for the household, and the loan sharks tracking them down at their new address, destroying the walls - these are unmitigated facts which were clawing at SJY's feet. She then recalled Saimdang's last words - "No matter what, the problems at hand must be resolved. To live is not to give up, but to persevere."

@liddi

Thank you for your translation of the novel,.....great reading.....landed, checking the connectivity......having a bacon butty & coffee while reading

"Old World swallowtail butterfly landed on the grave,"

"Old World swallowtail butterfly (Papilio machaon,산호랑나비) is listed as "vulnerable" species in South Korea

" King Jungjong summoned Gyeom to join him Banquet of the Elderly

Banquet for the Elderly ((Yang Ro Yeon, 양로연, 養老宴) is an annual banquet for the elderly that was held to honour all men over the age of 80, no matter what their status & elderly women were feted in a banquet hosted by the Queen in her inner quarters

While in the drama, Yi Gyeom could have been invited to a Gisa to honour with a banquet of Elderly Scholars

34458973601_4c7cdcb5c7_z.jpg

A gisa was a special gathering held to honour high-ranking officials who were over 70 years old. This album, containing articles and paintings, was produced to record a gathering of elders held in 1719 (the 45th year of King Sukjong’s reign), and was completed in 1720. King Sukjong was present at this gathering with eleven retainers of the second rank or higher, including Yi Yu (1645-1721). The album also contains the king’s writing, a foreword, a postscript, paintings of scenes from the gathering, portraits of the participants, and celebratory poems. At the end of the album is a list of five people who produced the album, including Yi Ui-bang, an official in charge of writings and paintings, and Kim Jin-yeo, a court painter.

Banquet for the Elderly ((Yang Ro Yeon, 양로연, 養老宴) depicted during the reign of Jeongjo in his 8 days excursion to Hwaseong, Suwon, Gyeonggi-do in 1795

http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=rbh54&logNo=220667040235&parentCategoryNo=&categoryNo=&viewDate=&isShowPopularPosts=false&from=postView

@gerrytan8063 Thank you for your kind words. Glad to know that you have arrived safely, and good to see that you have connectivity. Hope everything goes well and you will find time to join us here when you are able.

Thank you for sharing the details of the Yang Yo Reon and its difference from a gisa. Is this a yearly event? I cannot imagine how large the banquet must be, in order to fete all the elderly above the age of 80. 

As for the drama, from what I can see, all the C-subs referred to the gathering as 養老宴 Yang Yo Reon. It is strange though that MCH invited King Jungjong to join them. Does that mean that the banquet was not necessarily hosted by the king, only on special occasions?

Reading the novel and rewatching the corresponding scenes just makes me miss this drama all the more. Haven't quite gotten over the withdrawal symptoms yet...

@liddi

"As for the drama, from what I can see, all the C-subs referred to the gathering as 養老宴 Yang Yo Reon. It is strange though that MCH invited King Jungjong to join them. Does that mean that the banquet was not necessarily hosted by the king, only on special occasions?"

Banquet for the Elderly (Yang Ro Yeon, 양로연, 養老宴) is annual affair since average person life expectancy in Joseon  span is 24 for male & 26 for female while Joseon Kings are 47 years, in the drama, due to the camera framing, only limit to the Court Ministers presence to deliver their dialogue, while the festivity are outside

Happy Reading

7 hours ago, liddi said:

As SJY put down the diary, she felt that she was not reading someone else's story. Like Saimdang who lost her home and had nowhere to go, she too was going through the same thing. Saimdang's 3rd child Hyun Ryong's behaviour was so similar to her own son Eun Soo, while Saimdang's husband who would always disappear when trouble arose, was almost like her own husband. From the looks of it, the Mt, Geumgang painting must have followed Saimdang to Hanyang. Come to think of it, the hustle and bustle of Gwanghwamun was not necessarily any different from Hanyang so many years ago. JMS' sunbae who was a lawyer, had advised her to keep a low profile since this was not a problem she could resolve.  However, to do so would mean the loss of SJY's last hope. Their credit cards were frozen a few weeks ago, followed by her loss of income, Eun Soo's pending school fees, her mother-in-law asking for money for the household, and the loan sharks tracking them down at their new address, destroying the walls - these are unmitigated facts which were clawing at SJY's feet. She then recalled Saimdang's last words - "No matter what, the problems at hand must be resolved. To live is not to give up, but to persevere."

Oh my. Love these inner thoughts. I always thought SJY's husband is similar to Saimdang's husband. Troublesome. Hmm. SJY actually feels that way. Thanks @liddi. You should request to translate the novel to English and we could all be happy. 

Some postings that I had kept under draft

Yi Gyeom drew & made into the 40 rib hand fan for Jungjong which was later taken over by Princess Hyojeong

34459818431_824efc3e01_z.jpg

Spoiler

33930584426_1c99a4984b_z.jpg

Hand Fan painted by Folk Painter Oh Sun Gyeong (오순경), on loan for the drama

Final Episode, Seo Ji Yun sees the giant portrait of Peter Paul Rubens "Man in the Korean Costume" in Siesta Di Luna, Tuscany Italy

34428528682_2b4c11a139_z.jpg

The least the caption did put the actual size of Rubens chalk drawing rather than what we are seen in the drama

Spoiler

34459757981_31f45ebc43_z.jpg

By Rubens "Man in the Korean Costume" (actual size 38.4 x 23.5 cm) 16th century (although it should be 17th century since the drawing was done in 1617). An European depiction of of a person from the East. It was said to be a Modello (preparatory painting) for his epic painting "The Miracles of St Francis Xavier" 

@gerrytan8063 Now that you mention it, with the low life expectancy, I guess the annual banquet could not have had that large a turnout after all. In that respect, Shin Saimdang passing away at the age of 47 would be considered to have lived a long and definitely fruitful life. 

Vol 1 has a total of 16 chapters, covering 3 parts. The book already deviates from the drama in several respects, including sequences and details. Am really impatient to read about the Security Attaché's relationship with Gyeom... though I fear that we would only learn more in Vol 2. Get the printing machines cranking already lah! :D 

@Farah Ayuni I would be ecstatic if there were an English translation of the novel, and I would definitely be first in line to purchase it. The book does flesh out a lot of their thoughts in greater detail than the drama. As for the mental comparison between JMS and YWS, I still withhold judgment, considering the mindset SJY was in at that point in time, having to face all the obstacles alone, so it was inevitable that she would feel abandoned and resentful towards her husband. We will see by the end of Vol 2, if she still feels the same way, because the drama at least, definitely drove home the point over and over again, that JMS was the man that she loved most in the world. Saimdang's heart, on the other hand, was always with Gyeom, and that never changed with time.

@gerrytan8063 You know, until you mentioned it, it never occurred to me that the huge reproduction of Rubens' Man in Korean Costume was housed in Siesta di Luna. For some unfathomable reason, I kept thinking it was a flashback on SJY's part and there was actually such an exhibition somewhere in Europe. Heh! Where is the painting being displayed now anyway?

Well spotted on the mistake in the captions in terms of the century. I can't read Hangul, but I managed to spot typos in Siesta di Luna, which they spelt "Siesta de Luna". Ah well... 

Archived