[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

'Saimdang, the Herstory' has revealed Lee Young-ae and Song Seung-heon's character still images

photo648856.jpg

On October 30th, 'Saimdang, the Herstory' has released the character images featuring Lee Young-aeand Song Seung-heon in traditional hanbok.

The reactions from netizens include, "Saimdang Lee Young-ae and Song Seung-heon look great together", " Saimdang Lee Young-ae and Song Seung-heon, there's something special about them", and so on.

photo648855.jpg

The production team of Saimdang said, "Their special synergy created by their emotional interaction raises the engaging level of viewers".

'Saimdang, the Herstory' is a reinterpretation of Saimdang Lady Shin, as genius painter in Joseon. The drama depicts her artistic soul and undying love.

The filming has being going on since last August. To pursue the perfect creation, the drama is produced in the per-filming system by 100% before it airs in 2016 through SBS.

source

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Photo Release Raises Expectations for Lee Young-ae's New Drama

Photos of actress Lee Young-ae and actor Song Seung-hun were released on Friday for their upcoming drama on terrestrial broadcaster SBS.

The drama tells the story of Shin Saimdang (1504-1551), a renowned artist and writer during the Chosun Dynasty.

2015110301119_0.jpg

Lee plays both Shin and an art historian in the present who unravels the mysteries of Shin's diaries and paintings.

Song plays a free spirit raised in a strict family, and his life changes after an encounter with Shin.

The photos are raising expectations for the drama, which is scheduled to air in the first half of 2016.

source:   http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/11/03/2015110301170.html

Return of queens to small screen

Keeping relevant material only

Star actresses are set to return to the small screen next year after a long break

Actresses Lee Young-ae, Song Hye-kyo and Go Hyun-jung are among an array of stars who will grace the screen in much-anticipated TV dramas.

Actress Lee Young-ae is starring in the new period drama “Saimdang, the Herstory.” The TV drama marks her return to the small screen after an 11-year hiatus, after her sensationally popular drama “Jewel in the Palace” in 2003.

For her grand return, she chose to play Shin Saimdang, a renowned female artist, poet and the mother of the Korean Confucian scholar Yulgok who lived in the 16th century Korea.

Actor Song Seung-heon will play opposite of Lee, taking the role of Lee Gyeom, who harbors an unwavering love for his childhood sweetheart, Saimdang.

The drama, produced by Yun Sang-ho, “The Legend” and “Tamna the Island,” will hit the airwaves next year on SBS.

source:  http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201511031749240981691_2

Actress Lee Young-ae leaves for Milan

Actress Lee Young-ae leaves for Milan

South Korean actress Lee Young-ae arrives at Incheon airport, west of Seoul, on Oct. 30, 2015, before leaving for the Italian city of Milan to shoot "Saimdang, the Herstory," a period drama depicting the life of Shin Saimdang (1504-1551), in this photo released by the designer brand MCM. Shin Saimdang is a renowned historical figure who was good at art, calligraphy and writing, as well as the mother of Lee Yulgok, a well-known Korean Confucian scholar. The drama is scheduled to be aired in the first half of 2016

source:  http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/photo/2102000001.html

• 2 weeks later...

“Saimdang, the Herstory” Starring Lee Young Ae and Song Seung Hun to Air Next Fall

“Saimdang, the Herstory” Starring Lee Young Ae and Song Seung Hun to Air Next Fall

Viewers will have to wait until next fall to watch Lee Young Ae and Song Seung Hun‘s anticipated new drama “Saimdang, the Herstory.”

On November 17, a representative of SBS’ drama department revealed that the drama is estimated to air in September 2016 at the earliest, mainly to ensure high quality of production and clarify issues related to international distribution.

The producers have aimed at taking the drama overseas ever since the initial planning stages, and they have put great effort into enabling simultaneous broadcasting in both Korea and China. Due to the relatively strict TV censorship in China, negotiations with broadcasters tend to take longer than in Korea.

According to reports, Hong Kong-based Emperor Group has invested 10 billion won (approximately $8.6 million USD) into the drama, which further proves the international appeal of the grand-scale production.

Meanwhile, the filming started last August and the drama will be entirely pre-produced. This is almost unheard of in the Korean drama industry, where episodes are usually filmed just days before they are expected to air, allowing producers to adjust the storyline according to viewers’ feedback.

With Lee Young Ae and Song Seung Hun as the leads, “Saimdang, the Herstory” will also star Oh Yoon Ah and former After School member Lee Joo Yeon.

Source

Lee Young-ae and Song Seung-heon in upcoming SBS drama "Saimdang, the Herstory"

photo657348.png

Fans can't hardly wait for the drama "Saimdang, the Herstory".

Stills of Lee Young-ae and Song Seung-heon were released on October 30, last month.

Lee Young-ae plays two roles: a university lecturer who studied Korean Art History and Shin Saimdang. The lecturer discovers Saimdang's diary and resolves a secret involved with a mysterious island of beauties.

Song Seung-heon is the Joseon version of Gatsby, as he is an innocent lover who meets Saimdang when they were young and only has eyes for her forever. He is a carefree character who is covered from head to toe with an artistic touch. He doesn't negotiate with injustice and won't hesitate to speak out to authority.

In the pictures, Lee Young-ae and Song Seung-heon resemble an Oriental painting. They are both looking somewhere far with affection in the eyes.

These pictures were taken in Hwaseong on the 19th. Lee Young-ae is wearing an elegant Hanbok with a shawl over her head.

Song Seung-heon is Lee Kyeom from head to toe. His charcoal and violet oufit makes him look handsome and in the eyes that look at Saimdang he looks resolute and dim.

The synergy between the two is highly anticipated and the production crew promises this will be a worthy drama.

Meanwhile, "Saimdang, the Herstory" will be broadcast on SBS in 2016.

source

Song Seung-heon ‘honored to work with Lee Young-ae’

Actor Song Seung-heon said he is honored to work with actress Lee Young-ae during Monday’s press briefing for the upcoming drama “Saimdang, the Herstory.”

The 39-year-old actor told the reporters, “I am honored to work with actress Lee, who is returning to dramas after 10 years away,” adding she was the main reason behind his starring in the drama.

“I never thought I could work with Lee, so it’s like a dream. On the first day of shooting, I kept blowing my lines because I was so nervous,” he said.

“Saimdang, the Herstory” was in the media spotlight as it is Lee’s first return to the small screen since her megahit drama “Jewel in the Palace,” which ended in 2003.

Lee is playing a double role -- a college instructor and Shin Saimdang (the mother of the Korean Confucian scholar Yulgok) -- solving the mystery of a photo of the beauty.

The drama is set to premiere in the second half of next year.

source

Yonhap News Agency

November 30, 2015

Lee Young-ae hopes to portray life of woman, mother in new drama

GANGNEUNG, South Korea, Nov. 30 (Yonhap) -- Actress Lee Young-ae said Monday she wants to portray the life of a woman and mother in her new role as a renowned Joseon Dynasty artist who was also the mother of a famous Korean Confucian scholar.

Lee plays Shin Saimdang (1504-1551), a historical figure known for her art, calligraphy and writing as well as her son, Lee Yulgok, in the period drama "Saimdang, the Herstory."

"Simply speaking, 'Saimdang' is the story of a woman," Lee said during a press conference for the new drama, held at a hotel in the eastern coastal city of Gangneung. "The concerns of a mother, wife and woman are the same now or 500 years ago. I wanted to depict the life of a woman in a double role, under Saimdang's name. I'm sure women everywhere around the world, not just here, will be able to identify with her."

The drama goes back and forth through time and Lee plays both Shin and a college art history instructor in the modern era.

It marks Lee's return as an actress 10 years after she halted her career to get married and have children. She is best known for her leading role in the smash-hit epic series "Daejanggeum," which aired in 2004. She last appeared in director Park Chan-wook's 2005 film "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance."

"Since getting married and becoming a mother and a wife, I've been thinking more about what is a good life," said the 44-year-old actress. "Since choosing Saimdang, I've been trying to identify with her concerns and through it, display my talents, raise my children well and guide my family."

Lee's lover in the drama is Lee Gyeom, a Joseon Dynasty artist skilled in painting, calligraphy, music and dance. The fictional character is played by Song Seung-heon.

He said he accepted the role most of all because he would be able to star opposite Lee.

"The fact that I'm here and able to work together with (Lee) in her first piece in 10 years is in itself an honor and joy," he said during the press conference. "On my first shooting day with (Lee), I was reminded of my debut. I was that nervous and as (Lee) stood in front of me and looked into my eyes, I choked up and couldn't say my lines. My heart raced and I remember being so nervous."

The drama is scheduled to air simultaneously in South Korea and China in the second half of next year. It is being filmed in Gangneung, where Shin was born and raised.

Lee Young-ae (R) and Song Seung-heon speak at a press conference at a hotel in Gangneung on Nov. 30, 2015. (Yonhap)

Lee Young-ae (R) and Song Seung-heon speak at a press conference at a hotel in Gangneung on Nov. 30, 2015. (Yonhap)

Actress Lee Young-ae

Stars of 'Saimdang, the Herstory'

Actor Song Seung-heon (L) and actress Lee Young-ae attend a press conference in Gangneung on South Korea's east coast on Nov. 30, 2015, to promote SBS TV's new drama, "Saimdang, the Herstory." The drama depicts the life of Shin Saimdang (1504-1551), a renowned historical figure who was good at art, calligraphy and writing, as well as the mother of Lee Yulgok, a well-known Korean Confucian scholar. The drama is scheduled to air in the second half of 2016. (Yonhap) (END)

Press conference and open set day for Saimdang, the Herstory

by javabeans | November 30, 2015 | 1 Comment

saimdang_pc5.jpg

We’re still quite a ways off from the seeing SBS’s historical drama Saimdang, the Herstory on the air, but the drama did hold a press conference and open press day at the shooting location on November 30. Since the series doesn’t even have a spot on the schedule yet, I presume the press blitz was to remind us that the show’s still busily in the works; it’s probably a smart move, since it has such a lengthy production schedule that it’s easy to forget about it while other dramas come and go much more swiftly.

Not that anyone would forget Saimdang entirely, if only for being Lee Young-ae’s long-awaited television comeback, and her first in a decade since headlining the epically successful Dae Jang Geum (Jewel in the Palace). She’s turned down numerous projects and focused on her family, getting married and having children in the interim, so everyone’s curious to see what about this drama would lure her out of her extended hiatus.

Saimdang, the Herstory, which is produced by Group Eight, reimagines the life of the famed Joseon-era writer and artist Shin Saimdang, though it will have a modern-day element with Lee Young-ae also playing a present-day university art history lecturer. The contemporary character happens upon Saimdang’s diary and delves into the secret behind a mysterious painting of a woman; it sounds a lot like a Possession-esque (the A.S. Byatt novel) format, intertwining the lives of researchers and their long-deceased subjects as both stories unfold concurrently.

saimdang_pc1.jpg

At the press conference, which was held at the Seamarq Hotel in the eastern city of Gangneung, Lee Young-ae expressed her feelings at coming back to dramas after ten years, and described the drama as the story of a woman and mother: “I don’t think women’s concerns from 500 years ago are different from their concerns today. Through acting the two characters, I wanted to tell a story of women.”

About her extended break from dramaland, Lee said, “They say ten years is an epoch, and now that I’ve become a mother, my view of the world has broadened and deepened. I’ve come to understand the perspective of a mother raising children. My reason for choosing Saimdang, aside from it being interesting, is that I wanted to delve into the education of children and examine the concerns of women’s lives through the drama.”

Song Seung-heon plays the “Joseon Gatsby” who falls in love with Saimdang after a fateful encounter, and remains devoted to her for the rest of his life. He called it an honor to be acting opposite Lee Young-ae in her comeback, and also his main reason for taking the role. He said, “I’d never thought I would get to work with Lee Young-ae sunbae-nim, and every day feels amazing and like a dream. I remember being so nervous going to my first day of filming that it made me mess up my lines.”

saimdang_pc2.jpg

Song Seung-heon has done a sageuk before, but Dr. Jin was more of a fusion project, given that it featured a time-traveling character. (Also, that drama was terrible, and the less of we speak of it the better.) Song played a 21st-century character in that one, soSaimdang will be his first time taking on a conventional sageuk role, and he called it unfamiliar and a challenge for himself.

No doubt the widespread success of Dae Jang Geum is on everyone’s minds, but I do hope the production isn’t pinning its hopes on similar expectations, if only because the landscape has changed so much since that drama aired. Song Seung-heon did say, “As a drama that can move people through our common emotions, we have hopes that it will be embraced by Hallyu fans, but we aren’t making the drama consciously with thoughts of ‘Hallyu.'”

Saimdang began filming in August and will be 100 percent pre-produced. It plans to air in the second half of 2016, though an official airdate has yet to be announced.

saimdang_pc7.jpg

saimdang_pc3.jpg

saimdang_pc4.jpg

saimdang_pc12.jpg

saimdang_pc13.jpg

saimdang_pc10.jpg saimdang_pc11.jpg

saimdang_pc8.jpg saimdang_pc14.jpg

saimdang14.jpg saimdang13.jpg

saimdang12.jpg saimdang17.jpg

saimdang10.jpg saimdang11.jpg

saimdang15.jpg

Via NewsenMk.co.krHankyungJoins

Credit :  http://www.dramabeans.com/2015/11/press-conference-and-open-set-day-for-saimdang-the-herstory/

Jewel In The Palace star Lee Young Ae returns for her first TV role in 12 years

Korean actress Lee Young Ae, 44 , was an eligible bachelorette when she starred in the cult hit Jewel In The Palace in 2003.

Taking on her first TV role in 12 years, Lee is now a wife and mother of twins.

As a working mother, she says that she can identify with her historical character Shin Saimdang,  a famed 16th century painter-poet who is depicted on the Korean 50,000 won bill.

"I can relate to the historical figure Shin Saimdang, who walked the same journey as a mother and a wife. She was also a gifted painter. She's a working mother like myself," says Lee, who has largely remained out of the spotlight since getting married to a Korean businessman, Jeong Ho Yeong, 59, in 2009. She gave birth to twins in 2011.

She was speaking at a press conference alongside co-star Song Seung Heon in Korea to promote the drama Saimdang, The Herstory, earlier on Monday (Nov 30). The session was held at Gangwon-do, where filming is taking place at the historical site of Shin's home.

The drama will alternate between the present and past. Lee takes on a dual role, and will also play a Korean art university lecturer in modern times.

Saimdang, The Herstory will premiere in 2016 on cable channel Oh!K (StarHub TV Channel 816).

Actor Song, 39, is a bone fide Hallyu star, but he is still in awe of  veteran actress Lee. He starred in K-drama hit Autumn In My Heart (2000).

Song, who plays Shin's love interest in the drama, says: "There was a scene where I was angry at Saimdang. I was mad on the surface, but I could hear my heart thumping really hard. I was very nervous around her because it's a real honour for me to act opposite her."

nggwen@sph.com.sg

Credit : http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/jewel-in-the-palace-star-lee-young-ae-returns-for-her-first-tv-role-in-12#xtor=CS1-10

'Saimdang, the Herstory' Lee Young-ae "First romance story in 10 years, it made me feel nervous"

photo659429.jpg

Actress Lee Young-ae shared the behind-the-scenes story from the set of 'Saimdang, the Herstory'.

On the November 30th, a press conference for SBS' new drama, 'Saimdang, the Herstory' took place in the Seamarq Hotel, Gangneung.

Lee Young-ae said, "There's a romance storyline with Song Seung-heon. I'm doing this in ten years. It made feel nervous. Song Seung-heon told me he had nervous when he saw me. I also felt nervous and made mistakes filming".

She continued on, "We've postponed filming important (love) scenes until we become more familiar to this. Those trembling (out of nervousness) even could be seen on the monitor".

'Saimdang, the Herstory' depicts the love and art by Saimdang Shin in Joseon through the reinterpretation of her life. PD Yoon Sang-ho of "The Legend" and 'Tamra, the Island' and writer Park Eun-ryeong of 'The Woman Living Across the Street', 'A Second Proposal', and 'Go! Mrs. Go!' work together to create this highly anticipated new drama.

'Saimdang, the Herstory' is produced on the pre-production basis by 100% to pursue perfectionism. The drama is slated to go on air in September next year.

photo659489.jpg

photo659490.jpg

photo659487.jpg

photo659488.jpg

source

Early next year, a new Korean TV production entitled “Saimdang, the Herstory” will be released with Lee Young-ae in the lead role.

So who is Saimdang?

One of the most famous women in Korean history, Shin Saimdang (1504-1551) was an artist and a poet, and the mother of one of the great Korean scholars of Neo-Confucianism, Yi Yulgok.
She is honored today for being a remarkable woman, and for being a great mother to her equally famous son.
These days you can find the face of Shin Saimdang printed on the 50,000 won Korean note.

12289694_10153768516839521_1730319360544

12308410_10153768516874521_4798501185998

12308699_10153768516869521_7969832272718

12341470_10153768516939521_7801532771416

source: Korea Clickers on FB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@SMP567, @Prettysup       so glad you are here....  I hope there will be more lively discussion on this thread......

@MaknaeC, @valsava, @Kaizen68, @jadecloud, @rubie, @Irisz, @minhye1822, @turan_dot, @gerrytan8063@all4movies, @jangseo, @istanbullu_emine,  and everyone else interested in this drama, including lurkers....

Please comment on DramaFever Blog that you want to see this drama. Lets make this happen, that we get this drama subbed.

11 K-dramas we can't wait to watch in 2016

Keeping only relevant material

7. Saimdang, the Herstory
5eb6795f-0421-449d-83ac-158e1954a29a.png

Starring: Lee Young Ae and Song Seung Hun

Premiere: 2016 on SBS

Synopsis: Lee Young Ae is going to play the renowned historical figure Shin Saimdang after a 12-year break since her last drama, Jewel in the Palace.

Please comment in support of this drama on DramaFever Blog. Let them know you want to see this drama subbed.  Lets help them make a decision to bring it to us.

@irilight

For those who are interested in Shin Saimdang's birthplace & hometown Gangneung, there will be a KTX line that links from Incheon airport (ICN) to Gangneung, Gangwon-do via Pyeongchang due to be completed prior to the Pyeongchang Olympics in 2018. The KTX train ride is expected to be a 1hr 40mins or under 2 hrs train ride, while the current chug along train to Gangneung takes between 6 -7 hours, while the express bus is a 3 hour bus ride, a car will take 2.5hr

This will enable you to head straight to Gangneung without going into Seoul from Incheon airport

Archived