[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

@irilight Thank you for sharing DB's article on the latest teaser. To reiterate the description:

The latest teaser is about a minute long and opens with Lee Young-ae’s voice reading a cryptic passage: “This unbearable sadness reaches the heavens, and I try to record my memories.” Quick cuts of a young Joseon man and woman in love follow, and the young man wonders, “How can your heart and mine be so alike?” Lee Young-ae as historian Seo Ji-yoon discovers Saimdang’s ancient diary, which recounts the tale of Saimdang and Lee Gyeom, who were each other’s first loves. Lee Gyeom declares, “Not once in twenty years have I forgotten you. How could I possibly forget you?”

In the present, a painting of Geumgang mountain serves as a clue before we see Saimdang intricately painting wildlife and making paper. “How can all this art emerge from one person?” a voice wonders. With a determined gaze, Saimdang states a request: “Please help me make paper. If we starve, we starve together. If we eat, we eat together. We are all dignified people of Joseon. Please create a nation where people can dream.” Ji-yoon gingerly touches the painting of Saimdang which bears her striking resemblance and wonders why she appeared before her. The copy throughout reads, “One woman’s record, hidden for 500 years. Appears like a miracle before me. An inextinguishable love and immortal spirit of art. Saimdang’s new story begins.”

cr. Dramabeans

This just fans my anticipation all the more for the drama - the ambiance, the possibilities for a truly haunting tale which, done well, will surely resonate with our emotions long after it has ended. I really hope that it will live up to and exceed all my expectations. It already has all the makings and elements that will make it so.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KBS, SBS, And More Reveal Their Exciting Plans For New Drama Premieres In 2017

C1QQw_DUcAElOKg.jpg

2016 was a great year for dramas. It gave us hits like “Descendants Of The Sun,” “Moonlight Drawn by Clouds,” “Romantic Doctor Kim,” “The Legend of the Blue Sea,” and “Goblin.” But don’t expect things to slow down in 2017! Here are several upcoming dramas to look out for this year.

SBS:

Lee Young Ae Song Seung Heon

Many expect “Saimdang Light’s Diary” to be SBS’s biggest drama in 2017. Lee Young Ae will be making her long-awaited return to acting with a double role as Joseon’s best female artist, Saimdang, and Korean art history lecturer Seo Ji Yoon. Joining her is fellow Hallyu star, Song Seung Heon, as Saimdang’s love interest. “Saimdang, Light’s Diary” is SBS’s biggest production of the year, with its 21.6 billion won (approximately $17.9 million) budget and filming that took place from August 2015 to June 2016. “Saimdang, Light’s Diary” will premiere on January 26, taking over the Wednesday-Thursday 10 p.m. time slot.

***skipped unrelated***

https://www.soompi.com/2017/01/02/kbs-sbs-reveal-exciting-plans-new-drama-premieres-2017/

"Saimdang, the Herstory" VS "Mister Kim" - Which drama will replace "The Legend of the Blue Sea"?

photo803673.jpg

"Saimdang, the Herstory" overlaps "Mister Kim". Which drama will come in place of "The Legend of the Blue Sea" which is currently topping charts? This is going to be an interesting battle.

The new SBS drama "Saimdang, the Herstory" is a fusion historical about a lecturer named Seo Ji-yoon (Lee Young-ae) who discovers Saimdang's (Lee Young-ae) diary in Italia and travels back and forth in time to discover the truth.

Lee Young-ae is coming back with a historical drama for the first time in 13 years since the 2004 drama "Dae Jang Geum". Lee Young-ae plays the historical figure, Saimdang. She hasn't lost her elegant touch yet and she's perfect for the role of Saimdang. In the previews of the drama, Lee Young-ae couldn't have been more perfect for the role as she plays two roles at once in the drama; living in two different periods of time.

The new KBS 2TV drama "Mister Kim" is the story about Kim Seong-ryong (Namgoong Min) who has a natural instinct for money and he joins TQ Group in an attempt to be highly successful once and for all. However, he ends up fighting with injustice, then saves the company that is failing. Namgoong Min was previously in the successful dramas "Remember" and "Beautiful Gong Shim".

Namgoong Min is playing a completely different character from his last two dramas.

In "Remember", Namgoong Min left a big impression as the evil Nam Gyu-man and in "Beautiful Gong Shim" he was a romantic man who sought revenge. In "Mister Kim" Namgoong Min takes up a big role as Mr. Kim and be an all-round player.

"Saimdang, the Herstory" and "Mister Kim" come just a day apart. "Mister Kim" starts on the 25th and competes with the final episode of "The Legend of the Blue Sea" while "Saimdang, the Herstory" starts on the 26th.

http://www.hancinema.net/saimdang-the-herstory-vs-mister-kim--which-drama-will-replace-the-legend-of-the-blue-sea--102144.html

Seriously, I think that Chief Kim can't fight against others. Missing 9 vs Saimdang is real competition. The drama air after Missing 9 ends, Radiant Office sounds promising, if Go Ah Sung agree, i will follow it.
And KBS even don't pick any project after Chief Kim ends?

Script reading (Sbs pd note) unfortunately SSH wasnt join script reading, no photo of SSH on sbs pd note

source: http://m.post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=6061217&memberNo=17330384

IMG_9060.jpg

IMG_9050.jpg

IMG_9056.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

MAIN LEAD AND SUPPORTING CAST ( well known actors and actress):

Spoiler

IMG_9039.jpg

IMG_9036.jpg
IMG_9037.jpg
IMG_9038.jpg
IMG_9041.jpg
IMG_9048.jpg
IMG_9049.jpg
IMG_9051.jpg
IMG_9052.jpg
IMG_9053.jpg
IMG_9054.jpg

ANOTHER SUPPORTING CAST:

Spoiler

IMG_9042.jpg
IMG_9043.jpg
IMG_9044.jpg
IMG_9045.jpg
IMG_9046.jpg
IMG_9047.jpg
IMG_9055.jpg
IMG_9057.jpg

(My guess this is picture of writer and director or PD):
IMG_905845e57.jpg
IMG_9059.jpg

Acting with his idol Lee Young Ae made K-drama star Song Seung Heon flub his lines

Actor Song Seung Heon made 1,500 fervent fans swoon at a public meet-and-greet event at The Cathay on Saturday.Actor Song Seung Heon made 1,500 fervent fans swoon at a public meet-and-greet event at The Cathay on Saturday.PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS

SINGAPORE - South Korean actor Song Seung Heon was the object of affection of 1,500 fervent fans at a public meet-and-greet event at The Cathay on Saturday. Many of them probably first got to know him through the hugely popular television romantic drama Autumn In My Heart (2000), in which he played a sensitive and devoted artist.

But even swoonsome superstar Song has an idol whose mere presence will make his heart palpitate and cause him to stumble over his words. She is none other than Lee Young Ae, lead actress of Jewel In The Palace, the 2003 hit period drama that turned the Korean Wave into a tsunami.

"When you talk about Lee Young Ae, not only me, all the guys in Korea and all the guys in Asia are her fans," says Song, 40, at a press conference held here before the meet-and-greet to promote his new series Saimdang.

And his co-star in the epic drama is none other than Lee. The show premieres here on cable channel Oh!K later this month.

"At our first filming, I was really nervous. I felt like it was my debut performance. I made a lot of mistakes and I had to keep repeating my lines," he says.

But even Lee, 45, ended up having many NG (No Good) takes during their first shoot too, he adds.

Perhaps because this is her first television role in 12 years. There has been much interest in the drama as the mother of five year-old twins has largely remained out of the spotlight since marrying Korean-American businessman Jeong Ho Yeong in 2009.

She plays the titular Shin Saimdang, the 16th-century painter and poet whose face is plastered on the 50,000 won bill. She also plays a modern-day art history lecturer in the drama which alternates between the present and the past.

Song's fictional character Lee Gyeom is a talented artist who reunites with his childhood sweetheart Shin two decades later only to find out she is married to a good-for-nothing husband.

The bachelor Song admits to struggling with the moral dilemma of loving a married woman in the drama.

He says: "It was really hard to show this love story because I am not sure how it is ethical. She is married and I am single. If both characters were single, we would be free to portray the love story. We could hold hands and run away. The producer and I worked together to make it a beautiful, but morally ethical drama."

While the nobleman's undying devotion is unrealistic by Song's own admission, he can still identify with the admirable trait.

Even though there was no mention of his rumoured beau, Chinese actress Liu Yifei, 29, she might well be comforted by what he says. Song declares: "If I really love a person, I think I would only have eyes for the person just like Lee Gyeom. I would love and care for that one person."

•Saimdang premieres on Oh!K (StarHub TV Channel 816, Singtel TV Channel 525) on Jan 26 at 9pm. The series is also available as part of the Hallyu pack on the Cast app.

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/acting-with-his-idol-lee-young-ae-made-k-drama-star-song-seung-heon-flub-his

Singtel TV & Oh!K Saimdang sends Korean Song Seung Heon to Singapore

07SaturdayJan 2017

Singtel and Oh!K hosted a visit by Korean superstar Song Seung Heon, who met with fans and Singtel TV subscribers today as part of a promotional tour for upcoming drama, Saimdang.

Hallyu fever hit Singapore as Korean superstar Song Seung Heon met with fans and Singtel TV subscribers during a visit to Singapore hosted by Singtel and Oh!K. Photo credit: Singtel.

Hallyu fever hit Singapore as Korean superstar Song Seung Heon met with fans and Singtel TV subscribers during a visit to Singapore hosted by Singtel and Oh!K. Photo credit: Singtel.

200 Hallyu fans got up-close with the charismatic actor, who is here to promote highly-anticipated drama Saimdang (师任堂), at a meet-and-greet event just for Singtel TV subscribers today.

Song Seung Heon takes a welfie with 1,500 excited fans at the public meet-and-greet event at The Cathay. Photo credit: Singtel.

The fans had the opportunity to take photos and interact with him, ahead of a public meet-and-greet event at The Cathay.

A very lucky fan receives a 10-second back hug from Song Seung Heon. Photo credit: Singtel.

A huge crowd of 1,500 excited fans turned out to support Song at the public fan meeting in the evening, some of whom arrived as early as 12noon.

Three lucky fans not only had the chance to play games with Song Seung Heon on stage, they also received prizes from him. Photo credit: Singtel.

Saimdang will premiere on Turner’s Oh!K (Singtel TV Channel 525 / 611) on 26 January 2017 at 9pm. Viewers can also catch it on the Hallyu pack on Cast.

https://thetravelmemoir.wordpress.com/2017/01/07/singtel-tv-ohk-saimdang-sends-korean-song-seung-heon-to-singapore/

Song Seung Heon gets jittery working with Lee Young Ae

The South-Korean actor will be romancing the actress in upcoming Korean drama, Saimdang

Posted: 08 Jan 2017 08:00 Updated: 08 Jan 2017 20:07
Share this:

1/5

ssh-1.jpg
ssh-2.jpg
ssh-3.jpg
ssh-4.jpg
ssh-5.jpg

Song Seung Heon feels the jitters acting alongside Lee Young Ae

Photo: Melinda Woo

South-Korean actor Song Seung Heon graced the shores of Singapore yesterday (Jan 7) to attend the press conference of his upcoming Korea historical drama, Saimdang, and unlike his bearded character, Lee Gyeom, in the drama, the actor appeared ever so stylish and sleek in a suit and tie, which sent the ladies in the room swooning.

After almost close to four years away from the small screen, the confident actor did not feel a tinge of nervousness when he first accepted the role of Lee Gyeom, but that soon changed when he found out that he would be paired romantically with veteran actress, Lee Young Ae. Saimdang would be the actress’ first drama in 13 years since she starred in popular Korean drama, Jewel In the Palace.

He said jokingly, “Well, I was away for four years but she was away for 13, so I thought maybe I’ll be the one helping her out on set."

All jokes aside, Seung Heon shared that he felt honoured to be given the opportunity to work with a “superstar” like Young Ae and that the news of her participation in the drama definitely came as “a pleasant surprise” as he had never expected himself to work with her as she was on a hiatus for some time. 

As predicted, the first day of filming for Saimdang did not go smoothly as the two lead actors had way too many NGs (no good takes).

“We just couldn’t say our lines! She was a superstar and I felt just like a rookie,” he said. 

But to Seung Heon’s relief, it turns out that even the veteran actress, who plays both historical figure Shin Saimdang and university lecturer Seo Jiyun in modern day, was also a bundle of nerves when she met him.

“I asked her: ‘What’s wrong with us today?’ she then told me that she was feeling really nervous too and we broke into laughter,” Seung Heon shared, as he recalled his fondest memory on set.

Although the actor gave himself a measly six out of 10 for his performance on set, he did not hesitate to sing praises of his co-star. “[Even though] she’s my senior, she still put in a lot of effort to the role. Her role is also tougher than mine as she has to portray an important historical figure authentically," he said.

(Continued on next page: Song Seung Heon: “My character is too unrealistic”)

http://entertainment.toggle.sg/en/entertainment/hallyubuzz/photos/song-seung-heon-gets-jittery-working-with-lee-young-ae-7100056#slideshow-1

On 1/4/2017 at 9:35 PM, Chellsee said:

"Saimdang, the Herstory" VS "Mister Kim" - Which drama will replace "The Legend of the Blue Sea"?

This is an attention grubbing article that makes no sense.
All these drama are very different from each other.
Seriously, it is only Viki's lame attempt to draw attention to their upcoming Kdrama.

On 1/6/2017 at 5:52 AM, LoveBangWon said:

Script reading (Sbs pd note) unfortunately SSH wasnt join script reading, no photo of SSH on sbs pd note

Love the photos, thank you.

On 1/8/2017 at 4:23 AM, sava2sava said:

I've been waiting 2 years for this drama when is it going to start.. ? 

I know, right, sister?  This month, finally :)   January 26!

On 1/8/2017 at 8:09 AM, waleiforever said:

queen of period dramas! (my opinion LOL)

I concur...:wub:

Some stills of her.

Image may contain: 1 person

Spoiler

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and outdoor

Image may contain: 4 people, people standing

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and indoor

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting

Spoiler

Image may contain: 1 person, standing

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Image may contain: 1 person, text

http://www.todayonline.com/entertainment/television/character-saimdang-better-him-says-song-seung-heon

Character in Saimdang better than him, says Song Seung Heon

Character in Saimdang better than him, says Song Seung Heon
Korean actor Song Seung Heon was in Singapore last Saturday (Jan 7) to promote his upcoming drama, Saimdang. Photo: Singtel

The Korean actor on his first time taking up a role in a historical drama
PUBLISHED: 5:45 PM, JANUARY 9, 2017
UPDATED: 7:49 PM, JANUARY 9, 2017

SINGAPORE — Korean actor Song Seung Heon might have acted in more than 25 dramas and films, but the 40-year-old still manages to hit a first in a career that spanned two decades: He will be starring in his first period drama role in Saimdang.

Starring in such dramas comes with its own set of challenges; for Song, who shot to fame in the 2003 hit Korean drama Autumn in My Heart, it was having to don a beard for his role.

“The thing about having to wear a beard is you have to be standing for one to two hours (while the beard is being put on), so that takes a lot of time,” said Song through a translator. That is why sometimes, he eats his meals while his beard is still on, he quipped.

Song was in town over the weekend to promote Saimdang, a drama based on the life of female artist and poet Shim Saimdang. It will air on Jan 26 on Korean entertainment channel Oh!K. Leading Korean actress Lee Young-Ae who is making a comeback after an 11-year hiatus, will play the titular role, while Song plays the role of Lee Gyeom, a painter and artist who also serves as Shim Saimdang’s love interest.

To Song, Lee Gyeom is everything that he is not.

While his character is skilled in the arts, Song himself, unfortunately, is not, given a “traumatic experience” he had many years ago. “When I was young, I was in this art club and then we had to participate in certain events,” Song shared. During a particular event, his teacher made him draw one art piece a day, and this went on “for about one to two months” — a process was so tiring it turned him off art and drawing entirely. “That actually became (a form of) trauma to me,” he added.

Proficiency in art aside, his character is also good in archery and plays a traditional Korean stringed instrument, Geomungo. “It’s really unrealistic you know. In the drama, he can do anything and everything,” Song said wryly.

He even pales in comparison when it comes to the love arena, he added.

“(Lee Gyeom) is somebody that...is a bit better than me in terms of how much he loves Saimdang. So when you look at the drama, even though Saimdang gets married and she has a kid, I still love her and I still care for her, which is a bit out of reality right?”

Song continued: “I mean, I don’t know how I can do it (in real life).”

Still, no matter how “out of reality” his character may be, Song could at least find something he could relate to in Lee Gyeom, which we think Chinese actress Liu Yi Fei — whom he is said to be dating — would appreciate.

“If I really like a person, if I love a person, I think I would only have eyes for the person like Lee Gyeom. I would love and care for that one person.”

Everybody say, “Aww”.

Saimdang will air on Oh!K (Singtel TV Ch 525/611 and Singtel Cast (Hallyu Pack) starting Jan 26 at 9pm.

Archived